VGC Team + Question

https://imgur.com/gallery/w6cMK

This is a team from the 2018 European National Championships. It was used by Flavio Del Pidio who placed 8th.

http://www.trainertower.com/2018-european-international-championships/

My question, aside from eating and general information I may need to know about the team, is what kind of Celesteela that is, as in is it special offensive Celesteela or a Leech Seed + Sub Celesteela? I was hoping a very smart boi could tell by looking at the rest of the team.

Thank you in advance for your help.

P.S. Question: If something says “VGC 2018” that means that it’s in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, right?

P.P.S. I’m a new-ish VGC player and the reason I chose to look at this team was I thought I’d be able to replace A-Muk with a bulky Eviolite Poipole. I know that this is by no means an optimal bulk ‘Mon but, in theory, this would work to an extent, right? I only play VGC on Showdown, on the in-game ladder, and with my friends because it’s super fun, so it’s not like I’ll be trying to go to tournaments with a Poipole on my team.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
https://imgur.com/gallery/w6cMK

This is a team from the 2018 European National Championships. It was used by Flavio Del Pidio who placed 8th.

http://www.trainertower.com/2018-european-international-championships/

My question, aside from eating and general information I may need to know about the team, is what kind of Celesteela that is, as in is it special offensive Celesteela or a Leech Seed + Sub Celesteela? I was hoping a very smart boi could tell by looking at the rest of the team.
The first thing you can do is look at the videos recorded on http://twitch.tv/pokemonvgc_eu and see if his team was ever on the stream. Then just watch his battles and take notes of movesets, rough damage amounts, items, and so on.

P.S. Question: If something says “VGC 2018” that means that it’s in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, right?
Yes. The way VGC works is kinda weird. You have rulesets that change every year, and championship points (CP) which get reset after worlds.
When people say "VGC17" they are referring to the 2016-2017 ruleset that requires SM, alola pokedex only, no megas, etc. When people say "the 2017 season", they are referring to the points people build up from the last worlds to the next one.

So right now until some time in december, we are still playing the VGC17 ruleset, but any points will count towards the worlds tournament in 2018.

P.P.S. I’m a new-ish VGC player and the reason I chose to look at this team was I thought I’d be able to replace A-Muk with a bulky Eviolite Poipole. I know that this is by no means an optimal bulk ‘Mon but, in theory, this would work to an extent, right? I only play VGC on Showdown, on the in-game ladder, and with my friends because it’s super fun, so it’s not like I’ll be trying to go to tournaments with a Poipole on my team.
I don't think that will work. A-muk's main role on teams is to do things like remove items with knock off, boost with curse, and KO tapus, especially lele. On top of poipole having terrible offenses and defenses, it doesn't have a-muk's dark type to make it immune to lele's psychic attacks.

I don't think a team like that will be very successful in VGC18.

The first thing you can do is look at the videos recorded on http://twitch.tv/pokemonvgc_eu and see if his team was ever on the stream. Then just watch his battles and take notes of movesets, rough damage amounts, items, and so on.

Yes. The way VGC works is kinda weird. You have rulesets that change every year, and championship points (CP) which get reset after worlds.
When people say "VGC17" they are referring to the 2016-2017 ruleset that requires SM, alola pokedex only, no megas, etc. When people say "the 2017 season", they are referring to the points people build up from the last worlds to the next one.

So right now until some time in december, we are still playing the VGC17 ruleset, but any points will count towards the worlds tournament in 2018.

I don't think that will work. A-muk's main role on teams is to do things like remove items with knock off, boost with curse, and KO tapus, especially lele. On top of poipole having terrible offenses and defenses, it doesn't have a-muk's dark type to make it immune to lele's psychic attacks.

I don't think a team like that will be very successful in VGC18.
Alright. Thanks! I guess I’ll have to change gears for when VGC 18 starts. Do you have any suggestion(s) as to how a Poipole could be used on a team or is it just futile?

Alright. Thanks! I guess I’ll have to change gears for when VGC 18 starts. Do you have any suggestion(s) as to how a Poipole could be used on a team or is it just futile?
Naganadel is becoming a staple in teams, both in OU and in VGC. I suggest you try your hand on Pokémon Showdown, and watch videos. There's a nice Ray Rizzo video for Naganadel.

Naganadel is becoming a staple in teams, both in OU and in VGC. I suggest you try your hand on Pokémon Showdown, and watch videos. There's a nice Ray Rizzo video for Naganadel.

I know that Naganadel is a very strong ‘Mon, but I’m talking about the little man (it’s pre-evolution, likely with eviolite), Poipole.

I know that Naganadel is a very strong ‘Mon, but I’m talking about the little man (it’s pre-evolution, likely with eviolite), Poipole.
For VGC, I'm not sure. If we were talking about RU, NU or something like that, maybe, but for doubles, I'm not sure it can handle double targets, and it doesn't have support moves.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Passive mons don't work well in doubles. They either have to deal out damage, support others that do damage (mons like porygon2 and cress fall into this category), or be a win condition (stuff like ferrothorn and celesteela that can win games if you remove their counters)

Passive mons don't work well in doubles. They either have to deal out damage, support others that do damage (mons like porygon2 and cress fall into this category), or be a win condition (stuff like ferrothorn and celesteela that can win games if you remove their counters)
So what you’re saying is that his is likely a Celesteela that uses special attacks like Flamethrower and Flash Cannoninstead of Leech Seed and Sub? I haven’t looked at the video, yet to confirm because I don’t really have the time today.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
So what you’re saying is that his is likely a Celesteela that uses special attacks like Flamethrower and Flash Cannoninstead of Leech Seed and Sub? I haven’t looked at the video, yet to confirm because I don’t really have the time today.
Naganadel's purpose is to do damage.

Poipole won't be doing any damage with the stats it has. It's more like toxapex, which is a bad mon in vgc because it sits there and does nothing.

Naganadel's purpose is to do damage.

Poipole won't be doing any damage with the stats it has. It's more like toxapex, which is a bad mon in vgc because it sits there and does nothing.
Ohhhh. You were talking about Poipole. Yeah. You’re definitely right. I’ll probably experiment on Showdown to see what I can pull off, but it’s more than likely just going to fail after a while and it’ll be sad boy hours.

The only things Poipole have going on for it as a supporter are Helping Hand, Toxic and Gastro Acid, and there are better Pokémon to use those moves. You either use Naganadel (that I'm going to be using the whole season because it's now my second favorite Alolan Pokémon and one of my top 5 since I saw it for the first time) or won't use it at all, unfortunately.

The only things Poipole have going on for it as a supporter are Helping Hand, Toxic and Gastro Acid, and there are better Pokémon to use those moves. You either use Naganadel (that I'm going to be using the whole season because it's now my second favorite Alolan Pokémon and one of my top 5 since I saw it for the first time) or won't use it at all, unfortunately.
Thanks for this insight too. I’ll put it on a team to sue against friends, just for fun, but I’ll probably try to make an optimal ladder team. Also, good taste. Naganadel looks hella cool.

Come think of it, what kind of Pokémon/structure are usually seen ona team with a Helping Hand user? This is something I don’t know.

Come think of it, what kind of Pokémon/structure are usually seen ona team with a Helping Hand user? This is something I don’t know.
It really depends. Generally, it's a strong sweeper or something that needs the HH bonus to KO a specific threat for the team. I used to have HH Arcanine paired with Z-move Vikavolt, and almost nothing survived its Gigavolt Havoc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)