(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It won't be an issue later in the future, but for now, we will just have to wait.
It will.

Say, what if you want to play through Sun or Moon in five years from now? Those Mega Stones will be completely unobtainable. Hopefully, they will be available without Events in future Gen VII games, otherwise this generation's legacy will be greatly impacted.

It will.

Say, what if you want to play through Sun or Moon in five years from now? Those Mega Stones will be completely unobtainable. Hopefully, they will be available without Events in future Gen VII games, otherwise this generation's legacy will be greatly impacted.
Same thing can be said for event only Pokemon that are unobtainable in their gen (and future gens once they're no longer supported). Victini, Arceus, Mew, Genesect, etc are generation defining Pokemon in terms of recognisability but cannot be obtained once their event is over. Legacy or not, once a generation is over it suffers and is no longer complete. I can't see this changing now for Mega Stones or even Z-Crystals despite them being so prominent throughout the game.

With Sun/Moon, a lot of cool stuff was added. However, there's something that has started to bother me, especially since PokéBank was reopened: Pokémon without a dex number. I just can't stand to see that empty space between the name and the nickname. It makes the Pokémon feel...illegitimate to me. The fact that they're not allowed in some Battle Competitions doesn't help, either. They should've just left the National Pokedex In-game, in my opinion.
Considering they always recycled entries for Pokemon not in the regional dexes (or sometimes Pokemon that were not introduced in that region) in the previous games, it's not exactly an issue.

For instance, when you play ORAS you see that Pokemon in the Hoenn region have long (and rather redundant) Pokedex entries, but once you start catching Pokemon that are not in the Hoenn dex... you see the one-liners that were taken straight from previous games.

A completely recycled entry is as good as no entry at all IMO.

(That being said, I was disappointed at Rotom not having its own entry in Sun/Moon)

Considering they always recycled entries for Pokemon not in the regional dexes (or sometimes Pokemon that were not introduced in that region) in the previous games, it's not exactly an issue.

For instance, when you play ORAS you see that Pokemon in the Hoenn region have long (and rather redundant) Pokedex entries, but once you start catching Pokemon that are not in the Hoenn dex... you see the one-liners that were taken straight from previous games.

(That being said, I was disappointed at Rotom not having its own entry in Sun/Moon)
Yeah, but the little thing I dislike here is the empty space in the summary screen. Yes, it is nitpicking but I don't like it.

Actually, most of those are from Ruby or Sapphire, save for Rayquaza and the (alternate) evolutions of Hoenn Pokemon like Gallade and Dusknoir. I'm more sad that the Alola dex gives entries for different formes of Pokemon like Wishiwashi's Solo and School formes and the Mega Evolutions, but nothing for non-Alola native Pokemon that have these, like Gallade and especially Rotom. (imagine the interesting tidbits it could say about Wash, Heat, etc.!)

It will.

What's the point of needing those mega stones in 5 years from now? Gen 8 will be out by then, and the only reason I would still have SUMO is to play through the story. And needing those megas in the future would be useless because megas aren't even available until postgame.

Ps: I'm pretty surprised that a moderater replied to my comment normally instead of telling me something about my post.

But can you even guarantee that Gen 8 would have the Mega Stone either? What if Gen 7 was the only way of obtaining a mega stone, as it gets completely ignored come Gen 8 (for the shiny new gimmick). I mean, replace five years with a slightly shorter time frame, that before Gen 8, and it still applies.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
But can you even guarantee that Gen 8 would have the Mega Stone either? What if Gen 7 was the only way of obtaining a mega stone, as it gets completely ignored come Gen 8 (for the shiny new gimmick). I mean, replace five years with a slightly shorter time frame, that before Gen 8, and it still applies.
I don't think they would get rid of the Mega Stones, they're too much part of the metagame now to just be removed, especially for some Pokemon (unlike Elemental Gems, which has sort of been replaced by Z-Crystals now). The issue is more if we get any new Mega Pokemon or they decided that now Gen VI is done they're done with Mega (except for maybe a Kalos remake). And who knows what they'll do with Z-Crystals.

I don't think they would get rid of the Mega Stones, they're too much part of the metagame now to just be removed, especially for some Pokemon (unlike Elemental Gems, which has sort of been replaced by Z-Crystals now). The issue is more if we get any new Mega Pokemon or they decided that now Gen VI is done they're done with Mega (except for maybe a Kalos remake). And who knows what they'll do with Z-Crystals.
I agree, I meant more like that the Mega mechanic would be in the game, but some stones might be unavailable, as there would be two successive generation of them getting the sideline. If Gen 8 has a shiny new gimmick (which I hope it doesn't), then it's unlikely we will get any new megas since Gen 7 didn't have them either.

Z-Crystals seem even more gimmicky than Mega Stones, so it's probably easier for them to be sidelined, or even possibly removed from Gen 8 all together (but this is a stretch) as they haven't been as well received as Mega Pokemon. I'd argue that if either Mega Stones or Z-Crystals ended up getting the sideline, Z-Crystals would go first.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
What's the point of needing those mega stones in 5 years from now? Gen 8 will be out by then, and the only reason I would still have SUMO is to play through the story. And needing those megas in the future would be useless because megas aren't even available until postgame.
The lack of an available Mega for a given Pokémon effectively amounts to a downgrade of that Pokémon. We all used to think of Lopunny, Mawile, Beedrill and others as completely useless Pokémon. Then Gen VI happened, and these Pokémon suddenly became really good and worthwhile to catch and train.

But without Megas... it's back to the scrap heap for the former Jokémons. It's comparable to taking Drizzle away from Politoed, or removing the Razor Claw so Sneasel can't evolve. I love seeing a Pokémon go from trash-tier to top-tier in a generational shift, and it'd be really sad to see them go back.

Then again, as you say... making the Megas postgame only kind of provided that downgrade already. The aforementioned crapmons-turned-champions are crapmons for SM ingame runs already, since their final power level is locked away until the postgame. That in itself was a pretty questionable decision, but without their Mega Stones they remain useless even then, for battle facility purposes for instance.

Ps: I'm pretty surprised that a moderater replied to my comment normally instead of telling me something about my post.
Well, the way to becoming a moderator goes through a lot of participation in the community and its discussions, after all. It's not like I stopped caring about these discussions after becoming a moderator by way of caring for them.

Something that irritates me significantly is the fact that they're still using temporary measures for what should be permanent (once released) additions to a game, whether digital distributions, or Serial Codes, or in store Mystery Gifts. Magearna has already given a perfect example of how to do a permanent method: QR code never expires, once it's on the internet it's essentially forever, and it's simply gated from steamrolling the main game, rather than arbitrarily waiting to introduce it.

I can understand the limited time methods for things like Shiny Tapu Koko, which are meant to be fancy limited edition versions of things we can get normally, but things like the Mega Stones or something as integral as the event exclusive species should be available outright at any time once they're out.

Something that irritates me significantly is the fact that they're still using temporary measures for what should be permanent (once released) additions to a game, whether digital distributions, or Serial Codes, or in store Mystery Gifts. Magearna has already given a perfect example of how to do a permanent method: QR code never expires, once it's on the internet it's essentially forever, and it's simply gated from steamrolling the main game, rather than arbitrarily waiting to introduce it.

I can understand the limited time methods for things like Shiny Tapu Koko, which are meant to be fancy limited edition versions of things we can get normally, but things like the Mega Stones or something as integral as the event exclusive species should be available outright at any time once they're out.
To be fair, codes for the Mega Stones have not been released yet. We don't know if the Mawilite and Beedrilite codes are going to be permanent. All we had is the tournament reward.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
One really big thing about Sun/Moon that grinds my gears is the fact that, save for a very small handful of Pokemon available via Island Scan, there's absolutely nothing but regional Pokemon throughout the game, both during the story and post-game. For one thing, it really hurts the variety of available Pokemon since there's no new species to find later in the game, but instead the same old common route Pokemon that you're most likely already sick of at this point, which is a major complaint in this thead alone.

But the two big reasons why no post-Nat Dex Pokemon really annoys me is because, A: it screws over anyone who's just getting into the games and/or lacks access to stable WiFi, and B: it will eventually become a major liability for the games a couple of years later.

Say you're the new guy on the block who hasn't played a Pokemon game since RBY, and after hopping on the Pokemon Go bandwagon, you decide to pick up Sun/Moon and give them a play. Since said individual lacks any of the earlier Pokemon titles, he's effectively shut off from 500 species of Pokemon unless he trades for them online. If you don't have easy access to stable WiFi, then that's a double-whammy.

Even if WiFi isn't a present issue for you, it's basically inevitable that, a few generations down the line, the 3DS's WiFi servers will go the way of the Wii and DS and be cut off entirely. Once that happens, you might as well rename Sun/Moon as R/S 2.0, because no one will have access to those 500 Pokemon anymore unless they're lucky enough to have the chance to trade locally with whatever future Gen VII game comes out; trading online won't be an option and transferring from previous Gen games will also be lost along with Bank's servers.

Everyone's worried about the availability of non-Alola Mega Stones in the future, but frankly that will end up being the least of Sun/Moon's problems; those stones will mean jack squat if the Pokemon themselves are heavily restricted or outright impossible to obtain.

While it is stupid that there's so few non-national dex pokemon available in the post game, getting angry over some bizzare point like 10 years from now when the serves go down not letting someone going down memory lane with Sun & Moon to have access to everything is just...why?

Like the same is basically true for gen 4 AND 5? Even with post-game mons, BW1 and 2 only has access to about half of them now that there's no dream world (even less considering the awful white forest debacle). You NEED access to another DS and a laundry list of other gen 4 titles.

And how does it screw over them, exactly. We'll keep it to present day scenarios. If they're just jumping in they're probably just in the mood for playing another game. What does this would-be person really miss out on? They still get access to a bunch of pokemon they havent otherwise and they can still play the game without another 500 mons. This person also probably did not want to catch them all enough to play any of the games from gens 2-6. The game even discourages filling out the pokedex now that there's no national dex (not even a stamp! 0 rewards for doing so!).

If they wanted to get into competitive battling then that means they're either in a league or need to do wi-fi. If the former they suddenly have an entire community available to help them get started and get any previous gen pokemon they need. Which, by the way, would likely include a wide number of pokemon that probably wouldn't be in these games in the first place; legendary pokemon come to mind immediately. If the alternative is wi-fi battling then they need a stable connection for that far more than trading and that will be the limiting factor; otherwise they also have instant access to trading with an even wider community to get whoever they like.

The only final alternative is battle tree which can easily be done with the tools SM provides, as our threads can attest to.

Again, though, I feel it is stupid that SM had so few. I think its almost-but-not-quite 400, the lowest ratio of the series. Nothing wrong with more variety and you don't get into weird situations were a handful of the pokemon are saved for the post game despite being in the dex (Emolga, Scther, Lucario). Incidentally, BW2 did the same thing to even more baffling degrees

and you don't get into weird situations were a handful of the pokemon are saved for the post game despite being in the dex (Emolga, Scther, Lucario). Incidentally, BW2 did the same thing to even more baffling degrees
I hate when Gamefreak does this for non-legendary Pokemon. I could assume its for VGC purposes, but most of these Pokemon locked away by the post-game are useless there. Maybe you don't want people abusing Excadrill + Tyranitar pre-game. Sure. But Wigglytuff, Tropius, and Lickilicky? Why keep them locked behind that wall?

Sun and Moon also bothers me with this. It makes no sense why Emolga couldn't have been put in a previous shaking tree area. Scyther could've been a version exclusive counterpart to Pinsir (of course, Scyther has an evolution unlike in Gen 1, but it brings that sense of nostalgia IMO). And Riolu just makes no sense keeping behind that wall. The part that'd break the last two in-game are the Megas, and well, it makes sense for those not to be pre-game since its no longer the main gimmick, and no issue there.

So why do they do this? I don't know really.

I hate when Gamefreak does this for non-legendary Pokemon. I could assume its for VGC purposes, but most of these Pokemon locked away by the post-game are useless there. Maybe you don't want people abusing Excadrill + Tyranitar pre-game. Sure. But Wigglytuff, Tropius, and Lickilicky? Why keep them locked behind that wall?

Sun and Moon also bothers me with this. It makes no sense why Emolga couldn't have been put in a previous shaking tree area. Scyther could've been a version exclusive counterpart to Pinsir (of course, Scyther has an evolution unlike in Gen 1, but it brings that sense of nostalgia IMO). And Riolu just makes no sense keeping behind that wall. The part that'd break the last two in-game are the Megas, and well, it makes sense for those not to be pre-game since its no longer the main gimmick, and no issue there.

So why do they do this? I don't know really.
Honestly I think they just like regional dexes actually accounting for all (normal) pokemon in the region, even if some are only available in the post game. BW2 has about the same number of pokemon available as BW1, it just accounts for posts-game pokemon that aren't gifts or legends.

Only thing I can think of, at least.

Hey what is gamefreak's obsession with Fearow, while we're on this subject? Are you in a post game area? Get ready for fearows! FRLG post game? Fearows. DPt post game? Fearows. Kanto in HGSS? Fearow. BW1 post game? Fearows. BW2 made them a swarm, but still. XY didnt have them in the post game because a post game did not exist but by god they're there in the victory road. SM? fearows from the trees

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
While it is stupid that there's so few non-national dex pokemon available in the post game, getting angry over some bizzare point like 10 years from now when the serves go down not letting someone going down memory lane with Sun & Moon to have access to everything is just...why?
As far as the western releases of B2/W2 go, the games barely made it past the two year mark (if even that) before WiFi got cut, which was one of my points about the servers: there's really no telling when they'll go out; it could be two years from now or ten.

But anyway, yeah I see your points. I don't think the drop-off was quite as bad for Gen V as it'll end up being for Sun/Moon though; yeah losing WiFi and the Dream World hurts, but comparatively the percentage of missing Pokemon isn't quite as high even with no Dream World (which is helped that there are a decent number of post-Nat Dex Pokemon catchable in-game). And even if it requires a lot of hardware, transferring Pokemon from IV to V is still possible today (especially so for those who were playing in this era and upgraded to 3DSs), so if someone picked up Gen V and wanted to pick up older titles and transfer any missing Pokemon, it's still very much doable. Once the 3DS servers are gone, we'll have 6 generations of compatibility (minus GSC atm) completely flushed down the drain.

I guess, to reword my rant, my annoyances are A: The variety of Pokemon in Sun/Moon is lacking, especially post-game, and B: Game Freak needs to do a better job with future-proofing their games & features. As you pointed out, most of the games have this issue, but it's especially noticeable with Sun/Moon

Hey what is gamefreak's obsession with Fearow,while we're on this subject? Are you in a post game area? Get ready for fearows! FRLG post game? Fearows. DPt post game? Fearows. Kanto in HGSS? Fearow. BW1 post game? Fearows. BW2 made them a swarm, but still. XY didnt have them in the post game because a post game did not exist but by god they're there in the victory road. SM? fearows from the trees
It's even more noticeable with the random ninja birds dropping out of the sky and the trees. Shaking grass you can avoid to some extent but the trees are really obnoxious, especially cause their respawn rate is way higher than the trees in XY.

As far as the western releases of B2/W2 go, the games barely made it past the two year mark (if even that) before WiFi got cut, which was one of my points about the servers: there's really no telling when they'll go out; it could be two years from now or ten.
tbh this is one of my biggest problems with gen 5. like i really like the region, and i like the pokemon, and i like playing them a lot. except - every single fucking time i start the game i have to get the c-gear and hear about the dream world and if im playing bw2 go through join avenue or whatever the fuck and it's honestly infuriating because it basically reads like the games were meant to be multiplayer (more than the rest of pokemon i mean) and I never once connected to the internet with gen 5, and nowadays i can't, but i also can't play the game without having to hear about how wonderful internet connectivity is.

like, the games that predate bw were hgss, and hgss didnt do that shit, and it gave you what is imo the best touch screen interface we ever had in pokemon, and then in gen 5 that all went out the window and it makes me so mad. You can have a game that focuses strongly on multiplayer. It's impossible to get all the pokemon in gen 1 without trading or glitches, that's been there since the beginning, so pokemon has always been a series that focuses strongly on multiplayer. But it's when you give a game a single player option, and then during that single player option never shut the fuck up about how amazing the (dead) multiplayer is, that I get annoyed. If I could pay for a copy of white and white 2 that just removed all that from the game I would in a heartbeat

Latest annoying thing: Z-crystals don't "get" Hidden Power and Revelation Dance. Like, surely they could have figured out a way to make them "count" as the type of move they actually are instead of just using their technical Normal typing (allowing Oricorio to learn actual STAB moves from its non-flying types would also be acceptable).

Let me give my geisha bird ghost the ghost crystal, damn you.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I agree, I meant more like that the Mega mechanic would be in the game, but some stones might be unavailable, as there would be two successive generation of them getting the sideline. If Gen 8 has a shiny new gimmick (which I hope it doesn't), then it's unlikely we will get any new megas since Gen 7 didn't have them either.

Z-Crystals seem even more gimmicky than Mega Stones, so it's probably easier for them to be sidelined, or even possibly removed from Gen 8 all together (but this is a stretch) as they haven't been as well received as Mega Pokemon. I'd argue that if either Mega Stones or Z-Crystals ended up getting the sideline, Z-Crystals would go first.
For Mega Stones I think it's going to be as worst as it gets: only Mega Stones for Pokemon in the regional dex will have their Mega Stones available (and maybe a few special cases). All others will be then given out for events or prizes for competition entry (or Global Missions/whatever may replace them in the future). Though even with this method that might mean for future generations there will be missing Mega Stones which will have an effect on the meta.

As for Z-Crystals, this would only be a problem for the Pokemon specific ones. I would be very easy to implement the elemental Z-Crystals some place. Though whether they'll shove it for post game like they did with Mega Stones is the main question. Now for Mega Stones it's actually okay for them to move it post game. I'd like to see them main game but honestly they'd get the most use post game. However since the elemental Z-Crystals can be used by all Pokemon I think it would be a shame to shove them post game a they can be used main game to give your Pokemon that extra kick it may need during a battle (course the game designers would have to plan for it and if they don't want to they may just shove it to post game for that reason). And then there's the issue of them introducing a Gen VIII gimmick (which I hope they kind of don't and instead focus expanding on Mega, Z-Crystals, and other mechanics they have. At most maybe have a way to combine Mega and Z-Crystals).

To be fair, codes for the Mega Stones have not been released yet. We don't know if the Mawilite and Beedrilite codes are going to be permanent. All we had is the tournament reward.
But then we have the Mewtwonites which are internet codes. They have no end date, but once they decide to end it there's no getting those Mega Stones again. Now, if GF keeps the event going until the release of Gen VIII, there's no problem because then the meta would move on and, as R_N said, anyone playing the old games would be for the story and experience (at most to get a Pokemon to transfer) so not care what Pokemon or related item they can't get.

Pokemon Availability:
Speaking of which, I do agree GF needs to put some more focus on Pokemon variety and distribution. We have over 800 Pokemon now and they'll make more Pokemon each generation (maybe lesser than previous generations, which is good as that means they can focus on making those Pokemon good using previous gen Pokemon to fill in missing gaps). Each game should have about half the Pokedex available and each route should feel like they're introducing more Pokemon instead of keeping a same handful of Pokemon throughout all routes with some new additions. For Sun & Moon each island could have easily had 100 unqiue Pokemon, sharing only a few between islands. Also the new Pokemon should be on the forefront, this is THEIR generation. You make older generation favorites the rare finds, not the new ones.

However I don't want them to cram every single Pokemon in; no, that would be insane. I'm alright that you need to transfer up, makes it feel like having the previous games wasn't a waste. Sure you can use GTS, but that can be unreliable and you don't know exactly what you're getting. And to do whatever you want in the game the regional Pokemon suffice, you just got to work with the Pokemon your provided (and you can look up a guide if you're having problems).

I'd imagine a lot of the Pokemon that can't be obtained in Sun/Moon will be available in other games this generation, like how FR/LG/Colosseum/XD did with the Pokemon that weren't natively available in R/S.
Well to an extent. The next remakes would be Diamond & Pearl and I have two opinions on that: if we stick to the 3DS than I don't think we'll get it as ORAS was the 3DS remake (unless they feel the advancement between Gen VII and VI was significant enough, which to be fair was). Though if we do move the games to the Switch as being rumored then I'm sure we'll get them, though would it be before or after the 3rd version (if we get one, that is *coughZcough*)?

However, even then we might not get all Pokemon available in one generation, though we don't need to unlike Gen III. Gen III needed to provide a way to get all existing Pokemon at that time due to one major factor: generation lockout. GB Advance games were incompatible with GB games, there was no way to transfer up, at least game between game. This also gave them a convenient excuse to completely restructure the IV and EV system to what they are today, further making them incompatible. The Colosseum games and remakes were the solution to there being no transferring up (the remakes then becoming a tradition, fans of the Colosseum games shouldn't hold their breath for another one any time soon).

tbh this is one of my biggest problems with gen 5. like i really like the region, and i like the pokemon, and i like playing them a lot. except - every single fucking time i start the game i have to get the c-gear and hear about the dream world and if im playing bw2 go through join avenue or whatever the fuck and it's honestly infuriating because it basically reads like the games were meant to be multiplayer (more than the rest of pokemon i mean) and I never once connected to the internet with gen 5, and nowadays i can't, but i also can't play the game without having to hear about how wonderful internet connectivity is.

like, the games that predate bw were hgss, and hgss didnt do that shit, and it gave you what is imo the best touch screen interface we ever had in pokemon, and then in gen 5 that all went out the window and it makes me so mad. You can have a game that focuses strongly on multiplayer. It's impossible to get all the pokemon in gen 1 without trading or glitches, that's been there since the beginning, so pokemon has always been a series that focuses strongly on multiplayer. But it's when you give a game a single player option, and then during that single player option never shut the fuck up about how amazing the (dead) multiplayer is, that I get annoyed. If I could pay for a copy of white and white 2 that just removed all that from the game I would in a heartbeat
This can just be swept under the umbrella of "unwanted forced tutorials". It's okay these tutorials exist, the problem is they're forced upon you and you can't skip through them. I have this same problem with ORAS's Super Contests and SM's Battle Royal, they force you into a tutorial for a side feature which I may have no interest in or would rather do later when I'm more prepared.

Latest annoying thing: Z-crystals don't "get" Hidden Power and Revelation Dance. Like, surely they could have figured out a way to make them "count" as the type of move they actually are instead of just using their technical Normal typing (allowing Oricorio to learn actual STAB moves from its non-flying types would also be acceptable).

Let me give my geisha bird ghost the ghost crystal, damn you.
It also annoys me that they clearly intended Arceus to be able to use Z-crystals instead of plates, and then totally gimped it by making Judgment not work with them.
For Hidden Power I sort of get why: though you just need a damaging move of a type to use the Z-Crystal of that type, that still means there are certain Z-Moves every Pokemon can't do. If Z-Crystals took Hidden Power's type into account, that means every Pokemon (that can learn Hidden Power) can use every elemental Z-Crystal. Seems a bit broken.

However for Revelation Dance and Judgement it should.

Sadly they kind of backed themselves up in a corner when they decided to let you change Oricorio's forms. Since you can change forms that means they all share a movepool and can't learn a move of move of their primary typing. Otherwise we'd get a Fire-type who has Water coverage, Psychic with Bug coverage... um, well Psychic and Ghost usually learn moves of each other... actually Oricorio is part Flying so why would it be worried about Bug coverage. You know what, I take it back. WHY doesn't learn the TMs of its primary type? Thinking about it there's no real reason (other than making Revelation Dance seem inconsequential but maybe you should just improve it instead of limiting Oricorio) it can't learn Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Thunderbolt, Thunder, Psychic, Psyshock, and Shadow Ball (and status moves like Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)