Rules Forum Rules and Simple Questions/Answers

Yeah I'm going to keep it. If my math (and the confusion formula I found) is correct, for level 70 it's 21.92 vs 19.66 damage of 24 Atk vs 0 Atk. I don't know what/if it gets rounded to, but I can deal with a few points of damage for ranked BSS.
If I'm not mistaken, most if not everything in Pokemon rounds down, so yeah, only a few points of damage difference.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is 24 too high of a Attack stat for Zapdos? I've soft reset a HP Ice Bold one but not sure if I should keep it. I'm not sure how common confusion is in BSS, but I've played a dozen or so games on PS and haven't seen it once.
You'll be fine. Confusion got nerfed so hard you won't see it from competent players, just get out of the low ladder. Low attack IVs on special attackers is only super relevant for ghosts / psychics because of Foul Play. For anything else I say settle and save the time you'd spend breeding / soft-resetting for actually battling.

You'll be fine. Confusion got nerfed so hard you won't see it from competent players, just get out of the low ladder. Low attack IVs on special attackers is only super relevant for ghosts / psychics because of Foul Play. For anything else I say settle and save the time you'd spend breeding / soft-resetting for actually battling.
Do you know what it was nerfed to, just so I know? 40 BP typeless 33%? What I was reading said it used to be a 40 BP typeless move based on confused mon's Atk vs Def and 50% to hit self.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Do you know what it was nerfed to, just so I know? 40 BP typeless 33%? What I was reading said it used to be a 40 BP typeless move based on confused mon's Atk vs Def and 50% to hit self.
yeah it's just the chance of confusion damage that got nerfed, the power is still the same as far as I know. I don't think the rate has been confirmed but it's either 1/3, 3/10, or 33/100.

I have this Greninja at the moment but I just learned Gunk Shot is physical. Should I go Naive and put the 4 points into Atk? Also is Ice Beam/Grass Knot too redundant? I'm liking the Scarf Ice Beam into all the Dragon types running around, and with the Tapus and other Fairys there seems to be enough reason to run Gunk Shot.

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

I have this Greninja at the moment but I just learned Gunk Shot is physical. Should I go Naive and put the 4 points into Atk? Also is Ice Beam/Grass Knot too redundant? I'm liking the Scarf Ice Beam into all the Dragon types running around, and with the Tapus and other Fairys there seems to be enough reason to run Gunk Shot.

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
For the Gunk Shot question, i say do Naive with 4 atk evs, since that extra power is decent, and the bulk lost from Naive isnt that big of a deal since Greninja is already very frail to begin with.

Hi again, I'm interested in Adamant Mamoswine sets. It looks like the Smogon Dex hasn't been updated since pre-Bank and I'm not sure where else to look.

Also I'm very interested in trying a Cloyster out. Thoughts on Adamant or Jolly?

Hi again, I'm interested in Adamant Mamoswine sets. It looks like the Smogon Dex hasn't been updated since pre-Bank and I'm not sure where else to look.

Also I'm very interested in trying a Cloyster out. Thoughts on Adamant or Jolly?
Adamant Mamoswine has plenty of options for sets, a few of them being Assault Vest, Life Orb, and Focus Sash. (I personally prefer Jolly Mamo since it can outspeed Jolly Breloom, but there's nothing wrong with adamant).

Mamoswine @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Rock Tomb / Fissure

EQ and Icicle Spear are for STAB, Ice Shard for priority, and Rock Tomb hits Charizard and Volcarona. Fiisure on the other hand lets Mamo be able to break through bulkier mons such as Porygon2 and Ferrothron.

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash / Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock / Rock Tomb / Fissure

These sets are similar to the first, except with Stealth Rocks as a 4th moveslot, since it can be nice to break sashes and punish Charizard and Volcarona switch-ins

As for Cloyster a Jolly nature lets you outspeed Adamant 252 speed Mega-Salamence after a Dragon Dance and Max speed Charizard and Volcarona after a boost, which Adamant can't do, so if you use Adamant Cloyster you'll need to keep that in mind. (I personally prefer Jolly over Adamant, since it's nice to be able to outspeed and KO the mons I mentioned)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Would HP Poison on Greninja in place of Gunk Shot be viable at all?
The only things you want a Poison move for are Fini, Azumarill, and Primarina. Gunk Shot is so much better because it can actually OHKO these things (well not Fini but it does significantly more) so you don't get hit really hard back. Greninja is so frail that you need to be able to kill things, not 2HKO them.
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Hidden Power Poison vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Fini: 94-112 (53.4 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 4 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 112-135 (63.6 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • offensive Fini can be OHKOed but those are less common than the bulky sets
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Hidden Power Poison vs. 228 HP / 12 SpD Azumarill: 135-164 (66.1 - 80.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery
  • 4 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 228 HP / 12 Def Azumarill: 203-242 (99.5 - 118.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Hidden Power Poison vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Primarina: 101-120 (54 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 4 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Primarina: 218-260 (116.5 - 139%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Missing sucks but it doesn't happen super often so it's much better than HP Poison. Plus then you can run HP Fire on the same set which is even better.

The only things you want a Poison move for are Fini, Azumarill, and Primarina. Gunk Shot is so much better because it can actually OHKO these things (well not Fini but it does significantly more) so you don't get hit really hard back. Greninja is so frail that you need to be able to kill things, not 2HKO them.
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Hidden Power Poison vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Fini: 94-112 (53.4 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 4 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 112-135 (63.6 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • offensive Fini can be OHKOed but those are less common than the bulky sets
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Hidden Power Poison vs. 228 HP / 12 SpD Azumarill: 135-164 (66.1 - 80.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery
  • 4 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 228 HP / 12 Def Azumarill: 203-242 (99.5 - 118.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Hidden Power Poison vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Primarina: 101-120 (54 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 4 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Primarina: 218-260 (116.5 - 139%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Missing sucks but it doesn't happen super often so it's much better than HP Poison. Plus then you can run HP Fire on the same set which is even better.
Thanks!! Makes perfect sense.

So.... I'm new to this competitive scene and I could really use your help! There are so many Pokemon to choose from and some are better than others (I know), but I'm keen on playing with the ones I like. I'm a huge fan of Pelipper and Parasect and I'd love to have a BSS team with them.

So here's my team so far:
I just need suggestions on how to continue this team.

I start with Pelipper and Drizzle, then use Parasect as my tank.

Pelipper @ Drizzle/ Focus sash
-Hurricane
-Hydro Pump
-Tailwind
-U-Turn

Parasect @ Dry Skin/ Leftovers
-Swords Dance
-Leech Life
-Leech Seed
-Spore

-----------------------------------------

Please help!

Before I breed one, is Jolly Mega-Metagross standard? Also, how important is Ice Punch, since it's Gen 6 only (for now).

Before I breed one, is Jolly Mega-Metagross standard? Also, how important is Ice Punch, since it's Gen 6 only (for now).
Jolly and Ice Punch are both standard. Ice punch is really good, it's actually the most common move ran on metagross. So if you have access to oras tutors i'd definitely go for that

Considering Jolly Nature is run on 85% of MegaGross this Battle Spot season, that should speak loads in terms of it being "standard".

Ice Punch is pretty staple on Mega Meta for a few reasons. You can bop Lando-T, Garchomp, MegaMence, D.nite, and Gliscor (which are all extremely to mildly common threats mind you) all usually for either an OHKO or some very heavy damage, because of that x4 weakness plus the Tough Claws boost.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
you'll also want iron head (way better than meteor mash imo) and thunder punch (fantastic for charizard y, gyarados, celesteela, and skarmory) if you're getting oras tutors

Odd question I wanna ask for my friend, for a Pokemon that is essentially never ever used on the ladder.

I gave the fella a shiny Toxic Boost Zangoose and the dude is going ham over wanting to use it on the Rating Battle ladder.

Figured on using this set:

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Facade
- Swords Dance
- Protect

I decided on this set in order for Zangoose to be a wallbreaker, because it kinda sucks as a sweeper since basically everything that is sweeper material outspeeds it. Facade is the move of choice about 90% of the time, unless a resist like a steel or rock type comes in. Protect ensures a Toxic Boost going off and being able to fire off powerful Facades and kill frail Pokemon like Primarina without a problem.

Surprisingly, it does a shitload of damage to a lot of walls with 1 SD and Toxic Boost. Such feats as cleanly OHKO'ing 252/252+ Porygon2 with Close Combat and OHKO'ing 252/252+ Cresselia with boosted Facade about 50% of the time.

Any idea for teammates for this wall buster or just opinions on the set?

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Odd question I wanna ask for my friend, for a Pokemon that is essentially never ever used on the ladder.

I gave the fella a shiny Toxic Boost Zangoose and the dude is going ham over wanting to use it on the Rating Battle ladder.

Figured on using this set:

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Facade
- Swords Dance
- Protect

I decided on this set in order for Zangoose to be a wallbreaker, because it kinda sucks as a sweeper since basically everything that is sweeper material outspeeds it. Facade is the move of choice about 90% of the time, unless a resist like a steel or rock type comes in. Protect ensures a Toxic Boost going off and being able to fire off powerful Facades and kill frail Pokemon like Primarina without a problem.

Surprisingly, it does a shitload of damage to a lot of walls with 1 SD and Toxic Boost. Such feats as cleanly OHKO'ing 252/252+ Porygon2 with Close Combat and OHKO'ing 252/252+ Cresselia with boosted Facade about 50% of the time.

Any idea for teammates for this wall buster or just opinions on the set?
Drop Protect. I get that you want to guarantee the Orb proc but you can do that with pivoting teammates and it's a slot you could use for hitting Ghost-types with Night Slash. It'll make it hard to use but it'll really put in the miles when it works. Try both ways but I reckon it doesn't need Protect to at least break stall

Hi all
I just started playing Pokemon 1month ago and I sucked at BSS :/
My current team is Tapu Fini, Blaziken-Mega, ferrothorn, zapdos, marowak-Alola and Charizad-X. Still trying adjusting my team and natures.
My recent concern is Tapu Fini, shall I run defense or offense set? Taunt is so crucial for low rank and I can’t even hurt Mimikyu :/

Hi all
I just started playing Pokemon 1month ago and I sucked at BSS :/
My current team is Tapu Fini, Blaziken-Mega, ferrothorn, zapdos, marowak-Alola and Charizad-X. Still trying adjusting my team and natures.
My recent concern is Tapu Fini, shall I run defense or offense set? Taunt is so crucial for low rank and I can’t even hurt Mimikyu :/
First of all, on your team, you have 3 Fire types, which is a pretty large hinderance with all the popular Ground and Water types running around. You might think Ferrothorn and Fini might help in that department, but you are really limiting yourself.

Tapu Fini, Mega Blaziken, Ferrothorn, Zapdos is already a solid core by itself. I have one team just like this on my teams on-cartridge and saved to Pokémon Showdown. My recommendations would be to consider running Mega Salamence and Focus Sash Nihilego as they both help round out your team.

If Mimikyu is a problem, Ferrothorn kinda stomps on it already, although you could also consider Mold Breaker Pokémon like Excadrill or Mega Gyarados.

Fini can be up to you. You could run Taunt, Nature's Madness, Surf, and Moonblast with either Waterium Z or something like that. Offensive is usually better than defensive, but if you want to, you could run Bold max Def and HP with Calm Mind over Nature's Madness.

First of all, on your team, you have 3 Fire types, which is a pretty large hinderance with all the popular Ground and Water types running around. You might think Ferrothorn and Fini might help in that department, but you are really limiting yourself.

Tapu Fini, Mega Blaziken, Ferrothorn, Zapdos is already a solid core by itself. I have one team just like this on my teams on-cartridge and saved to Pokémon Showdown. My recommendations would be to consider running Mega Salamence and Focus Sash Nihilego as they both help round out your team.

If Mimikyu is a problem, Ferrothorn kinda stomps on it already, although you could also consider Mold Breaker Pokémon like Excadrill or Mega Gyarados.

Fini can be up to you. You could run Taunt, Nature's Madness, Surf, and Moonblast with either Waterium Z or something like that. Offensive is usually better than defensive, but if you want to, you could run Bold max Def and HP with Calm Mind over Nature's Madness.

Thanks for your advice! I run marowak due to thundurus-T but he is too slow, i will take ur suggestion replacing Charizard-X with nihilego, charizad-Y is another huge threat to my team cuz I suck at predicting X or Y. I guess I have to play more to learn meta then

This will probably wait until USUM comes out and hopefully brings us good Move Tutors, but I am wanting to try out a team featuring Lopunny/Mega Lopunny. I don't see an entry for Lopunny in BSS so I wanted to ask here if it's viable and if so, what set? I'm guessing it might just be worse than Mega Kangaskhan as a normal type Mega? Even if so, I'm ok with that and want to try it. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)