CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Poll 3

What is the function of our new pokemon?

• Physical sweeper

Votes: 21 10.6%
  • Special sweeper

Votes: 46 23.1%
  • Mixed sweeper

Votes: 87 43.7%
  • Physical tank

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Special tank

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Physical wall

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • Special wall

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Supporter

Votes: 22 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
magic guard could be on the next vote, we just have to make sure the base stat totals stay lower than 500. also in my opinion, making a new ability is stupid. there are so many abilities in the game already, and most of them are unique to only a couple of pokemon. lets give the new pokemon one of these relatively unpopular abilities: snow warning, insomnia, etc.

giving this pokemon an ability that elimates stealh rock damage is just weak. its like making a poison/electric pokemon and giving it levitate. every pokemon has a weakness, and we shouldn't just give it a random ability to get rid of its weakness.

In retrospect, yeah, Magic Guard would probably make LO the only good item on the pokemon (then there's the issues of it possibly not fitting in on an ice/bug), so some sort of "Ice Shell" ability that prevents SR (and possibly spikes/toxic spikes) damage would be best.

Of course, a pokemon can have more than one ability, so there's the option of throwing something else on as well to add versatility, which is where Compoundeyes, Ice-type Flash Fire, Serene Grace, or whatever else we've been thinking of can go in.
Ice type flash fire could be Flash Freeze :naughty:

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I demand a second turn (or however you call it ._.)

And about Shiver, if you really want to use it (not), there's a way to stop it from being so broken: Change its effect to "negates SR damage". Simple. No Life Orb abuse, no auto-Rapid Spin, no Rock immunity. Isn't that exactly what we want?

Or we could use my other trait idea (not the "Flash Freeze"); Icey Absorb. Instead of 50% damage, the Ice/Bug poké would take technicaly just 25%, if he switches in on one of the most used offensive types in the game (Ice Punch, Ice Shard, Ice Beam, lol Blizzard, Powder Snow?).

I still say that appearance should have been one of the first things decided. I mean, if we knew what it looked like, we would have some idea of its moves. Such as if it didn't have a horn, there'd be a LOT less people saying "OMG it can do Ice Beam and Megahorn!" I swear that was the mindset of at least half of the mixed sweeper voters, as in they wouldn't have voted mixed if it didn't get Megahorn.

Has anyone even noticed that only ONE current bug actually gets Megahorn?

^ I agree. The ability description could be more suited:

Shakes constantly to shield itself from boulders. (rocks?)

Spikes could still hit, same with TS.. unless this Shiver adds a Levitate efffect? {which it potentially could have, I mean it has wings.. if we're doing the moth.}

I like that one too, Mario with Lasers, but the name is really.. weird. How about "Snow Star" or something? "Freeze Absorb" --> throw in a "cannot be frozen" part too? "Close Chill?"

I still say that appearance should have been one of the first things decided. I mean, if we knew what it looked like, we would have some idea of its moves. Such as if it didn't have a horn, there'd be a LOT less people saying "OMG it can do Ice Beam and Megahorn!" I swear that was the mindset of at least half of the mixed sweeper voters, as in they wouldn't have voted mixed if it didn't get Megahorn.

Has anyone even noticed that only ONE current bug actually gets Megahorn?
NO. NO. if you have taken high school math you should know that a graph has a dependant and an independant, as in you cannot have one thing without the other. now this is not a graph, but it has the same principal. a pokemon's appearance depends on its function. so the function is the independant and the appearance is the dependant. you need the independant in order for the dependant to exist, so we need to do the function first before we do the appearance.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
HOLY MACARONI THAT'S IT

If the mixed sweeper ends up being the chosen role for the Ice/Bug guy, why don't we make it an (other) Scyther's alternate evo? Well, let's look at the stats:

Scyther: HP: 70 / Attack: 110 / Defense: 80 / Sp. Attack: 55 / Sp. Defense: 80 / Speed: 105 /Total: 500

The fast and furious guy. The defenses are good, but not special, and the Sp. Attack is a shame. Purely physical.

Scizor: HP: 70 / Attack: 130 / Defense: 100 / Sp. Attack: 55 / Sp. Defense: 80 / Speed: 65 /Total: 500

The slow and resilient guy. The Sp. Attack and Speed are pitiful, but it has a really high Attack (lol where's Stone Edge again), and incredible defense abilities, mostly because of his good defensive typing.

And now, Icyzor (lol). Upon evolution, Scyther lost Speed and gained Attack and Defense, turning itself into a bulky Baton Passer and dangerous Quick Attacker (seriously). How should we do with Icyzor? Considering it is meant to be a mixed sweeper, the defenses aren't priority. However, they need to be decent, we don't want a pokémon who dies to Choice'd Splashes.

Firstly, the attack stats. Which will be higher, the physical or the special? We can't simply say "the physical, because both Scyther and Scizor are physical-based" because Gardevoir and her pre-evos were pretty special-based, and they gave us Gallade (obligatory "Gardevoir ir prettier" post).

But I say we should really swap their stats. 70/110/80/55/80/105 becomes 70/55/80/110/80/105. But now, we have that nasty Attack. Icyzor, obviously, would be able to use Swords Dance, but... slight higher Attack than Azumarill's and no Choice Band, with almost no resistances (although Icyzor has some pretty nice ones)? I don't think so. Either raise the Attack, give it Huge Power (lol no), or raise the defenses (lol no²).

So, I say (again): drop the damn defenses. While Scizor dropped its Speed for the Defense (he's the bulky brother), Icyzor needs to drop its defense stat for the Attack (hi mixed brother). I'd say at first "kill the Defense", but we want something that actually doesn't instantly die to Chomp's Quake. So, we can go with the Sp. Defense. HOWEVER, it's HP is the lowest defensive stat it has, so it's better for Icyzor's defensive abilities to ditch the HP. Check for yourself, Defenses are more important than HP (Wynaut and Cubone, for example; one has 95 HP/48 Defense, and the other, 50 HP/95 Defense; guess who is bulkier) in Icyzor's case.

But how much? I'd go with 25, just to get a nice 80 Attack, and a measly 45 HP. Yeah, pretty arbitrary, but it's either the HP (that is lower anyway), or the Defenes (that are still somewhat useful).

So, in the end, we get this:

Icyzor: HP: 45 / Attack: 80 / Defense: 80 / Sp. Attack: 110 / Sp. Defense: 80 / Speed: 105 /Total: 500

Sadly, that's the best I can get with Scyther's stats and without going the obvious "lol 70/70/70 defenses".

But anyway, if this guy were a Special Sweeper, things would be a lot easier (swap the offensive stats), but then, good luck trying to completely IGNORE that its pre-evo had 110 Attack...

Or we could just do it a 70/110/60/95/60/105 Icyzor and say "fuck you, he's in" to the 70/70/70 clan.

I read about a real life beetle that lives in icy regions. It is so adapted to the cold climate that holding it in your hand will kill it in seconds.

Doesn't matter much, but if its a beetle we could stick on Megahorn.

Fuck that! Make it a worm!

No! An assasin bug! That sort of makes sense, possibly flash freezes its sleeping foes? Stick some ability in about it being hard to hit, thus giving it rock immunity (SR).

If it's going to be a new Pokemon, why not just make it its own seperate family? Like maybe have previous evolutions, so we all can bitch and moan about how the NFE Stage 1 of the final Pokemon's speed is higher than the Stage 2 (the Final Stage of the Pokemon), making him viable in the metagame.

Since this Pokemon will be Ice/Bug type, and be a mixed sweeper, how about a Pillbug? I got the perfect 'Dex entry for that kind of Pokemon.

(Pokemon's Name)
The Pillbug Pokemon
Height: ????
Weight: ????

This Pokemon curls up into a ball in extremely cold weather to preserve heat in its body. It has very large yet fine antennae to detect prey surrounding it, allowing it to sneak attack its prey by plowing into it while it's curled up hiding in the snow. However, it is very vulnerable when exposed.

Stats: 40/90/80/110/85/95

A quick attacker with nice speed, nice defenses, and good attack. Makes up for his staggering weaknesses against all of the common types, such as Fire, Rock, Fighting, and especially a 50% SR weakness.

NO. NO. if you have taken high school math you should know that a graph has a dependant and an independant, as in you cannot have one thing without the other. now this is not a graph, but it has the same principal. a pokemon's appearance depends on its function. so the function is the independant and the appearance is the dependant. you need the independant in order for the dependant to exist, so we need to do the function first before we do the appearance.
I'm willing to argue with you here and say that appearance is thought of BEFORE function. Or at least that's how Nintendo/GameFreak/whoever does it. To prove this point, the anime. We saw Togepi LONG before we knew what it could do.

If it was done the way you're suggesting the programmers thought like this:
"Hey, let's make a Poison/Dark type, give it Slash-like attacks, this new Poison Jab attack we've made, and let's let it spew fire and explode! Now what kind of creature could do all that?"

If it was done how I'm saying, it'd be more like this:
"Okay, we've made a skunk Pokemon. Let's give it Slash and similar stuff because it's got claws. Let's also give it Flamethrower for some reason. And Explosion because the gases that smell in it could build up and BOOM!"

And yes, this example is describing Stunky/Skuntank.

Sorry for massive argument post, I just strongly believe that we should work out appearance BEFORE function, or at least before moves it can learn.

I'm willing to argue with you here and say that appearance is thought of BEFORE function. Or at least that's how Nintendo/GameFreak/whoever does it. To prove this point, the anime. We saw Togepi LONG before we knew what it could do.

If it was done the way you're suggesting the programmers thought like this:
"Hey, let's make a Poison/Dark type, give it Slash-like attacks, this new Poison Jab attack we've made, and let's let it spew fire and explode! Now what kind of creature could do all that?"

If it was done how I'm saying, it'd be more like this:
"Okay, we've made a skunk Pokemon. Let's give it Slash and similar stuff because it's got claws. Let's also give it Flamethrower for some reason. And Explosion because the gases that smell in it could build up and BOOM!"

And yes, this example is describing Stunky/Skuntank.

Sorry for massive argument post, I just strongly believe that we should work out appearance BEFORE function, or at least before moves it can learn.
I agree with you there, appearance before function does sound like a better way to appoach this thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)