Metagame STABmons

I second this. I thought the people here at Smogon hated complex bans, hence why Baton Pass as a whole was banned from OU. Allowing every other Silvally form except for a specific one is stupid, and goes against this philosophy. No matter what form you have, you're basically always getting a Mega Smeargle which can change types and has a legitimate offensive presence. Either we ban Silvally as a whole, or don't ban it at all.
Nah its not complex banning pokemon, its not like this poke + this move or this ability is banned for example. Just look at OU some examples are, Landorus-I is banned but not Landorus T, Kyurem-W is banned but not Kyurem-B, Shaymin Sky is banned but not Shaymin or remember in past gens some deoxys forms were legal in OU? lol also Hoopa U in but not Hoopa confined in ORAS is another good example. Megas are also different forms they just ban the mega item if its too powerful not the poke itself because its mega.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
not to mention almost all forme changes are tiered seperately, mega evo, rotoms, shaymin, so it would make no sense for silvaly to be the sole exception just because they all look similar.

Banning silvally ghost wouldn't be a complex ban, it would be just like banning a mega since you are banning an item, ghost memory just like we ban metagrossite but not metagross in OU.

One question tho: would silvally still get access to ghost moves if its form gets banned?

On an unrelated note: I feel like, just like in MnM, banned mons should just not get access to new moves, and not be removed from the game. This would be particularly relevant for Tapu Lele, since it could definitely have some viability with its OU moves, for instance in a sticky web HO. I am not saying itd be S rank, but it may earn a spot in B rank.

incoming: massive Evanile forum post.

While yeah, we could and might just go ahead and go ban the Ghost Memory, I think there's a bit more that involves Silvally than just that (and yay me exploring already explored topics, how original of me)

Ghost Silvally is obviously the main contender, with Tail Glow, Quiver Dance, Agility Tail Glow, Swords Dance, Dragon Dance and RP SD sets being viable, with some notably being better than others (cough quiver dance). He only needs two attacks to break the entire meta, being Moongeist Beam and Secret Sword. You also could be lured into switching Chansey in when, in reality, he just sets up Swords Dance and clicks Close Combat. Spore makes matters worse when 1-move setup sets have a free slot and can temporarily render either a counter or check completely defenseless for a short time. Grass Types are a bit common, and some can take a hit or two, but they won't be nuking Silvally back.

Fighting Silvally does a similar job but will just be the replacement, slightly worse Ghostvally that we know and hate right now. It can run the exact same sets since it also just needs Ghost Fighting, but is now stronger on the Fighting aspect, and will probably prefer Physical sets over Special. You're also able to definitely take on Chansey with this if you do run Tail Glow.
+3 252 SpA Silvally-Fighting Secret Sword vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 740-872 (105.2 - 124%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Steel and Water Silvally are the premier defensive ones, and do every single job that you need them to. You need hazard stacking set up for a Mega-Medicham, DD Kyurem-Black, or Tail Glow Yanmega? Silvally has you covered with Rapid Spin, Spikes, and Stealth Rock. You need status spread so your Autotomize Sunsteel Strike Mawile-Mega can switch in and click the boosting move so the opponent has to click X? Don't worry, not only can Silvally just inflict status directly with Thunder Wave, Will-O-Wisp, and Toxic Spikes, but he also can attack and do so with Discharge, Lava Plume, Steam Eruption, or whatever else he needs. Just need a multipurpose wall that can do everything? Grab the nearest Watervally with Steam Eruption, Defog, Stealth Rock, and Strength Sap and you have yourself your mon. Let's not forget that Parting Shot exists!

There's also less explored Silvally types, such as Ground, which is similar to Ghost and Fighting in that it primarily only needs Precipice Blades and Diamond Storm to put major dents in teams, but relies heavily on opposing Grass types to be removed beforehand; Ice and Electric, which can run BoltBeam + Quiver Dance and Spore to clean teams once their checks are managed but do little else, and Normal Silvally, which can run Z-Parting Shot, Lefties and run a support set, FakeSpeed, Ekiller, et cetera.

And so this isn't just another generic post about Silvally:

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gear Grind
- Leech Life
- Roost
- Swords Dance

So, what do you do when you see giant jaw pincers on a Pokemon that already looked threatening enough in its regular form? Exactly what most people would do if a run option was available. Gear Grind is INCREDIBLY strong on Scizor, 2HKOing just about anything that can't outspeed and OHKO it before it manages to hit an opponent. Leech Life is also a nice option to get, since it provides Scizor a way to continue his streak of kills and catch a few cheeky survivals on attacks.

-1 252+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus-Therian: 218-260 (68.1 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian: 348-410 (91 - 107.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
-1 252+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian: 156-186 (40.8 - 48.6%) -- approx. 70.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Offensive Lando doesn't appreciate taking a -1, while Defensive can't take a +1 (+2 then Intimidate) after Rocks or chip damage.

+2 252+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 794-936 (112.9 - 133.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Chansey also can't switch in to Transform and start Roosting off the damage.

252+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tapu Fini: 264-312 (76.9 - 90.9%) -- approx. 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Fini tanks ok for when not at +2, but with two hits and a decent crit rate, have fun with that.

252+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 266-314 (73.2 - 86.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Then AV Magearna also doesn't appreciate taking a +0 Gear Grind. Same issue as Fini.

+2 252+ Atk Scizor-Mega Leech Life vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 214-253 (60.7 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Ferro can slowly attempt to chip away at Scizor, but when Sap Sipper does no damage to Scizor, and only lowers Attack by one stage, it's only a matter of time before either a double switch happens or the Scizor player gets the boosts they want. Leech Life is also good for restoring health from Ferrothorn.

Bulky spreads are also possible, but I like the damage output of 252+. 252 HP / 112 Defense / 144 Attack Adamant allows you to tank one +2 Dragon Ascent without chip damage from Landorus Therian, while max max HP SpDef with Careful lets you take, on a roll, Specs Ashgren Water Spout without previous chip (18% death, no stoppin ashgren). You also can run Bullet Punch over Roost and go for a more offensively oriented spread, but I prefer longevity over outspeeding maybe one mon.

one last edit: I could be mistaken with some spreads or basic info on silvally types, forgive me if I'm wrong.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
theres no point in banning ghost memory. since it actually has a small niche for normal types. just suspect ghost-silvally since all form changes are tiered separately. its not complex banning, quite the opposite. plus banning a single item is really weird.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Alright, you've all raised a good point about how banning Ghost Silvally wouldn't be considered complex. I misinterpreted the definition of what is considered "complex". Oops! Also, I still think we should suspect Silvally as a whole, but Ghost is definitely the main form that needs to go.

Since we're talking about god doggo, I thought I would share a more unconventional Silvally set I came up with.

Silvally-Fire @ Fire Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Sacred Fire/Fire Lash/V-Create
- Bolt Strike

This set is designed to break down the plethora of bulky steel and grass types that inhabit the tier. Nature's Madness is chosen over Super Fang due to being able to hit Ghost types, which SF can't do. Taunt prevents Spore, as well as healing like Leech Seed, Synthesis or Roost. As for your fire move, it depends. If you wanna fish for a burn, pick Sacred Fire. Fire Lash is the option if you want to chip away at the defenses of a wall. V-Create is there for straight-up power. Finally, Bolt Strike is to break down Pelipper, Toxapex, and other water types.

Other Options
If you're really paranoid about Swampert, you could try to fit in Trop Kick or Wood Hammer somewhere. Fusion Bolt and Volt Tackle are choices over Bolt Strike if you're a stickler about accuracy.

I experimented with bulky Gyarados as a bulky DD sweeper, and it works surprisingly well, being able to set up on a lot of mons, more than I expected. This is the current set:
I wanna be Ray (Gyarados-Mega) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Crabhammer
- Dragon Ascent

It can set up on a lot of mons thanks to its impressive bulk, and once enough boosts are accumulated, it turns into a terrifying sweeper and stallbreaker with two high-powered STAB moves. Because DA lowers its defenses, you should use it carefully, and prefer Crabhammer unless the opponent resists it.
Altough it loses STAB on DA, having Gyaradosite is nice for the added bulk and the type change which removes the Accelerock weakness and gives it a resistance to Sucker Punch, while Mold Breaker allows it to plough through sturdy and unaware.
A good check is obviously Koko, especially the scarfed variant, which outspeeds even after a couple of dragon dances and OHKOs with Bolt Strike.
Also Toxic can be very annoing, as it can't stay in and accumulate boosts for long when being inflicted with toxic poison. Against opposing stall builds I sometimes even switch intentinally into Glare or Nuzzle , because it doesn't need that much speed to break stall and becomes immune to poison as soon as it gets paralyzed. Also King's Shield Celesteela can be annoying to deal with (if running Beak Blast, it is easier to defeat, as Beak Blast doesn't make contact).

EV

Banned deucer.
Alright, you've all raised a good point about how banning Ghost Silvally wouldn't be considered complex. I misinterpreted the definition of what is considered "complex". Oops! Also, I still think we should suspect Silvally as a whole, but Ghost is definitely the main form that needs to go.

Since we're talking about god doggo, I thought I would share a more unconventional Silvally set I came up with.

Silvally-Fire @ Fire Memory
Adamant Nature
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Sacred Fire/Fire Lash/V-Create
- Bolt Strike

This set is designed to break down the plethora of bulky steel and grass types that inhabit the tier. Nature's Madness is chosen over Super Fang due to being able to hit Ghost types, which SF can't do. Taunt prevents Spore, as well as healing like Leech Seed, Synthesis or Roost. As for your fire move, it depends. If you wanna fish for a burn, pick Sacred Fire. Fire Lash is the option if you want to chip away at the defenses of a wall. V-Create is there for straight-up power. Finally, Bolt Strike is to break down Pelipper, Toxapex, and other water types.

Other Options
If you're really paranoid about Swampert, you could try to fit in Trop Kick or Wood Hammer somewhere. Fusion Bolt and Volt Tackle are choices over Bolt Strike if you're a stickler about accuracy.
Another option for Fire Sylvally is Burn Up, a 130 bp, 100% accurate Fire move it can spam repeatedly (because Silvally can never change type with RKS System active).

Now, some sets.

People are really sleeping on Thundurus. I agree that it's not at the same level it was at the end of ORAS pre-ban, but it's still quite good, and with the addition of Shore Up Tyranitar/Steelix etc running around, I've come up with an anti-meta set.

Thundurus (M) @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Taunt / Thunderbolt
- Oblivion Wing
- Focus Blast

Another guy to try out is Banded Stakeout Gumshoos. Dude hits like a transformers truck. The second calc may not look as impressive, but chunking one of the premier physical walls in STABmons by half is really nice, forcing the Lando-T to Shore Up the damage as you switch. Adaptability is also nice, but I'd run Swords Dance for that.

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Gumshoos Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 382-450 (112 - 131.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Gumshoos Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian: 196-232 (51.3 - 60.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Gumshoos @ Choice Band
Ability: Stakeout
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- U-turn

I forget who asked, but I think that banning Silvally-Ghost wouldn't change how other Silvally formes would get Ghost-type moved. Say we are in a theoretical in-game situation, you could still change to Ghost-type and back, you would just be able to enter an online match with it. Just like how Shaymin gets access to all Grass- and Flying-type moves, even though Shaymin-Sky is banned.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Another option for Fire Sylvally is Burn Up, a 130 bp, 100% accurate Fire move it can spam repeatedly (because Silvally can never change type with RKS System active).

Now, some sets.

People are really sleeping on Thundurus. I agree that it's not at the same level it was at the end of ORAS pre-ban, but it's still quite good, and with the addition of Shore Up Tyranitar/Steelix etc running around, I've come up with an anti-meta set.

Thundurus (M) @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Taunt / Thunderbolt
- Oblivion Wing
- Focus Blast

Another guy to try out is Banded Stakeout Gumshoos. Dude hits like a transformers truck. The second calc may not look as impressive, but chunking one of the premier physical walls in STABmons by half is really nice, forcing the Lando-T to Shore Up the damage as you switch. Adaptability is also nice, but I'd run Swords Dance for that.

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Gumshoos Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 382-450 (112 - 131.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Gumshoos Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian: 196-232 (51.3 - 60.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Gumshoos @ Choice Band
Ability: Stakeout
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- U-turn
Oh hey, didn't know Burn Up worked liked that. I initially favored a physical wallbreaker due to wanting Bolt Strike, but after learning that little tidbit, I definitely wanna try a special variation. Thanks!

Reactions: EV
having peaking 2nd on the ladder i would love to share some wonderful sets with u

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Bolt Strike
- Play Rough
- Hidden Power [Ice]/grass knot

a very powerful cleaner/wallbreaker, its not easy playing against this mon, magnet maximizes its electric without any drawbacks, bb can also be used but imo its not good really.

Slowking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Future Sight/psystrike
- Scald
- Dragon Tail
- Flamethrower

gen 6 drawback mon :o, still as good as ever blank checking alot of special threats like mega pid/pory-z and even forms of silv

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Spore
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Seed Flare

underused set, tang physical bulk is insane some say av is better but i have a soft spot for this, it handles speed spam/checks alot of sweepers like dd garchomp/sand and even rain sweepers like swampert

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave

underrated mon, shits on kyu-b sets, one twave and u gud

will be posting a dump soon :0

i believe silv-ghost isnt as good as people may think it is, its not that broken as many think it is, it has access to every move yh but u have 4 slots. silv-ghost is very weak. 95 spa isnt that great all those qd sets 100% fail to sweep when i was on ladder silv couldnt even breathe while it was in there. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7stabmons-598471628
+2 252+ SpA Silvally-Ghost Moongeist Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-Black: 315-372 (80.5 - 95.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
u see this calc, plz acknowledge that this think is not broken in anyway or form. spore/coverage/unpredictability are all going for this mon but every one of its sets are countered without u even thinking about silv itself, no one not even me have had a successful sweep with this mon its way too weak, literally every one of its support sets are way better than its offensive sets all of those ghost/fire coverage,ghost/fighting coverage, heck run 4 attacks and be good but it will have hard stops no matter what and its not impacting the meta one bit. the best sets are tg sets that all can be used countered if ur teambuilding skills are at least medicore.

examples of counters are:
Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Defog
- Parting Shot
- Roost
- Toxic
this beats every set without fairy/ice/electric coverage
its pretty easy to put thou on a tg+3 attacks but the problem with tg+3 attacks is that u must be boltmean sword and nothing else otherwise its bad not to mention it cant touch offense only bulky offense/stall

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog/taunt/haze
- Nature's Madness
- Scald
- Moonlight
or
Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Bolt Strike
- Play Rough
- Hidden Power [Ice]

these two mon are the reason why spore cant be so easily spammed in this meta, u can run these two and easily beat every spore variation of silv

Magearna @ Safety Goggles/lefties
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonlight
- Heart Swap
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt/icebeam

every silv qd variation set loses to this thou it needs terrain to perform against a ghost-silv, some may think that support is too much but really is it?
this set focuses on beating qd sets. fire coverage???? lol dont even think about it, its not good at all
its standard recovery with heart swap which is vital facing a silv=ghost, thunderbolt is for celest this is just my set since i have been struggling against those beam works to

i believe that ghost-silv silv in general was overhyped and deemed too powerful without any test. i am strongly against suspecting silv but now i think he needs suspecting so that people can understand what are pros and cons of using silv and how to fight against it.

i strongly recommend that u should play the ladder to experience how all of the forms of silv really perform through out the battle/s its not bad ofc its a pretty good mon, learning every move can be a great trait but at the same time it can really bad i hope people can understand this :toast:

why the hell is kyu-b allowed zzzzz

Hi! I really love this meta im so glad this won om of the month

Anyways theres something ive been wanting to ask honestly, what makes ghostvally so broken but not the other silvally forms? I mean fightingvally can basically do the same thing as ghostvally with the only difference is that fightingvalley is not immune to fakespeed, what else does ghost form has over the fighting form that makes it broken?

Also, i have a wild suggestion (will probably not happen but i at least want your opinion on it)

Instead of banning pokemon how about we just instead ban their ability to get stab moves? So basically u can still have a tapu lele but u cant use psystrike, same for kartana and spore/woodhammer ..etc

I also dont think its a complex ban as its not too specific (like banning psystrike on lele, or spore on kartana), i see it close to how m&m works (ban the ability to hold stones not the user)

I mean its a good way to keep variety in the tier (usage of psychic terrain or electric terrain if koko gets banned) and give the player more options to use(the non-stabmon version of kyurem/koko and uh ghost silvally if youre into that)

sleeper megas, in the current metagame:

Camerupt-Mega @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Shore Up
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earth Power
- Blue Flare
Our first sleeper is Camerupt-Mega, a Pokemon you likely won't see often in standard play. Camerupt-Mega makes for a solid choice on your team to completely, full-proof, counter Tapu Koko! Furthermore, Camerupt-Mega can go toe-to-toe with Rotom-H, which seems to be gaining popularity. Camerupt-Mega will often be seen run alongside Trick Room Pokemon, such as Uxie, or Magearna, as this is where Camerupt-Mega shines; flipping the table and taking advantage of its abysmal Speed stat. Shore Up finally gives Camerupt-Mega recovery options, something it's been notable for lacking in the past. Hidden Power [Ice] lets Camerupt-Mega smack Zygarde, and also OHKO Landorus-T and Garchomp, two Pokemon which think they can switch in easily on Earth Power, or Blue Flare, respectively. Earth Power and Blue Flare are the meat of this set, hitting an astounding 117 BP for Earth Power, and an even higher 169 BP for Blue Flare, thanks to Sheer Force. Camerupt-Mega needs to be paired alongside Water-type checks, as although no Water-type bar Tapu Fini likes switching in on Camerupt-Mega, they all, obviously, OHKO with their STAB options. If you're not running any other Mega Evolution, or you're running Trick Room, and want to try out a severely scary volcano, then try out Camerupt-Mega!

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Sunsteel Strike
Next, we have Mawile-Mega, the previously banned Mega Evolution which makes an appearance in SM with a newfound toy in Sunsteel Strike. Mawile-Mega is an incredibly threatening wallbreaker thanks to Huge Power and its excellent STAB coverage. Mawile-Mega will be seen as a defensive pivot of sorts, as its typing allows it to check things like Porygon-Z and even Silvally-Ghost. Swords Dance allows Mawile-Mega to boost its sky-high attack even further, enabling it OHKO Celesteela and Landorus-T with ease, which not a lot of other physical wallbreakers can attest to. Sucker Punch makes up for its poor Speed stat, and even with the nerf to the damage, still hits incredibly strong thanks to all the power Mawile-Mega brings with its punch. Play Rough and Sunsteel Strike are two excellent offensive assets and Sunsteel Strike is a great buff to Mawile-Mega, as it's a more reliable Gear Grind essentially (though, if you're worried about Subs a lot, use Gear Grind I guess!) and it beats through Disguise which is cool. You could opt to run an elemental Fang or Punch for specific coverage as well: Thunder Punch for Tapu Fini; Ice Punch for Landorus-T / Garchomp; and Fire Fang for Ferrothorn and other Steel-types. Oh yeah, and Hyper Cutter > Intimidate for me because I found that without Ice coverage, Landorus-T was a bigger immediate threat, so preventing the Attack drop is cool. Huge threat in such a little Pokemon – give it a try!

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Liquidation
Then, we have Gyarados-Mega. Gyarados-Mega was very much on the radar last generation, but it seems to have fallen off in favor of other new threats. However, do not be mistaken, Gyarados-Mega is a force to be reckoned with. It's got the bulk to go toe-to-toe with Silvally-Ghost, while also beating Greninja very comfortably. The EV spread on this set is to outspeed 252+ Tapu Koko after one Dragon Dance, which is a great benchmark to reach. Afterwards, Gyarados-Mega is free to wreak havoc. Roost is such a great addition to Gyarados-Mega's expansive movepool, and it makes the bulk, typing, and power of Gyarados-Mega last much longer throughout the match. Crunch and Liquidation are the obvious choices for STAB attacking options. One could opt to run Beak Blast, or Dragon Ascent, to muscle through Mega Venusaur. However, I feel that Gyarados-Mega needs all that it has on this set in order to function to its greatest degree of ability. Therefore, a Psychic- or Flying-type such as Hoopa-U or Landorus-T which can both beat Mega Venusaur is greatly appreciated. Tapu Koko checks as well, because it's an immediate threat and could possibly be running a Choice Scarf. Better safe than sorry!

Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite
Ability: No Guard
Timid Nature
- Sing
- Heat Wave
- Hurricane
- Boomburst
Our next Sleep Talk'er is Pidgeot-Mega, a threat to be reckoned with in all the right ways. Pidgeot-Mega is a great selection for an offensive Special Attacker due to its utility and superb coverage options. One should run things like Greninja to break through bulkier special walls in conjunction with Pidgeot-Mega or a Ground-type such as Garchomp to ease the matchup versus Steel-types. Pidgeot-Mega is the only Pokemon in the game that has a 100% accurate Sing, a Sleep-inducing move which gets around Substitute and no Pokemon is immune to, unlike Spore. The coverage Pidgeot-Mega has and the extra utility it has can also be run. However, I went with a more direct, offensive approach to Pidgeot-Mega. Here are some of the other options Pidgeot-Mega has in its arsenal: Roost or Oblivion Wing, both for longevity; U-turn to provide extra momentum; Hidden Power [Ice] to scare off Zygarde and Garchomp immediately. The only relevant Pokemon which resist Heat Wave / Hurricane / Boomburst are Heatran, Nihilego, and Tyranitar. Therefore, a Ground-type is appreciated as I've previously mentioned, as Pokemon such as Garchomp or Landorus-T excellent choices. Try the never-miss bird out!

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Shore Up
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
And finally we have Steelix-Mega, the big bad defensive wall. Steelix-Mega saw a great buff alongside Camerupt-Mega in that both now have Shore Up, making recovery a breeze. Steelix-Mega holds the title of being the absolute best Tapu Koko counter to exist in the game. Whereas the incredibly uncommon, almost non-used, Hidden Power [Ground] Tapu Koko (which could be viable, provided that Camerupt-Mega somehow becomes much more common), 2HKOes Camerupt-Mega, this would never be the case in any scenario. Obviously this is a made-up, not-likely situation, but it illustrates how Steelix-Mega is about as reliable of a Tapu Koko counter as it comes. Not prone to being worn down either! Stealth Rock is the next choice for obvious team support. Earthquake as well. However, the Steel-type coverage move is your decision to make. I decided on Heavy Slam over say Gyro Ball, Sunsteel Strike, or Gear Grind, thanks to the additional PP, reliability, and the fact that it can reach 120 BP, whereas only Gyro Ball could also attest to that. Steelix-Mega really does live up to its ability: Sturdy. I encourage you to give the steel snake a test.

These are some cool Mega Evolutions you can choose to run! For some reason, I don't really see a lot used at this point. However, there's certainly a ton that are viable. Medicham-Mega, Blastoise-Mega, and Pinsir-Mega are some honorable mentions for interesting Mega Evolutions that are simply not as viable as the ones listed above, and I'm just incredibly too tired to write too much about them!

Hi! I really love this meta im so glad this won om of the month

Anyways theres something ive been wanting to ask honestly, what makes ghostvally so broken but not the other silvally forms? I mean fightingvally can basically do the same thing as ghostvally with the only difference is that fightingvalley is not immune to fakespeed, what else does ghost form has over the fighting form that makes it broken?

Also, i have a wild suggestion (will probably not happen but i at least want your opinion on it)

Instead of banning pokemon how about we just instead ban their ability to get stab moves? So basically u can still have a tapu lele but u cant use psystrike, same for kartana and spore/woodhammer ..etc

I also dont think its a complex ban as its not too specific (like banning psystrike on lele, or spore on kartana), i see it close to how m&m works (ban the ability to hold stones not the user)

I mean its a good way to keep variety in the tier (usage of psychic terrain or electric terrain if koko gets banned) and give the player more options to use(the non-stabmon version of kyurem/koko and uh ghost silvally if youre into that)
The main issue is that in a format whose revengekillers are largely normal type (banded espeed or fakespeed) ghost silvally can ignore the most powerful ones, so other than marowak alola's shadow sneak it basically just mows through a team if allowed to set up.

I personally think it's merely good and not banworthy anymore, I agree with Akashi now. The bulk is decent but the base offenses of silvally aren't threatening enough without *multiple* boosts and it's not difficult to stop it from getting out of hand.

On another suspect topic I think Thundurus is actually borderline bannable. Its speed tier and offensive power paired with access to plenty of prankster abusable stats moves (defog, roost, taunt, nasty plot, sub, etc) is pretty hard to handle. Chansey can "take it on" but if it subs up chanseys only real option is to whirlwind. This is the moveset I've personally been using to great effect, as prankster sub lets you scout a lot and can often fish for a miss or a bad predict (eating a uturn and leaving the sub up).

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Oblivion Wing
- Substitute

Dunfan

formerly Dunsparce Fanboy
Now that Accelerock is a thing...

Aron @ Shell Bell
Level: 1
IVs: 0 HP
- Accelerock
- Endeavor
- Sandstorm
- Toxic

Maybe that old bad gimmick finally gets a little niche ?
Will probably never be viable but looks finally decent.

sleeper megas, in the current metagame:

Camerupt-Mega @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Shore Up
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earth Power
- Blue Flare
Our first sleeper is Camerupt-Mega, a Pokemon you likely won't see often in standard play. Camerupt-Mega makes for a solid choice on your team to completely, full-proof, counter Tapu Koko! Furthermore, Camerupt-Mega can go toe-to-toe with Rotom-H, which seems to be gaining popularity. Camerupt-Mega will often be seen run alongside Trick Room Pokemon, such as Uxie, or Magearna, as this is where Camerupt-Mega shines; flipping the table and taking advantage of its abysmal Speed stat. Shore Up finally gives Camerupt-Mega recovery options, something it's been notable for lacking in the past. Hidden Power [Ice] lets Camerupt-Mega smack Zygarde, and also OHKO Landorus-T and Garchomp, two Pokemon which think they can switch in easily on Earth Power, or Blue Flare, respectively. Earth Power and Blue Flare are the meat of this set, hitting an astounding 117 BP for Earth Power, and an even higher 169 BP for Blue Flare, thanks to Sheer Force. Camerupt-Mega needs to be paired alongside Water-type checks, as although no Water-type bar Tapu Fini likes switching in on Camerupt-Mega, they all, obviously, OHKO with their STAB options. If you're not running any other Mega Evolution, or you're running Trick Room, and want to try out a severely scary volcano, then try out Camerupt-Mega!

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Sunsteel Strike
Next, we have Mawile-Mega, the previously banned Mega Evolution which makes an appearance in SM with a newfound toy in Sunsteel Strike. Mawile-Mega is an incredibly threatening wallbreaker thanks to Huge Power and its excellent STAB coverage. Mawile-Mega will be seen as a defensive pivot of sorts, as its typing allows it to check things like Porygon-Z and even Silvally-Ghost. Swords Dance allows Mawile-Mega to boost its sky-high attack even further, enabling it OHKO Celesteela and Landorus-T with ease, which not a lot of other physical wallbreakers can attest to. Sucker Punch makes up for its poor Speed stat, and even with the nerf to the damage, still hits incredibly strong thanks to all the power Mawile-Mega brings with its punch. Play Rough and Sunsteel Strike are two excellent offensive assets and Sunsteel Strike is a great buff to Mawile-Mega, as it's a more reliable Gear Grind essentially (though, if you're worried about Subs a lot, use Gear Grind I guess!) and it beats through Disguise which is cool. You could opt to run an elemental Fang or Punch for specific coverage as well: Thunder Punch for Tapu Fini; Ice Punch for Landorus-T / Garchomp; and Fire Fang for Ferrothorn and other Steel-types. Oh yeah, and Hyper Cutter > Intimidate for me because I found that without Ice coverage, Landorus-T was a bigger immediate threat, so preventing the Attack drop is cool. Huge threat in such a little Pokemon – give it a try!

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Liquidation
Then, we have Gyarados-Mega. Gyarados-Mega was very much on the radar last generation, but it seems to have fallen off in favor of other new threats. However, do not be mistaken, Gyarados-Mega is a force to be reckoned with. It's got the bulk to go toe-to-toe with Silvally-Ghost, while also beating Greninja very comfortably. The EV spread on this set is to outspeed 252+ Tapu Koko after one Dragon Dance, which is a great benchmark to reach. Afterwards, Gyarados-Mega is free to wreak havoc. Roost is such a great addition to Gyarados-Mega's expansive movepool, and it makes the bulk, typing, and power of Gyarados-Mega last much longer throughout the match. Crunch and Liquidation are the obvious choices for STAB attacking options. One could opt to run Beak Blast, or Dragon Ascent, to muscle through Mega Venusaur. However, I feel that Gyarados-Mega needs all that it has on this set in order to function to its greatest degree of ability. Therefore, a Psychic- or Flying-type such as Hoopa-U or Landorus-T which can both beat Mega Venusaur is greatly appreciated. Tapu Koko checks as well, because it's an immediate threat and could possibly be running a Choice Scarf. Better safe than sorry!

Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite
Ability: No Guard
Timid Nature
- Sing
- Heat Wave
- Hurricane
- Boomburst
Our next Sleep Talk'er is Pidgeot-Mega, a threat to be reckoned with in all the right ways. Pidgeot-Mega is a great selection for an offensive Special Attacker due to its utility and superb coverage options. One should run things like Greninja to break through bulkier special walls in conjunction with Pidgeot-Mega or a Ground-type such as Garchomp to ease the matchup versus Steel-types. Pidgeot-Mega is the only Pokemon in the game that has a 100% accurate Sing, a Sleep-inducing move which gets around Substitute and no Pokemon is immune to, unlike Spore. The coverage Pidgeot-Mega has and the extra utility it has can also be run. However, I went with a more direct, offensive approach to Pidgeot-Mega. Here are some of the other options Pidgeot-Mega has in its arsenal: Roost or Oblivion Wing, both for longevity; U-turn to provide extra momentum; Hidden Power [Ice] to scare off Zygarde and Garchomp immediately. The only relevant Pokemon which resist Heat Wave / Hurricane / Boomburst are Heatran, Nihilego, and Tyranitar. Therefore, a Ground-type is appreciated as I've previously mentioned, as Pokemon such as Garchomp or Landorus-T excellent choices. Try the never-miss bird out!

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Shore Up
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
And finally we have Steelix-Mega, the big bad defensive wall. Steelix-Mega saw a great buff alongside Camerupt-Mega in that both now have Shore Up, making recovery a breeze. Steelix-Mega holds the title of being the absolute best Tapu Koko counter to exist in the game. Whereas the incredibly uncommon, almost non-used, Hidden Power [Ground] Tapu Koko (which could be viable, provided that Camerupt-Mega somehow becomes much more common), 2HKOes Camerupt-Mega, this would never be the case in any scenario. Obviously this is a made-up, not-likely situation, but it illustrates how Steelix-Mega is about as reliable of a Tapu Koko counter as it comes. Not prone to being worn down either! Stealth Rock is the next choice for obvious team support. Earthquake as well. However, the Steel-type coverage move is your decision to make. I decided on Heavy Slam over say Gyro Ball, Sunsteel Strike, or Gear Grind, thanks to the additional PP, reliability, and the fact that it can reach 120 BP, whereas only Gyro Ball could also attest to that. Steelix-Mega really does live up to its ability: Sturdy. I encourage you to give the steel snake a test.

These are some cool Mega Evolutions you can choose to run! For some reason, I don't really see a lot used at this point. However, there's certainly a ton that are viable. Medicham-Mega, Blastoise-Mega, and Pinsir-Mega are some honorable mentions for interesting Mega Evolutions that are simply not as viable as the ones listed above, and I'm just incredibly too tired to write too much about them!
Dont forget mega mawile can utilize bullet punch as a much more reliable priority and sweep, and medicham also has access to mach punch !

Im most excited about steelix, reliable recovery in shore up and phasing, can set up rocks easily and checks alot of the meta like some thundurus sets, koko, (fairies such as mawile/koko including upcoming ones like altaria and gardevoir) it can even eat attacks from kyurem-b at +1 and phase it out

+1 252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Steelix-Mega: 118-141 (33.3 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

The fact it has recovery now and can switch in multiple times on the mons its supposed to check is very interesting, i will try have to try it sometime

Edit: something else to be excited about should be the arrival of marshadow apparently its released now!, as it will allow other ghosts to get spectral thief, while marshadow is a really good mon with many options, particularly being the fastest spectral thief user and the only mon that can use technician stab shadow sneak/mach punch. Or a great revenge killer in general with scarf to dragon dancers or ghostally

Last edited:
I would also like to point out how devastating Sand is in this Meta and i have found it to be very potent both as an additional component on a regular team and a dedicated sand team (rarer case). The reason Sand is so good is because the main Sand Core of Excadrill + Tyranitar went steroid mode on their Stabs as well as utility.

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Sunsteel Strike
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

Excadrill has always been a threatening mon due to it's unbeatable speed and powerful stabs in regular OU but in STABmons it has been blessed with even more powerful stabs in the form of Precipice Blades and Sunsteel Strike which are fairly powerful in their own right. Excess to better STAB's and with so many steel and fire-types as well as setup sweepers in the tier, Excadrill can either break and chip stuff middle game for late game ease or come and clean late game when it's checks and counters have been chipped enough or gone entirely. Excadrill also forces a lot of switches so Swords Dance is always clutch and many games i played with it and got to +2, your number of kills after that is equal to how many sand turns are under your belt.

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Shore Up
- Fire Blast

Now i find this the best boon for Sand since the main downfalls of Sand was not enough good users with reliable offensive and utility offering. You could argue Hippowdon but i find it passive as shit and very one sided and Tyranitar was always a better partner. With Shore-Up and reliable recovery up it's arsenal, defensive tyranitar checks and counters the stuff it is supposed to but with much less risk involved. It also deals with the huge amount of priority ridding the tier and can also check pseudo ghost types. I am running the above set which is simple as it provides rocks, gives 8 turns of killing for Exca and blanket checks a lot of mons. I run a mix set for steel lure and many scizor are caught off-guard by it which is a huge help for Exca, i also tried running ice beam to get rid of lando or gliscor which have high usage as well. Also has Accelerock for that char y nail and a general priority.

Overall Sand does have some notable flaws in the meta as many of excadrill's counters have reliable recovery such as lando-t and Celesteela, bunch of mons getting beak blast definitely dent it's sweeping momentum and a lot of mons are capable of stalling out sand turns but Sand is definitely more powerful and potent to run as per my experience and spectating both as a dedicated and supported core as well as a separate addition to a random one.

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
I might not have much knowledge about the metagame but I like STABmons much enough to give 0 crap about other om of the month when STABmons isn't out.
I mostly spend time creating weird (yet viable) sets which I am about to show couple of them below:

Snorlax @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Filler
- Filler
- Belly Drum

Ursaring @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Filler
- Filler
- Belly Drum

Possible Filler: Elemental Punches, Earthquake, Crunch, Protect, etc.

Thankfully Tapu Lele is banned in this meta and now these two native Belly Drum users who have highest Atk and has Normal typing can function as late game sweeper after the likes of Silvally-Ghost, Diggersby, and others are gone.

Snorlax has titanic special bulk with Gluttony that lets it stay nearly full HP after setting up and kills everything late game (So Mega Medicham has to Fake Out Snorlax 4 times from full HP to knock it out and 3 of its team will die to +6 Extreme Speed). Ursaring is not preferred in general but it has a little better Speed and Attack, and punishes teams that spam status. It can setup against the likes of Chansey. Statusing this Ursaring with Guts and letting it set up Belly Drum results in tragic consequence:

+6 252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 196+ Def Celesteela: 317-373 (79.6 - 93.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

I mean, look at this. Also considering how it has 252 Speed, it will most likely kill Celesteela using +6 of whatever coverage it has.
I personally use Magnezone to eliminate annoying Steel-types that try to wall these two guys, and speaking of Magnezone, here is the set:

Magnezone @ Steelium Z
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Doom Desire
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The first move leaves Magnezone something more than worthwhile to do other than trapping and eliminating Steel-types. Doom Desire strictly restricts opponent's overall switches because who likes taking 130+ SpAtk's BP 140 STAB anyway? Chansey: me Also Steelium Z turns it into BP 200 Corkscrew Crash which OHKOs all Landorus-T, Kyurem-B, Garchomp, severely dents most neutral targets, and KOs Mega Venusaur with Flash Cannon after Stealth Rock damage.

And lastly, here is a fun way to use Gladion's underdog...

;;;;;

Silvally-Ghost / Steel @ Ghost Memory / Steel Memory
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spirit Shackle / Anchor Shot
- Imprison
- Transform
- Recover

This set is, at least for me, fun as hell to use. Especially Ghost Silvally does excellent job luring walls, and Steel Silvally can safely trap opponent against stall teams from which Toxic is abundant; it will otherwise will wear down Silvally after it transforms.
Imprison keeps opponents from using moves that are known by user and transforming into an opponent will result in Silvally having exactly the same moveset as opponent does. Therefore, opponent can’t use any of its moves after Silvally used Imprison then Transform. Assuming opponent is trapped with Spirit Shackle or Anchor Shot, they will spam struggle and will eventually faint, while Silvally is going to have fun with opponent’s movesets.

My weird experiments will continue so stay tuned

Edit: Ban Kyurem-B please for suck's fake

Last edited:

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
https://twitter.com/PokemonLegality/status/881769081044688896

So with this recent news surfacing, I would like to discuss how I feel our little ghost friend will impact the metagame seeing that it already will probably be extremely good in standard tiers. Here are some sets I can see being run:

rsz_1rsz_marshadow.jpg

The first thing that strikes to me when it comes to Marshadow's appealing attributes is that insane offensive typing that grants it an unresisted STAB coverage, meaning that Marshadow is able to break through the entire metagame with just half its movepool alone. On top of this, its 125 Attack and Speed stat lets it outspeed and threaten to wallbreak the majority of common threats in the tier, only leaving a small pool of Pokemon such as Aerodactyl, Ash-Greninja, Tapu Koko, and Mega Alakazam who can claim to outspeed it. It also possesses great natural bulk for an offensive wallbreaker, being able to sustain powerful neutral hits from moderately threatening attackers surprisingly, aiding it prolong itself throughout the entire match. Finally (and probably most importantly), its typing offers it an immunity to Normal-type attacks, meaning that it cannot be threatened by the common "FakeSpeed" combination unlike other fast wallbreakers, even furthering the difficulty to check it. Here are some sample sets I can personally see being effective:

Marshadow @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Storm Throw
- Shadow Sneak / Mach Punch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

With this set, Marshadow abuses its ability in Technician which powers up 60 and below BP moves, meaning that it can effectively break through opposing walls with the combination of STAB Storm Throw + Technician. Its ability also boosts STAB priority options in Shadow Sneak and Mach Punch, meaning that Marshadow can threaten out foes that would want to revenge kill it such as Ash-Greninja and Choice Scarf Gengar. Finally, Hidden Power Ice is used to lure in one of the most common physically defensive pivots in Landorus-T, rendering it useless as a check.

252 Atk Life Orb Technician Marshadow Storm Throw vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-Wash on a critical hit: 192-227 (63.3 - 74.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Technician Marshadow Storm Throw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Celesteela on a critical hit: 199-234 (50 - 58.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Marshadow Spectral Thief vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sylveon: 175-208 (44.4 - 52.7%) -- 85.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Life Orb Technician Marshadow Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 374-442 (97.9 - 115.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

Marshadow @ Marshadium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak / Mach Punch

Marshadow also possesses the luxury of obtaining its own exclusive Z-Move, enabling it to basically OHKO a plethora of common checks after just a +1 boost. With Bulk Up, Marshadow not only boasts its wallbreaking prowess, but also strengthens its defensive capabilities as well, leaving it capable to even avoid being revenge killed by threats such as Sylveon and Alolan-Marowak. Here are some examples of what its capable of breaking with its insane Z-move option:

252 Atk Marshadow Soul-Stealing 7-Star Strike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian: 238-282 (62.3 - 73.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Marshadow Soul-Stealing 7-Star Strike vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-Wash: 319-376 (105.2 - 124%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Marshadow Soul-Stealing 7-Star Strike vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Buzzwole: 264-312 (63.3 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Marshadow @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Work Up
- Ominous Wind
- Secret Sword
- Storm Throw

Here is a mixed Work Up set that I can also see possess merit, allowing Marshadow to threaten walls on both side of the spectrum thanks to its usable Special Attack set. While full out physical sets are strictly better, I still can see this set possess merit as a lure option (with examples of catching walls such as Tapu Fini and Skarmory off guard.

To put it bluntly, Marshadow will be a monster in the metagame imho. I definitely still want to test it out before coming to conclusions, but I think we have a contender for best Ghost-type against Silvally-Ghost.

^In addition to the above, I'd like to point out that Marshadow's release means Spectral Thief is a legal option on Ghost types. Best users, IMO, in no particular order:
  • Marowak-A: Slight bp upgrade to Shadow Bone but more importantly checks setup sweepers that either can't OHKO or Maro somehow outspeeds (Trick Room?)
  • Shedinja: Takes a hit guaranteed with Focus Sash, maybe even more if the opponent can't hit, then gets a chance at sweeping
  • Sableye-M: Bulky enough to take hits and steal boosts before the opponent gets out of hand--I'm thinking repeatedly stealing Quiver Dance from Sivally
  • Rotom-A: Not going to do a whole lot of damage but neat utility option on some defensive sets
  • Doublade: Super bulky on the physical side, allowing it to rob boosts from physical setup sweepers and sweeping on its own terms
  • Gourgeist/Deciduieye/Dhelmise: Similarly bulky Ghost/Grass types that could benefit from ST, maybe checking CM Keldeo or something?
  • Mimikyu: Awesome alternative to Shadow Bone that combos amazingly with Disguise--basically you're a free one-time check to most setup sweepers, and because of this, Mimi is the best user aside from maybe Marshadow itself
  • Silvally: Because why not at this point

Last edited:

EV

Banned deucer.

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Shore Up
- Fire Blast

Now i find this the best boon for Sand since the main downfalls of Sand was not enough good users with reliable offensive and utility offering. You could argue Hippowdon but i find it passive as shit and very one sided and Tyranitar was always a better partner. With Shore-Up and reliable recovery up it's arsenal, defensive tyranitar checks and counters the stuff it is supposed to but with much less risk involved. It also deals with the huge amount of priority ridding the tier and can also check pseudo ghost types. I am running the above set which is simple as it provides rocks, gives 8 turns of killing for Exca and blanket checks a lot of mons. I run a mix set for steel lure and many scizor are caught off-guard by it which is a huge help for Exca, i also tried running ice beam to get rid of lando or gliscor which have high usage as well. Also has Accelerock for that char y nail and a general priority.

Overall Sand does have some notable flaws in the meta as many of excadrill's counters have reliable recovery such as lando-t and Celesteela, bunch of mons getting beak blast definitely dent it's sweeping momentum and a lot of mons are capable of stalling out sand turns but Sand is definitely more powerful and potent to run as per my experience and spectating both as a dedicated and supported core as well as a separate addition to a random one.
You should be running Diamond Storm over Stone Edge always.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Look, I know how we all want to talk about Marshadow. I know that it'll probably be the primary topic of discussion for the next few days or so. In order to break up the monotony that will surely ensue as a result of this, I figured I would break up said monotony by sharing some unique ideas I've come up with. They may not be the best out there. They may not be the most reliable. They may not even be viable. But they're fun alternatives that one can use if they wanna shake things up a bit, while having small, albeit cool little niches that may attract some people.

nidoking.png

Nidoking (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Precipice Blades
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch/Fire Punch

In STABmons, Nidoking gets access to a very cool new toy: Gunk Shot. Reaching over 150 BP after Sheer Force, it's obviously quite a strong move in the king's
repertoire. Despite sacrificing power for speed with Choice Scarf, it can still 2HKO all Tangrowth variants, with a chance to OHKO AV, as well as being able to 2HKO physically defensive Rotom Wash! The rest of the moves in this set are self-explanatory. Precipice Blades is mandatory Ground STAB, Ice Punch breaks Chomp and Lando, and you can either choose TPunch for bulky waters or Fire Punch for Celesteela or Skarmory. While LO or Band is an option, Scarf is preferred for being able to outspeed and KO Koko and unboosted Silvally, among other things that would normally outspeed and weaken it.

rotom-frost.png

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Trick/Freeze-Dry

Rotom-Frost has one main niche over otherwise more viable Rotom forms: An incredibly juicy dual STAB BoltBeam combo. It is the only Pokemon in the game that can do this. Now that it learns Ice Beam and Freeze-Dry, it no longer has to rely on the inaccurate Blizzard for Ice STAB. Really, I don't need to explain this set, as everything is obvious. Scarf is the preferred item for similar reasons to Nidoking.

heliolisk.png

Heliolisk @ Flame Plate/Earth Plate
Ability: Solar Power
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Boomburst
- Judgment
- Filler

Looking for a fun, surprising new addition to your Sun team? Heliolisk is the Pokemon of choice! Unlike other sun exploiters, it can fair quite a bit better against Fire-type foes, thanks to a highly potent STAB, Solar Power boosted Boomburst! Thunderbolt is your secondary stab, blasting through most Flying and Water types with ease. The Judgement type you choose depends on what your team needs. In most situations, Flame Plate is better, allowing you hit many bulky Steel and Grass types incredibly hard once you factor in Sun boosting Fire moves and Solar Power. But if you really struggle against Heatran, and you just can't fit a good Ground type somewhere, you might wanna go for Earth Plate. The last move is pointless. I personally like to run Morning Sun to profit off of Sun while healing off Solar Power damage, but you can choose whatever you want.

forretress.png

Forretress (M) @ Rocky Helmet/Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Heal Order
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock/Sticky Web
- Sunsteel Strike/U-turn

Forretress already had quite a few things going for it pre-STABmons. Excellent defensive typing, the ability to set up hazards and remove them efficiently, pivoting with Volt Switch, etc. STABmons has given it some awesome options. Obviously, the biggest of these improvements is Heal Order. Forretress can now quickly heal back up whenever it gets too low! Except when you're outsped, which is often considering how slow it is Forretress in an impeccable candidate on Sticky Web-based teams, with it's great typing, bulk and Sturdy meaning it will almost always get up webs. If you don't like webs, you can always go for ol' reliable Stealth Rock. Rapid Spin can remove hazards against everything that isn't a Ghost. As for the last move, you can pick Sunsteel Strike for picking off weakened foes, or U-turn for pivoting. In my opinion, there are some cases where Forretress is actually better than Skarmory!

These are some cool Pokemon I think deserve more attention and discussion. I hope you take the time to try them out someday!

Last edited:

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
Look, I know how we all want to talk about Marshadow. I know that it'll probably be the primary topic of discussion for the next few days or so. In order to break up the monotony that will surely ensue as a result of this, I figured I would break up said monotony by sharing some unique ideas I've come up with. They may not be the best out there. They may not be the most reliable. They may not even be viable. But they're fun alternatives that one can use if they wanna shake things up a bit, while having small, albeit cool little niches that may attract some people.

View attachment 84727
Nidoking (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Precipice Blades
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch/Fire Punch

In STABmons, Nidoking gets access to a very cool new toy: Gunk Shot. Reaching over 150 BP after Sheer Force, it's obviously quite a strong move in the king's
repertoire. Despite sacrificing power for speed with Choice Scarf, it can still 2HKO all Tangrowth variants, with a chance to OHKO AV, as well as being able to 2HKO physically defensive Rotom Wash! The rest of the moves in this set are self-explanatory. Precipice Blades is mandatory Ground STAB, Ice Punch breaks Chomp and Lando, and you can either choose TPunch for bulky waters or Fire Punch for Celesteela or Skarmory. While LO or Band is an option, Scarf is preferred for being able to outspeed and KO Koko and unboosted Silvally, among other things that would normally outspeed and weaken it.

View attachment 84728
Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Trick/Freeze-Dry

Rotom-Frost has one main niche over otherwise more viable Rotom forms: An incredibly juicy dual STAB BoltBeam combo. It is the only Pokemon in the game that can do this. Now that it learns Ice Beam and Freeze-Dry, it no longer has to rely on the inaccurate Blizzard for Ice STAB. Really, I don't need to explain this set, as everything is obvious. Scarf is the preferred item for similar reasons to Nidoking.

View attachment 84729
Heliolisk @ Flame Plate/Earth Plate
Ability: Solar Power
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Boomburst
- Judgment
- Filler

Looking for a fun, surprising new addition to your Sun team? Heliolisk is the Pokemon of choice! Unlike other sun exploiters, it can fair quite a bit better against Fire-type foes, thanks to a highly potent STAB, Solar Power boosted Boomburst! Thunderbolt is your secondary stab, blasting through most Flying and Water types with ease. The Judgement type you choose depends on what your team needs. In most situations, Flame Plate is better, allowing you hit many bulky Steel and Grass types incredibly hard once you factor in Sun boosting Fire moves and Solar Power. But if you really struggle against Heatran, and you just can't fit a good Ground type somewhere, you might wanna go for Earth Plate. The last move is pointless. I personally like to run Morning Sun to profit off of Sun while healing off Solar Power damage, but you can choose whatever you want.

View attachment 84730
Forretress (M) @ Rocky Helmet/Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Heal Order
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock/Sticky Web
- Sunsteel Strike/Volt Switch

Forretress already had quite a few things going for it pre-STABmons. Excellent defensive typing, the ability to set up hazards and remove them efficiently, pivoting with Volt Switch, etc. STABmons has given it some awesome options. Obviously, the biggest of these improvements is Heal Order. Forretress can now quickly heal back up whenever it gets too low! Except when you're outsped, which is often considering how slow it is Forretress in an impeccable candidate on Sticky Web-based teams, with it's great typing, bulk and Sturdy meaning it will almost always get up webs. If you don't like webs, you can always go for ol' reliable Stealth Rock. Rapid Spin can remove hazards against everything that isn't a Ghost. As for the last move, you can pick Sunsteel Strike for picking off weakened foes, or Volt Switch for pivoting. In my opinion, there are some cases where Forretress is actually better than Skarmory!

These are some cool Pokemon I think deserve more attention and discussion. I hope you take the time to try them out someday!

for heliolisk id run earth plate and just run weather ball...since yknow, more coverage :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)