CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Poll 6

What will be the ability of our new pokemon?

• Intimidate

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Compound Eyes

Votes: 74 41.6%
  • Snow Warning

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • Swarm

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Ice Absorb

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Ice Shell

Votes: 71 39.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing is, without compoundeyes this thing really sucks. The likelihood of hitting any of its STAB power moves 2 in a row hovers around 50-60%. Moreover if you mac either stat to wipe out whatever particular wall, the other walls start blocking you.

There's also the fact both its STABs are resisted by Fire and Steel types individually (4x when together).. Heatran says hello to this, as does Infernape(4x resists Bug, resists Ice). The occaisional Magmortar and Typh also like this. Empoleon resists both its moves too, as does Poliwrath and Tentacruel. Scizor and Forry resist both, and so do Lucario, Aggron, Bastiodon, and Probopass. Ice/Bug really isn't that great for coverage, at least as far as resistances go. Bug < Flying gets covered and that's about it. Thick Fat Hariyama also resists both STABs.
What ever happened to using Ice Beam and X-scissor, like all the other sweepers in the game. Again, accuracy balances these moves, 100 accuracy breaks them.

Okay, so that makes it even worse than I thought, Deck Knight. However, every one of the Poke's you mention is weak to Earthquake except Poliwrath, Scizor, and Forretress. So, it might not seem good at first, but when one move takes care of something like 80% of the resists to its STABs, that's pretty good. Just run HP Fire for Scizor and Forry and you're all set to sweep (aside from the pretty rare Poliwrath, of course).

Ice Shell, It is really awsome, although Compound Eyes seems to go well too.

really I had a hard time choosing between the 2, but hey I like where this is going. But yeah, w/o any hits of spikes of any kind it will be generally on everyone's team for a while.... AWSOME!!

Thought about it for a while and voted Snow Warning despite seemingly no one else doing so.

Besides the obvious 100% Blizzard, nuke of Focus Sashers, and residual damage, it would make him extremely useful STRATEGICALLY which is just as important as extremely useful on his own.

It would allow teams on whatever mod server this'll be placed on to go without Abomasnow if they desired. It's the same impact Hippo gave to TSS where T-tar was necessary on every team in the past.

He still retains his position as glass cannon, still takes 75% switch-in like the CompoundEyes ability, and now can change the metagame so much more.

I'm a bit upset that inverse wasnt even considered. Think of how it could have allowed creature more switch in and out survival to have a resistance to rocks and fire (SR included.) Sure, the trade is weaknesses to ground and ice, both common types, but with the power to switch around, it'd have had viability with choice items.

Intimidate seems a poor choice to me. It'll get one or two uses at most with that ability. The second use may kill it if it switches in on SR, provided Intimidate's Mechanism lets it go before SR faints it.

blizzard/megahorn/thunder/stone edge w/compound eyes. 91%/100%/91%/100%.
not saying our poke will have these moves but i totally agree with coop that you can work around SR and the potential here is simply incredible. i wasn't excited about this poke till i saw the ability choices.

This is all assuming of course we give him a moveset with Blizz/Horn/Thunder/SE. We know nothing about his moveset so his ability discussion is, as has been mentioned before, a bit dubious.

Blizzard and Megahorn make a lot of sense, Thunder and SE just scream "I NEED WALL BUSTING ATTACKS" like Fire Blast on Garchomp or Brick Break on Salamence.

I'm a bit upset that inverse wasnt even considered. Think of how it could have allowed creature more switch in and out survival to have a resistance to rocks and fire (SR included.) Sure, the trade is weaknesses to ground and ice, both common types, but with the power to switch around, it'd have had viability with choice items.
I'd say the reason it wasn't considered is that, as I said before, it MAKES NO SENSE ON THIS THING. As I stated previously, magically switching type matchups isn't a very icy or buggy thing to do. It would make senseon some wacky psychic thing, but not here.

Was magic guard deemed too broken?
I'd assume so. Seriously, imagine a Life Orb Infernape that doesn't take Life Orb damage. That's what this woul be looking like.

Needs moar Tinted Lens.
Now THAT would be fun. Not even resistant switch-ins would be very safe. Perfect for people who suck with Choice items (read: me)

I STILL say appearance should have been figured out after types, to limit moves and abilities. I mean, if this thing ended up with no eyes (extreme example, but you know what I'm getting at) then Compoundeyes would make no sense.

Snow Warning gives him a purpose other than sweeping (which you can't rely on him to do). It also gives him a good purpose as a lead, which negates the stealth rock worries.

I have a theory on how it can work here. It's all about the climate where the creature lives. As ironic as it may sound, if this thing were meant to live in volcanic areas, the idea of resisting fire and rocks would work. It's high above GROUND level, and away from the plants that are unhealthy for it, but not high enough to need to handle the cold of high altitude. Steel fits in there... somehow. It's steel, so it doesn't matter too much.

Continuing to explain why Inverse would be better than Ice Shell, which could probably be given a less exclusive sounding name, is the fact that after you've switched in, you can give it away. I'm talking Skill Swap, and it can see big results!

You can skill swap many things and they wont like being Inversed. Gyarados, for instance, wont like switching in to gain a weakness to STAB bug, not to mention how Skill Swapping will give him an intimidate (though you'll have one as well.) Heatran is a big one here.

Skill Swapping Heatran gives you fire immunity, and lets you wall it unless it carries a rock move or Luster Cannon. Let's not forget that both STABs would be 4x effective.

Magnezone won't like being Magnet Pulled while being weak to both STABs either.

Come to think of it, Inverse can be a very annoying ability to skill swap. A few creatures dont care, or they really like the swap.

Mamoswine likes Skill Swapped Inverse. Having 5 resistances, electric immunity and only a weakness to poison? Great! It also has STAB Ice Shard to smack you around before you swap it to him. With such poor defenses, that'll hurt.

Abomasnow might like the swap too. It trades its weaknesses for its resistances... though its resistances are to common types. It can't really hit too hard back as grass, ice and ground are all resisted by this creature naturally. Too bad for the snowmaker that the swap happens after SR damage.

Hmmm.... Inverse + Skill Swap might be too powerful. I guess prediction can beat it, though the idea of switching a dragon in on an ice type is very strange. Salamence will get himself intimidated, and Sandstream may turn against Garchomp. These are of course rare instances of how the switch may help the frosty insect, made even more rare by the fact that, yet again, no dragon switches in on an ice type.

Hate to sound like I'm derailing a topic, but I just feel like adding my two cents. Feel free to make this thing sound less broken because I'm not much a battler, just a concoction stirrer.

I have a theory on how it can work here. It's all about the climate where the creature lives. As ironic as it may sound, if this thing were meant to live in volcanic areas, the idea of resisting fire and rocks would work. It's high above GROUND level, and away from the plants that are unhealthy for it, but not high enough to need to handle the cold of high altitude. Steel fits in there... somehow. It's steel, so it doesn't matter too much.

Continuing to explain why Inverse would be better than Ice Shell, which could probably be given a less exclusive sounding name, is the fact that after you've switched in, you can give it away. I'm talking Skill Swap, and it can see big results!

You can skill swap many things and they wont like being Inversed. Gyarados, for instance, wont like switching in to gain a weakness to STAB bug, not to mention how Skill Swapping will give him an intimidate (though you'll have one as well.) Heatran is a big one here.

Skill Swapping Heatran gives you fire immunity, and lets you wall it unless it carries a rock move or Luster Cannon. Let's not forget that both STABs would be 4x effective.

Come to think of it, Inverse can be a very annoying ability to skill swap. A few creatures dont care, or they really like the swap.

Mamoswine likes Skill Swapped Inverse. Having 5 resistances, electric immunity and only a weakness to poison? Great! It also has STAB Ice Shard to smack you around before you swap it to him. With such poor defenses, that'll hurt.

Abomasnow might like the swap too. It trades its weaknesses for its resistances... though its resistances are to common types. It can't really hit too hard back as grass, ice and ground are all resisted by this creature naturally. Too bad for the snowmaker that the swap happens after SR damage.

Hmmm.... Inverse + Skill Swap might be too powerful. I guess prediction can beat it, though the idea of switching a dragon in on an ice type is very strange. Salamence will get himself intimidated, and Sandstream may turn against Garchomp. These are of course rare instances of how the switch may help the frosty insect, made even more rare by the fact that, yet again, no dragon switches in on an ice type.

Hate to sound like I'm derailing a topic, but I just feel like adding my two cents. Feel free to make this thing sound less broken because I'm not much a battler, just a concoction stirrer.

I'm kinda seeing your point, but the name's a problem. It seriously sounds like some type of psychic reality manipulation.

No, Inverse does not make sense on this.
Snow Warning gives him a purpose other than sweeping (which you can't rely on him to do). It also gives him a good purpose as a lead, which negates the stealth rock worries.
More good argumentation for a poll entry that is bound to fail.

We could also keep in mind, that every Pokemon can have up tp two abilities. Why don't we implement the top two, to let the users of it decide?

Inverse as a name doesn't fit too well, but it's meant to be open so other Pokemon who may have reasons to want or need it can have it.

My other choice name was Climate Change, but much like moves, I don't think abilities have more than 12 spaces to them. I'd hope I were wrong.

I really don't like the name Ice Shell because the name sounds exclusive to Ice Types. I'm sure there are other Pokemon who would want easier switch ins who aren't ice.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
If this thing has any hope of seeing any play, it has to have Ice Shell. Otherwise, for all the talk about a glass-cannon sweeper -- it will just be talk. No one will use it. The only other remote possibility is a lead. If that's the plan, then Snow Warning should be the vote, but that doesn't look likely. I hope everyone stops being so giddy about the possiblity of near-100% accurate Blizzard and Megahorn, if this gets Compound Eyes. It's powerful, but not nearly as valuable as eliminating entry hazards. Ice Shell solves the single most commented, ridiculed, and reviled thing about this pokemon. Go back and read all the other threads. Almost every new post starts something like this:

"Lol. This pokemon is royally screwed. Obviously, no one else has noticed this so I'll be the first to point it out -- this pokemon is 4x weak to rock, which means it will be losing 50% of it's HP every time it switches in! OMG! That really sucks. The typing on this thing is horrible. But anyway -- <proceeds to make their point>..."

So, lets just solve the problem, and stop all the obsessing over Stealth Rock damage. Ice Shell is the way to go.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
We could also keep in mind, that every Pokemon can have up tp two abilities. Why don't we implement the top two, to let the users of it decide?
not all pokemon have 2 options of abilitys but i realy like this idea, what does everyone else think?

I have a theory on how it can work here. It's all about the climate where the creature lives. As ironic as it may sound, if this thing were meant to live in volcanic areas, the idea of resisting fire and rocks would work (not even if the pokemon lived near fire, fire still melts ice and burns bugs, rocks are stronger than ice and shatter it and squash bugs). It's high above GROUND level (but theres still ground there and it will not always battle in its own enviroment), and away from the plants that are unhealthy for it (WTH), but not high enough to need to handle the cold of high altitude (its an ice type it resists ice, not weak to it). Steel fits in there... somehow. It's steel, so it doesn't matter too much.
all your arguements are quite bad

Continuing to explain why Inverse would be better than Ice Shell, which could probably be given a less exclusive sounding name (whats wrong with it being exclusive?), is the fact that after you've switched in, you can give it away. I'm talking Skill Swap, and it can see big results!
only psychic pokemon get Skill Swap, dont go there.

how would a bug/ice get skill swap?

cooper has asked us not to sugest new abilitys and your idea has worse logic than the mountinear ability.
cooper: the ice absorb ability was ment to be a ice type flash fire not a ice type water absorb,the name sugested was flash freze, look trough the older polls and you will see.

I agree. It should have the choice between 2 abilities, as it isn't a legendary / 600 BST Pokemon / Nubmon (that means YOU caterpie). Most Pokemon who aren't in any of those 3 categories have 2 abilities.

In which case, I would choose Compund Eyes and Ice Shell.

eric the espeon

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i agree too, also it would mean that if the sprite stops one of the abilitys from working (say the pokemon has no shell/normal eyes) we could chose the other one insted.

Well, the sprite hasn't been chosen (made) yet. The sprite also has to be able to support all the moves, the community wants it to get (Stone edge, Megahorn, etc.).

Inverse as a name doesn't fit too well, but it's meant to be open so other Pokemon who may have reasons to want or need it can have it.

My other choice name was Climate Change, but much like moves, I don't think abilities have more than 12 spaces to them. I'd hope I were wrong.

I really don't like the name Ice Shell because the name sounds exclusive to Ice Types. I'm sure there are other Pokemon who would want easier switch ins who aren't ice.
MANY other pokes have near exclusive abilities that are done by a diffrent pokemon who has a different name for it (Vital Spirit/Insomnia)

eric the espeon

Well, the sprite hasn't been chosen (made) yet (true). The sprite also has to be able to support all the moves, the community wants it to get (Stone edge, Megahorn, etc.) (NO. it dos not need to have all the moves, it haveing megahorn would make it more powerful but we should not disign the sprite to have all the attacks it could ever want).
agreeing with dende about the ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)