International Challenge April 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Pokémon Global Link announced the new Online Competition: The International Challenge April 2017!

This means that the competition will follow the VGC'17 rules:

*Double Battles
*Alola Dex Pokémon Only
*Pokémon need to be catched or hatched in Alola
*Mega Stones Banned
*Cosmog, Cosmoem, Lunala, Solgaleo, Necrozma, Magearna and Zygarde are banned!

==============================
The competition starts April 28th and ends April 30th.

You can play 15 battles a day, so 45 total!

Entry Gift: Blazikenite, Sceptilite and Swampertite

===========================

The PGL posted an analysis from the International Challenge February 2017:

A Monumental International Challenge

The 2017 International Challenge February gave Trainers their first opportunity to compete using the official World Championships rules in a Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon Online Competition. The matches in the International Challenge February weren’t just great practice for the Pokémon World Championships—special prizes were also available. The highest placing Trainers earned a sizable chunk of Championships Points, taking them a long step closer to qualifying for the Pokémon World Championships. And those who participated in three or more battles were eligible to receive the Mawilite and Beedrillite Mega Stones.

The 2017 International Challenge February was a particularly important tournament for competitors in the Pokémon Video Game Championships because International Challenges are the only Online Competitions that provide Trainers with the opportunity to earn significant numbers of Championship Points without having to travel to an in-person tournament. Of the 116,637 players who competed from all over the world, only the top 1,024 received Championship Points from this event. Online Competitions no longer share a Best Finish Limit with Premier Challenges, or any other type of event, so all Championship Points earned by Trainers in this tournament will be reflected in their totals at the end of the season. With a top prize of 50 Championship Points, succeeding in Online Competitions is now an even more important step toward the Pokémon World Championships than ever before.

Challenges in the International Challenge

Being able to adjust from the best-of-three matches of live Video Game Championships events to the International Challenge’s single game matches was one of the biggest keys to success. Most Trainers test their teams by battling on the World Championships ladder, but competing in a tournament with single game matches is a different experience. In an International Challenge, Trainers can no longer take solace in assuming they’d win a best-of-three set against that unexpected Z-Crystal, Choice Scarf, or Focus Sash that beat them in practice. They must instead be ready to defeat anything their opponents can throw at them—on their first try—if they hope to finish near the top of the standings.

Preparing for an Online Competition doesn’t necessarily mean cramming your own team full of unexpected moves and items. We suggest adapting your play style more than your team. Each loss puts a sizable dent in your rating, so it’s best to play conservatively. Consider facing off against Garchomp early in a match with Tapu Koko and Nihilego on your side of the field. You’re in great shape if Garchomp isn’t holding a Choice Scarf, but you’re in big trouble if it moves first and successfully uses Earthquake. Even though only 22.1% of the Garchomp in this competition held a Choice Scarf, it’s still the better choice to play defensively until you’ve ruled out the possibility of Garchomp holding a Choice Scarf. When the cost of guessing wrong is a loss, it’s best not to guess unless you must.

One of the most important parts of preparing for Pokémon tournaments is anticipating your opponents’ strategies. If you anticipate them playing a little too safely, you can use that to your advantage, just as you would any other strategy. Swords Dance, Dragon Dance, and other moves that increase a Pokémon’s stats can be especially effective against a passive opponent, as can protection moves like Aurora Veil or Substitute. If Tapu Koko and Nihilego both used Protect to learn more about Garchomp in our previous example, Garchomp’s Trainer could potentially take advantage by having Garchomp use Swords Dance or Substitute instead of Earthquake. Many stat-increasing moves are popular in best-of-three matches as well, but they can be particularly devastating in a single game because opponents have so little time to adapt to them.

Perhaps the trickiest element of best-of-one play this season is anticipating which of the foe’s Pokémon can use Z-Moves. It’s normally much less clear which Pokémon are holding Z-Crystals during Team Preview than which ones had Mega Stones in past seasons, particularly because many Pokémon are often given different Z-Crystals by different Trainers. It’s vital to make thoughtful decisions against Pokémon that could be holding Z-Crystals to avoid losing key Pokémon early in a match. Be particularly careful against Pokémon such as Arcanine, Tapu Koko, Garchomp, and Tapu Lele that are frequently given held items that require you to come up with wildly different responses until you’ve found out what they’re holding.

Surprises Galore

Another factor that made it difficult to prepare for this tournament was its unprecedented attendance—116,637 players made the rankings in the Masters Division as they battled for Championship Points and Mega Stones. With so many competitors, this tournament was undoubtedly an exciting introduction to the Video Game Championships for many Trainers. These new competitors brought fresh perspectives on Pokémon battles, leading to many tactics we don’t normally see. A quick look at the Pokémon Rankings shows that players preparing for this tournament as though it was a Regional Championships may have been caught a little off-guard.

While the most frequently selected Pokémon are similar to those from Championships Battle Rating Battles, there are many key differences. Overall, it seems that the more a Pokémon’s role is based on being part of a strategy instead of on its power, the more its usage dwindled by comparison.

Several top performers from Regional Championships saw big dips in their popularity in this competition, such as Kartana, Snorlax, and Porygon2. Meanwhile, several Pokémon that are perhaps popular mostly for reasons other than their effectiveness in Championships Battles rose in the rankings, including Marowak, Tapu Bulu, Mimikyu, and Ninetales. More strangely yet, Primarina made it into the top 30 while live tournament darlings Mandibuzz, Hariyama, and Gastrodon did not.

Looking deeper unearths further oddities. The list of Mimikyu’s ten most common teammates doesn’t include Snorlax, the Pokémon it’s most often paired with on successful VGC teams (Hariyama, Magnezone, and Araquanid were also notably absent). Lilligant made the top 30, but it did so without Pom-Pom Style Oricorio, which is normally the Pokémon second-most likely to be paired with it on a tournament team, after Torkoal. Lilligant’s common partners included Baile Style Oricorio instead.

Many moves we’d expect to see primarily from experienced players were also used less frequently in this tournament than in other events. Fewer Marowak were taught Perish Song, fewer Porygon2 were taught Return, and fewer Ninetales were taught Icy Wind. Popular Pokémon such as Garchomp and Tapu Koko, that are ordinarily given one of a predictable set of items, were all over the place in this event, with several less conventional choices each gaining a little popularity.

The Top Tables

Despite the relative craziness in the tournament at large, the top teams in the competition looked much like the top teams from a Regional Championships. The reliable Arcanine and its Intimidate Ability appeared on seven of these eight teams, while Porygon2 and Kartana were the next most common with five appearances each. Tapu Lele, Tapu Koko, Garchomp, and the surprising Gigalith were the only others to appear on more than two of these top teams.

Kartana stands out as a Pokémon that was trained differently at the upper echelons of the tournament than in the field as a whole. Most Kartana that succeeded in live competitions before the International Challenge February were holding Focus Sash (used by 32.2% of players in this competition) or Assault Vest (14%) to make up for Kartana’s low Special Defense and HP stats. The top Trainers in this competition largely went a much more aggressive route. Three of the five Kartana on top teams were holding Scope Lens (0.6%), and one of the others was holding Psychic Seed, an item so surprising it didn’t even make the list as one of Kartana’s ten most common items.

A common tactic among many of these Trainers was the move Substitute. We mentioned Substitute earlier as a great way Trainers can take advantage of the more timid play Online Competitions sometimes require, and it was a notable trend among the top Trainers at this event. More than half of these top competitors included Substitute on their teams. Many of the aforementioned Kartana opted to go with Substitute, likely surprising foes who were anticipating move sets built around Focus Sash or Assault Vest.

The most surprising innovation from the top teams was probably a Mudsdale that knew Mud Slap. A Xurkitree that knew Tail Glow and held a Wiki Berry also stood out, while Calm Mind Tapu Lele and Bulldoze Arcanine seemed almost pedestrian by comparison. Another Xurkitree held an Air Balloon, making Trainers wonder if they should reevaluate the strength of this unheralded item. The most unexpected Pokémon in the top-8 were undoubtedly a pair of Psychic- and Water-type Pokémon originally discovered in the Kanto Region. Both Slowbro and Starmie managed to make the top-8—perhaps their Trainers were a little early for the Kanto x Alola Regional Rumble?

Keep checking back to the Pokémon Global Link for more information about upcoming Online Competitions and global missions. And remember to check out Pokemon.com/Strategy for more Pokémon TCG and video game articles and tournament analysis

Last edited:
To get the discussion started here is a team that i builded for this tourney:

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Discharge
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect

Raichu-Alola @ Aloraichium Z
Ability: Surge Surfer
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Fake Out
- Protect

Incineroar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Darkest Lariat
- Fake Out
- U-turn

Kartana @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Detect

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Discharge
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Trick Room

Araquanid @ Waterium Z
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Lunge
- Poison Jab

This team is a Semi-Trick Room team, but Tapu Koko, Alolan Raichu and Kartana are used outside of Trick Room.

Your EVs on 2 of those sets are inefficient. Porygon2 should have 252 HP EVs invested before putting anything into its Defenses to maximize overall bulk. 252 HP / 68 Def / 60 SpDef gives you slightly more bulk but allows you to invest 128 EVs in SpAtk instead of 4. For Araquanid, 248 HP and 8 SpDef actually wastes 8 EVs at Lv. 50. Simply go with 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpDef to avoid this.

Edit: Also, you don't need 4 attacks on Araquanid. You're only going to be using Liquidation 90% of the time, so definitely replace one of the coverage moves with Protect. Wide Guard is also a good move to protect your ally from things like Earthquake and Rock Slide. I'd keep Lunge as the only coverage move at most as it can lower the opponent's Attack. However, Toxic could also be used to deal with bulky Pokemon like Porygon2 that could stall you out.

I'll definitely be participating in this with a team of Drifblim/Tapu Lele/Garchomp/Gigalith/Kartana/Arcanine. I might post the specific sets later on.

Last edited:
My team will be:

Golisopod @ Assault Vest
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- First Impression
- Sucker Punch

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 100 SpD / 152 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Razor Leaf

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Discharge
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-Turn

Tapu Fini @ Tapuium Z
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 16 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Dazzling Gleam
- Scald

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Veil
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- Poison Jab

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 112 SpD / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Protect

All of my team covers my weaknesses and after adding Golisopod I am no longer beaten by Trick Room users and Gengar. My Tapu Koko is also great at OHKOing most pokemon my others are weak too. My Kartana's speed EV's are just so I can outspeed a Garchomp (Not really sure if there is really any flaws here feel free to criticize)

My team will be:

Golisopod @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- First Impression
- Sucker Punch

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Razor Leaf

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Discharge
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-Turn

Tapu Fini @ Tapuium Z
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Dazzling Gleam
- Scald

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- Poison Jab

Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Protect

All of my team covers my weaknesses and after adding Golisopod I am no longer beaten by Trick Room users and Gengar. My Tapu Koko is also great at OHKOing most pokemon my others are weak too. My Kartana's speed EV's are just so I can outspeed a Garchomp (Not really sure if there is really any flaws here feel free to criticize)
The Tapu Fini set isn't very good, considering Dazzling Gleam isn't going to do much without special defence, Scald doesn't burn due to Misty Terrain, and the only real support option is Taunt. If you want to run a supportive set, I would consider running Swagger as one of your moves (give +2 attack to teammates in Misty Terrain with no confusion side effect). Heal Pulse and Helping Hand work as more niche options. Moonblast would likely work better than Dazzling Gleam, as it still does a solid amount of damage without investment. I don't really have experience with Tapunium-Z, but you may want to drop it to add Leftovers or a healing berry.

I have a few other ideas up to personal preference, but Bonemerang might be a better move choice on Marowak for it's higher power on a single target, ability to break sashes and substitute, and inability to damage your partner. However, it does have a slightly lower accuracy. In addition, Tapu Koko might make better use of Volt Switch than U-Turn, while it it redundant coverage, it has significantly more raw power due to the SpA investment and Choice Specs. That being said, it does not work alongside Lightningrod.

My team will be:

Golisopod @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- First Impression
- Sucker Punch

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Razor Leaf

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Discharge
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-Turn

Tapu Fini @ Tapuium Z
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Dazzling Gleam
- Scald

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- Poison Jab

Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Protect

I think you mean Rough Skin on Garchomp and probably you can change Dragon Claw to Fire Fang to deal with opposing Kartana.

I think you mean Rough Skin on Garchomp and probably you can change Dragon Claw to Fire Fang to deal with opposing Kartana.
Well I kept Sand Veil because of all the gigalith around with sand stream and I need to keep dragon claw, I may replace rock slide with flamethrower though (It's better to OHKO Kartana and hits 100% of the time) I still struggle with trick room teams a little because my team's mostly fast pokemon. I found that I strangely struggle with Nihilego and Pheromosa though, any advice for me there?

The Tapu Fini set isn't very good, considering Dazzling Gleam isn't going to do much without special defence, Scald doesn't burn due to Misty Terrain, and the only real support option is Taunt. If you want to run a supportive set, I would consider running Swagger as one of your moves (give +2 attack to teammates in Misty Terrain with no confusion side effect). Heal Pulse and Helping Hand work as more niche options. Moonblast would likely work better than Dazzling Gleam, as it still does a solid amount of damage without investment. I don't really have experience with Tapunium-Z, but you may want to drop it to add Leftovers or a healing berry.

I have a few other ideas up to personal preference, but Bonemerang might be a better move choice on Marowak for it's higher power on a single target, ability to break sashes and substitute, and inability to damage your partner. However, it does have a slightly lower accuracy. In addition, Tapu Koko might make better use of Volt Switch than U-Turn, while it it redundant coverage, it has significantly more raw power due to the SpA investment and Choice Specs. That being said, it does not work alongside Lightningrod.
As for Fini, I like your idea of swagger as it will cover my flaw of little/no stat boosting moves on my team, however I prefer using dazzling gleam as it has saved me matches when my enemy had a pokemon like pheromosa, speaking of which, for some reason all the pheromosa's I fought couldn't OHKO my Tapu Koko or Fini with poison jab. Also I prefer my Tapuium Z as it can't be knocked off and puts most of Fini's enemies into OHKO range. I want scald because most of the time when I have Fini my opponent switches to one of their Tapu's and I can get a burn off.

As for Marowak I may switch earthquake to Bonemerang seeing as it is a better move in a format where there will be substitute everywhere.

And for Tapu Koko, I use U-turn so I can hit grass types as well as bypass Lightningrod. It may seem like a weird choice and I hardly ever get a chance to use it but when I do it's a nice thing to have.

I've also found that on Golisopod I never really have a use for Leech Life. Any idea on a move that can be better (I seem to have trouble with pokemon that resist bug types, like fairies)

As for Fini, I like your idea of swagger as it will cover my flaw of little/no stat boosting moves on my team, however I prefer using dazzling gleam as it has saved me matches when my enemy had a pokemon like pheromosa, speaking of which, for some reason all the pheromosa's I fought couldn't OHKO my Tapu Koko or Fini with poison jab. Also I prefer my Tapuium Z as it can't be knocked off and puts most of Fini's enemies into OHKO range. I want scald because most of the time when I have Fini my opponent switches to one of their Tapu's and I can get a burn off.

As for Marowak I may switch earthquake to Bonemerang seeing as it is a better move in a format where there will be substitute everywhere.

And for Tapu Koko, I use U-turn so I can hit grass types as well as bypass Lightningrod. It may seem like a weird choice and I hardly ever get a chance to use it but when I do it's a nice thing to have.

I've also found that on Golisopod I never really have a use for Leech Life. Any idea on a move that can be better (I seem to have trouble with pokemon that resist bug types, like fairies)
Poison Jab for all the Tapu's running around? Or Aqua Jet to have priority and KO Pokémon that lived because of sash.

Ribombee @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shield Dust
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Baton Pass
- Quiver Dance
- Dazzling Gleam
- Pollen Puff

Oricorio-Pom-Pom @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Dancer
Modest Nature
- Revelation Dance
- Protect
- Hurricane
- Tailwind

Vikavolt @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Bug Buzz
- Flash Cannon

Garchomp @ Groundium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Protect

Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Bonemerang
- Protect

comments, questions, concerns...

Ribombee @ Focus Sash
Modest Nature
- Baton Pass
- Quiver Dance
- Dazzling Gleam
- Pollen Puff

Modest Nature
- Revelation Dance
- Protect
- Hurricane
- Tailwind

Vikavolt @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Bug Buzz
- Flash Cannon

Garchomp @ Groundium Z
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Protect

Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Bonemerang
- Protect

I dont know if outrage is really good at Garchomp with all that fairys running around, you can probably replace that with Rock Slide or Dragon Claw.

Ribombee @ Focus Sash
Modest Nature
- Baton Pass
- Quiver Dance
- Dazzling Gleam
- Pollen Puff

Modest Nature
- Revelation Dance
- Protect
- Hurricane
- Tailwind

Vikavolt @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Bug Buzz
- Flash Cannon

Garchomp @ Groundium Z
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Protect

Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Bonemerang
- Protect

Outrage is usually mediocre in doubles, since you're locked in and can't choose your target. I'd only really recommend it for a nuke with Dragonium Z. You also want to run protect.

On my side, I'm just going to wing this competition for the mega stones with Salazzle + Braviary or Togedemaru + Cloyster, If I can't get a Salazzle before then.

My team will be:

Golisopod @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- First Impression
- Sucker Punch

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Razor Leaf

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Discharge
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-Turn

Tapu Fini @ Tapuium Z
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Dazzling Gleam
- Scald

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- Poison Jab

Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Protect

Anyone know a good move for killing Nihilego with this team? I think it OHKO's my Marowak with Power Gem

Anyone know a good move for killing Nihilego with this team? I think it OHKO's my Marowak with Power Gem
Why are you using Garchomp with Sand Veil without Gigalith? Sand Veil may be tempting due to all the Gigalith running around, but Rough Skin is much more consistent, such as breaking sashes from the likes of Kartana, especially on a team that lacks Gigalith.

You could try Brine. Brine works well alongside Nature's Madness, since it halves the target's HP, and then Brine will double. I remember I lost to an opponent during the Kanto X Alola competition, who ran Brine, Nature's Madness, Moonblast holding Tapunium Z.

Why are you using Garchomp with Sand Veil without Gigalith? Sand Veil may be tempting due to all the Gigalith running around, but Rough Skin is much more consistent, such as breaking sashes from the likes of Kartana, especially on a team that lacks Gigalith.
Mostly because I didn't have a gible with it's HA and I was too lazy to re-breed one ^_^. As for brine, I actually really like that idea! It becomes a hydro pump with 20 more base power and 100% accuracy!! (Nature's madness can't be taunted right?)

Ribombee @ Focus Sash
Modest Nature
- Baton Pass
- Quiver Dance
- Dazzling Gleam
- Pollen Puff

Modest Nature
- Revelation Dance
- Protect
- Hurricane
- Tailwind

Vikavolt @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Bug Buzz
- Flash Cannon

Garchomp @ Groundium Z
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Protect

Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Bonemerang
- Protect

I'd say run Dragon Claw over Outrage, after all Tapu's will be everywhere and that will block your attack and force you into confusion...

Hi community,

I'm really excited for this upcoming challenge. I've drew a lot of resources from Reddit, Amino, and from this site to come up with an Emolga-centric VGC 2017 team, still working on how to play it and how to improve it or if I should switch around Pokemon. Would love your input, note I know Emolga is below failing Pokemon and I want to keep it no matter what.

Emolga @ Electrium Z
Ability: Motor Drive
Level: 50
EVs: 88 HP / 164 DEF / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Volt Switch
- Nuzzle
- Encore

Tapu Lele @ Life Orb
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 236 HP / 212 Def / 36 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Protect
- Taunt

Tapu Koko @ Fairium Z
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Discharge
- Protect

Milotic @ Maranga Berry
Ability: Competitive
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 244 HP / 196 Def / 68 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Protect
- Recover

Drifblim @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 132 Def / 204 SpA / 4 SpD / 164 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Tailwind
- Destiny Bond

Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Curse
- Protect

I'm not sure if I need to alter Emolga's EVs since I'm new to competitive. If I should bring in a trick room setter or user since my team is seems to fail miserably against hard trick room teams. Like switching Muk for Snorlax. As well as going more physical with a Gyrados instead of Milotic.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Hi community,

I'm really excited for this upcoming challenge. I've drew a lot of resources from Reddit, Amino, and from this site to come up with an Emolga-centric VGC 2017 team, still working on how to play it and how to improve it or if I should switch around Pokemon. Would love your input, note I know Emolga is below failing Pokemon and I want to keep it no matter what.

Emolga @ Electrium Z
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 88 HP / 164 DEF / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Volt Switch
- Nuzzle
- Encore

Tapu Lele @ Life Orb
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 236 HP / 212 Def / 36 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Protect
- Taunt

Tapu Koko @ Fairium Z
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Discharge
- Protect

Milotic @ Maranga Berry
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 244 HP / 196 Def / 68 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Protect
- Recover

Drifblim @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 132 Def / 204 SpA / 4 SpD / 164 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Tailwind
- Destiny Bond

Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Curse
- Protect

I'm not sure if I need to alter Emolga's EVs since I'm new to competitive. If I should bring in a trick room setter or user since my team is seems to fail miserably against hard trick room teams. Like switching Muk for Snorlax. As well as going more physical with a Gyrados instead of Milotic.

Thanks so much!

I think you better change Fairium Z to Electrium Z on Tapu Koko, because that will do much more damage thanks to Electric Terrain. And welcome on Smogon!

Ya but usually by the time my Garchomp (I keep it in the back) gets out they already have a counter waiting and Nihilego has gotten a beast boost... Maybe I should try leading with it, it does have a focus sash after all...
If nihilego is sashed your Garchomp is gonna lose:
252 SpA Nihilego Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 156-184 (85.2 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Mostly because I didn't have a gible with it's HA and I was too lazy to re-breed one ^_^. As for brine, I actually really like that idea! It becomes a hydro pump with 20 more base power and 100% accuracy!! (Nature's madness can't be taunted right?)
I can breed a Rough Skin Gible for you.

I think you better change Fairium Z to Electrium Z on Tapu Koko, because that will do much more damage thanks to Electric Terrain. And welcome on Smogon!
Give Koko the Z crystal for Electric and Focus Sash for Emolga? Another Emolga player said he was testing Electric Seed so he can put more investment in SpD.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)