Online Competition Alola Friendly [Post Your Results!]

Any way to stop annoy glalie moody ?\
I can't do any thing about it
I've been using Alolan Sandslash, and its a pretty good counter, thanks to an immunity to Sheer Cold, and a times 1/4 resistence to frost breath. It can Swords Dance to bypass defense boosts, really you only have to worry evasion boosts.

Cloyster, Perish Song Mega Gengar, Roar/Haze/Taunt/Encore anything, Sturdy Magnezone/ton. There's lots of stuff.
Mega Gengar isn't legal.

Last edited by a moderator:
This probably wasn't a consideration at the time because bank was unreleased, but the rules don't say anything about the Pokemon being obtained in alola so I'm assuming past gen mons are OK as long as they're in the alola dex?

This probably wasn't a consideration at the time because bank was unreleased, but the rules don't say anything about the Pokemon being obtained in alola so I'm assuming past gen mons are OK as long as they're in the alola dex?
I'm pretty sure the rules only allow pokemon with the clover to be used.

No, bank-only Pokemon ( moves included ) aren't being allowed. I just tested this by trying to lock my team with a Dragonite and Clefable I had from Pokemon X and they were both rejected.

Went 11-4 with about 1600 points today, Arcanine is by far my MVP vs the likes of Celesteela and Pheromosa.
Most annoying Mon I faced was Rocky Helmet Pyukumuku after my taunt user fainted, anyone knows how to handle this thing in general?

Went 11-4 with about 1600 points today, Arcanine is by far my MVP vs the likes of Celesteela and Pheromosa.
Most annoying Mon I faced was Rocky Helmet Pyukumuku after my taunt user fainted, anyone knows how to handle this thing in general?
Strong special attacks

Taunt. Seriously, this thing hasn't got a single offensive move. Anyway I went around 1640, 13-2 Not bad considering this is my first run in the Master's Division. First loss was against a Ninetales mirror matchup, too many sp.atk drops and Aurora Veil. The other scarf Silvally, which caught me off guard.

Taunt. Seriously, this thing hasn't got a single offensive move. Anyway I went around 1640, 13-2 Not bad considering this is my first run in the Master's Division. First loss was against a Ninetales mirror matchup, too many sp.atk drops and Aurora Veil. The other scarf Silvally, which caught me off guard.
Yeah thats true, the problem was that my only Taunt-User fainted early cuz of a bad predict by me. In general I think that this Mons which u dont see that often are the most dangerous, with the likes of Pheromosa or the Tapus I got no real problems

Ugh. I thought Taunt would be enough, but I'm only a few battles in and already regretting not having Haze.

I wish there were fewer stall teams so I could get all my matches in without getting bored.

Yeah thats true, the problem was that my only Taunt-User fainted early cuz of a bad predict by me. In general I think that this Mons which u dont see that often are the most dangerous, with the likes of Pheromosa or the Tapus I got no real problems
That's because stuff like the Tapus and revenge killers such as Pheromosa are things you're usually well prepared for because they're common place in the ladder, and this is where the surprise factor plays in For instance, almost nobody expected Scarf Gengar and it literally won me one of my matches single handedly simply because the thought that my Gengar could've been locked into a single move never crossed my opponent's mind ( for context: he had Tapu Lele and my Gengar was locked into Thunderbolt. He didn't switch it in until Tapu Lele was his very last pokemon and at that point I could just switch out and take Lele out with Sludge Bomb the following turn). Bottom line is: they're dangerous because they're unexpected, but that alone doesn't mean it's good. Like, someone up above mentioned Scarf Silvally... man that's bad, but would've fucked me up good too.

Anyway, I'm hovering around the 1600s. Not really sure what my win:loss ratio is and I'm sooooo glad the game no longer tells you how good or badly you're doing. Back in Gen6 whenever I would see how many losses I had I would get anxious and tilt all the way down to hell.

A lot of noob teams out there early on, get your fix fast!

And good teams piloted by n00b players. *looks at the kid who kept spamming HJK after I'd revealed both Protect Celesteela and Alolawak*

I should've saved that battle... Well, less a battle and more a kamikaze run, really. Yeesh.

EDIT: 30 matches down, 21 wins to 9 losses. My weak spot is definitely Gyarados; my team relies on the Alolawak + Celesteela core and their backup is suited to beating offensive sets, not weird defensive ones (several losses to Toxic/Rocky Helmet and TWave/Rocky Helmet, what). Aside from that, though, Bone 'n' Boat is bloody invincible.

Last edited:
I'm not going to lie, I barely put any time or effort into creating a legitimate team. I was rather content with creating themed teams for the last couple of years that limited my freedom in these competitions, but this unlimited freedom caused me to lose any urgency to create a team for this competition. Now I'm pretty much losing every match I play because I entered this game for the BP (and because I suck), though it would be nice if my opponent wasn't spamming Shiny Pokemon.

That's because stuff like the Tapus and revenge killers such as Pheromosa are things you're usually well prepared for because they're common place in the ladder, and this is where the surprise factor plays in For instance, almost nobody expected Scarf Gengar and it literally won me one of my matches single handedly simply because the thought that my Gengar could've been locked into a single move never crossed my opponent's mind ( for context: he had Tapu Lele and my Gengar was locked into Thunderbolt. He didn't switch it in until Tapu Lele was his very last pokemon and at that point I could just switch out and take Lele out with Sludge Bomb the following turn). Bottom line is: they're dangerous because they're unexpected, but that alone doesn't mean it's good. Like, someone up above mentioned Scarf Silvally... man that's bad, but would've fucked me up good too.

Anyway, I'm hovering around the 1600s. Not really sure what my win:loss ratio is and I'm sooooo glad the game no longer tells you how good or badly you're doing. Back in Gen6 whenever I would see how many losses I had I would get anxious and tilt all the way down to hell.
Yeah thats true, I play a kinda gimnick set on A-Muk With Rock Polish and this alone got me some wins. I think in general it is, like you already mentioned, pretty effective to play some unexpected stuff in this online tournaments cuz it is just BO1.

My first time playing competitive and I'm 24-6, I have 2 losses due to disconnect, I don't know why it disconnected me and it should have a reconnect timer or something because it's not fair to lose like this...

My first time playing competitive and I'm 24-6, I have 2 losses due to disconnect, I don't know why it disconnected me and it should have a reconnect timer or something because it's not fair to lose like this...
I'm having some really stupid bad luck on disconnects too. Over half of my opponents seem like new players and have disconnected so I've been stuck at 1,500-ish points for like 5 battles now.... You don't get any points for opponents disconnecting. And even if they punish those players it still sucks because I'm not getting any points. So I'm wasting my battles. This is frustrating. :/

I'm having some really stupid bad luck on disconnects too. Over half of my opponents seem like new players and have disconnected so I've been stuck at 1,500-ish points for like 5 battles now.... You don't get any points for opponents disconnecting. And even if they punish those players it still sucks because I'm not getting any points. So I'm wasting my battles. This is frustrating. :/
Are you sure about that? Whenever someone DCs on me it always counts as a win in my favour and my rank has always got up when that happens. Weird.

Are you sure about that? Whenever someone DCs on me it always counts as a win in my favour and my rank has always got up when that happens. Weird.
My rank doesn't go up. But I am 99% sure it is them disconnecting. It happens when I am about to win. And I am not having any wi-fi issues. I have 3 bars. I have had 5 battles so far where I got up my Cloyster to +2 with shell smash and swept their whole entire team, until the last one there is a disconnect issue...

Edit: My rank didn't go down either when it disconnected. My first battle was a comm error and it stayed at 1500. Then I kept having disconnects so I have been kind of stuck at a low rank because its not going up or down.

um, if the opponent disconnects, it's points for you.

So I did a good amount of battles today and now I have a 15-3 record. The team has pulled out much better than I thought, although I cannot find a reason to pick Porygon2.

Other than my second loss (which happened thanks to a crit Cross Poison ruining my chance of coming back, after wrongly thinking Modest Gengar can OHKO Crobat with a Thunderbolt - PROTIP: It's impossible) and a battle where I won with a key outprediction, everything was mostly straightforward.

Some things I noted were someone in the range of the mid 1600s having his Xurkitree use Volt Switch on Marowak (and his team being horribly weak to Marowak overall) and a cool SubPunch Buzzwole variation that had a Fightinium Z instead of Leftovers if you don't find the moment to Sub (and it didn't thanks to a Moonblast).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)