Online Competition Kanto x Alola Regional Rumble

After I playing a little bit on PS! and some fine tuning my team is holding its own pretty damn well, sitting at #4 in the ladder rn. From what I've seen Scarf Gengar is still lit af. And thanks to bank now being allowed I could fix my terrible match-up against Stall by running the following set:

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Destiny Bond
- Trick

Destiny Bond so I can remove Alola-Muk which is a big nuisance to my team if Arcanine or Silvally are down. I forwent Coverage for the sake of just dismantling unsuspecting Stall teams. I had this one battle where I sucessfully managed to Scarf Toxapex and tricked Chansey's Eviolite for a Black Sludge. It felt really great to have the whole situation under control. Yall should give this Poke a try.

After I playing a little bit on PS! and some fine tuning my team is holding its own pretty damn well, sitting at #4 in the ladder rn. From what I've seen Scarf Gengar is still lit af. And thanks to bank now being allowed I could fix my terrible match-up against Stall by running the following set:

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Destiny Bond
- Trick

Destiny Bond so I can remove Alola-Muk which is a big nuisance to my team if Arcanine or Silvally are down. I forwent Coverage for the sake of just dismantling unsuspecting Stall teams. I had this one battle where I sucessfully managed to Scarf Toxapex and tricked Chansey's Eviolite for a Black Sludge. It felt really great to have the whole situation under control. Yall should give this Poke a try.
I'd so much like to try out this improved Scarf Gengar on cartridge but I don't have X nor Y >.<

PS: I'm curious as to whether Dodrio is actually useable or not. I'm not sure if I can get one with Knock Off (mostly just for removing Eviolites and Thick Clubs because Brave Bird otherwise hits harder, and almost as hard as a Super Effective Jump Kick) as I have yet to get the Ditto Mirage Spots in Alpha Sapphire. This is what I have in mind:

Dodrio @ Flynium Z
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Jump Kick / Knock Off

Jump Kick vs Knock Off depends on, as I said, being able to get a Ditto in Alpha Sapphire - if I'm not forgetting about anything else, Magnezone is the only Pokemon that is hit noticeably harder by Jump Kick than by Knock Off or Dodrio's STABs.

I'm not exactly worried about the faster attackers since I'll be using an Aurora Veil team (faster Electrics still OHKO so whatever), so no Quick Attack in consideration.

(And even if it isn't usable, it's not like I essentially used 5 Pokemon in the Alola Friendly as Porygon2 was completely out of place lol)

Last edited:
I'd so much like to try out this improved Scarf Gengar on cartridge but I don't have X nor Y >.<

PS: I'm curious as to whether Dodrio is actually useable or not. I'm not sure if I can get one with Knock Off (mostly just for removing Eviolites and Thick Clubs because Brave Bird otherwise hits harder, and almost as hard as a Super Effective Jump Kick) as I have yet to get the Ditto Mirage Spots in Alpha Sapphire. This is what I have in mind:

Dodrio @ Flynium Z
Ability: Early Bird
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Jump Kick / Knock Off

Jump Kick vs Knock Off depends on, as I said, being able to get a Ditto in Alpha Sapphire - if I'm not forgetting about anything else, Magnezone is the only Pokemon that is hit noticeably harder by Jump Kick than by Knock Off or Dodrio's STABs.

I'm not exactly worried about the faster attackers since I'll be using an Aurora Veil team (faster Electrics still OHKO so whatever), so no Quick Attack in consideration.

(And even if it isn't usable, it's not like I essentially used 5 Pokemon in the Alola Friendly as Porygon2 was completely out of place lol)
Gonna be honest with you, the meta isn't favourable to it. Magnezone and Tapu Koko are literally everywhere and I can't really picture Dodrio having enough breathing room to actually pull it off. If you really wanna try something from RBY VC, I'd recommend Tauros. It's bulkier and stronger and has a broader asset of coverage moves to chose from.

Tauros @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Level: 50
EVs: 244 Atk / 12 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Work Up
- Zen Headbutt
- Body Slam

It's kinda gimmicky but I'm half tempted into trying it myself. It simply hits soo hard at +1 on both sides of the spectrum that I can't really thing of anything able to withstand more than a single hit, and it'd greatly benefit from Aurora Veil; even more so than Dodrio I reckon. For example, Celesteela cannot switch in on it without a care in the world if you manage to get at least one Work Up up.

+1 12 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Celesteela: 109-130 (53.4 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery.

And there's also this:

+1 244 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Body Slam vs. 44 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 199-234 (60.1 - 70.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 244 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 104-125 (66.2 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+1 12 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 146-174 (84.8 - 101.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
+1 244 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Body Slam vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 160-188 (86.9 - 102.1%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
+1 244 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Body Slam vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Muk-Alola: 195-230 (91.9 - 108.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Note that none of these pokemon have a shot at 2HKO'ing Tauros if Aurora Veil is up so you always win the 1 on 1. Obviously you could also be a baller and go with Normalium-Z Porygon-Z + Adaptability Hyper Beam or Conversion, which I personally think is better, but Tauros a pretty cool mon if I dare say so myself. I *personally* think Dodrio is the inferior choice of the three, but whether you'll use it or not is entirely up to you.

Gonna be honest with you, the meta isn't favourable to it. Magnezone and Tapu Koko are literally everywhere and I can't really picture Dodrio having enough breathing room to actually pull it off. If you really wanna try something from RBY VC, I'd recommend Tauros. It's bulkier and stronger and has a broader asset of coverage moves to chose from.

Tauros @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Level: 50
EVs: 244 Atk / 12 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Work Up
- Zen Headbutt
- Body Slam

It's kinda gimmicky but I'm half tempted into trying it myself. It simply hits soo hard at +1 on both sides of the spectrum that I can't really thing of anything able to withstand more than a single hit, and it'd greatly benefit from Aurora Veil; even more so than Dodrio I reckon. For example, Celesteela cannot switch in on it without a care in the world if you manage to get at least one Work Up up.

+1 12 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Celesteela: 109-130 (53.4 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery.

And there's also this:

+1 244 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Body Slam vs. 44 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 199-234 (60.1 - 70.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 244 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 104-125 (66.2 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+1 12 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 146-174 (84.8 - 101.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
+1 244 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Body Slam vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 160-188 (86.9 - 102.1%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
+1 244 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Body Slam vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Muk-Alola: 195-230 (91.9 - 108.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Note that none of these pokemon have a shot at 2HKO'ing Tauros if Aurora Veil is up so you always win the 1 on 1. Obviously you could also be a baller and go with Normalium-Z Porygon-Z + Adaptability Hyper Beam or Conversion, which I personally think is better, but Tauros a pretty cool mon if I dare say so myself. I *personally* think Dodrio is the inferior choice of the three, but whether you'll use it or not is entirely up to you.
That Tauros set actually looks neat. May consider it if Dodrio does not really fare well as you think :P

That being said, I've tweaked that Dodrio set and I found a better item. With a Fightinium Z, an All-Out Pummeling OHKOes Magnezone unboosted, Chansey and Porygon2 at +2, while physically bulky Celesteela and Skarmory are pretty much the only things that can switch in at +2 that don't resist the move.

Tapu Koko is still an issue, though.

Last edited:
I made a lot of changes on my team!

OLD TEAM

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Fire Fang

Mimikyu @ Focus Sash
Ability: Disguise
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance

Nihilego @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Light Screen
- Reflect

Charizard @ Choice Specs
Ability: Blaze
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Air Slash
- Tailwind
- Protect

Snorlax @ Normalium Z
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 130 HP / 252 Atk / 126 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Stockpile
- Body Slam
- Crunch

NEW TEAM

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Fire Fang

Mimikyu @ Focus Sash
Ability: Disguise
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance

Nihilego @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Light Screen
- Reflect

Arcanine @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Extreme Speed
- Wild Charge
- Morning Sun

Cloyster @ Red Card
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 126 Atk / 130 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tailwind
- Cotton Guard
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball

I was using too much the same 3 Pokémon: garchomp,Nihilego,Mimikyu. So i replaced Charizard with arcanine, i added celesteela to counter mimikyu but replaced it for whimsicott for tailwind support. Snorlax was too gimmicky so i replaced it with Cloyster.

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Destiny Bond
- Trick

I will definitely try this , just curious on why are you running modest and not timid. What benchmarks does modest hit that timid doesn't? Mostly curious :)

I will definitely try this , just curious on why are you running modest and not timid. What benchmarks does modest hit that timid doesn't? Mostly curious :)
Tapu Lele, basically.

Timid
252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele: 122-146 (83.5 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele: 138-164 (94.5 - 112.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Modest
252+ SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele: 134-162 (91.7 - 110.9%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele: 152-180 (104.1 - 123.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And you're exactly 1 point faster than Scarf Lele.

I personally feel like 110 base speed + Scarf doesn't really warrant a positive nature since you're already outspeeding everything you need to outspeed without it. The only thing you miss out on is ScarfChomp, but you're not KO'ing it anyway so what's the point?

252 SpA Gengar Icy Wind vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 144-172 (78.2 - 93.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 79-94 (42.9 - 51%) -- 5.5% chance to 2HKO

Plus, sometimes it's good to be outsped.

Last edited:
Tapu Lele, basically.

Timid
252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele: 122-146 (83.5 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele: 138-164 (94.5 - 112.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Modest
252+ SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele: 134-162 (91.7 - 110.9%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele: 152-180 (104.1 - 123.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And you're exactly 1 point faster than Scarf Lele.

Plus, I personally feel like 110 base speed + Scarf doesn't really warrant a positive nature since you're already outspeeding everything you need to outspeed with a neutral nature. The only thing you miss out on is ScarfChomp, but you're no KO'ing it anyway so what's the point?

252 SpA Gengar Icy Wind vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 144-172 (78.2 - 93.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 79-94 (42.9 - 51%) -- 5.5% chance to 2HKO
Thanks for the clarification :)

Not really, since it's still restricted to Pokemon available in Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Sun and Moon.

It does not include everything that can be used in the BSS, and Mega Evolutions are still not allowed.
Ok so it's Alola Friendly + bank mons versions of Alola Friendly + VC mons. Any significant move tutors from bank ?

Top 10 most fastest Pokémon that are allowed in the Kanto X Alola Regional Rumble!

1.Pheromosa

2. Electrode

3. Jolteon

4. Aerodactyl

5. Crobat

6.Tapu Koko

7. Talonflame

8. Weavile

9. Ribombee

10. (Non-Alolan) Dugtrio

Wanted to ask how viable are the birds to use in a team(Zapdos I know it is decent enough , mostly asking about Moltres and Articuno). Thanks in advance.

My work schedule changed from midnights to days, so I can't think and I'm still kinda confused on allowed 'mons ._.

Is it RBY/SM bred/caught only, or can I grab my Charmander bred in XY?

I mean "the only Pokémon you can use are those you could discover in the Kanto region in Pokémon Red, Pokémon Blue, or Pokémon Yellow" I see as being "Gen I 'dex Pokemon only" since Kanto in G/S/C/, FRLG, & HGSS all had more than just #1-150.

Even the regulations don't specify specific games, but specific 'dexes (Kanto & Alola).

Sorry, dumb question I know but I'm burned out

My work schedule changed from midnights to days, so I can't think and I'm still kinda confused on allowed 'mons ._.

Is it RBY/SM bred/caught only, or can I grab my Charmander bred in XY?

I mean "the only Pokémon you can use are those you could discover in the Kanto region in Pokémon Red, Pokémon Blue, or Pokémon Yellow" I see as being "Gen I 'dex Pokemon only" since Kanto in G/S/C/, FRLG, & HGSS all had more than just #1-150.

Even the regulations don't specify specific games, but specific 'dexes (Kanto & Alola).

Sorry, dumb question I know but I'm burned out
That's what it seems - Gen I or pokemon that are in the Alola Pokedex.

When registration begins we should get that clarified. Try to register a team with an XY-born Pokemon and see what happens. You don't lose anything as the team is not locked until you battle.

Yes people, Pokemon from the VC games are allowed, in fact you can bring a pokemon from any generation. Joe confirmed it and he's a pretty damn reliable source. cant say asked him and posted his answer here literally a page ago.

Wanted to ask how viable are the birds to use in a team(Zapdos I know it is decent enough , mostly asking about Moltres and Articuno). Thanks in advance.
Zapdos is pretty great, Articunos has the memetic Mind Reader + Sheer Cold combo going for it or Sheer Cold + SubRoost set but neither sets are anything to brag about; Moltres simply has no place in this comp, period.

Last edited:
So can we use Move Tutor moves? I was just wondering because it does list a move restriction that is a bit vague not sure if that "in-game character" only refers to SUMO

https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/dl-regulation/6004
Tutor Moves are taught by in-game characters, there's nothing vague about it. If it referred to SM only, they would've mentioned it but alas they didn't. So yes, you can use Tutor Moves from previous games just fine.

Charizard @ Firium Z
Ability: Solar Power
Nature: Modest/Timid
- Sunny Day
- Fire Blast/Flamethorwer
- Focus Blast/Roost
- Solarbeam/Roost

Can this Z Sunny Day set be somewhat viable?

Last edited:
Charizard @ Firium Z
Ability: Solar Power
Nature: Modest/Timid
- Sunny Day
- Fire Blast/Flamethorwer
- Focus Blast/Roost
- Solarbeam/Roost

Can this Z Sunny Day set be somewhat viable?
Wouldn't recommend it. Vanilla Charizard isn't bulky enough to afford setting up and can do nothing about Dragon types that are prowling the ladder, namely Garchomp & Dragonite; the latter can even use Charizard as set up fodder.

Last edited:
I'm looking to take magnezone off my team, and put in a zapdos. (Seeing as the magnezone sucked for me last time). If anyone has a good set idea for zapdos that they would be willing to share that would be awesome! The rest of the team is sash garchomp, fireum z arcainine, light clay alolan ninetails, scarf gengar, and evolite porygon2. Open to suggestions if you have any. Thanks.

Reading this thread has me happy as hell that I didn't transfer over all of my competitive Pokémon and ditto from AS to Sun for tutoring reasons. To think I'll actually have time to compete in this competition properly, unlike the last one. How useful would Jolteon be anyways for this competition? It's fast and my favorite eeveelution but from what I've seen so far, the go to electric type looks like Zapdos.

Also shout out to the one bringing up scarf Gengar, I can't resist using it. Lol

I'm looking to take magnezone off my team, and put in a zapdos. (Seeing as the magnezone sucked for me last time). If anyone has a good set idea for zapdos that they would be willing to share that would be awesome! The rest of the team is sash garchomp, fireum z arcainine, light clay alolan ninetails, scarf gengar, and evolite porygon2. Open to suggestions if you have any. Thanks.
I think the standard defensive Zapdos might work with your team :

Zapdos(Leftovers/Rocky Helmet)
Ability : Pressure or Static(static if you have the one transferred from R/B/Y)
Nature : Bold
EV Spread : 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA

Thunderbolt
Roost
Toxic / Heat Wave
Heat Wave / Whirlwind(You get Whirlwind from the R/B/Y Zapdos or otherwise Roar is still a good option)

Discharge might be an option instead of Thunderbolt for the higher chance to paralyze but doesn't go that well with Toxic. A specially defensive Calm Zapdos(252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA) is another good option that handles Tapu Koko pretty well.
I am not that good of player and this is just the common Zapdos build so other players here might help you more :)

Anyone have a good Lucario set for this? Here's what I'm planning on running:

Lucario @ Fightinum Z
Ability: Steadfast
Nature: Adamant

- Close Combat
- Iron Tail
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance

Figure I can force something out mid-game with him, set up a SD and sweep until someone faster than him comes out. Steadfast I like for the speed boost against possible Fake Out users. Adamant nature for more power when combined with SD and the Z Move. I'll have for support an Alolan Ninetales for Aurora Veil but I'm also thinking about Tailwind support too. Any advice?

Anyone have a good Lucario set for this? Here's what I'm planning on running:

Lucario @ Fightinum Z
Ability: Steadfast
Nature: Adamant

- Close Combat
- Iron Tail
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance

Figure I can force something out mid-game with him, set up a SD and sweep until someone faster than him comes out. Steadfast I like for the speed boost against possible Fake Out users. Adamant nature for more power when combined with SD and the Z Move. I'll have for support an Alolan Ninetales for Aurora Veil but I'm also thinking about Tailwind support too. Any advice?
I'm curious - what exactly is All-Out Pummeling achieving? OHKOing Celesteela and Skarmory? Ignoring Chansey's evasion boosts? Because +2 Close Combat is enough for pretty much everything else.

I'm curious - what exactly is All-Out Pummeling achieving? OHKOing Celesteela and Skarmory? Ignoring Chansey's evasion boosts? Because +2 Close Combat is enough for pretty much everything else.
It's definitely for Celesteela; mostly as a lure. They're likely to switch it in on Luc, and because I want nothing to do with that wannabe bamboo I need to nuke it straight to hell. Everything else will just get CC when he's at +2. Being able to do away with nonsense like Minimize Chansey is a big plus, too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)