• Ice/Bug

Votes: 74 37.6%
  • No dual typing, mono-Steel for the win

Votes: 16 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
As appealing as Steel/Ice was to me, I voted Ice/Bug. Steel moves are pretty rare, aside from Meteor Mash and Gyro Ball. SR are going to be murder though. I'm just having a hard time imagining what kind of creature an Ice/Bug would be.

ice/bug

speedy, high special attack, low everything else

rapid spinners are a must use with this thing
No see I'm thinking that will be too similair to a Yanmega. In fact nearly exactly the same. Both got 4x Rock weakness, in fact similiar weaknesses all up, coverage nearly exactly the same, cmon its like an exact copy once you set the Hidden Power.

I think Physical Ice/Bug. It won't be a Hera clone due to the fact that it has a 4x SR weak, and has VERY different coverage, considering no CC and no longer needs stone edge for flying.
On top of that it will be one of the only pokemon to get a decent STAB Ice Punch move.

A set like Ice Punch/Megahorn/EQ/--- would get great coverage and make for a great UNIQUE Poke ;D

Wtf? Fire and Fighting are common as anything, you pretty much need a fire move to deal with steel walls.
Things that use Fire attacks in OU: Heatran, Infernape

Things that use Fighting attacks in OU: Lucario, Electivire, Weavile (sometimes)

Things that use Stealth Rock in OU: Hippowdon, Skarmory, Blissey, and every other common wall

So there.

I believe that out of the 3 options Ice/Bug is the most redundant, however I feel that Ice/Bug should be given a chance, Maybe not in Ou, Maybe in Ubers instead ¬.¬

I doubt that Steel/Bug would be able to match the skill that is Scizor, And I feel that Ice/Steel would be a tank, and I'm not fond of tanks.

I went for Ice/Steel. I mean, you get the offense of an Ice Type, along with the Defense of a Steel type. And if it had a good steel attack it could use, it wouldn't exactly have bad stab coverage. Plus a few steels can learn Electric attacks, what's to say this one couldn't?

I put steel bug. I prefer my bugs like I prefer my ladies...steely. (wtf)

Though Ice/bug see "Grylloblattodea", they literally have antifreeze in their blood and live on glaciers.

Ice steal has some nasty weaknesses...even with stellar defenses that thing is gonna be raped.

Plus a few steels can learn Electric attacks, what's to say this one couldn't?
Exactly. Metagross learns Earthquake, Forretress gets Explosion, and heatran gets Earth Power. Who's to say an Ice/Steel will only have Ice and Steel attacks?

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Bug/Ice with Magic Guard or something to absorb Stealth Rock (Magic Guard blocks Stealth Rock, right?)

Steel/Ice is meh and Steel/Bug's already done by Forry/Scizor/Wormadam

I second what Jibaku said (yea it does). Could make some sorta cool mixed sweeper of some sort (life orb abuse)

I wish you woulda take more types, the next best three maybe...ah well
Lessons for next time. I didn't like this idea at first, but thinking back to gameFAQs' character battle, this seems like a better idea....

Magic Guard would be the obvious choice for ability, unless someone designs a better one in that stage of the program. I still like Steel/Ice though. Rock is pretty common these days.

Things that use Fire attacks in OU: Heatran, Infernape

Things that use Fighting attacks in OU: Lucario, Electivire, Weavile (sometimes)

Things that use Stealth Rock in OU: Hippowdon, Skarmory, Blissey, and every other common wall

So there.
I'll just go ahead and bold some of the things you missed.

Things that commonly use Fire attacks in OU: Heatran, Infernape, Salamence, Azelf, Garchomp, Roserade, Blissey

Things that commonly use Fighting attacks in OU: Lucario, Electivire, Weavile, Heracross, PZ, Gengar, Azelf, Salamence, Togekiss, Machamp, Breloom

Things that use commonly Stealth Rock in OU: Hippowdon, Skarmory, you are right, may as well just say every team has a bulky physical/wall with SR. So I guess we should completely abandon the idea of Ice/Bug as a new original Pokemon type and while we are it throw Yanmega in the bin too. [/sarcasm]

Just for the record, those first two lists make up the Top 7 most used Pokemon on Shoddy. So there.

Magic Guard would fix that. And yea, I wonder what it'd be like as an uber....
You missed my sarcasm. SR doesn't kill a Pokemon. I mentioned Yanmega as reference to the fact that it has 4x SR weak and is still #29 on Shoddy for both weighted and unweighted usage =]

Lol I did miss that :P I wanna see that ice/bug though, well at least an ice/steel might make it in UU, typing makes it as bad as aggron =/

Ice/bug would be sweet. Cool idea... even if stealth rock is a problem.
Like the magic guard idea. I'm thinking more of a wall versus a sweeper though...

Ice/Bug. It'd be like what you get when you cross articuno with yanmega. Or something.

Steel is boring, ice/bug for the epic!

My thoughts on this thread:

First off, I think this is a great idea. 40 posts/41 views means this is a popular thread too, just about everyone is giving their opinion, and with enough popularity, who knows it might just reach the right person and Nintendo may put the Smogon created Pokemon in the next game. It's definitely worth trying, and even if it doesn't go through, its still fun to see where this thread goes and what result we get at the end of it ;D

As for the typings:

Steel/Bug has been done. Three times. I don't think it will be either as good as Forry/Scizor, or much different either. Plus, on a less important note, if Nintendo DO pick up on this idea, they probably aren't going to want a Pokemon thats already been done.

Ice/Steel: I like the fact that steel covers Ice's Rock weakness. But with the 4x Fire/Fighting weaknesses it brings as well as new ground weakness (all extremely common types), it makes the options for this Pokemon very restrictive if we want it to be OU. For one, it can't be defensive. And if it has to be offensive, a Steel STAB means it has to be physical to be decent, Meteor Mash is the only good steel attacking move, bar Gyro Ball, but this guy will need his speed with those weaknesses, so you can rule that out. Flash Cannon would maybe allow you to go special, but really I'm just seeing a worse version of Magnezone here due to the fact that it's defense is teh suck.

Ice/Bug: I've already said alot about this typing. But basically, everyone is worried about the 4x SR with this guy. Magic Guard isn't actually needed, a Rapid Spinner can do the job fine. Although Magic Guard would be an alright ability on it and wouldn't be broken either on an offensive Poke. Once the field is clear and this guy switches in immediately, not much Pokez can take STAB Ice Punch or Megahorn, with (hopefully) EQ and Thunderpunch to support it. At least thats where I'd like to see this Poke go. Specially orientated makes it too similiar to Yanmega.

Hm... I remember there being no mono-steel full evos. I'm seeing that as the best typing here. why did you guys choose three types that were all are not very effective vs. steel?

Hm... Jibaku's idea seems nice. Something like Infernape statwise, but with WonderGuard. Or we could make it an Uber with two of the best Stabs for that game.

i dont think anyone would use a steel ice poke unless it had insane stats. 4 week to fighting and week to ground is a bit much. t tar is a bit of an exception but hey, its defenses are 100/110/150

i voted for ice/bug. its a new typing plus it has two cool stab's

Things that commonly use Fire attacks in OU: Heatran, Infernape, Salamence, Azelf, Garchomp, Roserade, Blissey

Roserade is not a common OU pokemon, Garchomp would rather use Earthquake, and what Blissey are you using?

Things that commonly use Fighting attacks in OU: Lucario, Electivire, Weavile, Heracross, PZ, Gengar, Azelf, Salamence, Togekiss, Machamp, Breloom

Okay, I'll give you that.
My main problem with a Bug/Ice is the weakness to SR, but here's why: it needs to switch in. The reason Yanmega is so good is because it's an effective lead, capable of outspeeding everything right out of the gate after a Speed boost. Unless a new Bug/Ice is an effective lead, it's going to have to switch in at some point, and will take massive damage. A Wishpasser can only prolong the inevitable, and the new pokemon would needs to be able to counter common SRers (Bug and Ice aren't too effective against Skarm and Forry).

With Magic Guard it would work, but that could lead to an incredibly broken pokemon, which is not the point of this program. To make a Magic Guard Bug/Ice balanced, it would need to be pure Physical or Special attacker, because as Mr_Goodbar said

Could make some sorta cool mixed sweeper of some sort (life orb abuse)
Life Orb could really be abused here. Just voicing my thoughts on the matter.

Just a question. If people really like both possibilities, why don't we try making both, and then on the next type poll remove those types so there's not as much repitition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)