Rules Forum Rules and Simple Questions/Answers

Hello guys,

Today I played some WiFi games in Battle Spot Singles and I found an issue that might be a bug, but first I would just like to confirm with you. In the Cloyster BSS analysis says that when played with "Naive" or "Jolly" nature at full Spe IV and +2 (after a Shell Smash) you should outspeed Tapu Koko even when he has Choice Scarf. Well, yesterday I was playing and this just didn't happen. Two times. I can assure I didn't get my speed reduced by any means, and neither the Tapu Koko got any speed boost or similar (I reviewed the game several times). Only explanation I can find for this is, either the analysis is wrong (which I doubt, cuz I made some numbers using the damage calculator and seemed correct) or the IV extreme training I did on the Pokémon's speed (before getting the silver cap its speed IV was very low) is bugged and it's results doesn't reflect on WiFi battles.

Do you know if there are any known bugs related to this issue, or maybe I'm getting something wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hello guys,

Today I played some WiFi games in Battle Spot Singles and I found an issue that might be a bug, but first I would just like to confirm with you. In the Cloyster BSS analysis says that when played with "Naive" or "Jolly" nature at full Spe IV and +2 (after a Shell Smash) you should outspeed Tapu Koko even when he has Choice Scarf. Well, yesterday I was playing and this just didn't happen. Two times. I can assure I didn't get my speed reduced by any means, and neither the Tapu Koko got any speed boost or similar (I reviewed the game several times). Only explanation I can find for this is, either the analysis is wrong (which I doubt, cuz I made some numbers using the damage calculator and seemed correct) or the IV extreme training I did on the Pokémon's speed (before getting the silver cap its speed IV was very low) is bugged and it's results doesn't reflect on WiFi battles.

Do you know if there are any known bugs related to this issue, or maybe I'm getting something wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help!
+2 (Shell Smash) 252+ Spe Cloyster = 268 Speed
+1 (Choice Scarf) 252+ Spe Tapu Koko = 300 Speed

Tapu Koko is faster with a scarf

I was going through the viability rankings and didn't see mega Pinsir there. Is it because it's just a poor man's mence or does it have a niche? Notably sword dance and quick attack giving it a slight advantage?

I was going through the viability rankings and didn't see mega Pinsir there. Is it because it's just a poor man's mence or does it have a niche? Notably sword dance and quick attack giving it a slight advantage?
This probably because the ranking are spreading the tiering from S to B, without going any further. Otherwise i think that Pinsir would be there, somewhere between C+ and C- imo

Is there a place where I can see checks/counters of any mon in BSS ?
You mean like that one checks & counters thread the OU forum used to have? I'm afraid we don't have that here. You should be looking at the strategy-dex and the PGL's statistics page for that kind of information.

Hi! Does someone know what kind of defensive AND speed benchmarks should Char Y have in the BSD meta?
Especially because Timid Lele&Jolly Lando-T are really common, so I dunno if I need a +Speed nature or what :/

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Hi! Does someone know what kind of defensive AND speed benchmarks should Char Y have in the BSD meta?
Especially because Timid Lele&Jolly Lando-T are really common, so I dunno if I need a +Speed nature or what :/
If you want a fast Charizard I would probably just use Max speed. Some defensive benchmarks you could ev for on a bulky zard could be Kangaskhan Double Edge, LO Tapu Koko Tbolt outside of electric terrain, Megagross Zen Headbutt in Psychic Terrain, and Rock Slide from Landorus-T (Garchomp is also an option because it's so common). For slower speed benchmarks you could do Tapu Bulu or Heatran.

Definitely a + Speed nature. You don't want to lose crucial speed ties. Char Y is not meant to be a defensive pokemon.

Can anyone suggest me a Araquanid set, please? I'm planning on hatching a Beast Ball Shiny and I want to know what I'm getting into. Thanks in advance ! :]

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Can anyone suggest me a Araquanid set, please? I'm planning on hatching a Beast Ball Shiny and I want to know what I'm getting into. Thanks in advance ! :]
Adamant is easily the most common and arguably best nature so I'd go with that. It only gets 4 egg moves so you might as well just do them all, however Stockpile is the only one with competitive value so if you can't be bothered then just do that. As for the set, something like this would be fine:

Araquanid @ Waterium Z / Assault Vest / Choice Band
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Mirror Coat / Sleep Talk
- Poison Jab / Lunge

e: banded mirror coat is bad mb

Last edited:
Adamant is easily the most common and arguably best nature so I'd go with that. It only gets 4 egg moves so you might as well just do them all, however Stockpile is the only one with competitive value so if you can't be bothered then just do that. As for the set, something like this would be fine:

Araquanid @ Choice Band / Waterium Z / Assault. Vest
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Mirror Coat
- Poison Jab / Lunge
Thanks a lot!

Also, forgot to mention this in my previous post, but any idea for a good team mate? I was thinking Excadrill since they kinda cover each other's weaknesses pretty nice, at least at first glance.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks a lot!

Also, forgot to mention this in my previous post, but any idea for a good team mate? I was thinking Excadrill since they kinda cover each other's weaknesses pretty nice, at least at first glance.
Trick Room support is really good, since Liquidation is actually strong enough to sweep most offensive teams, so try something like Mimikyu or Porygon2 there. Araquanid does absolutely nothing to Mega Salamence so you need to make sure that's covered, Porygon2 can do this as well, however you can also consider Cresselia for the dual TR + Mence check. The type synergy between Araquanid and Excadrill looks good on paper, however I can't see them forming any kind of core together.

If you want a fast Charizard I would probably just use Max speed. Some defensive benchmarks you could ev for on a bulky zard could be Kangaskhan Double Edge, LO Tapu Koko Tbolt outside of electric terrain, Megagross Zen Headbutt in Psychic Terrain, and Rock Slide from Landorus-T (Garchomp is also an option because it's so common). For slower speed benchmarks you could do Tapu Bulu or Heatran.
Definitely a + Speed nature. You don't want to lose crucial speed ties. Char Y is not meant to be a defensive pokemon.
Thanks to both of you for your answers.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
How does a typical Battle Spot Singles rain team look like?
Rain teams only really exist to the extent of having a rain setter and one rain sweeper, often Pelipper and Kingdra (and Mega Swampert when that's released). The rest of the team really shouldn't be dependent on rain though bulky Steels like Celesteela and Ferrothorn are also really nice to have, especially the latter since it resists Electric. Rain setups tend to have more glaring weaknesses since you're stacking two Water-types so the rest of the team should ideally have ways to deal with Electric-types, and to a lesser extent, Grass-types.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Rain teams only really exist to the extent of having a rain setter and one rain sweeper, often Pelipper and Kingdra (and Mega Swampert when that's released). The rest of the team really shouldn't be dependent on rain though bulky Steels like Celesteela and Ferrothorn are also really nice to have, especially the latter since it resists Electric. Rain setups tend to have more glaring weaknesses since you're stacking two Water-types so the rest of the team should ideally have ways to deal with Electric-types, and to a lesser extent, Grass-types.
Something I'd mention in particular: If you're making a rain team, prepare for Thundurus-T! While Thundurus-T doesn't do well against rain sweepers itself, its a huge bastard to switch into, especially for teams that use Ferrothorn in the rain to deal with Tapu Koko, since Thundurus-T usually has Focus Blast.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)