Resource SM RU Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Natan

is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I also got water spout, dragon pulse, and aura sphere as egg moves for it because I bred with a clawitzer in pokemon x and the blastoise I bred with had those same moves. I understand why rain dish might be useless but is there a good reason to use torrent on a modest blastoise in uu?
Imo you should ask in UU SQSA, but it's pretty much what ChrystalFalchion said

Is torrent blastoise any good over rain dish? In pokemon moon I received a 6 perfect iv modest squirtle that unfortunately has torrent (bred with a 5 perfect iv modest rain dish lv 100 blastoise that I transferred over from pokemon alpha sapphire).
They're about equal. Rain dish is only good on rain teams, so keep the torrent one.

Blastoise is not even a good fit in rain, to be fair. Doesn't really contribute anything special that a bunch of other water-types (which actually have swift swim) do. So basically Torrent should always be your ability of choice

I saw Leafeon in the VR's B-rank and wondered what has changed for it to become this viable all of a sudden. Previously, it was top-tier PU, so I'm just curious to see what circumstances have allowed for it to start shining.

phantom

Banned deucer.
I saw Leafeon in the VR's B-rank and wondered what has changed for it to become this viable all of a sudden. Previously, it was top-tier PU, so I'm just curious to see what circumstances have allowed for it to start shining.
Z moves and sun. Z double edge with swords dance leaf blade and knock off makes it a pretty potent sun sweeper. Z double edge is pretty useful in taking out a lot of conventional sun checks such as dragalge, kommo-o, and moltres, and it has the bulk to setup on a number of common Pokémon like donphan, rhyperior, and gligar. The speed is also pretty nice because adamant leafeon is still faster than timid specs gardevoir, which is relevant because gardevoir can trace chlorophyll and revenge kill other sun sweepers. Behind venusaur, it's probably the best chlorophyll sweeper.

Z moves and sun. Z double edge with swords dance leaf blade and knock off makes it a pretty potent sun sweeper. Z double edge is pretty useful in taking out a lot of conventional sun checks such as dragalge, kommo-o, and moltres, and it has the bulk to setup on a number of common Pokémon like donphan, rhyperior, and gligar. The speed is also pretty nice because adamant leafeon is still faster than timid specs gardevoir, which is relevant because gardevoir can trace chlorophyll and revenge kill other sun sweepers. Behind venusaur, it's probably the best chlorophyll sweeper.
That's very interesting, actually. Thank you for the insightful response!

What HP do you guys recommend for Houndoom?
There are a lot of options(grass water ice steel) and I don't know which one is the most suitable. I know theoretically it should be according to what difficulties my team faces but I don't have a team built and want to know some general opinions.

phantom

Banned deucer.
What HP do you guys recommend for Houndoom?
There are a lot of options(grass water ice steel) and I don't know which one is the most suitable. I know theoretically it should be according to what difficulties my team faces but I don't have a team built and want to know some general opinions.
I've used Houndoom a bit and I think this is the best way to use it if you really want to:

Houndoom @ Grassium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Solar Beam

Grassium Z with Solar Beam lets it KO Gigalith and Milotic at +2, so it's a better option than any Hidden Power. That being said, I think Houndoom just doesn't really work in this meta. It's too frail for how slow it is and it needs to boost in order to pose as a threat. The other problem is that it has trouble setting up on much to begin with, so you're usually not going to get much use out of using Houndoom. Instead, I think Salazzle is a lot better. Despite being frailer than Houndoom, having 3 4x resistances actually lets it set up on a number of common Pokemon like Florges, Comfey, certain Escavalier, and Chesnaught, so it's a far better sweeper than Houndoom, where Houndoom's only advantage of it is being able to break Gigalith, Quagsire, and Rhyperior, while notable, isn't enough to make it worth using given its extensive list of flaws stated before and doesn't make up for the Pokemon Salazzle has the potential to beat that Houndoom never will, like Mantine and Snorlax.

Here's a Salazzle set you can try:

Salazzle @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power Ice

Pretty straightforward. Poisonium Z at +2 lets Salazzle break through specially defensive Waters like Mantine, Milotic, and HP Ice KOs Flygon without any boosts and can dent other junk like Dragalge, SpD Gligar, and Tyrantrum. You can try out other moves like Taunt or Encore too if Flygon isn't a concern for your team.

I've used Houndoom a bit and I think this is the best way to use it if you really want to:

Houndoom @ Grassium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Solar Beam

Grassium Z with Solar Beam lets it KO Gigalith and Milotic at +2, so it's a better option than any Hidden Power. That being said, I think Houndoom just doesn't really work in this meta. It's too frail for how slow it is and it needs to boost in order to pose as a threat. The other problem is that it has trouble setting up on much to begin with, so you're usually not going to get much use out of using Houndoom. Instead, I think Salazzle is a lot better. Despite being frailer than Houndoom, having 3 4x resistances actually lets it set up on a number of common Pokemon like Florges, Comfey, certain Escavalier, and Chesnaught, so it's a far better sweeper than Houndoom, where Houndoom's only advantage of it is being able to break Gigalith, Quagsire, and Rhyperior, while notable, isn't enough to make it worth using given its extensive list of flaws stated before and doesn't make up for the Pokemon Salazzle has the potential to beat that Houndoom never will, like Mantine and Snorlax.

Here's a Salazzle set you can try:

Salazzle @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power Ice

Pretty straightforward. Poisonium Z at +2 lets Salazzle break through specially defensive Waters like Mantine, Milotic, and HP Ice KOs Flygon without any boosts and can dent other junk like Dragalge, SpD Gligar, and Tyrantrum. You can try out other moves like Taunt or Encore too if Flygon isn't a concern for your team.
Well by Houndoom I obviously meant Mega Houndoom since its megastone was recently released but thanks for the output.

Is bulletproof useful over overgrow for chesnaught? I just hatched a 6 iv adamant chespin that unfortunately has overgrow. I know that chesnaught's sets are smogon are defensive sets but is bulletproof worth it for chesnaught?

yes, bulletproof is considered the superior ability always. It lets chesnaught take powerful shadow balls and focus blasts, and even avoid sludge bomb which would be super effective.
Also, adamant is generally considered a sub-optimal ability for ches. It usually run impish.

Is bulletproof useful over overgrow for chesnaught? I just hatched a 6 iv adamant chespin that unfortunately has overgrow. I know that chesnaught's sets are smogon are defensive sets but is bulletproof worth it for chesnaught?
Bulletproof is an awesome ability, giving you completely immunity to several extremely powerful moves, most notably Sludge Bomb, Shadow Ball, and Focus Blast. This can be very annoying for opponents to work around, and gives you an extremely solid answer to choice-locked pokemon using such moves. It's by no means a perfect ability - most pokemon carry something else that can hit Chesnaught, and poison types can run Sludge Wave instead - but the fact that players alter their movesets to account for this ability speaks to its effectiveness.

On the flip-side, Chesnaught's slow speed makes it difficult to utilize Overgrow. If his health is that low, he's pretty much guaranteed to be KO'd the following turn. This prevents him from utilizing Overgrow more than once per match, and if you don't use a Grass-type move on that one turn then the benefit is wasted. Overall this is just too small an effect, so it doesn't stand out as an option compared with the much more influential Bulletproof.

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
there is the option of running a sub salac belly drum set which can make use of overgrow to further boost damage from seed bomb once it has set up but you probably want jolly for that set and i believe bd is an egg move anyway

Is there something compared to Avalugg in (very old) RU ? Physical defensive wall with Recover/Roost etc. and Utility (Rapid Spin/SR)?

Avalugg - kinda - works against Sharpedo and Feraligatr, but it is quite obvious that it sucks otherwise. I want to test something in RU though

NG Spencer

Banned deucer.
What is the best sticky web user in the current tier, is there one that also learns stealth rocks. Smeargle fills this role, but I was wondering if there was another pokemon I was missing that would work better. Also, if smeargle is the best option, what should it run for its last two moves, I've been torn between magic coat, taunt, spore, nuzzle and memento.

Senpai D.M

さようなら
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
What is the best sticky web user in the current tier, is there one that also learns stealth rocks. Smeargle fills this role, but I was wondering if there was another pokemon I was missing that would work better. Also, if smeargle is the best option, what should it run for its last two moves, I've been torn between magic coat, taunt, spore, nuzzle and memento.
Shuckle learns both as well

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Galvantula is also pretty nice as a webs setter

Natan

is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Webs isn't really good in RU, Shuckle and Galvantula are your options
Shuckle have no offensive presence and can't do basically anything against Espeon and Xatu, is really bulky though. Galvantula can beat the common defoggers,Xatu, can do a decent damage to the common spinners and is harder for Espeon to switch in, but it will just faint quickly, both aren't good. We have a lot of fast mons that are Flying type/have Levitate to ignore Webs (Flygon, Swellow, Moltres, Mismagius, Yanmega) and it's just easy to get rid of Rocks, if you want I would recommend Galvantula, if you want Rocks + Webs, Shuckle but yeah...I wouldn't recommend Sticky Web in first place
About Smeargle, not really good...probably Spore and Magic Coat? But I wouldn't recommend Smeargle

Is there a reason that Heliolisk is so mediocre this generation? I would've expected it to be really good but it's C- rank on the viability ranks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)