OMPL V: Discussion Thread

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
As we all know, the most exciting part of any Premier League is not the high-level matches or the sweet innovations. No, it's the callout posts, truly the highest form of human communication. This OMPL, we've seen a plethora of witty one-liners, scathing rants, and beatifully crafted memes, greatly enriching the Other Metagames Premier League experience for everyone involved. So now, with OMPL V drawing at last to a close, I'm proud to present...

TOP 5 CALLOUT POSTS OF OMPL V

Honorable Mentions
Ashamed to not make this list

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
Would someone mind explaining why 1v1 wasn't in OMPL despite being part of Other Metas?

Edit: tegrof stop spamming likes I fucking hate it

Last edited:

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
It's a luck based meta.
Is there any meta that is not influenced by luck?

I mean, 1v1 is really match-up dependent and mostly it is about prediction in team preview, I would call that "Match-up dependent" or "Prediction-reliant".
Simply saying "It's a luck based meta" doesn't really answer my question nor is a good way to say something about meta.

what is your very esteemed opinion of bh?
Most likely Soundproof

Fardin

Tournament Banned
Is there any meta that is not influenced by luck?

I mean, 1v1 is really match-up dependent and mostly it is about prediction in team preview, I would call that "Match-up dependent" or "Prediction-reliant".
Simply saying "It's a luck based meta" doesn't really answer my question nor is a good way to say something about meta.
let me repharse. its a bit more luck based than other metas.
e. even if u got an excellent team, the game will almost always come down to the mu. wont have much to do with how u play

Would someone mind explaining why 1v1 wasn't in OMPL despite being part of Other Metas?

Edit: tegrof stop spamming likes I fucking hate it
There's a couple of reasons. First, 1v1 is undeniably more luck reliant than basically any other metagame; the only one that really comes close is monotype with matchup. Secondly, we already had 6 metagames, so we would want another metagame alongside 1v1, which we don't have many candidates for. It also hadn't been there is previous years so there wasn't tradition backing its inclusion.

This isn't to say it's impossible for 1v1 to be in OMPL next year, though.

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
There's a couple of reasons. First, 1v1 is undeniably more luck reliant than basically any other metagame; the only one that really comes close is monotype with matchup. Secondly, we already had 6 metagames, so we would want another metagame alongside 1v1, which we don't have many candidates for. It also hadn't been there is previous years so there wasn't tradition backing its inclusion.

This isn't to say it's impossible for 1v1 to be in OMPL next year, though.
Why do we have to have an even number of metas? An odd number would arguably make more sense bc no ties

DEG

The night belongs to you
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where 1v1 will not be judged by people saying its a luck based metagame, but by the its content and how great it is.

Why do we have to have an even number of metas? An odd number would arguably make more sense bc no ties
Ties creates more THRILL and makes it a THRILLING tournament.

true enough, at that point it came down to a 50/50, but its one that im fairly confident i would have won. Mew was the one thing preventing magearna and malt from sweeping, so I highly doubt leru would have risked staying in when 99/100 times bish carries knock. I really dont care that you think its a bad set tbh, I prefer knock too but pursuit was the easiest way to ensure that i didnt get bodied by wak without changing the balance of my team. Of course leru could have definitely made a super ballsy play and gone for the wow on sharp, in which case i probs woulda lost and kudos to him for making a sweet play, but all im saying is that the wow miss wasnt hax in ur favour and that if anything it helped you, as you avoided a probably game determining 50/50. (Also, you dissing the pursuit sharp set just further proved my point that I doubt leru woulda expected the pursuit cos knock is almost always the set). Finally, stop messaging me saying that you dont believe I was pursuit, I find that quite dumb. Thats like me saying, I dont believe you were spectral mew just because u didnt reveal it. If u werent then there is no reason u woulda got so mad about the crit (sorry about that crit again btw) and by that logic there is also no reason I woulda been so adamant that the wow miss helped u more than me. The reason why i was pursuit, was because 1 hour before the match I realised that alolan wak completely walls boltbeam mag, espeed malt, and qd celebi, so mzard reccomended making bisharp pursuit. At the end of the day, all this is irrelevant as wow DID miss, and I did get game winning hax in the form of an ice beam crit, for which i have apologised several times, such is the nature of bo1's, perhaps you guys shoulda accepted my bo3 offer then ;P
-rant over

Reactions: Ren

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)