SM UU Simple Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will you ever retest the Houndoomite ban at a later date to see if banning it was truly the right decision?
It would most likely be at a point where the tier is more stable and less potentially problematic Pokemon like some of what got dropped from OU are figured out, as well as retesting the older bans on other BL Pokemon

so yeah, it could happen, but lets try and get the other shit done first before we do

How is Mega-Steelix in UU now that it has dropped? What does it usually run and what kind of teams does it fit on? Is it viable on sand?

Moutemoute

Error 404
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Steelix-Mega is a pretty nice check for some threat like Raikou, Latias..

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar / Toxic
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake

I'm not sure is viable in a sand team. I think Aerodactyl-Mega will be clearly better.

Darksafadao

best of the second options
Hi, I would like to give my thought on some mons. What would be the best thread to do this? And I also would like to share my teams and explain how they work, what would be the best thread to do this too?

If you want to talk about Pokemon you've had success using in UU, the np thread is right here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/np-sumo-uu-stage-2-countdown.3606088/.

If you want to post teams that you've had success using and potentially get evaluations from other users, the sample teams thread is here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sm-uu-sample-teams-thread.3591880/

Any other resource you might need is here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/underused-policy-resource-tournament-project-guide.3591789/

obviously, remember to read posting rules and such.

I was looking into trying UU and I wanted to try Zygarde-10%, but I couldn't find any information anywhere on what sets were commonly used with it. It appears to still be generally viable, so I was curious, what is the most common Zygarde-10% set?

I was looking into trying UU and I wanted to try Zygarde-10%, but I couldn't find any information anywhere on what sets were commonly used with it. It appears to still be generally viable, so I was curious, what is the most common Zygarde-10% set?
Zygarde-10% @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic

Probably this one is still the best. You can also try something with DD+ zmove, i think.

Last edited:
So the best ghost in the tier, (Jellicent according to the viability rankings), is not even UU by usage?
Viability doesn't always translate to high usage. Jellicent is a pretty good Pokémon, but so long as people don't use it all that often, it won't be uu. Hell, last gen Alomomola was a better water type than Vaporeon, which was garbage, yet mola was ru, and vaporeon was comfortably in uu.

Viability doesn't always translate to high usage. Jellicent is a pretty good Pokémon, but so long as people don't use it all that often, it won't be uu. Hell, last gen Alomomola was a better water type than Vaporeon, which was garbage, yet mola was ru, and vaporeon was comfortably in uu.
Exactly, though J-cent's usage in June and July might be higher due to it being on the rise.

How exactly does someone get on the rotating council? I'm not planning to be it on it since i'm not good lol. But just curious

How Is Mega-Sceptile now that it's dropped to UU? I see that it is B rank but otherwise I don't see much discussion on it.

How Is Mega-Sceptile now that it's dropped to UU? I see that it is B rank but otherwise I don't see much discussion on it.
Mega-Sceptile is a okay Mega imo. It's very fast and can serve as a emergency check to Latias. It also beats Mega Pert lacking rain and other bulky waters and grounds. Problem is that it's coverage in Dragon Pulse/HP Fire is somewhat lackluster and it's rather easily revenge killed due to it being very frail.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
I was planning on getting in to UU and was wondering what are some good Mega Pidgeot cores?

If you're using the standard Hurricane, U-Turn, Roost and Heat Wave Pidgeot then I would recommend you to use Flame Orb Conkeldurr with Facade, Mach Punch and Drain Punch and Scarf Krookodile with Stone Edge and Pursuit.

Basically Conkeldurr completely dominates Blissey and Empoleon which are two of the best counters to Pidgeot and Conkeldurr also appreciates the free switch in via U-Turn to activate Flame Orb. Krookodile can switch in on Electric types that semi wall Pidgeot and can even switch in on Mega Aerodactyl too with Stone Edge coverage and threaten to KO or Pursuit trap.

It's a pretty good offensive core although it lacks some key resistances to Fire, Water, Fairy and Dragon so you'll need some type of defensive synergy with the rest of the team.

And Bewear/Heracross can possibly replace Conkeldurr if you're planning to use it during the suspect test where Conkeldurr will be not allowed on the ladder.

Gastrodon is an amazing partner for Mega Pidgeot.

It checks important Mega Jesus's checks and counters by eating rock and electric moves while being neutral to ice: Mega Aerodactyl, Raikou, Empoleon
Its good mixed bulk (when physically defensive), Scald, Toxic, recovery, water immunity and only weakness to grass (which Mega Pidgeot resists) is great.
It also has other tricks in its movepool like Mirror Coat, etc, which can be good in some situations

I prefer

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
Relaxed Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Scald
- Earthquake

Earthquake > Earth Power because of CM Raikou and SpD Empoleon

With these two you lack a Blissey cleaner (which isn't hard to get) and a cleric to wipe out paralysis from M-Pidgeot and toxic from Gastrodon, as well as a solid ice counter (+ Latias)
Tp join these two I like physically defensive cleric Granbull with Fairium-Z (Play Rough / Heal Bell / Wish / Protect)
Intimidate is amazing and its weaknesses are covered by Gastrodon
You can switch in Mamoswine, Weavile, M-Aerodactyl, M-Swampert, Krookodile, well timed Latias, etc, and lower their attack while hitting hard enough with Play Rough
Twinkle Tackle is good as a nuke something in an emergency, but Leftovers can be used of course
You may want some Attack EVs to grab some 2HKOs and OHKOs

I prefer Mega Pidgeot with Hyper Beam as it great to OHKO things you may need to nuke quickly, like Xurkitree or to grab ocasional things like Raikou that switched in and is in KO range
IMHO it is better than U-Turn which provides only small chips
If you calculated the other team right they may not be able to OHKO you in the recharge turn as M-Pidgeot doesn't die to everything (although it isn't bulky of course)

Another different pokémon with great synergy is Lanturn, although in the current UU metagame it isn't the best
Lanturn eats electric and ice attacks while being neutral to rock providing great support with Scald, Thunder Wave/Discharge, Heal Bell and a slow STAB Volt Switch
The biggest flaw is the lack of recovery, the strength is the great water + electric + volt absorb typing defensively and offensively
It is very customisable with EVs going around HP, Def, SpA and SpDef, concentrating around what you need

Is swagger legal? If it is legal, then is SwagKeys (Klefki with Swagger/Foul Play/Thunder wave/Fairy move) viable or is it just a bad joke. I know swagger got nerfed due to 33% chance of confusion, as well as dark types being immune to prankster and thunder wave having 90% accuracy.

If that doesn't work out, what is Klefki's niche? Spikes?

Is swagger legal? If it is legal, then is SwagKeys (Klefki with Swagger/Foul Play/Thunder wave/Fairy move) viable or is it just a bad joke. I know swagger got nerfed due to 33% chance of confusion, as well as dark types being immune to prankster and thunder wave having 90% accuracy.

If that doesn't work out, what is Klefki's niche? Spikes?
Thanks to Prankster nerfs, Dark-types like Weavile and Krookodile can switch into Prankster moves aimed at them and not be affected, which combined with the nerfs you already mentioned makes SwagKeys not viable this gen. Klefki is the best user of Spikes in the tier though, and it can use dual screens too if you don't want to use Alola-tales for whatever reason.

Is there any use for trapinch, or (heaven forbid) Diglett in the tier? I understand it is probabaly worse than sub optimal, but I am curious as to whether trapping can have any purpose.

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Trapping is a potent and viable strategy, it even is key for some teams to be able to excecute their gameplan properly, weakening or straight up removing a threat from play. However, the most common trapping method in UU is Pursuit, which is, conceptually, far less reliable than an ability like Arena Trap that prevents the opponent from switching. Magnet Pull provides better odds versus Steel types but is very much restricted to those (Scizor and Empoleon being the most common targets). I very much understand the desire to explore a more effective trapping method but you have to keep in mind that Diglett and Trapinch will not necessarily carry their weight through all the games you play. Dedicating a single moveslot is one thing, but an entire team slot is another. Trapinch and Diglett provide nothing for teams outside the ability to trap, which isn't even reliable and restricted to few cases. They will never be able to perform as effectively as Dugtrio does in OU. For instance, the number of 'mons Diglett and Trapinch can trap is comparably small to the number of 'mons vulnerable to Pursuit, simply because most of them are not threatened by them enough, failing to OHKO their target before they get eliminated in return. This is not to say they are utterly unviable. Sash is unfortunately not a good option on either of these 'mons, leaving them too weak to actually threaten anything. Eject Button, however, might help you get in safely versus the likes of Empoleon and Xurkitree, which Diglett is able to OHKO with Tectonic Rage. Regarding Trapinch: I honestly think it's much too slow to successfully trap any relevant 'mon in UU but maybe a bulkier set with Eviolite + Rest can work? Don't get your hopes up too high though.

Oh, okay, maybe trapinch could have a use on trick room teams? Not much is going to underspeed base 10, and he has the same attack stat as dugtrio. Either way, thanks a for the answers, the concept of arena trap is very interesting to me. :)

Hey so when is the next tier shift likely to come out? Also, what is a good compliment to Maero and tail glow 3 attacks Xurkitree

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Hey so when is the next tier shift likely to come out? Also, what is a good compliment to Maero and tail glow 3 attacks Xurkitree
I heard it's early August. As for Mega Aero + TG Xurk... I'd say some VoltTurn support of some kind, like CB Scizor. Both do appreciate pivoting and imo for Xurk it's required. I'd also say a fast special mon like Latias. Finally, both hazard setting and hazard control (pls don't use defog latias), maybe Nidoking and Starmie, respectively.

EDITS SINCE I NEVER DOUBLE POST:
With all due respect, I don't like the way you discouraged the use of Defog Latias. Defog is actually a really useful move to have on Latias, and while not always super optimal on cm sets, it can definitely be fitted in and is also almost always used on Scarf and Support sets. With Defog, Latias is one of the tier's best hazard removers since it forces switches so easily, which can result in reliable removal. It's also just a bad idea to pair Starmie alongside Latias. Together, the two stack a serious weakness to Pursuit and to threats like Scarf Krookodile, Weavile, etc. and this isn't optimal considering the prevalence of these mons. Overall, Defog Latias is among one of the best removers in the tier, and I really don't know why you think that it shouldn't be used.
Admittedly, I haven't used it much myself but from what I found Defog Latias just had some nasty 4MSS. I usually run Dual STAB + CM + Recover on CM sets because I appreciate Latias's special bulk and ability to revenge slower threats, which often causes it to take SR damage. I've found that it's best to fit other hazard removers (not starmie tho) on the same team as it, or to not run hazard control at all which is what I othen end up doing.You are right in what can fit it though.
As for Starmie + Latias, I wasn't thinking about that when I posted. Yeah don't use bother on the same team. (i don't). should have made that clearer

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)