DP Research Thread #3 ("Newer")

I just tested using Transform when Ditto had had PP Ups used on Transform. The first move copied has increased maximum PP (but still 5 current PP) and all the others have unboosted max PP. I presume that Transform remembers how many PP ups were used based on the slots each move is in. This matters for the purpose of the Leppa Berry.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
Following up on Obi's defrosting graph, I used Graph to perform a regression analysis to find the best value of r assuming that defrosting follows the formula given by X-Act: p = 1 - (1-r)^(n+1)

According to this, the best value of r for this data is 23.190067%.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yeah, but that doesn't make r = 23.19%. We can only approximate it using empirical techniques.

A less painful task to find r would be if someone looked at the rom.

That said, I reiterate that that value seems similar to 60/256 (the probability that Quick Claw activated in GSC).

I'm sorry if this doesn't really belong here, but I'm unaware of anywhere else that it would fit.

I heard from a friend that Gravity increases the chances of "[Pokémon] is fully paralyzed! It can't move!" from 1/3 to 2/3 when in effect.

I tried testing on Shoddy, but wasn't able to challenge myself. So I used a Probopass with Thunderwave/Gravity in regular battling on Shoddy. It did seem that a Pokémon was "Fully paralyzed" more often than not, but I've heard Shoddy has tendencies to 'hax' status conditions, so I can't be sure of anything.

So in short, would somebody with reasonable means be able to test this out? It would be very interesting if it were true, because it does sound logical. I just don't want a Pokémon based on something that I believe is true based on the limited testing I was able to do.

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
If it happens on Shoddy, that does not mean it happens in-game; And if it hasn't been confirmed in-game, it would not be programmed into Shoddy.

I MAY test this one, but my time's too tight to do it tonight- If no one has done it by tomorrow, I'll tackle it.

Also, I thought regular paralyze rate was 1/4, though I might be remembering incorrectly.

X-Act

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I would like to divert everyone's attention to what a certain 0n1|1nk posted in the DP damage formula thread:
0n1|1nk said:
sorry to bother you but actually in the game the rand number is coded as a multiplication by a rand number between 217 and 255 inclusive followed by another multiplication by 100 then divided by 255 (i know it changes very little)
If this were true, this would mean that although the random number in the formula is truly between 85 and 100 inclusive, these numbers are not chosen with uniform probability. Interestingly, 100, responsible for dealing maximum damage, would the least probable to be chosen (with only 1/39 probability). 86, 88, 91, 93, 95, 97 and 99 would have 2/39 probability of being chosen (twice as much as 100), while the remaining numbers (85, 87, 89, 90, 92, 94, 96 and 98) would have 3/39 probability of being chosen (three times as much as 100).

Now I'm mentioning this because when Peterko and I were busy testing the damage formula, I did notice certain numbers being chosen more often than others, and I actually remember certain numbers like 85 (minimum damage) being chosen quite often, and 100 (maximum damage) being chosen much more rarely. I think Peterko can confirm this too. At the time, I thought that the RNG was just being a bit cruel with us, but now I can see why this was happening. I'm really inclined to believe this guy, whoever he is. What do other people (in particular Peterko) think of this?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I would like to divert everyone's attention to what a certain 0n1|1nk posted in the DP damage formula thread:

If this were true, this would mean that although the random number in the formula is truly between 85 and 100 inclusive, these numbers are not chosen with uniform probability. Interestingly, 100, responsible for dealing maximum damage, would the least probable to be chosen (with only 1/39 probability). 86, 88, 91, 93, 95, 97 and 99 would have 2/39 probability of being chosen (twice as much as 100), while the remaining numbers (85, 87, 89, 90, 92, 94, 96 and 98) would have 3/39 probability of being chosen (three times as much as 100).

Now I'm mentioning this because when Peterko and I were busy testing the damage formula, I did notice certain numbers being chosen more often than others, and I actually remember certain numbers like 85 (minimum damage) being chosen quite often, and 100 (maximum damage) being chosen much more rarely. I think Peterko can confirm this too. At the time, I thought that the RNG was just being a bit cruel with us, but now I can see why this was happening. I'm really inclined to believe this guy, whoever he is. What do other people (in particular Peterko) think of this?
Well, if this happens with the damage formula, so maybe it's the same for random IVs on wild pokémon and breeding?

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
Huh, that's very interesting. One more of those reasons Shoddy haxs more than the actual game? XD

To be serious, I think that there is no reason not to believe him. He would have nothing to gain by lying and it's backed up by your experience.

X-Act

On a totally unrelated note, is it true that Seed Flare's secondary effect harshly lowers the opponent's SpDef (meaning it lowers it by two levels instead of just one)?

When my Amibpom whacked himself in confusion today on Shoddy I was wondering: does Technician boost the base power of the self-hitting attack of confusion? I'm inclined to say no but since it is technically a 50 Base Power attack (iirc)...

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
what about using gravity and spikes hurting levitates
IIRC, Spikes/Toxic Spikes DO hit fliers/levitators during Gravity- They work like ground moves. I can't seem to find the relevant research, though.

Damn you, search tool.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yes, Gravity makes Fliers vulnerable to all forms of Spikes, so under Gravity, Charizard can take up to 75% damage on a switch in and be badly poisoned.

In addition to my previous post, I was wondering if it was confirmed that Wonder Guard worked like I described here.

I think I read somewhere that Wonder Guard doesn't actually do what it says. It doesn't make you immune to anything you're not weak against - it makes you immune to anything but Dark, Fire, Ghost, Rock and Flying. That makes no difference for Shedinja, but for anything hacked with Wonder Guard that is where the key weakness lie. This would also explain why Fire Fang is reported to work on it.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nope, Fire Fang is just an oddity. That's why people complain about "Wondertomb" all the time. Only Fire Fang, Scrappy Normal / Fighting, and Foresight Normal / Fighting attacks hit it.

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
you could pretty much predict my position :) I basically don´t trust everyone who says something reasonable...I don´t think I can confirm this 100% unless I specifically write down 100 or don´t know how many damages in a row, in one test (I wanted to answer this one with a test result but I feel like my pokémon addiction faded away in the last 4-5 days so I´m having sort of a break right now)

no idea why he sent me a PM instead of just posting here, I don´t understand what exactly he means either but well...
I am Gengar said:
you or someone else may have already done this, (i am not sure because i did not read the entire research thread), but for the fissure formula you could add a multiplier, Cmprsn(UsrLvl-TrgtLvl)+30
where Cmprsn (comparison) is 1 if user's level is = or > target's level or 0 is user's level is < target's level

X-Act

What he's saying is that the accuracy is 0 if the user's Level is greater than the opponent's level, so you can write the formula as

C(UL - FL + 30)

where C is 0 if UL > FL, and 1 otherwise. UL is the user's level and FL is the foe's level.

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
If the user's level is lower, it doesn't miss-
But it failed!
Still no reason to add it, it's just unnecessary.

What is Techinician's interaction with struggle does it boost it also how does it work with Beat Up?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)