CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Poll 11

Whose art will we use for the Syclant sprite?

• KingofAnime - KoA

Votes: 128 57.7%
  • CyzirVisheen

Votes: 84 37.8%
  • DougJustDoug

Votes: 10 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Koa's by far has the best pose and animation, but his along with Cyzir's have bad outlines (too light for a Pokemon with a light colour scheme lacking contrast), so I'll have to vote for Doug's because his seems to look the most professional. But I'd vote for Koa's if not for the outline... there's just too much on Cyzir's for me, it's too complicated.

Imo, the Pokemon statistically is overkill.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Ohnoes, I missed another poll. :(

In the spirit of competition and because I respect the entrants, I will not be voting in this one.

It seems to me that no matter how it goes, I'll be fine with the winner and at the very least, I got an ass load of experience in pokemoning. (This was my first scratch pokemon sprite)

You can always count on me to be an active member in the next future polls though. :)

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Damn, I don't stand a chance. Well, in my defense, I've only started spriting recently, so I'm still pretty new at this. Oh well, no point in trying to finish it... However, I have to request a few things from KoA... Firstly, could you darken the outline of the pokemon, specifically the arm and shoulder areas. They need to stick out more. Secondly, could you make the horn less fin-like. That's one of the things that has been irking me about your redesign. Thirdly, could you fix the wings. This has been bothering me the most out of your redesign. The bottom pair don't bother me that much (but I'd still like that cross on the bottom crystal), but the top pair is not how I designed it. Here's a sketch of how I envisioned it:

Other than those quibbles, I really liked it.

KoA

is an Artist
Sorry, I didn't mean to make you sad with my sprite. :(

I'd be a filthy fucker if I didn't fix the sprite upon winning. I wanna show my respect to you in any way I can.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Nah, don't worry about it. I don't have much experience in spriting anyways. Hell, I only started a couple weeks ago :P.

KoA

is an Artist
Well, I'mma say, you are definitely better than me when I first started. :(

EDIT: Also, what did you mean by the horn? I'm unsure a bit by what you mean.

Cyzir, you did a pretty good job for someone being inexperienced. I voted for you btw, it was not an easy vote I have to admit.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I feel really bad for Doug ... I'm sorry, man. These votes do not, at all, reflect how we like your sprite.
No apologies required. This isn't a scoring of quality, it's a vote on people's favorite. I really like the other two sprites, and I've said that from the beginning.

I've been doing art for quite a while. As such, I'm very familiar with the "Artist's Dilemma" -- you have to show your stuff, but you can't be driven by other's opinions. If you do that, you really aren't following your muse. I worked up this sprite because I like it. If other people like it, that's nice, but not required for me to feel good about the work.

I think all three sprites are high-quality. Unlike some of the entrants in the design art competition, some of which were not very good, IMO. But art is so incredibly subjective, it's really hard to define "good" and "bad".

Thanks for the kind words, but it's not necessary. I wouldn't have posted my stuff if I couldn't handle hearing what people think about it.

KoA

is an Artist
Oh, alright. It just confused me a bit when you said finlike, because I was imagining fish.

KoA

is an Artist
It was getting kind of hard to tell my posts apart from many others due to the multiple Syclant avatars lol.

I changed mine into some other sprite I made last year. :/

Also, if this does incorporated into Shoddy/Competitior, that would be infinitely awesome.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
IMO ww try and set up a shoddy server named "Syclant Mod" where Syclant is a useable Pokemon. I'm sure we'd all ahve a ball there!

Next one should be:

Ice/Electric: SPecial sweeper. Ice, electric to resist Bolt beam, but other then that, weak defensive typing

Normal/Ghost:Mixed wall. Breaks up ghost/fighting combos.. Small amount of weaknesses after that.

Dragon/Bug: <_<

Rotom Evo:yay for super powerful special sweeper.

Drifblim evo: Hindenburg Evo ^_^. Do it now.

Banette evo: Dusclops got one, it eserves on too

Farfetche'd Evo: You know you want one. It's been way to long, and he deserves one

Male Kangaskhan: Might be fun

Ditto evo: Lets make it NOT a peice of crap

Dunsparce evo: He's due for 1

Qwilfish evo: I really didn't even know about this thing for a while

Swalot Evo: Fat lard ftw

Ms. Mime: OBviously

Relicanth: Super powerful.

Mawile Evo: Lets make him beat Registeel

Surskit alt. Evo: Let him keep his typing. It's his only redeeming factor

Luvdisc evo: So awesome

^thats about every thing that would be usful

EDIT: Also I voted for Cyzir, I didn't like the stance KOA's was in. If it was switched around, then I'd like it better. But thats just me. It really dosn't matter too much though.

KoA

is an Artist
Eh, let's not jump the gun. That was our bane in the last poll. For now, only focus on Syclant.

Sunday

No. God no. As KoA said, focus on Syclant for now. It would be a huge mistake for us to go making a whole bunch of these strait off the bat. We need to wait quite a while after this one is finished first, and we also need to get feedback from Nintendo. For now, everyone please file all further ideas away until such time as it is appropriate to concider them.

Cyzer looks kinda like a Red/Blue/Yellow Sprite
Doug looks more like a Gold/Silver Sprite
Anime looks like more of a Diamond/Pearl sprite

am I the only one that thinks this? I honestly love them all but for the Gen we are in I voted for Anime's

Sunday

Cyzer looks kinda like a Red/Blue/Yellow Sprite
Doug looks more like a Gold/Silver Sprite
Anime looks like more of a Diamond/Pearl sprite

am I the only one that thinks this? I honestly love them all but for the Gen we are in I voted for Anime's
Dude, did you see the very first sprite presented by doug? Now THAT was a RBY sprite.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just remember, for whoever runs it, to not put Ice or Bug in the running. No reason to for a repeated typing on only our second creation.
please, please, please do NOT do this there are many ice/something pokemon that will be very good e.g. ice/electric, ice/dragon and many cool bugs e.g. bug/water, bug/fire, bug/ground just because they share 1 type does not mean we should not guve them a chance, people will not vote for another bug/ice.

please, please, please do NOT do this there are many ice/something pokemon that will be very good e.g. ice/electric, ice/dragon and many cool bugs e.g. bug/water, bug/fire, bug/ground just because they share 1 type does not mean we should not guve them a chance, people will not vote for another bug/ice.
You didn't read my post.... I said that it is necessary to do this, because we need to balance out our new pokemon with bad pokemon. Nintendo created Heatran for a reason: it's awesome sweeping ability is balanced by its 4x weakness to Earthquake, the most common attack in the game (not including HP). That's something we need to keep in mind in the future, that we need to make bad pokemon too if Nintendo is going to take us seriously. Otherwise we'll be no different from the people creating 150/ 200/ 25/ 0/ 25/ 200 pokemon with Levitate and Steel/Dragon typing.

KoA

is an Artist
Levitate is like the most whored ability for fan-created pokemon. ;_;

Especially on pokemon with some ridiculous typing that practically requires ground moves to take them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)