CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Poll 6

What will be the ability of our new pokemon?

• Intimidate

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Compound Eyes

Votes: 74 41.6%
  • Snow Warning

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • Swarm

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Ice Absorb

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Ice Shell

Votes: 71 39.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
ice shell just because
imagine:
send out icybug
pointing stones dug into icy bug
icybug lost 50% of its health
something uses something
icybug lost <50% of its health
icy bug fainted

How does Ice Shell block damage from Toxic Spikes? Does it just not get poisoned? Or is it somewhat like Magic Guard in this way.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It's not my oppinion about the moves. It's what I've seen frequently as a wish during the process of making the pokemon.
i agree that it should have a good movepool but disigning the sprite so it gets all the attacks it would want sounds like a bad idea, would nintendo make the sprite so it had good attacks, or make the sprite then think "what moves would it make sense for this to have?"

How does Ice Shell block damage from Toxic Spikes? Does it just not get poisoned? Or is it somewhat like Magic Guard in this way.
it would just stop it from being poisoned.

Voted Ice Shell, I like the fact that it won't take SR, spikes, etc damage.

Also, you should consider giving it multiple abilities. That way, people won't know what ability to expect when facing the monster.

Hmm. . . I voted Compoundeyes, but when the second poll comes around, I'm voting Snow Warning if it's there and if not, Ice Shell. Snow Warning, as previously mentioned, gives it more purpose than just sweeping, and it'll help with 2HKO's (like Blissey) because of the stolen lefties recovery. Ice Shell for obvious reasons.

Voted Ice Absorb. Am thinking it'd make a nice partner for SpecsMence or ScarfChomp. Both fear the inevitable ice attack coming their way, and this can switch in for the heal and because it can cover either side of the attacking spectrum, it can cover whichever said dragon isn't running. This also limits the damage it'll be taking from stealth rocks/spikes without making it ridiculously easy to bring as Ice Shell would make it. Also, compound eyes in unnecessary outside of Blizzard as someone mentioned on the first page. Even then, this'll be getting 100% accuracy on that from all the hail teams that'll be running around with it.

It's weird talking about a pokemon that doesn't exist as if it does.

Edit:
Also, you should consider giving it multiple abilities. That way, people won't know what ability to expect when facing the monster.
As if the abilities it has to choose from here don't make it broken enough already... Bar Swarm.

Ice Shell. 4x SR weak is just too big of a damper on a pokemon. I'm really not sure how Compoundeyes would be without seeing the rest of his movepool.

I would prefer him to have two abilities, like most Pokemon, in which case I would pick Ice Shell and Compund Eyes. Otherwise, I'm going Ice Shell.

If his moveset turns out to be IceBeam/Bug Buzz/ThunderPunch/earthquake, and you picked Compound Eyes, think how stupid you'll look...

I voted for Ice Shell, though depending on how the appearence is finalized, the name might have to be changed.

For something that looks really defensively weak, Ice Shell wouldn't be an appropriate name. Something like High Speed (Outspeeds natural hazards.) would be more fitting.

Just an idea.

We could also keep in mind, that every Pokemon can have up tp two abilities. Why don't we implement the top two, to let the users of it decide?
I'm all for this. At this point, Ice Shell and Compound Eyes are bound to win, so they would make excellent choices for battles. Ice Shell if you have a bug SR weak, and Compound Eyes for those of us confident in our Spinning pokemon.

Thinking about it now, Snow Warning would make a lot of sense strategically. Gives this guy a purpose, makes Blizzard 100% accurate, and reduces Abomasnow dependency. I think I'll vote for that next time.

As it stands now, the next poll is going to be for appearance. I feel it's best we do that before moveset, to determine if Megahorn can even be an option, as that's the big argument against Compound Eyes. But I'll say it again, Thunder is definitely not an option on this pokemon.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Caught up with all of this a bit late, but voted Compound Eyes for obvious reasons.

I voted for Ice Shell, though depending on how the appearence is finalized, the name might have to be changed.

For something that looks really defensively weak, Ice Shell wouldn't be an appropriate name. Something like High Speed (Outspeeds natural hazards.) would be more fitting.
I voted for Ice Shell too, although i too feel the name could be changed. An ability called Shiver was suggested in previous threads. I think that is definately an appropriate name forthat ability, not to mention it doesnt have to be restricted just this ice type pokemon.

I also think that the appearence of the pokemon has alot to do with the ability. Obviously, if compoundeyes win, then the artists is restricted by having to give this pokemon compound-looking eyes. Snow Warning is a similar dilemna. Im not sure how a speedy, powerful Bug can create a snowstorm, but it must be considered if the ability wins. Therefore, "Shiver" as the name of the Ice Shell ability makes the most sense, if appearences are to be done after the ability.

I dunno compoundeyes seems way too generous to me to be on it. I like the idea of Ice Absorb actually, because this pokemon was meant to hold a life orb, and ice attacks are probably the most common in the metagame. It's a great way for it to be able to switch in and have more surviveability. Ice Shell would be my second choice

Shiver works. It's just that that was the suggested name for a completely different ability, but if you think it'd be easier in terms of art, sure. I didn't think Compound Eyes would be a problem, since all you'd have to do is draw lines through the eyes of the pokemon.

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Pretty much, it would be good for its typing though. 3 layers of spikes and Stealth Rocks = gg half the time.

Ice shell, so many teams run SR/Spikes/Toxic spikes it would be a shame for our baby to simply be "poked to death" before even entering the battle...

But obviously two abilities would be ideal..and a little more unpredictable!
...Ben

snow warning plz because blizzard would have 100% also making hail teams come close to rivaling if not beating sand

also to negate focus sash leads would be nice

So since Ice Shell nuetralizes all damage upon entering battle, you could switch into a Heatran, Flash Fire, Sunny Day Specs Overheat and take no damage. That sounds like a great ability.

So since Ice Shell nuetralizes all damage upon entering battle, you could switch into a Heatran, Flash Fire, Sunny Day Specs Overheat and take no damage. That sounds like a great ability.
Oh sweet merciful god no, then that would be broken as fuck. Let's keep it for only SR, Spike, TS for the time being.

Edit: Beaten

Oh shit, the way I phrased the description certainly makes it sound that way, doesn't it? *Fixing*

That'd be a really cool ability though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)