Resource DOU Effective Cores

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
qsns, mind if you explain the ev spread of ur cm fini? I am trying to find out the optimal spread for this set.

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Protect

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt
- Protect

My go-to for fast, reliable damage. Only scarfers can outspeed+ko koko, so it's very easy to land a few tbolts. Kyube has amazing coverage and beats lando and zygarde and steels for koko, while eterrain boosted fusion bolt just shreds bulky waters and physically frail mons like lele and hoopa. Nothing short of a draco or high roll lele moonblast will ohko kyube, so you once again have a strong matchup vs slower mons but can still survive and retaliate against the faster ones. Not sure on naive vs hasty vs timid, each misses out on some fairly relevant calcs.

252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-Black: 368-434 (94.1 - 110.9%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-Black: 338-402 (86.4 - 102.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
4 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 248 HP / 64 Def Charizard-Mega-Y: 338-400 (94.1 - 111.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
4 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 359-424 (88.8 - 104.9%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

"Tail Room" Sun + Psychic Spam core

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 100 HP / 160 Def / 172 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Tailwind
- Protect

Tapu Lele @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 48 HP / 96 Def / 252 SpA / 112 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Protect

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 180 HP / 104 Atk / 96 Def / 32 SpA / 96 Spe
Brave Nature
- Hyperspace Hole
- Hyperspace Fury
- Trick Room
- Protect

This is a core that I developed due to the recent popularity of AzuRachi (+ Mence) and Bronzong teams. So this is how the core basically works:

vs
or

Send out Zard and Lele. Zard OHKO Jirachi first, allowing Tapu Lele to target Mence/Azumarill. Both mons survives Double-Edge from Mence, so don't worry about taking hits. In the case that another terrain setter comes in for Azumarill, don't worry; Tapu Lele can take a hit in the Sun. The core may get some damage, but the outcome should always be victory.

vs

Whenever you see a Zong, there is 4/5 chance that the opponent will send out Kang + Zong first, so send out Hoopa and Lele. All-Out Pummeling OHKO Kang and Hyperspace Fury OHKO Zong. The result is 2 mons eliminated for free or free hits anyways since Kang + Zong must switch to survive.

vs
or

What if one of these guys switch into Zard? Have Tapu Lele use All-Out Pummeling on them. Guaranteed OHKO unless they have Chople Berry.

vs

Let Hoopa-U use Trick Room so that Lele can attack freely in the next turn. (Hoopa-U has great special bulk). In the case of Zard, just set up Sun so that Lele can eliminate the target.

What makes this core more fearsome is its access to "Tail Room". If you have the chance, just set up Tailwind or Trick Room, and after 3 or more turns of rampage, just set up the vice versa and continue on with the rampage. Having Hoopa really guarantees the kills.

Last edited:
+

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 20 HP / 168 SpA / 68 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Protect

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 SpA / 224 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Explosion

This core is super cool and I used it for a significant amount of my DLT laddering. Genesect parters well with Gengar, removing threats such as Landorus, Tapu Lele, Hoopa, and Zygarde while also allowing you to pivot into teammates that can beat your opponent's trapped Pokemon. The sheer amount of momentum this core provides is insane, and it readily dismantles the relatively slower, bulkier teams that I've been seeing a lot of lately. The sets are pretty self explanatory, but I really like Explosion on Genesect. It deals crazy damage with a Download boost, partners well with Gengar's Normal immunity, and allows you to grab a ton of momentum (as if you didn't have enough already). Also they have the same color scheme and look super aesthetically pleasing at team preview.

s/o to Matame for giving me the original idea!

Last edited:
+

Regigas + Not Really Mew

Going to be completely honest- this is more of a gimmick. That being said, it is an interesting concept I thought I'd share with you all. If you can build a viable team around it let me know.

Regigigas @ Leftovers
Ability: Slow Start
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Return
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

Mew @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Transform
- Psychic
- Tailwind
- Worry Seed

The idea is to use worry seed on Regigigas to remove Slow Start, effectively making a good, moderately fast attacker. Mew also has access to TW (which is very common atm), Psychic to cover Regigigas's one weakness, and if there is nothing better for Mew to do, Transform. I used Transform because I felt that since worry seed is a one time gimmick it might be pulling down the entire set, making Mew dead weight if Reggie gets KO'd. If you don't like this idea you can always run T-Wave, Will-o-wisp, Ice Beam, or even make Mew a TR setter and change both Mew and Reggie's EVs and IVs to reflect that.

EDIT: If you run TR Mew you might as well not use this set up because Slow Start aids Reggie in TR speed wise, and there are better TR cores.

You can also try this set with Slaking, since Truant is also a hindrance that can be removed by worry seed. Worry seed is also great to just anger an opponent who has a pokemon that tries to shut your team down with sleep (Amoongus, Coil Milotic, or Z-TR Bronzong)

And if you don't want to use Mew at all, you can always do this with Whimsicott since it has Worry Seed + Prankster, but then you lose out on the bulk Mew gets and Transform.

Last edited:

I made a random team that was supposed to be built around TTar+Fini, but all I found out was that these two really work well together.
This seems gimmicky, but I've seen these 2 used in a different team on the ladder as well (I don't remember who, but it was a DLT alt).

Tapu Fini is, well, Tapu Fini. Sets up Calm Mind then spam Muddy Water and Moonblast.

Victini is amazing at removing threats to Fini with its broken Physical Fire move like Amoonguss, Ferrothorn, Bulu, tears down Rachis, and dents Bulky Seismic Tossers that Fini dislikes.

Bolt Strike helps with those Bulky Waters that Fini needs to get through, and Glaciate is there for speed control.

Additionally, Victini's versatile movesets make it possible to be used in several different situations. Scarf Final Gambit, A-Vest, LO (personally the one I used, so I'll be a bit biased towards it), etc.

252 Atk Victini V-create vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 280-331 (99.6 - 117.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Amoonguss: 440-522 (101.8 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 168 Def Jirachi: 416-492 (102.9 - 121.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Kangaskhan-Mega: 246-289 (59.4 - 69.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 399-472 (103.9 - 122.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Victini Bolt Strike vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 221-263 (64.4 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Victini Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Milotic: 283-335 (71.8 - 85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Aerilate Salamence-Mega Double-Edge vs. 36 HP / 0 Def Victini: 255-301 (72.8 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Metagross-Mega Earthquake vs. 36 HP / 0 Def Victini: 238-280 (68 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Victini: 146-172 (41.7 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Victini in Electric Terrain: 153-183 (43.7 - 52.2%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Gengar-Mega Shadow Ball vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Victini: 216-254 (61.7 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 36 HP / 0 Def Victini: 302-356 (86.2 - 101.7%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

There are probably better EVs for AV Victini, but I'm just trying to illustrate a point.

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Kangaroos™

This is my SM twist on "Bunnies." In this core, Mew is a bulky Tailwind setter that Transforms into a second Kang once Tailwind is up. Getting to Seismic Toss a target four times in one turn at +2 speed is really fun.

By no means is Mew dead weight untransformed, either. I run Ice Beam and Earth Power, ev'd to ohko non-vest Landos and 0/4 non-Shuca Trans respectively. Mew also has a diverse enough movepool that it's really "choose your own adventure" depending on what coverage your team needs.

And by no means is this a one-trick pony core that relies on Kang; Transform is also neat for punishing an opp's setup, cloning your own sweeper, or just becoming whatever mon gives you the most momentum in the heat of that moment :)
Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Seismic Toss
- Crunch

Mew @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 184 SpA / 72 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Tailwind
- Transform

There are no shortage of ways you can add your own twist to this core, too. Trick Room > Tailwind is an option on Mew, and in general you can use whatever sets suit your playstyle best.

I'm too lazy to compile a collection of replays, but I did use it in a DLT match with some success.

GenOne

is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Am I jumping the gun on calling this the new THALK? Yeah, probably. But I swear, this core works with almost any sixth just like THALK did - when I want to test new/unexplored mons I usually find my self adding them to this core then modifying the team as needed.

THALK NEUE

EVs: 104 HP / 152 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Seismic Toss
- Rock Tomb

Tapu Fini @ Mago Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 152 SpA / 32 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Zapdos @ Misty Seed
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 36 SpA / 32 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Tailwind
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Groundium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- Protect
Mega Kangaskhan
Any Kang set works here. I gravitate towards max speed Jolly Kang with enough Atk to ohko Lele, since it sometimes packs Fightium Z for Kang. Rock Tomb + max speed beats Charizard, and in general works as efficient speed control against weather abusers, Dragon Dancers, etc. Style points if you self-Rock Tomb a mon in anticipation of TR ;)

Tapu Fini
I still use qsns's Fini spread, but as long as you ev to outspeed stuff in Tailwind you're on the right track. I also like Mago Berry > Leftovers, since Fini is bulky enough to pull it off and the recovery somehow feels more reliable/useful to me.

Zapdos
Zapdos is literally the set qsns posted.

Heatran
Heatran runs a pretty standard set, Shuca Berry seems like the best item rn. I generally like Stealth Rocks as my third to buff up sun matchups, but use w/e you like in that slot.

Landorus-T
Landorus-T with Groundium Z is seriously great, especially when you have Tailwind support; having access to a strong single-target Ground move finally lets Lando make use of its stab and high base Atk without fear of EQ'ing your own mons.

Sixth Slot
Go wild! Try things out. I swear anything that isn't absolute trash will find a way to put in work with this core.

e: Zygarde > Landorus-T is also an option

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Am I jumping the gun on calling this the new THALK? Yeah, probably. But I swear, this core works with almost any sixth just like THALK did - when I want to test new/unexplored mons I usually find my self adding them to this core then modifying the team as needed.

THALK NEUE

EVs: 104 HP / 152 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Seismic Toss
- Rock Tomb

Tapu Fini @ Mago Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 152 SpA / 32 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Zapdos @ Misty Seed
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 36 SpA / 32 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Tailwind
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Groundium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- Protect
Mega Kangaskhan
Any Kang set works here. I gravitate towards max speed Jolly Kang with enough Atk to ohko Lele, since it sometimes packs Fightium Z for Kang. Rock Tomb + max speed beats Charizard, and in general works as efficient speed control against weather abusers, Dragon Dancers, etc. Style points if you self-Rock Tomb a mon in anticipation of TR ;)

Tapu Fini
I still use qsns's Fini spread, but as long as you ev to outspeed stuff in Tailwind you're on the right track. I also like Mago Berry > Leftovers, since Fini is bulky enough to pull it off and the recovery somehow feels more reliable/useful to me.

Zapdos
Zapdos is literally the set qsns posted.

Heatran
Heatran runs a pretty standard set, Shuca Berry seems like the best item rn. I generally like Stealth Rocks as my third to buff up sun matchups, but use w/e you like in that slot.

Landorus-T
Landorus-T with Groundium Z is seriously great, especially when you have Tailwind support; having access to a strong single-target Ground move finally lets Lando make use of its stab and high base Atk without fear of EQ'ing your own mons.

Sixth Slot
Go wild! Try things out. I swear anything that isn't absolute trash will find a way to put in work with this core.

e: Zygarde > Landorus-T is also an option
honestly you can simplify that to Kang / Fini / Zap / Steel-type / Ground-type / filler, and even the Ground can be swapped out sometimes

Kang Fini Zap is just so good

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 32 HP / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 SpA / 220 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
- Explosion

The heatran/genesect core from last gen is still really good this one, with genesect being able to bop salamence and scarf lele now too. Heatran is obviously great. You can run shuca hp ice, but with scarf ice beams flying around I dont think its necessary.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 232 HP / 76 Def / 92 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Tailwind
- Protect

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- U-turn
- Bolt Strike
- Final Gambit

A neat core which uses the sun to boost victinis bolt strike and sun to boost v create. Hp ice on koko snipes all of these non scarf landos and heat wave doesnt miss next to victini which is lovely.

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
gene terrak.png
Heres a great core that I have used on a couple teams. Terrakion is making a comeback due to Kang's domination. Even if Kang is banned Terrakion has some very nice match ups, notably Zapdos+Fini. With a fast and strong partner, such as Genesect, Zap+Fini will actually be forced to switch out; something very hard to do. Poison Jab to me now seems like a required 3rd move.

Terrakion's major weakness are LandoT, Zygrade, and Psychic Spam which Genesect will cover. Terrakion's benefit to Genesect is most notability beating Heatran, Volcarona, and CharY.
You can also choose to use a physical Genesect so long as your team is not already heavy in physical attackers.
I like to round this core out with some strong steel check, a Fire for sure and Dark type as well. You'll also want to have a check for bulky waters, and a some ground resist/immune.

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- depends on what team requires
- Flash Cannon, Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Energy Ball, Dark Pulse

The terrakion set is alright, even though Id probably go stone edge because it does nearly as much as a super effective poison jab. But that genesect set is some sort of eyesore. Essentially, genesect is going to get the download boost to be physical 80% of the time because the meta is so special tilted right now. Plus a powerful u turn is a big draw to having genesect be effective when his coverage moves arent appropriate. This is the set I have been using on my most successful SM team:

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 SpA / 224 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower (Explosion or t bolt are good too)

A max speed set with flamethrower could be cool for the mirror i guess, but ive yet to actually have a mirror because genesect isnt exactly common. Minus defense because that fairy and psychic resist is actually pretty clutch. This set outspeeds scarf lele and maxes out attack, which, again i think is better than special because:

+1 252 Atk Genesect Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 470-554 (167.2 - 197.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Genesect Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Lele: 218-260 (77.5 - 92.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Download is a really kickass ability, and going physical lets you make the most of it. Ice beam is enough of a deterrant to intimidate. Anyway, Im happy someone else is using genesect, because I think it is a lot better than he gets credit for right now. Easily going to be a tier 2 threat once people wise up, and has a ton of good matchups.

I can't believe nobody has posted this yet wow

+

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Wood Hammer
- Stone Edge / Horn Leech
- Superpower / Horn Leech
- Nature's Madness

Bronzong @ Psychium Z
Ability: Heatproof
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Hypnosis
- Trick Room
- Protect / Safeguard

These two have fantastic synergy on so many levels. Grassy Terrain alleviates Bronzong's Ground weakness but also cancels opposing Electric and Fairy Terrains. This allows Bronzong to set Trick Room more reliably and then spam Hypnosis with no fear. Meanwhile Tapu Bulu benefits from Bronzong's reliable speed control and ability to check the occasional Ice-type attacker. This core has been featured in multiple successful teams, most notably miltankmilk's Week 7 SPL team, which was also used by MajorBowman in Week 9 (it won both times). All in all it's one of the most defining cores in the meta that every team needs to be prepared for.

Last edited:

GenOne

I can't believe nobody has posted this yet wow

+

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
Brave Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Stone Edge / Horn Leech
- Superpower / Horn Leech
- Nature's Madness

Bronzong @ Psychium Z
Ability: Heatproof
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Hypnosis
- Trick Room
- Protect / Safeguard

Tapu Bulu is to Bronzong as syrup is to pancakes. Bad analogies aside, these two have fantastic synergy on so many levels. Grassy Terrain alleviates Bronzong's Ground weakness but also cancels opposing Electric and Fairy Terrains. This allows Bronzong to set Trick Room more reliably and then spam Hypnosis with no fear. Meanwhile Tapu Bulu benefits from Bronzong's reliable speed control and ability to check the occasional Ice-type attacker. This core has been featured in multiple successful teams, most notably miltankmilk's Week 7 SPL team, which was also used by MajorBowman in Week 9 (it won both times). All in all it's one of the most defining cores in the meta that every team needs to be prepared for.
Yh this should've been posted a while ago. Just wondering though, why's Safeguard slashed on the Zong set? Isn't that counterproductive to its Hypnospam goals?

Yh this should've been posted a while ago. Just wondering though, why's Safeguard slashed on the Zong set? Isn't that counterproductive to its Hypnospam goals?
Safeguard only protects your side from status conditions, not the opponent's as well. Safeguard Bronzong works well on teams that lack checks to Amoonguss or opposing Bronzong.

GenOne

Safeguard only protects your side from status conditions, not the opponent's as well. Safeguard Bronzong works well on teams that lack checks to Amoonguss or opposing Bronzong.
Omg...yh disregard that comment then. I just need to git gud :s

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Substitute
- Zen Headbutt
- Protect

+

Milotic @ Maranga Berry
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Icy Wind
- Scald
- Recover
- Protect

While milotic can sometimes not provide much to a team, and can drain momentum, i found it to be good with metagross because it's quite good against most of its checks and counters. it beats both fire and ground for metagross , and scares off intimidate pokemon , namely landorus-therian and potentially salamence. icy wind makes metagross relatively medium speed tier better, as it becomes faster than most threats and scald helps out in reducing damage. in return megametagross takes out some threats like tapu bulu, and the sub set benefits from the support milotic gives.

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Substitute
- Zen Headbutt
- Protect

+

Milotic @ Maranga Berry
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Icy Wind
- Scald
- Recover
- Protect

While milotic can sometimes not provide much to a team, and can drain momentum, i found it to be good with metagross because it's quite good against most of its checks and counters. it beats both fire and ground for metagross , and scares off intimidate pokemon , namely landorus-therian and potentially salamence. icy wind makes metagross relatively medium speed tier better, as it becomes faster than most threats and scald helps out in reducing damage. in return megametagross takes out some threats like tapu bulu, and the sub set benefits from the support milotic gives.
Excellent, I like this core very much. I can extend this idea to Battle Spot Doubles as well. I will use this in the future

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 76 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 104 Atk / 212 SpA / 192 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt / Explosion / Flamethrower
- U-turn
- Iron Head

Genesect beats all of Mega Venusaur's threats including Kyurem-B, Psychic Spam, Mega Gardevoir, and Mega Salamence. 104 ATK OHKO Tapu Lele and 212 SpA OHKOs Zygarde without the need of its ability Download while 192 Spe is just enough to outspeed Scarfed Landorus-T with Jolly Nature. Flamethrower is just there for Ferrothorn, really, but if you already have a Ferrothorn check in the team, Explosion or Thunderbolt is fine. Once Genesect gets rid of Mega Venusuar's threats, Mega Venusuaur can stall out the rest of the opponent's team. These duo are particularly great against Mega Diancie, Tapus, Rain, and even Celesteela~ basically all the popular archetypes at the moment.

Not to be rude, but some of the cores seem to be outdated, either by bans or just not as good as players once thought.

Last edited:
you're not being rude im just extremely lazy and haven't updated this in forever lol. will work on this tomorrow/monday and ill add some stuff that i've seen work myself. thank you for the submission :)

Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower / Thunderbolt / Explosion
- U-turn
- Iron Head

Genesect beats all of Mega Venusaur's threats including Kyurem-B, Psychic Spam, Mega Gardevoir, and Mega Salamence. 104 ATK OHKO Tapu Lele and 212 SpA OHKOs Zygarde without the need of its ability Download while 192 Spe is just enough to outspeed Scarfed Landorus-T with Jolly Nature. Flamethrower is just there for Ferrothorn, really, but if you already have a Ferrothorn check in the team, Explosion or Thunderbolt is fine. Once Genesect gets rid of Mega Venusuar's threats, Mega Venusuaur can stall out the rest of the opponent's team. These duo are particularly great against Mega Diancie, Tapus, Rain, and even Celesteela~ basically all the popular archetypes at the moment.

Not to be rude, but some of the cores seem to be outdated, either by bans or just not as good as players once thought.
The core is fine but honestly flamethrower is non-slashable on genesect since you can probs use heatran to better effect if you arent hurting ferro with your steel type, which most venu archetypes need this gen.
Also genesect kinda needs to outspeed scarf lele otherwise venu is getting dunked.

A couple of cores from me:

Mega Diancie + Marshadow: marshadow clears steel types for diancie to clean up. While diancie breaks down some of the harder mons for marshadow to beat like mence and zapdos. Pack rain checks.

Diancie @ Diancite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect

Marshadow @ Marshadium Z
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak
- Protect

Marshadow + Scarf Lele: very good anti tr lead. The idea is lele outspeeds marsh to clear tr support like amoong, scrafty etc. and leaves marshadow to nuke the setter with whatever coverage its needs. You cant fake out either of them too. Other than that, lele beats down fast stuff like mence, koko and scarf lando while marsh knocks steels

Marshadow @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak
- Protect

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Dazzling Gleam

Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt / Explosion / Flamethrower
- U-turn
- Iron Head

What are the EVs on Venu for? What defensive benchmarks does it hit? And what Speed tier is hit hitting with this?

What are the EVs on Venu for? What defensive benchmarks does it hit? And what Speed tier is hit hitting with this?
252+ SpA Life Orb Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 252 HP / 76+ SpD Venusaur-Mega: 307-361 (84.3 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
96 Spe allows regular Venusaur to outspeed Deo-A in TW or take an advantage of Sun.
Rest dumped into DEF.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)