Resource PU Simple Question, Simple Answers Thread

The only place where Toucannon can operate efficiently is on Sticky Webs, and even then, it faces a lot of competition from the Pokemon you mentioned. In my opinion, it doesn't really have a solid use over those Pokemon, even with its coverage, although it does have a niche with Webs support.
I mean I guess it gets Z-mirror move for +2 att which is something but theres so many better options for a Z-move.

I apologize I must have misread. Either way, the only passable Z Mirror Move user I have seen has been Murkrow, since it gets priority on it through Prankster, better Speed, Dark-type STAB, and Sucker Punch.
Yeah I agree, I was just suggesting it as what kinda set Tucannon could run but I wasn't actually to serious.

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
How do you guys feel the three S rank mons from ORAS PU (Rotom-F, Muk and Stoutland) stack up in today's meta?
Ironically, they arent as good anymore. Rotom-F for example struggles vs things like Lanturn and Piloswine which are super relevant. I dont think the meta favors Muk at all. It's too passive and setup is rather difficult. On top of that, the addition of new Ground and Steel-types such as Piloswine, Quagsire, Palossand, Mudsdale, Feroseed and Probopass(Not new but still) doesn't help it's case. Stoutland is the only mon in my opinion, that has merit because its one of the few Normal-Types that can actually beat Sabelye, and it has good wallbreaking prowess in general.

Last edited:

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
How do you guys feel the three S rank mons from ORAS PU (Rotom-F, Muk and Stoutland) stack up in today's meta?
I'll go through each Pokemon individually:

Rotom-F: Rotom-F is still solid, however it faces much less usage in the tier for several reasons. First, the large presence of Fighting- and Fire-types in the tier make it difficult for it to thrive in the metagame. In particular, Piloswine, Lanturn, Hariyama and AV Magmortar can switch into its Ice-type STAB pretty easily. Additionally, it faces competition from both Ice-types, such as Jynx and Vanilluxe, as well as by Electric-types such as Oricorio-Pom Pom and Electivire.

Muk: Muk has really fallen from favor in the new metagame, especially with new Poison-types such as Skuntank being extremely prevalant. It did see some usage as a Vivillon answer, however since Vivillon has been banned it's lost its main usage. As TJ mentioned as well, it's tough to deal with the Ground- and Steel-types in the tier.

Stoutland: Stoutland, while still being good, isn't really up to par with its usage in ORAS. For starters, the introduction of new Normal-types such as Kangaskhan and the reintroduction of Tauros give it competition for its role, although it does have a better matchup against Sableye. In addition, Sand usage seems to be pretty lackluster, although it could see some more usage, especially with Sandslash, Alolan Dugtrio, and Lycanroc.

What's the best guts Hariyama set rn?
Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Facade
- Fake Out / Heavy Slam / Bullet Punch

Close Combat is the main STAB, Knock Off hits Dark and Psychic types, Facade is just a strong attack in general, Fake Out guarantees the Flame Orb will activate while Heavy Slam lets you 2HKO Sableye and Togetic. Bullet Punch can be used if you need priority, but I find it too weak personally. You could run more bulk and less Speed, but I find the extra speed more useful. You can put pretty much anything you want in the final slot.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What's the best guts Hariyama set rn?
Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Facade
- Fake Out / Heavy Slam / Bullet Punch

Close Combat is the main STAB, Knock Off hits Dark and Psychic types, Facade is just a strong attack in general, Fake Out guarantees the Flame Orb will activate while Heavy Slam lets you 2HKO Sableye and Togetic. Bullet Punch can be used if you need priority, but I find it too weak personally. You could run more bulk and less Speed, but I find the extra speed more useful. You can put pretty much anything you want in the final slot.
Highly disagree here, Knock Off is actually not Yama's best coverage move. I was pretty skeptical at first too, but Anty turned me onto the CC/Facade/Heavy Slam/Bullet Punch set which just has way better neutral coverage because Facade and Heavy Slam already 1-2hko pretty much all the Ghost and Psychic types (only weaker vs SuperGeist which is still gonna wall you). Either way I'd definitely go for Bullet Punch over Fake Out here as well, Fake Out is only good when it's AV dual priority because you essentially get 80BP priority but on a Guts set stalling turns really only cripples yourself more.

Is running max speed on a Modest Guzzlord viable?
Max speed on modest Guzzlord is viable because there isn't much to creep in the speed tier. Without max speed you risk the tie with adamant crabominable. You also get to creep stuff like max speed Carracosta and neutral Camerupt two mons who have been seeing a rise in usage as of late. Outpacing zero speed base 70's such as Poliwrath and the rare Vibrava is neat as well.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Is running max speed on a Modest Guzzlord viable?
As the guy that (probably) gave you the idea, I prefer max speed investment for the surprise factor and better late-game cleaning potential. It's probably a better idea to just creep Granbull or whatever and dump the rest into SpDef, however. (I assume this is for the Specs set cuz AssVest is, well, ass).

E: Sniped

As the guy that (probably) gave you the idea, I prefer max speed investment for the surprise factor and better late-game cleaning potential. It's probably a better idea to just creep Granbull or whatever and dump the rest into SpDef, however. (I assume this is for the Specs set cuz AssVest is, well, ass).

E: Sniped
As a matter of fact it was your post that made me even think about this.

I assume rocks, tspikes, and a spinblocker with types that synergize with each other kinda. Weezing as a physical check, miltank as a special one. Seems decent enough to me honestly, but I haven't tried it personally.

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
I assume rocks, tspikes, and a spinblocker with types that synergize with each other kinda. Weezing as a physical check, miltank as a special one. Seems decent enough to me honestly, but I haven't tried it personally.
Sabelye would be better here tho

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)