Suggestions for Pokémon Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm quite new to Pokemon Showdown but I know most of the basics, but one think I noticed was that it didn't have a fullscreen feature which is quite sad, because having it in fullscreen would be amazing. Just wanted to give a idea on maybe adding a fullscreen feature. Thanks :3

Lionyx

メラミ
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I'm quite new to Pokemon Showdown but I know most of the basics, but one think I noticed was that it didn't have a fullscreen feature which is quite sad, because having it in fullscreen would be amazing. Just wanted to give a idea on maybe adding a fullscreen feature. Thanks :3
What kind of fullscreen feature are you talking about ? If you refer to the battles, you can do that by zooming in, it won't prevent you from playing since PS has been optimized for that too!
(and if you refer to making PS' site itself full screen, I'm pretty sure most browsers have a way to do that with any website)

Glitchwood High

formerly Err0r Mobutt
I have some suggestions.

1. Implement a more advanced find-a-user system. As of now, doing /msg [username] is just about the same as the Find-a-user function, which renders the button near useless. What I intend on is search that allows you to see all usernames (preferably all) that have the specific word mentioned in it. I can't tell you how many people I've forgotten that would benefit from this. Besides, the button is basically there for filling up space.

2. Have the option to play calming music automatically, playing whatever tune you choose. It'd slow down the server for that person, yes, but that's why I'm intending for it to be obligatory. Although it'd be not a lot more work to go to youtube, some people's internet are slow. And too many web tabs slow down a majority of computers, anyways.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have some suggestions.

1. Implement a more advanced find-a-user system. As of now, doing /msg [username] is just about the same as the Find-a-user function, which renders the button near useless. What I intend on is search that allows you to see all usernames (preferably all) that have the specific word mentioned in it. I can't tell you how many people I've forgotten that would benefit from this. Besides, the button is basically there for filling up space.

2. Have the option to play calming music automatically, playing whatever tune you choose. It'd slow down the server for that person, yes, but that's why I'm intending for it to be obligatory. Although it'd be not a lot more work to go to youtube, some people's internet are slow. And too many web tabs slow down a majority of computers, anyways.
If #1 is technically feasible and if its results are somehow displayed well, it seems an interesting idea to pursue. #2 just doesn't seem worth the effort, though, since it'd take a ton of new work and PS has a download client (see the "Install" button under "Play") if having multiple open tabs is a major concern. Further, since Showdown uses internet normally, the initial slowness combined with the additional slowdown you mention seem to make it further outclassed by youtube/etc.

everytime i try to play a game, the oppenent will leave of forfiet. i dont mind it very much, but it happens way to often, i was thinking that maybe if somebody repeatedly cuts games short they should get some kind of penalty, because more than half the game i play i have leavers, disconnecters, and forfeiters, and its really annoying, and ruins the fun for alot of players.

Brandon

My flop era is lowkey serving
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
everytime i try to play a game, the oppenent will leave of forfiet. i dont mind it very much, but it happens way to often, i was thinking that maybe if somebody repeatedly cuts games short they should get some kind of penalty, because more than half the game i play i have leavers, disconnecters, and forfeiters, and its really annoying, and ruins the fun for alot of players.
While I can understand your frustrations with not getting to play as many matches to the end, there's nothing in the plans to deal with this yet, and it'd likely be quite some time until it'd be considered/implemented. I'd say to just take the ladder rankings and move on to the next battle.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
They lose points on the ladder still, so that is a penalty already.

I think all public rooms should have an inbuilt staff chat meant only for staff. All rooms use stuff like Skype or Discord and it would make things more convinient

Lionyx

メラミ
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I think all public rooms should have an inbuilt staff chat meant only for staff. All rooms use stuff like Skype or Discord and it would make things more convinient
Groupchats can be made to host a staff conversation; if there's an important info that everyone needs to know then using the staffintro is a way to make everyone know about it

Groupchats can be made to host a staff conversation; if there's an important info that everyone needs to know then using the staffintro is a way to make everyone know about it
In addition to the above, modnotes can do that straight in room.

Brandon

My flop era is lowkey serving
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
If a room wanted to have a staff oriented room, they'd likely take the steps to get one. Many rooms are perfectly fine using a discord/skype/smogon conversation to get along with policies. If you're wanting to have a staff chat on ps, I'd talk to the room owners of the room instead.

The ROs of a public room can easily get a permanent staff room; they just need to request it.

I recommend doing so. From my experience it helps a lot, both for discussing current events, and socializing, which is important because it helps the staff get along and prevent drama.

(There's an argument to be made that the socializing would be better done in the main room to help keep it alive. This is true to an extent, but there's also things you only share in a private context.)

Last edited:
I have a suggestion to do a Double anything goes because its so annoying that i can't use more than one focus sashes! Please... + the fact that i can't use more than one shedinja and the OHKO Clause.

People, I have been wondering, what would happen if we made an alternate OU metagame (in a Other Metagame of the Month) with this alteration:

When a pokemon uses an attack with a secondary effect, it rolls as normal the chance to see if the secondary effect triggers, but instead of triggering immediately, it gives a warning to both players, and the NEXT time that same attack of that pokemon is selected, even if you change the pokemons back and forth, the secondary effect will trigger, and it will roll again for the next time you use it. Critical hits, confusion, full paralysis and misses will have a similar warning, but will reset if you change the pokemon.

This would also have the effect of preventing any miss, crit or secondary effect from happening the first time you use the attack, even if it had a guaranteed chance like in Rock Tomb. this in turn would make it easier to revenge kill some pokemon, and making using potent but innacurate attacks like Blizzard, Inferno, Zap Cannon and Focus Blast (remember, those would never freeze/burn/paralyze on the first hit, negating the obvious abuse) viable in a hit-and-run moveset.

In other words, make the luck-based factor of the game REACTABLE for both players. If you see the opponent will go crazy with freezes, you can switch whoever can absorb it in time, instead of getting automatically screwed simply because the RNG got pissed at you.

Adeleine

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Should we have a random battles viability ranking thread?
As of now we reserve official viability rankings for non-random formats, as the primary purposes of viability rankings are to help team building (of course impossible in Random Battles) and inform you of common threats to prepare for (rather difficult since no threat is more "common" than another in Random Battles, and it's rather harder to prepare for them with a random team).

I have a suggestion to do a Double anything goes because its so annoying that i can't use more than one focus sashes! Please... + the fact that i can't use more than one shedinja and the OHKO Clause.
As Anything Goes is an Other Metagame and not an official Showdown tier, that would be in the territory of the Other Metagames Forum. The idea has been raised before, and the OM staff have told me that they think it wouldn't have a high chance of approval, but if you wish still to submit it as a concept, go to the instruction post linked at the end of this post.

If you wish to play against a friend without OHKO clause etc., consider challenging them to a Doubles Custom Game and agreeing on rules beforehand. If you're looking for a Doubles format without Item Clause, in order to use more than one Focus Sash, the Smogon Doubles tiers lack the clause.

As a relevant sidenote, Anything Goes was primarily created to give Mega Rayquaza, who was/is too powerful for Singles Uber, a singles format it could call home. In Doubles Uber, Mega Rayquaza is not overpowered.

People, I have been wondering, what would happen if we made an alternate OU metagame (in a Other Metagame of the Month) with this alteration:

When a pokemon uses an attack with a secondary effect, it rolls as normal the chance to see if the secondary effect triggers, but instead of triggering immediately, it gives a warning to both players, and the NEXT time that same attack of that pokemon is selected, even if you change the pokemons back and forth, the secondary effect will trigger, and it will roll again for the next time you use it. Critical hits, confusion, full paralysis and misses will have a similar warning, but will reset if you change the pokemon.

This would also have the effect of preventing any miss, crit or secondary effect from happening the first time you use the attack, even if it had a guaranteed chance like in Rock Tomb. this in turn would make it easier to revenge kill some pokemon, and making using potent but innacurate attacks like Blizzard, Inferno, Zap Cannon and Focus Blast (remember, those would never freeze/burn/paralyze on the first hit, negating the obvious abuse) viable in a hit-and-run moveset.

In other words, make the luck-based factor of the game REACTABLE for both players. If you see the opponent will go crazy with freezes, you can switch whoever can absorb it in time, instead of getting automatically screwed simply because the RNG got pissed at you.
To submit Other Metagame ideas like these, refer to the "How to Submit a Metagame" section of the OM Rules thread here.

As of now we reserve official viability rankings for non-random formats, as the primary purposes of viability rankings are to help team building (of course impossible in Random Battles) and inform you of common threats to prepare for (rather difficult since no threat is more "common" than another in Random Battles, and it's rather harder to prepare for them with a random team).
I still think it could be interesting as a just for fun thing. Plus, some pokemon are lot more viable in randoms than other formats, like Sigiliph. If this isn't alright here, what part of the forum would you suggest for this?

Adeleine

I still think it could be interesting as a just for fun thing. Plus, some pokemon are lot more viable in randoms than other formats, like Sigiliph. If this isn't alright here, what part of the forum would you suggest for this?
If you wanted to make one of your own for fun, the Showdown forum would be fine imo

I've never intentionally left in the middle of a battle without clicking the forfeit button - but I lost several times "because of inactivity" after getting a disconnect. The problem is, that the disconnect countdown is way too short. Considering server lag and loading time, often the countdown has already finished when you get the disconnect warning so that you have no chance of continuing the battle. For example, using the "normal" player timer instead would grant players who don't timer-stall more time to reconnect.

PS: I dropped for more than 100 points in the rating just because of losing after a disconnect, after server lag caused me to receive the popup too late.

Also, it should be possible to report rude players so that they get banned.
Two days ago I had an extremely rude player who called me an "ass" and other bad things. I reported him to "global staff" members (those with an @ before the name) using pms, and ´provided a link to the replay, but never got any reaction.
Still haen't got any answer. especially the too short disconnect timer is so annoying - and I'm not the only one...

Adeleine

Tiksi I'd gladly want to, but those threads have been closed since months ago... any alternative?
I'm not sure which threads you refer to, so I'll be thorough so I don't miss anything.

The thread i linked you (which contains the How to Submit a Metagame post) can't be responded to because it's not where you submit metagame ideas; it just tells you how to do so. Once you've (as per the thread) made 20 posts in the Other Metagames forums/subforums and done the other steps, you can post it in Submissions. Submissions may appear empty since only the original idea poster and members of the Submission Review team can see posts in it, but it is in fact not dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)