CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Poll 7, part 3

What will be the art design of our new pokemon?

• CyzirVisheen

Votes: 134 56.8%
  • just some chick

Votes: 102 43.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
So it can look as though it CAN Earthquake. Atm, that thing does not look like something that can cause massive shock waves by stomping/slamming.

Also, I can't see this thing causing an Earthquake...
Exactly. What's it going to do, fall on the ground?

Ehh, movesets are so difficult. I haven't had time to look at all of them yet, so making the next poll (which will probably be done tomorrow) is going to be a real bitch. But I still like my idea. From what I understand though, Jibaku and Deck Knight have the right idea.

Anyway, these are going to be the options for what you don't want to see, to prevent this guy from being too over powered:

• Earthquake
  • Earth Power
  • Flamethrower
  • Fire Punch
  • Shock Wave
  • Thunderpunch
  • Stone Edge
  • Close Combat
As far as I can tell, these are all valid moves for this pokemon, and all feature special and physical variants of the same attack. What do you guys think? What should be added/taken away? I'm not concerned with level-up moves at this point. And keep in mind that Hidden Power is a viable option.

You forgot PULSE BOMBOMB. And wtf, Flamethrower/Fire Punch?

The original and DJD's sprite have the least Metang-like arms of all of them. Stop making them polygonal and focus on round shapes.

Works for Ho-oh.

It looks good, and I can see EQ, both fire attacks, and Stone Edge going away. But then again, if Infernape can earthquake, why can't this guy?

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
We just don't want this thing having an uber huge movepool. :/

Ehh, movesets are so difficult. I haven't had time to look at all of them yet, so making the next poll (which will probably be done tomorrow) is going to be a real bitch. But I still like my idea. From what I understand though, Jibaku and Deck Knight have the right idea.

Anyway, these are going to be the options for what you don't want to see, to prevent this guy from being too over powered:

• Earthquake - No
  • Earth Power - No
  • Flamethrower - No
  • Fire Punch - No
  • Shock Wave - Yes
  • Thunderpunch - Yes
  • Stone Edge - Maybe
  • Close Combat - Yes
As far as I can tell, these are all valid moves for this pokemon, and all feature special and physical variants of the same attack. What do you guys think? What should be added/taken away? I'm not concerned with level-up moves at this point. And keep in mind that Hidden Power is a viable option.
My thoughts.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Cooper, I would add Thunder / Thunderbolt to that list personly. Other than that, how are you going to work out which moves will be ommited? Is it going to be something like any move with X% of the vote + is out, or the highest 5, or something else?

And wtf, Flamethrower/Fire Punch?
Steels say poo on you to Ice and Bug STABs. People are defending Skarmory and Gyarados but completely forget Forretress and Scizor.

I'd also like to say that I see Shock Wave being much more of a threat than Thunderpunch in the current metagame. Skarmory is a physical tank and Gyarados packs 172 EVs into Defense (as I recall). However, Skarmory has shit Sp. Defense and Gyarados, even with its 100 base, can't take much in the way of a special hit.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
As long as this thing isn't tremendously broken, I'm fine.

Sunday

Thanks Lawman :)

How are you going to work out which moves will be ommited? Is it going to be something like any move with X% of the vote + is out, or the highest 5, or something else?

Maybe in the poll there will be a clear percentage gap between the moves, which would make it easier to define a cut-off point.

It shouldn't get any fire moves at all. Why would it?

I don't see why it should get earthquake. Mud-Bomb could work. The description works.

Besides two pure normal types, the only pokes that get Close Combat are Fighting types. Cross Chop is at least learned by Pure Fire, Electric and Water. I think Cross Chop would be a better choice.

It should also get Ice Shard.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I love this pose. I can see it zooming around like its on a unicyce.

Anyways, to Deck Knight, wierder things have happened. I don't want Thunderbolt or Thunder on this. But Zap Cannon and Shock Wave are both moves that fit this. Shock Wave is clearly static electricity, which this has a lot of.

also, are you apposed to Earthquake on this? Because Earthquake allows it to hit Rocks, Steels, and Fire types SE, 3 types which it is weak to. I would think that would be much more overpowering than giving it an Electric move.
The most common rocks are already either weak to Ice Beam/Blizzard or in TTar's case, Bug Buzz/X-Scissor, the most common Steel types are Skarmory, Bronzong, Foretress, and Steelix, the first two of which are immune to EQ, the second takes nearly no damage, and the last eats unSTABbed EQs for breakfast anyway. Regirock in Sandstorm gives this a mightly LOL with or without EQ. The only fire types really seen around are Infernape, Charizard, Magmortar, and Heatran. Heatran is usually scarfed, Magmortar would probably be KO'd if this had LO(unboosted wouldn't) but it would be suicide for this to switch in, Charizard is immune to EQ, and a slightly defensive ape might be able to take it. Arcanine has Intimidate and basically tells this to buzz off if it knows what's good for it.

That's why EQ was negotioable for me. EQ is only really scary when it's boosted or has STAB, and even though it theoretically counters its weaknesses with EQ, the actual case is that EQ would be less effectual that it's STAB Ice or Bug move.

Stone Edge is similar to EQ, in that Ice Beam takes out most of what Stone Edge would.

EQ and Stone Edge don't really offer that much more coverage over what has already been discussed. Thunderbolt on the other hand allows it to slaughter Skarmory and Bulky Waters with reckless abandon. Zap Cannon is a compromise I could live with I suppose.

Given the generally agreed upon movepool this already has 4 moveslot syndrome, so adding these physical options would simply make for a less predictable mixed set.

I do not think that this should get Thunderbolt, but rather Zap Cannon. With the prospects of Compound Eyes, I think it could be kind of neat. It does not need a fire attack, whatsoever. I *strongly* think that this should get Attack Order, not Megahorn. Attack Order for the win.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I updated the sprite I posted earlier to include some of the head details Cyzir did in his latest WIP sprites. I changed the eyes a bit to include the eyelid features of his drawing. The eyes in his WIP sprites look a little vacant. I also changed the arms to have a little more heft, but not be Metang clones. I like them better than the first. Overall, I tried to take out a lot of the "outline-ish" look of the sprite. That's characteristic of GSC sprites, as several people have mentioned the earlier post resembled. It still looks GSC-ish, but not as much.

I'm posting these with the hopes that it will help Cyzir and others make a better overall sprite, so I'm not too concerned about this particular sprite per se. After seeing Cyzir's WIP sprite, I think he's onto something very promising...

Old Sprite:

New Sprite:

Sunday

I like the sprite, Doug, but the head area seems a tad undefined to me. Some stronger lines in that area and it would be near-perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)