Pokémon GO

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
explain this... I think a spoofer is hitting gyms here, one went down in at about 6pm.. by 8pm there is a blue name I have never seen... it was grey for 2 hours.. in a park.. with 2 other gyms inside.. others have been left untouched..
Sniping has nothing to do with gyms. It's the way spoofers used to catch Pokemon unchecked before Niantic changed some things during the Grass event.

Spoofers (and the ability to spoof) have not stopped existing since August so yeah the possibility of seeing names you've never seen before is high and will likely stay that way for a while. Gyms being gray / blue / whatever is just a manner of how someone chooses to take a gym: they can either leave it blank, strat it to 10, or just make a weak level 3 one. It is not an indication of a spoofer as they also may choose to do w/e with the gyms.

it is when they have been caught... the problem is the gyms keep going grey... then nothing happening, but this is happening, we cleared them out after random, instincts just swept through the place, now it is single gyms being picked off, on top of the usual spoofer

breh

強いだね
...why?
I'm assuming this is just for personal collection because Shuckle is... really bad, lol.
when I take down a gym for the daily 10 coins I like to put random dex mons (recently, ampharos, but also occasionally baby mons) on it since they're going to get kicked off anyway whether they're blissey or a weedle. this is pretty much the same thing lol

speaking of baby mons, a question: does anybody have the full suite? of the 11 pokemon that I can catch but haven't, 5 are baby mons or their evolutions (lack candy for togetic, only a single tyrogue to evolve into my only hitmonlee, no hitmontop).

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
If you walk a lot you can get the babies in under a month. The Christmas event had higher chances of hatching them and the Easter event allowed you to cycle through eggs faster so you had a higher chance of hatching them (I hatched 11 Togepi during this event,,,).

It's not rly a huge deal since you'll get them at one point and they're useless when you can get the evos in the wild.

won't be anything like that, the battle system would need to be completely overhauled.

Forgot about the Pokemon Bank thing.. that would have been nice to store all my trade fodder.

one of the local gyms, retaken by the team yesterday, and when I found it had 3 venusaur, decided to put mine (another teamate in a car prestiged up and added Girafarig >.>, I added my Venusaur.... the gym now has 6 venusaur and a Girafarig :D

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I can't wait for the full features! Think of it!
They will have Pokémon Go local tournaments, regionals, nationals, world tours, similar to the TCG, Handhelds, and to some degree Poken Tournament.

I could see the legendary worldwide raids where 1 legendary is released in different continents, (like the regionals), and once that continent beats the raid, you make it accessible on other continents (Like Mewtwo in North America, Celebi in Japan), etc.

I know PVP will start as local, but if Pokémon Bank's coding about Pokémon Go having connectivity is correct, I could see this having international wireless battles and tournaments. It would be like a live international video conference on people playing from 2 HQs (1 per nation in a 2v2), and like the trailer before the game was released where 3 guys faced 3 girls you could play in teams not just 1 v 1, or 2 v 2 with all Pokémon from the same trainer in the console games.

It may sound too far out in the future, but it's just a matter of time...
Do you have a source for this? I'm skeptical. Niantic still haven't implemented trading and battling, and it's been nearly a year since launch.

Well, now I just feel curious to know your opinion of Niantic as a Company.

In its history, we pretty much accepted the fact that this company is still a sapling being verbally beaten, criticized, and ***** (had to censor this word though) to submission because of their lack and fear of communicating to their vocal online fans as far back as the days of Ingress. But today, we know that their collateral damage is done because I can deginitely see them as more IT experts than Game designers even today. Does John Hank and his "tiny yet to become a proper game designing company" still deserve the pitchforks and be "burned on the stake" like what had been done to Joan of Arc?

In today, how much should Niantic still improve "as a company" versis "as a game designer"?

they still don't communicate...

oh and hatched ANOTHER 100% IV Dratini.... going to need A LOT of candy to get all of these up to max level dragonites.. got 3 gyms nearby to put them all in though :D

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well, now I just feel curious to know your opinion of Niantic as a Company.

In its history, we pretty much accepted the fact that this company is still a sapling being verbally beaten, criticized, and ***** (had to censor this word though) to submission because of their lack and fear of communicating to their vocal online fans as far back as the days of Ingress. But today, we know that their collateral damage is done because I can deginitely see them as more IT experts than Game designers even today. Does John Hank and his "tiny yet to become a proper game designing company" still deserve the pitchforks and be "burned on the stake" like what had been done to Joan of Arc?

In today, how much should Niantic still improve "as a company" versis "as a game designer"?
From where I stand, they do deserve the criticism they are getting, no matter the company's size. Not because they bit off more they can chew, that's understandable, especially since they were offered by one of the biggest game companies to use one of their biggest properties to make a game similar to one they already had made. But, as stated many times, the lack of communication and promising critical features (PvP, trading, Legendary catching events) which they knew they wouldn't have at launch (and not communicating why it's taking so long to get those critical features) is the nail in the coffin. And instead of working on that, they focus on messing with the Pokemon tracking system, making it harder to track and catch Pokemon, and constantly battling with the Pokemon Mappers.

What does Niantic need to do:
1. SPEAK UP! Communicate! Give us a peak in what's going on in the background! Tell us problems being encountered and delays being caused. Sure some will complain, but you may be surprised how much less heat you'll get (you'll probably get a swarm of suggestions, but most companies ignores those anyway...).
2. Stop messing with the trackers and mappers. Install a tracker that works as players want it to (point me in a direction and tell me how far) and don't worry about people trying to map out where all the Pokemon are because it's not that big of a deal. Yes, they are cheaters who use the maps to "spoof" but they'll do that anyway with or without the maps. If you're going to put any focus in stopping cheaters than it's the spoofing process itself you should focus on and not the maps they're using (since they'd then just rely on Reddit & Twitter to know where to spoof).
3. Figure out PvP, Trading, and those Legendary Events. The first two are core essentials of the franchise and the last one stands out since you released Gen II yet there looks to be no plans to give out the Gen I Legendaries.

Now I'm sure there's also balancing issues with certain Pokemon, but I think other people are better at talking about that than I. That said, I can say something about that: How about letting the players decide what moves their Pokemon has instead of it being random and unchangable? Limiting it to two moves is fine if that's what best works for the battling system you made, but gives the player the option of what kind of moves their Pokemon should know to create their own strategies (and not have wasted their time on a Pokemon who will have moves they find unusable).

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
The balancing issues stem mostly from the CP formula. Remove that (or readjust it) and then you have a slew of viable defenders to throw in gyms. Hopefully they ignore players calling to nerf Blissey when that's the best defender in the game and a genuine challenge compared to the rest.

Niantic acknowledged the RNG of moves in a tweet around a week ago, so it is possible that we will get moveset rerolls in the future.

we had viable defenders before the CP change, the CP formula just puts them at the bottom, where they only annoy your own team.

Lapras was in there as well.

my local fire station seems to be a single spawn Snubbull nest, that happened only last week, wtf.

Last edited:
From where I stand, they do deserve the criticism they are getting, no matter the company's size. Not because they bit off more they can chew, that's understandable, especially since they were offered by one of the biggest game companies to use one of their biggest properties to make a game similar to one they already had made. But, as stated many times, the lack of communication and promising critical features (PvP, trading, Legendary catching events) which they knew they wouldn't have at launch (and not communicating why it's taking so long to get those critical features) is the nail in the coffin. And instead of working on that, they focus on messing with the Pokemon tracking system, making it harder to track and catch Pokemon, and constantly battling with the Pokemon Mappers.

What does Niantic need to do:
1. SPEAK UP! Communicate! Give us a peak in what's going on in the background! Tell us problems being encountered and delays being caused. Sure some will complain, but you may be surprised how much less heat you'll get (you'll probably get a swarm of suggestions, but most companies ignores those anyway...).
2. Stop messing with the trackers and mappers. Install a tracker that works as players want it to (point me in a direction and tell me how far) and don't worry about people trying to map out where all the Pokemon are because it's not that big of a deal. Yes, they are cheaters who use the maps to "spoof" but they'll do that anyway with or without the maps. If you're going to put any focus in stopping cheaters than it's the spoofing process itself you should focus on and not the maps they're using (since they'd then just rely on Reddit & Twitter to know where to spoof).
3. Figure out PvP, Trading, and those Legendary Events. The first two are core essentials of the franchise and the last one stands out since you released Gen II yet there looks to be no plans to give out the Gen I Legendaries.

Now I'm sure there's also balancing issues with certain Pokemon, but I think other people are better at talking about that than I. That said, I can say something about that: How about letting the players decide what moves their Pokemon has instead of it being random and unchangable? Limiting it to two moves is fine if that's what best works for the battling system you made, but gives the player the option of what kind of moves their Pokemon should know to create their own strategies (and not have wasted their time on a Pokemon who will have moves they find unusable).
From seeing your #1, you know what that aspect reminded me about? I remember this video my Matthew Patrick where the CEO of ESPN is out of touch on the rise of E-sports and not even giving them respect because "he is out-of-date" with the trends. Most likely doesn't have a Twitter, unlike Trump.

But overall, I think we should still verbally stab them with our verbal critic pitchforks. So, verbal tortur John Hank until they finally get out of their comfort zone? Or did we end up overdoing it to them?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)