Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Monotype Edition

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you're thinking of making a topic that can be answered with one post, please post it in this thread instead. Any new threads should be for discussion/events and need to be approved!

When posting in this thread, please follow these guidelines:

1. Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.

2. While answering Yes/No question, please quote the question you're referring to. It gets confusing otherwise.

3. At least do a simple google search before asking the question here.

Frequently Asked Questions
What does [move / item / ability] do?

Check out the Smogon Strategy Dex or Pokemon Showdown's Dex. They have lots of great information on competitive Pokemon battling!

What is banned from Monotype?
The Monotype banlist is on the Smogon Strategy Dex too! Note: the Sun & Moon banlist isn't upload at the time this is being written. Instead, see the Monotype Sun & Moon discussion thread.

How does Monotype handle Mega-Evolutions that change typing?
Why can't I use Mega-Gyarados on my Flying team or my Dark team?

When using a mega evolution that changes its typing, the base form and mega evolution must retain the typing of your team.

This means you can only use Mega Gyarados on a Mono-Water team because Mega Gyarados and regular Gyarados only share a Water typing. Similarly, Mega-Aggron can only be used on Mono-Steel, Mega Charizard X can only be used on Mono-Fire, and Mega Altaria can only be used on Mono-Dragon.

Last edited by a moderator:
So as far as I know, this list has all the megas that aren't obtainable in sun/moon. Is the plan to continue without them, or are we going to pretend they exist in the games? I know there's the possibility of them showing up in events, but it might be a long time before something like that happens.

edit: apparently zardxite isn't released either?
e2: apparently none of the gen 1 starter megas exist

Last edited:
Hi. I am new to monotype and was wondering if there was a place i could go to for some quick tips on the format. I have always been interested in monotype teams, but usually I'm just rerunning through all the different games with whatever type and Pokemon seem fun at the time rather then giving it any real thought. I don't really do competative Pokemon either so if you have any place I can look at information on that or how monotype competative works that would also be great. Thanks all!

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hi. I am new to monotype and was wondering if there was a place i could go to for some quick tips on the format. I have always been interested in monotype teams, but usually I'm just rerunning through all the different games with whatever type and Pokemon seem fun at the time rather then giving it any real thought. I don't really do competative Pokemon either so if you have any place I can look at information on that or how monotype competative works that would also be great. Thanks all!
Welcome to Monotype! The best place to get quick teambuilding advice is probably the Monotype chat room on Pokemon Showdown. Ask any specific questions you have there and you'll probably get one or two helpful people to respond: http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype

Otherwise, we have pre-built sample teams for beginners to use. They're built by any random player that feels like contributing their team, so not all of them are perfect, but they are a good resource nonetheless. The teams are separated by format, so if you're looking for a Gen 7 Monotype team, check out the teams labelled SM: http://monotypeps.com:5002/

Welcome to Monotype! The best place to get quick teambuilding advice is probably the Monotype chat room on Pokemon Showdown. Ask any specific questions you have there and you'll probably get one or two helpful people to respond: http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype

Otherwise, we have pre-built sample teams for beginners to use. They're built by any random player that feels like contributing their team, so not all of them are perfect, but they are a good resource nonetheless. The teams are separated by format, so if you're looking for a Gen 7 Monotype team, check out the teams labelled SM: http://monotypeps.com:5002/
Thank you so much for the info and quick response!

Where is the best to get teambuilding advice for a team? I am a new player to both Monotype and competitive Pokemon as a whole, and I currently need help building a team, a Mono Poison type to be specific. I know there is the Chatroom in Showdown, but I am not allowed to chat in there since my PS account isn't week old and I haven't played a ranked game, I think that is what it said. Thanks.

Where is the best to get teambuilding advice for a team? I am a new player to both Monotype and competitive Pokemon as a whole, and I currently need help building a team, a Mono Poison type to be specific. I know there is the Chatroom in Showdown, but I am not allowed to chat in there since my PS account isn't week old and I haven't played a ranked game, I think that is what it said. Thanks.
Welcome to Smogon! You can ask a moderator to remove the chat restriction. In general we'd be happy to do that for you.
E: I should clarify, a monotype chat moderator can allow you to talk in our room.

Welcome to Smogon! You can ask a moderator to remove the chat restriction. In general we'd be happy to do that for you.
E: I should clarify, a monotype chat moderator can allow you to talk in our room.
Alright, thank you and I didn't know.

Are all the Megas gonna be available before long? I only ask because there is only a handful of them right now, and in this video, it clearly shows Mega-Houndoom and Mega-Tyranitar, who aren't available on Showdown. I know this maybe the wrong area, but I mainly just play Monotype.

Are all the Megas gonna be available before long? I only ask because there is only a handful of them right now, and in this video, it clearly shows Mega-Houndoom and Mega-Tyranitar, who aren't available on Showdown. I know this maybe the wrong area, but I mainly just play Monotype.
we don't know when other unreleased megas will be released (if ever), but afaik enemy trainers in the postgame battle tree thing can use megas whose stones can't be found in the S/M Games

we don't know when other unreleased megas will be released (if ever), but afaik enemy trainers in the postgame battle tree thing can use megas whose stones can't be found in the S/M Games
If the in-game trainers can use them doesn't that mean, we should also?

If the in-game trainers can use them doesn't that mean, we should also?
i don't know what else you want me to say, they're not obtainable in game and we shouldn't equate ourselves with NPCs
edit: in case i wasn't clear, look at this (from earlier in this thread)
We play by the mechanics in the games, so if they're unattainable in gen7 then we won't use them.

Last edited:
First real post in any Monotype thread, despite the fact that I absolutely have loved the idea of Monotype since I first noticed it was a thing. Just a cool way to style a team like a Gym Leader and to really get you to find ways to get them to work. Played on the ladder a bit in ORAS but spent most of my time just switching types to try and find something workable with each type. Probably had my best success with Mono-Water (M-Sharpedo, Cleric Lanturn w/ Volt Absorb, Scarf Keldeo, Azurill, Rotom-W, and Politoed). Anyway, enough about that, onto my actual question.

At the risk of sounding terribly ignorant, what makes Armaldo S-rank for Bug?

Acast

At the risk of sounding terribly ignorant, what makes Armaldo S-rank for Bug?
It can use Rapid Spin to keep Stealth Rock off the field (something Bug teams despise) and, outside of the newly introduced Araquanid, it's the best switch-in for Fire moves that Bug has access to. Another positive trait is that it can switch in on Flying moves, but that role isn't as important as the other two I mentioned. I have limited experience with Bug so someone else might be able to give you a more detailed answer, but those are the main reasons as far as I'm aware.

It can use Rapid Spin to keep Stealth Rock off the field (something Bug teams despise) and, outside of the newly introduced Araquanid, it's the best switch-in for Fire moves that Bug has access to. Another positive trait is that it can switch in on Flying moves, but that role isn't as important as the other two I mentioned. I have limited experience with Bug so someone else might be able to give you a more detailed answer, but those are the main reasons as far as I'm aware.
I did see Rapid Spin and it certainly is nice for Bugs to not double up on a 4x weakness to Fire if they want a spinner, since Scizor is an amazing Pokemon.

I'm not entirely sure how this works, but...

Once Telepathy is a legal ability on the Tapu Pokemon is there a chance that Lele will become unbanned, and Pyshic Surge will be a banned ability a la Power Construct?

Would be really nice to be able to get her back one day for Mono Fairy.

Acast

I'm not entirely sure how this works, but...

Once Telepathy is a legal ability on the Tapu Pokemon is there a chance that Lele will become unbanned, and Pyshic Surge will be a banned ability a la Power Construct?

Would be really nice to be able to get her back one day for Mono Fairy.
Honestly, I don't see a chance of that happening. In Gen 6, we didn't ban Protean and Gale Wings. We banned Greninja and Talonflame. It doesn't matter that the pokemon is manageable without its ability. Some user who I can't remember said this in a policy review thread: We tier pokemon; not parts of them.

Power Construct is different. It brings about a permanent form change that results in what is essentially a new pokemon, somewhat similar to mega evolution. Banning Power Construct is essentially banning Zygarde-Complete. A similar situation is Battle Bond Greninja. The council has been looking into the possibility of banning Battle Bond instead of Greninja as a whole because it brings about a permanent form change. The reason we are willing to ban Power Construct and Battle Bond but not Psychic Surge is because Tapu Lele is still Tapu Lele no matter which ability it has. You can't say the same for Greninja and Zygarde.

Hi, im new in smogon ( and sorta in pokemon too ) so hope i can find a way to contribute to the community and other fellow pokemon players, now more on topic, how can i find someone to teach me more about monotype ? i'd gave monotype a shoot in gen 6 and i fell in love with this meta but i have to learn a lot of things about teambuilding and such

Hi, im new in smogon ( and sorta in pokemon too ) so hope i can find a way to contribute to the community and other fellow pokemon players, now more on topic, how can i find someone to teach me more about monotype ? i'd gave monotype a shoot in gen 6 and i fell in love with this meta but i have to learn a lot of things about teambuilding and such
The Monotype Tutoring Program should be up and running again soon, when that comes around I'd highly reccomend you sign up for that! As for what to do for now, good places to start I'd reccomend would be the Viability Rankings thread (so you know what are some good pokemon on each type, how big of a role they play, ect), and the Good Cores thread (gives you a hint of what are some pairs of Pokemon that do well in the current metagame). Otherwise, read up on some discussion, and watch some of the things coming up in the Monotype room on PS! I wish you the best of luck, and if you want any additional help, almost any staff including myself are more than willing to answer any additional questions you have. I hope you enjoy the metagame otherwise! :)

Lately the monotype room has been hosting a few gen-6 tournaments in gen7 ubers format, which allows the use of mega stones that are currently unavailable in gen7. However, there are some mechanic differences- Dark types and prankster, the way speed ability changes is handled on megas, and a few other ones that affect a smaller number of users (In my case, gen 6 knock off would activate kee berry's effect, while gen7 knock off removes the item with no activation, this also applies to rocky helmet procs).

Is there any plans to move gen 6 tournies in the mono room to a gen6 format?

I know that doing so in the simulator's current state would cause conflicts with lando-Incarnate, deoxys speed, and other mono approved mons due to the gen6 OU white list. Still, I largely find the mechanic changes to be a more annoying compromise than the inadvertent removal of a few mons.

Lately the monotype room has been hosting a few gen-6 tournaments in gen7 ubers format, which allows the use of mega stones that are currently unavailable in gen7. However, there are some mechanic differences- Dark types and prankster, the way speed ability changes is handled on megas, and a few other ones that affect a smaller number of users (In my case, gen 6 knock off would activate kee berry's effect, while gen7 knock off removes the item with no activation, this also applies to rocky helmet procs).

Is there any plans to move gen 6 tournies in the mono room to a gen6 format?

I know that doing so in the simulator's current state would cause conflicts with lando-Incarnate, deoxys speed, and other mono approved mons due to the gen6 OU white list. Still, I largely find the mechanic changes to be a more annoying compromise than the inadvertent removal of a few mons.
The ORAS Monotype tournaments are all already hosted in a Gen 6 format, the Gen 6 Ubers. It's not hosted in Gen 7.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)