Resource Monotype SM Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who uses Ice quite a lot, I have to disagree with a lot of this. You pointed out a lot of its flaws yourself, with its absolutely horrible defensive typing and its awful Speed. As a tinier nitpick, Mega Abomasnow actually has 7 weaknesses, not 5, but on to the real point. Ice teams already have a good matchup against Water without Mega Abomasnow thanks to Alolan Ninetales, Kyurem-Black, and Lapras. In fact, 2 of the Pokemon listed are staple picks regardless, so why is Mega Abomasnow's usefulness in this matchup even relevant? The same can also apply to the Ground matchup. Here's what I found to be the worst part of your argument:

First of all, Iron Tail is awful coverage on Mega Abomasnow, and there is quite literally no reason to ever have it. Next, what was the point of bringing up Synthesis at all? It's directly counter-intuitive with hail, making you heal significantly less. As a hail setter, Alolan Ninetales has pretty much made every single other Snow Warning Pokemon obselete with its great Speed tier, part Fairy typing, and Aurora Veil in particular. And as mentioned before, Alolan Ninetales is already a staple pick on Ice team. Honestly, if you have a hail team, Ice's best bet is going with no mega at all, since both of its existing megas are lackluster at best.

Speaking of its megas, Mega Glalie actually possesses more desirable traits than Mega Abomasnow does. Its decent 100 Speed tier is appreciated, as well as having access to decent Spikes utility. Despite how Froslass is generally better as a Spiker, Mega Glalie has the offensive presence to force many things out in order to grant it setup opportunities, and can blow up with Explosion as a means of preventing Rapid Spinners/Defoggers. And yes, its Earthquake is weaker than Mega Abomasnow, but unlike Mega Abomasnow, it can actually outspeed and deal with some of the main threats that Earthquake is supposed to hit, specifically Heatran, Magnezone, and Alolan Marowak, all of which are capable of outspeeding and simply KOing Mega Abomasnow before it even gets the chance to attack. When comparing Mega Abomasnow to Mega Glalie, there is hardly any point in listing an example of a Pokemon that they both beat. What exactly was the point of bringing up Garchomp? All it proved is that both megas are capable of KOing a faster threat with a priority move, not showing at all how one would be better than the other.

As Eien said earlier in the thread, the VR is about relativity. Is Mega Abomasnow as good as the Pokemon in the B rank you nominated it for? Walrein and Rotom-Frost serve as Mega Scizor checks, which is undeniably important for Ice teams. Additionally, Walrein has access to Water STAB and the ability Thick Fat, essentially granting it a Fire resistance. Rotom-Frost has Will-O-Wisp utility as well as Volt Switch in order to generate momentum for Ice teams. And for Froslass, it offers a Fighting immunity, and great utility as a hazard lead with Spikes, Taunt, and Destiny Bond, making it a decent choice for hyper offensive teams. All of these Pokemon are much better than Mega Abomasnow, so it wouldn't make sense to put it in the same rank. As for the C rank Pokemon, Aurorus is yet another Snow Warning Pokemon that can also compress an essential role as a Stealth Rocker, while having access to decent utility in Encore and Thunder Wave as well as access to Rock STAB to aid in the Fire matchup. Cryogonal is a more specially defensive Rapid Spinner that also has some salvageable Knock Off utility. And I already went into detail before about how Mega Glalie is better than Mega Abomasnow. Overall, I'd say D rank is a much more appropriate place for Mega Abomasnow.
Well, I just said Iron Tail to point out it's versatility. Not that I would ever use it. Uhm...

But maybe I should've emphasized the point that it sets Hail too. Because chip damage is something a typing like Ice really appreciates.

And yes, Mega Glalie does have a good speed stat which would give him more offensive presence on a team, but it's not really versatile. Okay, it's got spikes to set up. But sets that are more creative than Return/Ice Shard/Explosion/Earthquake (or one of these Spikes) don't exist. Mega Glalie is completely predictable. Personally, I've seen that Explosion coming without having to think too much. A Protect later and you have ruined your mon. But that's situational.

Actually, I use Mega Abomasnow on my own team based on weather, and I really felt like it fit on my team, so I decided to stand up for it here when I saw it was unranked.

You're right about the types: I feel like an ass for overlooking Bug and Poison. I'm going to change that.

Reading your arguments made my fighting spirit fade slowly, and somehow my Abomasnow-fan-ness has given in to your "No B-tier" talk.

As I just mentioned, I play with a weather team, so maybe Mega Abomasnow is indeed better than Mega Glalie for my team. Somehow I started to think it would be better than Mega Glalie in general, which it might actually not be, correction; which it isn't. Mega Glalie fits the role of a Mega better in general, and once you get Mega Glalie, you won't be able to choose Mega Abomasnow. I still want to mention Mega Glalie's underwhelming non-STAB power. As it's a single type, it has just one STAB, which does hit hard as well as neutral as well as super effective, outside of that it doesn't really deal damage.
Also, having a Grass type on your team is always handy against Water.

You compare Aurorus and Cryogonal with it. But I don't think that these mon fill the same roles. While Mega Abomasnow goes farther than utility (partially because it lacks utility), the other mon have barely any offensive presence except for Freeze-dry against water teams if you like that. Mega Abomasnow sets Hail as a nice add, but I don't use it as my main hail setter because it can't carry Icy Rock (and I need that to start sweeping with my ace, Alolan Sandslash). I use it sometimes for that purpose when my main is down or something.

Let's see what these viability guys are gonna do...

The stuff about Synthesis: I was doubting about it because I knew it was affected by weather conditions, but I forgot it healed only 33% in Hail. So it's indeed crap. Forgive me. I'm just a pokémon fan, but I'm not that much of a Pokémon pro. But I still want to contribute to Smogon somehow, given how awesome this whole community is.

Gonna make a few nominations for Rock

Mega Tyranitar: Unranked=>B (Rock)

I noticed that Mega Tyranitar was still unranked on Rock, so I'll nominate it for B rank. Mega Tyranitar does nicely for Rock teams as a Dragon Dance sweeper with its fantastic 100/150/120 bulk and the further increased Special Defense offered by Sand Stream. Mega Tyranitar is also incredibly versatile, capable of choosing between a wide range of great coverage options such as Fire Punch, Earthquake, Ice Punch, and even Superpower. Here are a few calcs of Mega Tyranitar taking and dealing damage:

0 Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar-Mega: 132-156 (38.7 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO(bulky Mega Scizor can't easily come in and attempt to stop Mega Tyranitar's sweep if it's healthy enough)

+1 252 Atk Tyranitar-Mega Fire Punch vs. 248 HP / 48 Def Scizor-Mega: 420-496 (122.4 - 144.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 SpA Venusaur-Mega Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 110-132 (32.2 - 38.7%) -- 96% chance to 3HKO(from full health, it can reliably set up and proceed to threaten Mega Venusaur, as well as any potential switch-in on Poison)

+1 252 Atk Tyranitar-Mega Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 187-222 (51.3 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar-Mega: 133-157 (39 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO(when not carrying Dazzling Gleam, Mega Tyranitar can quite comfortably set up on Tapu Koko from full health and can threaten everything with Stone Edge+Earthquake)

+1 252 Atk Tyranitar-Mega Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-Wash: 201-237 (66.1 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery(the only Pokemon on Electric that can survive a boosted hit)

While its Speed tier of 71 doesn't seem too great even after a Dragon Dance, it is supplied with amazing Sticky Web support from Shuckle, which means its 397 Speed after a Dragon Dance will be outspeeding nearly every relevant Scarfer after Sticky Web, with the obvious exceptions of floating Scarfers like Landorus-Therian and Staraptor. Due to how regular Tyranitar can fill many great roles for Rock teams, and how Mega Aerodactyl is generally the better Mega Evolution thanks to its amazing Speed tier and part Flying typing, Mega Tyranitar seems most appropriate in B rank.

Here's what I think is Mega Tyranitar's current best set:
Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake / Fire Punch / Ice Punch / Superpower

Alolan Golem: B=>A (Rock)

Alolan Golem provides an incredible niche for Rock teams in being able to trap and remove important Steel types, specifically Mega Scizor. It's much more consistent at beating Mega Scizor in comparison to Rhyperior, since it can very easily U-turn out. However, after Sticky Web, Alolan Golem is capable of outspeeding and KOing Mega Scizor with Inferno Overdrive before it has a chance to U-turn out. Even in matchups outside of Steel, Alolan Golem can trap and remove Steel types in other matchups, some examples including Ferrothorn in the Grass matchup, Cobalion in the Fighting matchup(assuming it isn't carrying Volt Switch), and Klefki in the Fairy matchup. Here are some calcs demonstrating how well Alolan Golem can remove these Steel types:

192 SpA Golem-Alola Inferno Overdrive (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 212+ SpD Scizor-Mega: 328-388 (95.6 - 113.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

192 SpA Golem-Alola Inferno Overdrive (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 188 SpD Ferrothorn: 328-388 (93.1 - 110.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

192 SpA Golem-Alola Inferno Overdrive (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Klefki: 244-288 (76.7 - 90.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock(even if it gets up screens you will always beat it 1v1 with Earthquake)

192 SpA Golem-Alola Inferno Overdrive (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Cobalion: 284-336 (73.5 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

112+ Atk Golem-Alola Wild Charge vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 156-186 (47.7 - 56.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery(another example of an extra thing it can trap, which is especially helpful for teammates like Terrakion)

While Rhyperior is more broadly viable and can blanket check much more threats in the metagame, Alolan Golem's amazing niche in some of Rock's toughest matchups more than grants it a spot on A rank.

Here is Alolan Golem's current best set:
Golem-Alola @ Firium Z
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 112 Atk / 192 SpA / 204 Spe or 128 Atk / 136 SpA / 244 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Stone Edge
- Wild Charge
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Last edited:

I noticed that Mega Tyranitar was still unranked on Rock, so I'll nominate it for B rank. Mega Tyranitar does nicely for Rock teams as a Dragon Dance sweeper with its fantastic 100/150/120 bulk and the further increased Special Defense offered by Sand Stream. Mega Tyranitar is also incredibly versatile, capable of choosing between a wide range of great coverage options such as Fire Punch, Earthquake, Ice Punch, and even Superpower. Here are a few calcs of Mega Tyranitar taking and dealing damage:

0 Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar-Mega: 132-156 (38.7 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO(bulky Mega Scizor can't easily come in and attempt to stop Mega Tyranitar's sweep if it's healthy enough)

+1 252 Atk Tyranitar-Mega Fire Punch vs. 248 HP / 48 Def Scizor-Mega: 420-496 (122.4 - 144.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 SpA Venusaur-Mega Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 110-132 (32.2 - 38.7%) -- 96% chance to 3HKO(from full health, it can reliably set up and proceed to threaten Mega Venusaur, as well as any potential switch-in on Poison)

+1 252 Atk Tyranitar-Mega Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 187-222 (51.3 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar-Mega: 133-157 (39 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO(when not carrying Dazzling Gleam, Mega Tyranitar can quite comfortably set up on Tapu Koko from full health and can threaten everything with Stone Edge+Earthquake)

+1 252 Atk Tyranitar-Mega Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-Wash: 201-237 (66.1 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery(the only Pokemon on Electric that can survive a boosted hit)

While its Speed tier of 71 doesn't seem too great even after a Dragon Dance, it is supplied with amazing Sticky Web support from Shuckle, which means its 397 Speed after a Dragon Dance will be outspeeding nearly every relevant Scarfer after Sticky Web, with the obvious exceptions of floating Scarfers like Landorus-Therian and Staraptor. Due to how regular Tyranitar can fill many great roles for Rock teams, and how Mega Aerodactyl is generally the better Mega Evolution thanks to its amazing Speed tier and part Flying typing, Mega Tyranitar seems most appropriate in B rank.

Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance

Alolan Golem provides an incredible niche for Rock teams in being able to trap and remove important Steel types, specifically Mega Scizor. It's much more consistent at beating Mega Scizor in comparison to Rhyperior, since it can very easily U-turn out. However, after Sticky Web, Alolan Golem is capable of outspeeding and KOing Mega Scizor with Inferno Overdrive before it has a chance to U-turn out. Even in matchups outside of Steel, Alolan Golem can trap and remove Steel types in other matchups, some examples including Ferrothorn in the Grass matchup, Cobalion in the Fighting matchup(assuming it isn't carrying Volt Switch), and Klefki in the Fairy matchup. Here are some calcs demonstrating how well Alolan Golem can remove these Steel types:

72+ SpA Golem-Alola Inferno Overdrive (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 212+ SpD Scizor-Mega: 304-360 (88.6 - 104.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock(offensive sets will always be KOed)

72+ SpA Golem-Alola Inferno Overdrive (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 188 SpD Ferrothorn: 304-360 (86.3 - 102.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

72+ SpA Golem-Alola Inferno Overdrive (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Klefki: 226-268 (71 - 84.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO(even if it gets up screens you will always beat it 1v1 with Earthquake)

72+ SpA Golem-Alola Inferno Overdrive (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Cobalion: 264-312 (68.3 - 80.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

232 Atk Golem-Alola Wild Charge vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 156-186 (47.7 - 56.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery(another example of an extra thing it can trap, which is especially helpful for teammates like Terrakion)

While Rhyperior is more broadly viable and can blanket check much more threats in the metagame, Alolan Golem's amazing niche in some of Rock's toughest matchups more than grants it a spot on A rank.

Golem-Alola @ Firium Z
EVs: 232 Atk / 72 SpA / 204 Spe or 192 Atk / 72 SpA / 244 Spe
Rash Nature
- Stone Edge
- Wild Charge
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
While I do agree with your Alolan Golem nomination on Rock, your spreads are not optimal. You could achieve higher stats by using a Naughty nature and 112 Atk / 136 SpA / 204 Spe (which matches your first spread) with still 56 EVs remaining or 76 Atk / 136 SpA / 244 Spe (which matches your second spread) with still 52 EVs remaining.

Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance

72+ SpA Golem-Alola Inferno Overdrive (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 212+ SpD Scizor-Mega: 304-360 (88.6 - 104.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock(offensive sets will always be KOed)

72+ SpA Golem-Alola Inferno Overdrive (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 188 SpD Ferrothorn: 304-360 (86.3 - 102.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

72+ SpA Golem-Alola Inferno Overdrive (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Klefki: 226-268 (71 - 84.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO(even if it gets up screens you will always beat it 1v1 with Earthquake)

72+ SpA Golem-Alola Inferno Overdrive (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Cobalion: 264-312 (68.3 - 80.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

232 Atk Golem-Alola Wild Charge vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 156-186 (47.7 - 56.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery(another example of an extra thing it can trap, which is especially helpful for teammates like Terrakion)

Golem-Alola @ Firium Z
EVs: 232 Atk / 72 SpA / 204 Spe or 192 Atk / 72 SpA / 244 Spe
Rash Nature
- Stone Edge
- Wild Charge
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
I agree with your Mega Tyranitar nomination, and would go so far as to recommend it rising to A-rank for it's excellent sweeping potential and offensive and defensive presence.

But Golem-Alola is perfectly fine at B rank. It simply isn't broadly effective enough to warrant an A-ranking when outside of the Steel matchup it's pretty difficult to make good use of due to its bad defensive typing and low speed. Like you said, Alola Golem has a specific niche, but outside that niche its often dead weight and sparing it a teamslot can compromise your other matchups.

First off, I am new to the forums and have never done one of these before, so if I do something wrong or my set is not optimized, go easy on me.

Nidoqueen (Ground): Unranked -> C/D Rank
Nidoqueen @ Black Sludge
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic Spikes
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake

Nidoqueen, for me, has always been a great lead, giving me the option to set you stealth rock, toxic spikes, or both, and then to just spam dragon tail for maximum damage. I've found that it helps prevent rapid spinner switch-ins, as if you can predict it, you can dragon-tail them away on the switch in. The dragon tail switch also break the air balloon on pokemon like heatran, and earthquake can be used when taunted or when dragon tail gives you a savory match up. Its also been a great counter to pokemon that try to set up while I setup entry hazards. The constant stealth rock damage and high special defense pokes holes in bug teams, especially against pokemon like volcarona. Against teams that are not weak to stealth rock, use toxic spikes instead for more damage over time. Nidoqueen/Nidoking are the only toxic spike setters ground has, and nidoqueen is much better suited for it with its higher defences, giving it a nice, slightly unexpected niche. Also being partly poison, it can absorb toxic spikes as well, giving it another small niche (even though nidoking is equally viable here). Its poison point is useful while setting up to poison their first pokemon.

I've boosted its special defense as high as possible, since my team and ground pokemon in general lack strong special defensive walls. While Nidoqueen is no shuckle, it can take enough hits to fulfill its purpose. As a stealth rock setter, it is definitely outclassed, but I feel it deserves still deserves a rank.

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Celebi (Psychic) B --> C

Idk what this thing does. A Grass typing doesn't help it in a lot of ways since it is terrible, it's a very lackluster Pokémon that is just outclassed. Should you use it for Stealth Rock you will find Jirachi doing a better job at it. Nasty Plot + Z Move is outclassed by Mew, and takes up the z crystal slot. The only reason why I would probably use this Pokémon is if I really hated water, but other than that it should get dropped because of how situational it is.

Celebi (Psychic) B --> C

Idk what this thing does. A Grass typing doesn't help it in a lot of ways since it is terrible, it's a very lackluster Pokémon that is just outclassed. Should you use it for Stealth Rock you will find Jirachi doing a better job at it. Nasty Plot + Z Move is outclassed by Mew, and takes up the z crystal slot. The only reason why I would probably use this Pokémon is if I really hated water, but other than that it should get dropped because of how situational it is.
I personally agree with this, but I just wanted to point out Celebi is also really good vs Ground, resisting the Ground attacks that Jirachi and Victini do not like, and the ones Latios isn't immune to (ie Mold Breaker Excadrill). Psychic generally doesn't have too much of a problem with Ground considering Latios and Slowbro, but this is just another use for it.

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Dhelmise (Ghost) C --> B

I think this Pokemon belongs in the B rank because of its offensive presence and its ability to switch into some attacks for more offensively oriented Ghost teams, not to mention its alright offensive presence in itself. Dhelmise is able to switch into Electric ground and water type attacks, basically covering all terrain or weather based types for the offensive team. "Why not just use Gourgeist?" well, Gourgeist sacks momentum for offensive Ghost teams, and it should only be used on balanced / bulky offense ghost teams that need it to switch into shit for specs gengar. Dhelmise is more suited for the job, and it can clear away hazards like Sticky Webs or Stealth Rock, giving Scarf Gengar more viability. On Trick Room teams, this Pokemon can function as a abuser or a bulky pivot. Overall this Pokemon has its uses and I don't think it belongs in the C rank anymore and is more suited to be in the B rank for more niche picks such as Sash Golurk or Specs Hoopa. And plus its a good lure for steel types for our dear friend Alolan Marowak.

Mega Slowbro (Psychic) A --> B
Pretty much a repeat of Mega Gallade's situation last generation. When I think of Psychic Mega evolution, I think about Mega Gardevoir, Mega Gallade, or even Mega Alakazam. Mega Slowbro, is not a bad Pokémon, but it's oppurtunity cost is very high, as when there is like, 3 more better mega evolutions you can use on Psychic. Regular Slowbro preforms as well as, or maybe even better than Mega Slowbro does, soaking up hits. That to be said, Mega Slowbro is a very awkward Pokémon, and should be dropped.

Last edited:
After using quite a lot of ghost teams I quite strongly have to agree with the Dhelmise nomination. I in fact was going to write a nomination myself before seeing your post. It is a very good offensive pokemon and fits very well on Trick Room Ghost teams which is an ever present archetype on Ghost teams. Dhelmise also helps with 2 important matchups in Water and Ground which ghost teams can otherwise struggle with - I find banded excadrill just outrightly sweeps ghost on ground when sabeleye is weakened. I also very strongly agree with the argument that Gourgeist is a huge momentum drainer for Ghost and is a very passive mon. Given that Jellicent and other walls already have relatively little offensive presence, it puts more pressure on your offensive mons to be doing enough damage. However, Marowak can't always do that vs water teams so Dhelmise is a great addition to Ghost. It certainly at least deserves a B rank.

In addition I would like to make another nomination:

Cofragigus: C => B

Ever since Mega Lopunny has come out I have found Cofragigus has found a niche on Ghost teams to act as a strong check to Mega Lopunny and in general help vs the normal matchup with its access to Toxic Spikes. Cofragigus has an ability to be a huge annoyance with its very good bulk and is another Trick Room Setter which Ghost teams love. Due to its niche role vs Normal, an ever present type, and its ability to act suitable check to Lopunny I believe it deserves a B rank.

Dhelmise (Ghost) C --> B

I think this Pokemon belongs in the B rank because of its offensive presence and its ability to switch into some attacks for more offensively oriented Ghost teams, not to mention its alright offensive presence in itself. Dhelmise is able to switch into Electric ground and water type attacks, basically covering all terrain or weather based types for the offensive team. "Why not just use Gourgeist?" well, Gourgeist sacks momentum for offensive Ghost teams, and it should only be used on balanced / bulky offense ghost teams that need it to switch into shit for specs gengar. Dhelmise is more suited for the job, and it can clear away hazards like Sticky Webs or Stealth Rock, giving Scarf Gengar more viability. On Trick Room teams, this Pokemon can function as a abuser or a bulky pivot. Overall this Pokemon has its uses and I don't think it belongs in the C rank anymore and is more suited to be in the B rank for more niche picks such as Sash Golurk or Specs Hoopa. And plus its a good lure for steel types for our dear friend Alolan Marowak.

Mega Slowbro (Psychic) A --> B
Pretty much a repeat of Mega Gallade's situation last generation. When I think of Psychic Mega evolution, I think about Mega Gardevoir, Mega Gallade, or even Mega Alakazam. Mega Slowbro, is not a bad Pokémon, but it's oppurtunity cost is very high, as when there is like, 3 more better mega evolutions you can use on Psychic. Regular Slowbro preforms as well as, or maybe even better than Mega Slowbro does, soaking up hits. That to be said, Mega Slowbro is a very awkward Pokémon, and should be dropped.

Last edited:

mushamu

God jihyo
After using quite a lot of ghost teams I quite strongly have to agree with the Dhelmise nomination. I in fact was going to write a nomination myself before seeing your post. It is a very good offensive pokemon and fits very well on Trick Room Ghost teams which is an ever present archetype on Ghost teams. Dhelmise also helps with 2 important matchups in Water and Ground which ghost teams can otherwise struggle with - I find banded excadrill just outrightly sweeps ghost on ground when sabeleye is weakened. I also very strongly agree with the argument that Gourgeist is a huge momentum drainer for Ghost and is a very passive mon. Given that Jellicent and other walls already have relatively little offensive presence, it puts more pressure on your offensive mons to be doing enough damage. However, Marowak can't always do that vs water teams so Dhelmise is a great addition to Ghost. It certainly at least deserves a B rank.

In addition I would like to make another nomination:

Cofragigus: C => B

Ever since Mega Lopunny has come out I have found Cofragigus has found a niche on Ghost teams to act as a strong check to Mega Lopunny and in general help vs the normal matchup with its access to Toxic Spikes. Cofragigus has an ability to be a huge annoyance with its very good bulk and is another Trick Room Setter which Ghost teams love. Due to its niche role vs Normal, an ever present type, and its ability to act suitable check to Lopunny I believe it deserves a B rank.
I disagree with Cofagrigus rising. It isn't as good as Golurk and Hoopa and it's bad bulk and lack of recovery just seem to weigh it down a lot. Idt the relevance of Mega Lopunny is enough to have Cofagrigus appear to be on the same level as Golurk and Hoopa.

I disagree with Cofagrigus rising. It isn't as good as Golurk and Hoopa and it's bad bulk and lack of recovery just seem to weigh it down a lot. Idt the relevance of Mega Lopunny is enough to have Cofagrigus appear to be on the same level as Golurk and Hoopa.
While I do agree that Cofagrigus shouldn't be risen to B rank, and that Hoopa is generally better as an offensive TR setter, Cofagrigus's bulk is far from bad, and being able to set up easier against physical attackers can prove to be more beneficial in matchups such as Ground. It also doesn't suffer nearly as much from Knock Off with its pure Ghost typing and with it most of the time carrying a Z-move. Now for the points against Cofagrigus, Mega Lopunny is already checked by Mimikyu provided that it's Disguise is intact, as well as Scarf Gengar. And even after Cofagrigus takes the HJK/Return to the face, Hidden Power Fighting will at best put it within Gengar Sludge Wave range. At the very most it would get off a Trick Room and grant Alolan Marowak a safe switch in order to threaten any Pokemon on Normal with a Flare Blitz. As stated previously, Mega Lopunny's prevalence doesn't particularly warrant Cofagrigus's rise, since it doesn't check it very consistently. Ghost doesn't exactly need Cofagrigus's Toxic Spikes to threaten Normal all that much, since Mega Sableye and Jellicent can essentially handle the entire defensive core by themselves, and Scarf Gengar can revenge kill quite a few of their offensive threats such as Diggersby and Mega Lopunny. Overall, Cofagrigus is appropriate as it is in B rank.

And now for one of my own nominations:

Tentacruel: C=>B (Water)

Tentacruel has recently proven to be a solid option for balanced Water, being less passive than Toxapex while also compressing roles as both a Toxic Spiker and a hazard remover. It does a great job of easing the Grass matchup by switching into Mega Venusaur's Leech Seed without worry, slowly wearing it down simply by being on the field, as well as anything else that the Grass player would switch into. It can also function as an effective check to Choice Band Tapu Bulu and Breloom, which are major issues for Balanced Water teams. Overall, Tentacruel's solid niches in the Grass matchup as well as its effective role compression make it worthy of B rank on Water.

Here's Tentacruel's current best set:
Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 200 SpD / 60 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Bomb

Kev

Part of the journey is the end
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Gastrodon (Water): Unranked => B/A

Found it pretty weird that Gastrodon had absolutely no rank on Water. It provides a necessary Electric immunity and has decent bulk paired with great utility moves like Recover and Toxic. While it lacks Stealth Rock, it performs a great defensive core with Empoleon. It can put pressure on Electric-Types while having more longevity than Swampert because it has more reliable recovery. However, it's usefulness is not limited to taking on Electric-Types but is able to wall some big threats to Balanced Water teams. An example matchup would be the Dragon one where things like Kyurem-B and Latios can really pressure the team.

Here's a replay featuring Leru (who gave me the idea for this nomination) using it in said matchup:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-612798858

Here we can see that it was able to not only cripple Kyurem-B by poisoning it, but also easily walled out the opposing team late game. None of the Dragon-Types where able to break it and Latios was unable to render it useless by tricking the Choice Scarf thanks to Sticky Hold.

Overall, Gastrodon is a useful Pokemon for Water teams because of these factors: Good typing, decent bulk, access to reliable recovery and toxic and a useful ability (Sticky Hold). It has a lot of competition with things like Swampert, but it deserves to be at least B rank as it definitely outperforms many of the Pokemon currently listed as such.

Havens

WGI World Champion
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Buzzwole: A -> B (Fighting)

Buzzwole doesn't seem like the ideal mon to really use on Fighting right now. The Introduction of Mega Gallade gives Fighting a new edge in the 110 speed tier, and should/stay a staple on nearly every single Fighting team. Because of this, as well as Scarf Heracross becoming a more popular option, Buzzwole's purpose as an A tier mon is rather asinine. While it still is a very powerful wallbreaker paired with Fightinium Z or a Choice Scarf, the fact that it's best Fighting STAB in Superpower negates the Attack Raise it wants very much so hurts it. Scarf Heracross would be a better offensive presence and option due to it's better STAB in CC and Megahorn coupled with Moxie, and also acts as a better check to certain mons on Psychic, being all of the current Psychic Megas, Non-Boosted/Defensive Mew, Gothitelle, and Slowbro. Furthermore, Buzzwole's base 79 speed is relatively lackluster for fighting, considering the quick mons that the type has to offer in the form of Keldeo, Terrakion, and again Heracross, who serve better uses to the generally offensive style of many common fighting teams. As a result of the strict competition from Heracross, along with other factors, I highly recommend that Buzzwole move down to B rank.

Tyrantrum: C=>Unranked (Rock)

Tyrantrum's slightly redeemable niche as a Dragon Dancer is now entirely filled by Mega Tyranitar, who not only has better stats all around, but has a better secondary STAB to improve the Psychic and Ghost matchups. Its Dragon STAB hardly makes a difference in the Dragon matchup when all of Dragon's Scarfers outspeed and remove it after a single Dragon Dance, and it can't set up safely against anything. In fact, it could possibly even be argued that Mega Tyranitar does better in the Dragon matchup due to actually being able to survive hits from Scarf Latios and Hydreigon, while still being able to KO everything between Stone Edge, Crunch, and Ice Punch. Overall, Tyrantrum has literally no purpose on Rock teams, and deserves to be unranked.

Buzzwole: A -> B (Fighting)

Buzzwole doesn't seem like the ideal mon to really use on Fighting right now. The Introduction of Mega Gallade gives Fighting a new edge in the 110 speed tier, and should/stay a staple on nearly every single Fighting team. Because of this, as well as Scarf Heracross becoming a more popular option, Buzzwole's purpose as an A tier mon is rather asinine. While it still is a very powerful wallbreaker paired with Fightinium Z or a Choice Scarf, the fact that it's best Fighting STAB in Superpower negates the Attack Raise it wants very much so hurts it. Scarf Heracross would be a better offensive presence and option due to it's better STAB in CC and Megahorn coupled with Moxie, and also acts as a better check to certain mons on Psychic, being all of the current Psychic Megas, Non-Boosted/Defensive Mew, Gothitelle, and Slowbro. Furthermore, Buzzwole's base 79 speed is relatively lackluster for fighting, considering the quick mons that the type has to offer in the form of Keldeo, Terrakion, and again Heracross, who serve better uses to the generally offensive style of many common fighting teams. As a result of the strict competition from Heracross, along with other factors, I highly recommend that Buzzwole move down to B rank.
I have to disagree with this. Buzzwole is very useful on Fighting as it is able to check a wide variety of things thanks to its unmatched 107/139 physical bulk. Without it, things like Sand Rush Excadrill would sweep teams much more easier. You mentioned Scarf as a set, which is really bad on Buzzwole as it is a Pokémon NOT meant to do the same thing Heracross does. I'm not sure why Mega Gallade's introduction hurts its viability, as it's actually a very solid partner for Mega Gallade. Mega Gallade has the special bulk to take on things that Buzzwole cannot, and vice versa. Buzzwole functions as a bulky wallbreaker and physically defensive pivot, a role that no fighting type can perform nearly as well as it, so it only makes sense for it to remain A-ranked. Having a consistent switch in to Sand Rush Excadrill, Landorus-Therian, Mega Lopunny, Garchomp, and virtually any physical attacker without a super effective move, combined with an amazing movepool, solid typing, and reliable recovery means that it should stay A ranked on Fighting, as it fills an irreplaceable niche.

mushamu

God jihyo
Mega Lopunny (Normal) S --> A

I'm requesting this mon for a drop on normal because of how inferior it is to Chansey Staraptor and P2. yeah I get it rapes Ghost inside out but is it really that metagame defining? Chansey, P2, and Staraptor are all staples on the standard Normal build, while Mega Lopunny faces competition from Mega Pidgeot and it is possible to build a successful normal team without it. Because of all the recent drops (Tapu Bulu, Gengar, Mandibuzz, Tyranitar), I don't know why Mega Lopunny is S ranked or mandatory on a normal team any more than Mandibuzz and Tyranitar are mandatory on Dark, Gengar on Ghost, and Tapu Bulu on Fairy. Drop this please.

Mega Lopunny (Normal) S --> A

I'm requesting this mon for a drop on normal because of how inferior it is to Chansey Staraptor and P2. yeah I get it rapes Ghost inside out but is it really that metagame defining? Chansey, P2, and Staraptor are all staples on the standard Normal build, while Mega Lopunny faces competition from Mega Pidgeot and it is possible to build a successful normal team without it. Because of all the recent drops (Tapu Bulu, Gengar, Mandibuzz, Tyranitar), I don't know why Mega Lopunny is S ranked or mandatory on a normal team any more than Mandibuzz and Tyranitar are mandatory on Dark, Gengar on Ghost, and Tapu Bulu on Fairy. Drop this please.
In some situations, an S ranked Pokemon isn't really a staple. Take Bug for example, where Mega Pinsir is S ranked while Mega Scizor and Mega Heracross are in A rank. It's more than possible to make a viable Bug team without Mega Pinsir, but that doesn't change how much Mega Pinsir is THE best mega for offensive Bug teams, and how it proves to be a better asset in more matchups. Mega Lopunny's fantastic Speed tier and unresisted STAB combination with Scrappy just provides more than Mega Pidgeot does. Eien goes further into detail about it in this post, so maybe it'll make more sense there. For the most part it's summed up in this statement:

All things are relative. If Pokemon X is relatively worse than Pokemon Y, then Pokemon X should be in a lower viability tier.
So yeah, I'd say Mega Lopunny is appropriate where it is in S rank.

mushamu

God jihyo
In some situations, an S ranked Pokemon isn't really a staple. Take Bug for example, where Mega Pinsir is S ranked while Mega Scizor and Mega Heracross are in A rank. It's more than possible to make a viable Bug team without Mega Pinsir, but that doesn't change how much Mega Pinsir is THE best mega for offensive Bug teams, and how it proves to be a better asset in more matchups. Mega Lopunny's fantastic Speed tier and unresisted STAB combination with Scrappy just provides more than Mega Pidgeot does. Eien goes further into detail about it in this post, so maybe it'll make more sense there. For the most part it's summed up in this statement:

So yeah, I'd say Mega Lopunny is appropriate where it is in S rank.
We could use Mega Lopunny in this example.

"Tapu Bulu (Fairy): I find it very hard to put Tapu Bulu on the same level as literally three of the biggest threats in the metagame: Z-Belly Drum Azumarill behind screens, Tapu Koko, and Magearna. Tapu Bulu feels much more reasonable in the same ranking as Clefable, as supporters that enable those three to be as powerful and effective as they are. That isn't to say Tapu Bulu is bad; we shifted many Pokemon down a tiering in order to make it possible for Tapu Bulu to move down. In the end, the question was is it as good as the other S ranks, and we found Tapu Bulu wanting."

I think we can use Mega Lopunny in this example. Question is, is or was it as good as the other S ranks? Even if it is the best Mega Evolution, it does have its flaws such as being unable to break very bulky Pokemon like Gourgeist, Mega Venusaur, or Skarmory. It relies on the defensive core in order to take hits from fast scarfers such as Gengar, Keldeo, and Terrakion, and basically all it does is chip and revenge kill slower threats.

"All things are relative. If Pokemon X is relatively worse than Pokemon Y, then Pokemon X should be in a lower viability tier."

Is Mega Lopunny really as good as Chansey, Porygon 2 or Staraptor?

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Here's VR update post Magearna ban along with preliminary ranks for new Megas
Bug
Armaldo A--->S
Dark
Bisharp B--->A
Dragon
Mega Altaria Unranked--->S
Mega Latias Unranked--->A
Mega Garchomp B--->C
Flygon D--->Unranked
Electric
Mega Ampharos Unranked--->D
Fairy
Mega Diancie Unranked--->S
Magearna S--->Unranked
Flying
Mega Aerodactyl B--->C
Ghost
Chandelure C--->D
Mega Banette D--->Unranked
Sableye D--->Unranked
Grass
Roserade D--->Unranked
Normal
Mega Pidgeot A--->B
Meloetta A--->B
Bewear B--->C
Smeargle B--->C
Snorlax B--->C
Heliolisk C--->D
Mega Audino C--->D
Miltank C--->D
Swellow C--->D
Dodrio D--->Unranked
Drampa D--->Unranked
Psychic
Mega Latias Unranked--->A
Mega Gallade S--->A
Mega Alakazam A--->B
Mega Slowbro A--->B
Azelf B--->C
Celebi B--->C
Cresselia C--->Unranked
Rock
Mega Diancie Unranked--->S
Mega Aerodactyl A--->B
Steel
Magearna S--->Unranked
Mega Scizor A--->S
Bisharp B--->A
Scizor D--->Unranked
Water
Gastrodon Unranked--->B
Manaphy A--->B
Mega Slowbro A--->B
Cloyster B--->C
Slowbro B--->C
Feraligatr C--->D
Starmie C--->D
Tentacruel C--->D
Araquanid D--->Unranked
Sharpedo D--->Unranked

Hello, everyone! New to the forums here, and in general, new to the discussion of any kind of Pokemon Meta. I'm particularly enthusiastic about the idea Monotype, so here I am eager to contribute and discuss in this post. Disclaimer: I'm no expert, so do take it easy on me; I'd like to learn the idea of what makes a Mono-team strong. So teach me, gently, as we go along.

Glaceon (Ice): Unranked=>D Rank
As a pure Ice Type, Glaceon faces a lot competition from others, having relatively limited uses thanks to its shallow move pool and contradictory stat distribution. I assume that most Ice teams will want to run Hail, so Glaceon's biggest selling point is its humongous 130 Special Attack, providing one of Ice Type's most powerful Blizzards. While this may sound solid, Glaceon gets a lot worse the more you think about it. Without Hail, Glaceon can still dish respectable damage with a powerful Ice Beam/Frost Breath, but it doesn't get good coverage from there. It can notably use Shadowball to provide some neutral coverage against other Types while also threatening opposing Psychic/Ghost Types. Unfortunately, the likes of Froslass and Weavile will do this job a lot better. Offensively speaking, Glaceon's only real strength is its powerful special attacks. But even then, it struggles to provide offensive value because of its middling speed. As far as support/utility goes, this is where Glaceon can start to fill some niches that other Ice Types can't. Unless I'm mistaken, Glaceon is the only Ice Type that has access to Wish. With its slow speed, Glaceon can provide a slow Wish-Pass, allowing for a relatively safe switch-in for a weakened ally to be healed. Glaceon is also capable of providing cleric support through Heal Bell, allowing it to re-enable Ice Type's designated sweepers. That being said, it will be very hard to get full value out of Glaceon's utilities since Glaceon itself is easily worn down. Its low speed makes it a sitting duck, and with only a base 65 HP to work with, it might even get KO'd before it gets the chance to do a Wish-Pass. Moreover, Ice teams are implied to set an Aurora Veil then use brute force to power through the opposition. This means that Wish-Pass won't be as valuable as the Paralysis/Burn support provided by Froslass/Rotom-Fridge. Of course, Glaceon can somewhat provide speed control with Icy Wind, but Alolan Ninetales can do a better job at that on top of its Encore/Aurora Veil. Let's also not forget Articuno's Tailwind too. However, in some cases, Glaceon can be a really good revenge sweeper if the opposition has been weakened enough, or if your Ice team manages to take control of the speed situation. Glaceon's insane Blizzard can potentially give you some neutral KO's, but getting the best out of Glaceon's limited assets may prove to be too much effort for little payoff.

Set Sample:
Move 1: Blizzard/Ice Beam
Move 2: Heal Bell/Protect
Move 3: Baton Pass
Move 4: Wish
EV's: 252 HP, 252 Sp. Att., 4 Sp. Def.
Nature: Modest
Item: Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Ice Body

The idea here is to put as much value on HP in order to get the most out of Wish. Glaceon's decent 110/95 defensive stats will help it survive especially when hiding behind Aurora Veil. Life Orb helps Glaceon score neutral OHKO's or 2HKO's, taking advantage of Ice Body easing the recoil. No Life Orb will make it more difficult, but Glaceon's natural power can still punch holes while Leftovers + Ice Body help Glaceon stay alive and Wish-Pass more often. Protect is good for scouting while safely receiving Wish for self-healing, or go with Heal Bell if you feel your teammates need it more. Glaceon can do this more consistently if a disruptive teammate like Froslass or Rotom can provide some breathing room with Paralysis/Burns. Overall, solid with extra support, but difficult if Glaceon is the only one doing the supporting.

Last edited:

Kev

Part of the journey is the end
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hello, everyone! New to the forums here, and in general, new to the discussion of any kind of Pokemon Meta. I'm particularly enthusiastic about the idea Monotype, so here I am eager to contribute and discuss in this post. Disclaimer: I'm no expert, so do take it easy on me; I'd like to learn the idea of what makes a Mono-team strong. So teach me, gently, as we go along.

Glaceon (Ice): Unranked=>D Rank
As a pure Ice Type, Glaceon faces a lot competition from others, having relatively limited uses thanks to its shallow move pool and contradictory stat distribution. I assume that most Ice teams will want to run Hail, so Glaceon's biggest selling point is its humongous 130 Special Attack, providing one of Ice Type's most powerful Blizzards. While this may sound solid, Glaceon gets a lot worse the more you think about it. Without Hail, Glaceon can still dish respectable damage with a powerful Ice Beam/Frost Breath, but it doesn't get good coverage from there. It can notably use Shadowball to provide some neutral coverage against other Types while also threatening opposing Psychic/Ghost Types. Unfortunately, the likes of Froslass and Weavile will do this job a lot better. Offensively speaking, Glaceon's only real strength is its powerful special attacks. But even then, it struggles to provide offensive value because of its middling speed. As far as support/utility goes, this is where Glaceon can start to fill some niches that other Ice Types can't. Unless I'm mistaken, Glaceon is the only Ice Type that has access to Wish. With its slow speed, Glaceon can provide a slow Wish-Pass, allowing for a relatively safe switch-in for a weakened ally to be healed. Glaceon is also capable of providing cleric support through Heal Bell, allowing it to re-enable Ice Type's designated sweepers. That being said, it will be very hard to get full value out of Glaceon's utilities since Glaceon itself is easily worn down. Its low speed makes it a sitting duck, and with only a base 65 HP to work with, it might even get KO'd before it gets the chance to do a Wish-Pass. Moreover, Ice teams are implied to set an Aurora Veil then use brute force to power through the opposition. This means that Wish-Pass won't be as valuable as the Paralysis/Burn support provided by Froslass/Rotom-Fridge. Of course, Glaceon can somewhat provide speed control with Icy Wind, but Alolan Ninetales can do a better job at that on top of its Encore/Aurora Veil. Let's also not forget Articuno's Tailwind too. However, in some cases, Glaceon can be a really good revenge sweeper if the opposition has been weakened enough, or if your Ice team manages to take control of the speed situation. Glaceon's insane Blizzard can potentially give you some neutral KO's, but getting the best out of Glaceon's limited assets may prove to be too much effort for little payoff.

Set Sample:
Move 1: Blizzard/Ice Beam
Move 2: Heal Bell/Protect
Move 3: Baton Pass
Move 4: Wish
EV's: 252 HP, 252 Sp. Att., 4 Sp. Def.
Nature: Modest
Item: Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Ice Body

The idea here is to put as much value on HP in order to get the most out of Wish. Glaceon's decent 110/95 defensive stats will help it survive especially when hiding behind Aurora Veil. Life Orb helps Glaceon score neutral OHKO's or 2HKO's, taking advantage of Ice Body easing the recoil. No Life Orb will make it more difficult, but Glaceon's natural power can still punch holes while Leftovers + Ice Body help Glaceon stay alive and Wish-Pass more often. Protect is good for scouting while safely receiving Wish for self-healing, or go with Heal Bell if you feel your teammates need it more. Glaceon can do this more consistently if a disruptive teammate like Froslass or Rotom can provide some breathing room with Paralysis/Burns. Overall, solid with extra support, but difficult if Glaceon is the only one doing the supporting.
Hey, welcome to the forums and I'm glad you are finding an interest in Monotype!

If I remember correctly, Glaceon was actually recently dropped to Unranked because frankly it's too much of a gimmick that is too reliant on a simple possibility of dodging a move in Hail through Ice Body. It is just very mediocre compared to the other staples of Ice teams. Also, Baton Pass is banned in Monotype.

Happy to see that you are very ready to learn, that's a good attitude. I'd recommend you get a good look at all the great resources we have on the forums: Beginner's Guide, Sample Teams, VR, Sets VR, Good Cores, Bulding workshops and Pokemon analysis's on the Smogon Dex. These will help you get a better grasp on the meta.

Hey, welcome to the forums and I'm glad you are finding an interest in Monotype!

If I remember correctly, Glaceon was actually recently dropped to Unranked because frankly it's too much of a gimmick that is too reliant on a simple possibility of dodging a move in Hail through Ice Body. It is just very mediocre compared to the other staples of Ice teams. Also, Baton Pass is banned in Monotype.

Happy to see that you are very ready to learn, that's a good attitude. I'd recommend you get a good look at all the great resources we have on the forums: Beginner's Guide, Sample Teams, VR, Sets VR, Good Cores, Bulding workshops and Pokemon analysis's on the Smogon Dex. These will help you get a better grasp on the meta.
Thanks for the thoughtful criticism.

I did not know that Baton Pass was banned from Monotype; I only read the banned Pokemon, but somehow missed the banned moves, so that's my bad.

It's too bad Glaceon is considered Unranked. I was hoping that its sheer power and Wish tech is enough to earn a serious thought. Then again, my post was very honest and very clear as to why Wish is not that valuable when compared to speed control and disruption, and of course, the all-purpose Aurora Veil from Ninetales. Glaceon lacking Freeze-Dry also means it is outclassed by Lapras as a designated Special sweeper, not to mention that Lapras' Typing allows it to comfortably switch in on Fire Type moves.

Well, insight is insight. I'll see if there are other sets for other Pokemon out there that I can contribute and promote. Let's continue to work together!

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Thanks for the thoughtful criticism.

I did not know that Baton Pass was banned from Monotype; I only read the banned Pokemon, but somehow missed the banned moves, so that's my bad.

It's too bad Glaceon is considered Unranked. I was hoping that its sheer power and Wish tech is enough to earn a serious thought. Then again, my post was very honest and very clear as to why Wish is not that valuable when compared to speed control and disruption, and of course, the all-purpose Aurora Veil from Ninetales. Glaceon lacking Freeze-Dry also means it is outclassed by Lapras as a designated Special sweeper, not to mention that Lapras' Typing allows it to comfortably switch in on Fire Type moves.

Well, insight is insight. I'll see if there are other sets for other Pokemon out there that I can contribute and promote. Let's continue to work together!
Your interest in Monotype and eagerness to get involved is great, but I would recommend learning the metagame a little more thoroughly before trying to contribute to this thread. The viability rankings are intended to help newer players understand which pokemon work well and which ones don't. It requires a good overall understanding of the meta to productively contribute here. Instead, if you find an unusual set or uncommon pokemon you want to share, I'd recommend the creative and underrated sets thread.

But don't let me discourage you from posting! If you're really confident that you know what you're talking about, then there's nothing wrong with making a suggestion here. Just make sure you've done sufficient testing and understand the type and its weaknesses before posting in the VR.

Dugtrio-Alola Unrank-->D for steel.

I feel a-Duggy is over looked and should grab some attention. Only one reason why I believe this mon should be rank is because of the scarf set. Duggy helps you from losing to +1 char x and volc which pretty much auto wins if your scarfer is exca, sash been broken on skar, or air balloon tran has been plop. You still have that Ground+steel stab but exca does have a lot in one package removal+mold breaker+ Better Electric resist. That's why I believe D is the highest Duggy should go. Overall Duggy just helps with that char+volc match up.

Last edited:

mushamu

God jihyo
gonna do something controversial here

Xurkitree (Electric) A --> B

We have the S ranked Pokémon, and then we get our pick out of the 2 A ranked Pokémon for the final slot on Eoectric teams. Out of the 2 A ranked Electric Pokémon, Magnezone is just so much better than Xurkitree, because of its ability to trap Steel type Pokémon such as Excadrill and Ferrothorn, 2 very problematic Pokémon for Electric teams to break past. Xurkitree's role as a wallbreaker does not mean much when it's dead weight against Grass and Poison, two of Electrics worst matchups. It's bulk doesn't compliment it either, being very frail and open to opposing scarfers and priority, making it easy to be revenge killed. Magnezone now offers a ton against fairy, arguably the best type in the current metagame, and Xurkitree is easily killed by Diancie if it is not carrying a scarf and by Tapu Bulu even if it is. Xurkitree as a scarfer cannot afford to be locked into a single move, and as a wallbreaker its low defenses and shallow speed is easily exploited and revenge killed. It's shallow coverage holds it back, and it just cannot compare to what Magnezone can do.

Raikou (Electric) B --> C

Similar to Xurkitree, Raikou isn't very good in this current metagame compared to the Pokémon it is ranked alongside as, Thunderous. Electric is a type that is full of special wallbreakers, and Raikou just doesn't have a place on Electric teams anymore due to the abundance of wallbreakers. CM + Sub sounds good on paper, until you get slammed by Choice Scarf users, and priority users. Raikou is also dead weight in many matchups, such as Poison and Grass, and should be moved down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)