CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Art Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marker617&Eric the Espeon~ Aware of it D:

In referance to the "pokemon" looking drawing by Doug
This one would be much cooler without the sleds as it remind me of a torpedo with horns. How bout legs that it can tuck in and use his belly, something like Metagross does.

Edit: I'm now imaging it as a horned, icy version of Heatran.
His reply to quote above.
Yeah, the horned sled-bug just didn't work. But, I like the direction you are going. I really wanted to get a horned beetle concept to work. The sled idea gave an impression of speed, but it just didn't gel. I swept back the legs, which made it look like a water-beetle. Overall, just too much going on to give it a cohesive look. When I get some time, I'll ditch the runners and rework the legs and see if that helps. What about the horned carapace? I thought that was kinda fail also. But, there's really no nice way to do it without it looking like a rhino or dinosaur. If you looked at it and thought the "bug" feel came through, then maybe it's worth a second pass.

That's really awesome, JSC. How did you do the coloring?
I use openCanvas beta, a kinda old kinda crappy less than 1 MB large .exe file that just works really well with sketching with a tablet. I usually don't use it for serious coloring tho, but I did there since it's just a rough drawing :)

Thanks for everyone's comments. A lot of them might be true, like it not looking tough enough to really be a mixed sweeper, but yeah I'm one of those people who like fake Pokemon to actually look like Pokemon. If Togekiss can get Focus Punch and Dodrio can get Fly, I'm sure mine could get Close Combat lol.

And if you look at a praying mantis, that's what their eyes really look like, whoever made that comment who I don't remember. :)

This guy looks a little bit like an ant. Here's just a rough sketch, my skills don't go much further than this. He looks a bit frail, but with what's going on in Poll 5 right now, it looks like it's going to be needing speed and good attacks. I think this guy has that. The skates on the feet are on obvious shout out to the Ice type. I suppose if he were to battle on anything but ice they would be a little impractical, but they can easily be removed. The one protruding spike on his head allows for the use of Mega Horn.

Here is something I thought which might be cool. I always wanted a Dark/Flying type besides Murkrow and it's evolution. I also always thought or Wished Crobat was Dark/Flying, but no such luck, so I made another Bat Pokemon, which I'm sure we probably don't need any more of it, but I really liked how they came out.

The first one is the first form. I'm thinking DemonBatBaby, maybe Darkby, or something with Baby and Bat in the name, it's hard to come up with names.

The 2nd form is the final form. Vothbat, meaning Vampire Goth Bat. I dunno. I have two pictures, sorry they aren't very good, I only like to draw with a pencil.
what does this have to do with the bug/ice pokemon?

133tSneasel: It looks a lot more Dark/Flying than Ice/Bug.

That was his plan Coop

Anyways Soy Monk's and Doug's are both amazingly good ideas, however I was wondering if they is a possible way of incorporating them both together to make an evo set. A bit of reworking on both parts could do this, make dougs the larval stage, However make it so that the larval stage can only learn MEGAHORN!!! While the Evolved gets X-Cissor on Level.

As for Eric who suggested the mountaineer trait, that's a really cool trait, and i think that should be it's trait (that or Intimidate) However make it so the Mountaineer trait is only for Direct Damage, so that switching on SR would still kick it's ass. However to allow the Dougs one in competive play (Go Scyther) it should be given Crystal Shell (Solid Rock for Ice Types) as well as Compound Eyes. CS - M and CE - I

Also big props to KoA's it kicks ass, just not as good as Soy's and Dougs.

As for CyzirVisheen, Wouldn't the female have more intricate wings (Design and Such) To attract the male?

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
As for CyzirVisheen, Wouldn't the female have more intricate wings (Design and Such) To attract the male?
This is actually for two reasons. Firstly, this was inspired by some animal species, like peacocks and several species of fishes, in which the males are more colorful and extravagant than the females. As for the second reason, the only things male ants do in nature are eat, mate, and die. Since there are more male drone ants than queen ants, I decided to give the males the intricate wings in order to attract the few females ants.

I don't know if any of you know this, I mentioned it once before. There is an actual bug, in Grylloblattodea, that has a natural antifreeze in its haemolymph (their version of blood) and lives on freaking glaciers. It is so adapted to cold that it will die if you hold it in your closed hand because of overheating.

a pic, for inspiration:

Sorry it's small, google Grylloblattodea if you want more. They are ellusive and very neat.

Alternatively, here's some cool insects that might help you be inspired, since this is a bug type we are dealing with:

Megaloptera. Note the GIANT mandibles on the males (shown).

Mecoptera or 'scorpionfly'. Note the upturned rear and the long 'nose' (Labrum I believe). COOL!

I know it's not an insect, but it lives in very cold polar waters. Bathynomus. This is a GIANT isopod that looks like darth vader.

This is a belostomatid. A giant predatory Hemipteran, note the GIANT forelimbs used to tears FISH apart. These things are huge and hurt like hell when they 'bite'

Raphidioptera, or 'snakefly'. This is one badass looking insect, don't you agree?

The infamous Antlion. What a badass...this is a neuropteran, but in larval form. It is a vicious killer of, you guessed it, ANTS!! Note the MASSIVE mandibles...

Hope that helps you guys be inspired. This bug we are making looks like it'll have lots of attack stats, so I put up some of the more badass looking stuff as far as offensiveness goes.

I love Soy Monk's. It is really cool and just the sort of thing a powerful Bug/Ice Pokemon.

I love Just Some Chick's one even more. It is so cute and the scarf is fantastic. I don't see it so much as a sweeper, but it is a great Pokemon none the less.

It is just a shame that this Pokemon is a Bug/Ice type. Stealth Rocks would seriously hamper it.

That's pretty nice. It makes me think of a Heracross combined with Metagross. It definitely has the physical and special aspects going, but it looks very slow for something bound to have over 120 base speed.

Holy friggin' carp, Soy, that's fantastic. It can shoot Ice Beams and Blizzards from it's hands and use its tail for Ice Shards. It's thin enough to be fast and armored enough to have defenses but not too much. Probably more of a meaningless request at this point, but would it be possible to combine those four ice ridges on its head into a big horn? That would solve the Megahorn debate going on in the main thread.

Oaky, Mr. Monk, I can know make out the detail of your design.

My only complaint is that it looks a little slow, as in not 120+ Speed. What's the grayish whitish thing around the legs, that is the main thing that makes it look slow?

Finally got time to scan the colored version... Tada!
That looks excellent. The only problem i see is that it looks like it would be very slow.

The head looks very, well, interesting. It seems as if there is too much going on, with no clear eyes.

I have to say i like justsomechick's the best.
SoyMonk's is sweet... but doesn't seem like it fits the type...
maybe a bug-rock?

That looks excellent. The only problem i see is that it looks like it would be very slow.

The head looks very, well, interesting. It seems as if there is too much going on, with no clear eyes.
Exactly the reason why Coop should have had the base stats finalized before asking us to start drawing stuff. At least these aren't the final designs. The first poll will determine the final "template" for us to work with.

The eyes aren't clear? It has four, eyes that are clearly visible (at least to me XD).

Eh, I decided going a different route with my little bugger. (lol)
In terms of style, I decided not to overly deviate from Sugimori's and tried to make it look like an actual pokemon. In terms of design, I actually borrowed elements from several bugs and combined them together. Also, I couldn't find my mechanical pencil, so I was forced to use a Gel pen, but that won't matter once I go to make it digitally pretty.

I haven't given it a proper name yet, aside from Icebug. I've a couple other different Ideas to bounce around too, so I'll post them once they get complete.

Uh, some things I wanted to point out on this guy is that obviously his body is streamlined for agility and speed. While his wings don't enable him to fly really high, he is perfectly adept for low altitude flight and the rapid movement at which his 6 wings move emit high frequency waves that can disorient would-be attackers.

His powerful front claws are so cold they often freeze prey on contact, making hunting easy.

His antennae and large eyes give him almost unparalleled heightened senses and allow him to navigate with ease in even the worst blizzard.

Also, he can fire special attacks from his tail, which can also be used as a weapon.

I've got a few other ideas for what this pokemon could look like as well. Will post when drawn/scanned.
I actually like this one the best so far, its one of the few that actually seems like it has the base stats it should. But Soy Monk's I like the best too, looks somewhat slow though, maybe a different pose or a little lost bulk?

Holy crap Soy-Monk, that looks vicious man. I don't see why everyone saying it's slow since I picture it actually being fast and his appearance is just an diguse to fool his oppenent to think it's slow.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

_________ used Ice Beam!

It's super effective!

...yeah, this is the male's design. As for the horn issue, I decided to go with both, and give the male the natural horn, and the female the icy horn.

^sexy.

Look up Raphidioptera for inspiration. The pics of them keep going off availability for some reason. STRANGE.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I was watching the football game tonight, and got the time to put some ink and color on one of the many bug designs I've posted. This one hasn't received much positive feedback so far, but I still like it. Also, it was fun to noodle around with. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)