Gen 2 (Warstory) I’m Not All Stall!

Karrot

plant
is a Past WCoP Champion
Written: 01/03/08

I’ve nothing better to do today, and so I’ve decided, “How about I write my first warstory?” This is a match between two rather old school battlers. Enjoy!

Battle Log:
Battle Mode: Gold/Silver/Crystal
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Freeze Clause
Rule: Self-KO Clause
Rule: Apply PP Ups
Rule: Battle Timeout
Rule: Unrated
Rule: Use Stadium Present
Pocket vs Kingra. Begin!
Pocket sent out Raikou (Lv.100 Raikou)!
Kingra sent out Gengar (Lv.100 Gengar)!

Right off the bat, I’m matched at a disadvantage. Playing the first defensive move in the game is always bad news. Oh well; I swap to Gligar to take a soft *crunch.*

Turn 2 comes along and my Gligar Earthquakes a Starmie for roughly 33%. Starmie made a predictable move by casting forth Reflect to soften my physical hits as I swapped for Hypno. Now, here, I stopped to think:

1. What are the chances that Starmie has Psychic as an attack move?
I’d had to say the chances are pretty low. I know for a fact that Pocket is a rather conservative player. I am highly sure that this Starmie has Rapid Spin/Reflect/Recover/Surf.

2. What is Reflect Starmie usually paired with?
It’s always paired with a strong attacker, which is usually Drumlax or Drumfable or something of the sort. Now, I’m pretty confident that Pocket’s team is rather standard (unlike mine :p), from the two Pokemon I’ve seen so far. I may be wrong, though, but I am willing to base my entire game plan on these two assumptions.

Anyways, let’s get back to game. I go for the paralysis on whatever Pocket feels like bringing in:

Begin Turn #4
Pocket withdrew Star!
Pocket sent out Raikou (Lv.100 Raikou)!
---------------------------------
Hypno used Thunder Wave!
Raikou is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
End of turn #4
Pocket's Raikou: 100% HP (Par)
Kingra's Hypno: 373 HP

Score! Raikou is at full health, and since my team does not carry spikes, it will be impossible to recover paralysis until I deal damage. This means Raikou will have a lot of trouble walling the way it should, which is a great advantage for me.

Next turn, I set up Light Screen as Raikou Crunches (and gets a random special defense down!), dealing very little damage. I switch back to Gligar as Raikou is fully paralyzed. From here, a short switcheroo happens as both Pocket and I try to get the advantage in position. This happens for several turns, with match ups such as Pocket’s Snorlax (nicknamed Snow, for future reference) and my Gengar, Pocket’s Raikou and my Donphan, Pocket’s Gengar and my Electabuzz, Pocket’s Exeggutor and my Donphan, and so forth.

Teams so far:
Pocket: Raikou/Starmie/Exeggutor/Gengar/Snorlax/???
Kingra (me): Gengar/Gligar/Electabuzz/Hypno/Donphan/???

Nothing particularly interesting happens, but my Donphan Earthquakes Starmie as it switches in. This reanimates the first few turns of battle in which we exchange Reflect and Light Screen. Pocket overpredicts my switch-in, sending in Exeggutor when the familiar Raikou vs. Hypno match up triggers.

Begin Turn #16
Pocket withdrew Raikou!
Pocket sent out Exeggutor (Lv.100 Exeggutor)!
Kingra withdrew Hypno!
Kingra sent out Gligar (Lv.100 Gligar)!
Gligar's Leftovers restored its HP a little!
Exeggutor's Leftovers restored its HP a little!
End of turn #16
Pocket's Exeggutor: 91% HP
Kingra's Gligar: 323 HP

I’m still at the advantage, however, with my sleeptalking Gligar and Light Screen protection. I Wing Attack as Snorlax enters. One of the most interesting turns in the game occurs.

Begin Turn #18
Gligar used Earthquake!
(47% damage)
A critical hit!
Snow used Belly Drum!
But it failed!
Snow's Leftovers restored its HP a little!
End of turn #18
Pocket's Snow: 51% HP
Kingra's Gligar: 333 HP

I was right about the Drumlax he might carry, but…damn! I don’t know what Pocket’s logic behind this was, but if Gligar hadn’t CHed it would have left him with a 20% HP Snorlax. Instead, fatty gets a +2 from the failed Belly Drum. I try desperately to bring the “Relaxo” down.

Begin Turn #19
Gligar used Earthquake!
(24% damage)
Snow used Return!
(247 damage)
Kingra's team's Light Screen wore off!
End of turn #19
Pocket's Snow: 33% HP
Kingra's Gligar: 107 HP

Lolwtut07 has started watching. <-- (Spectator ^__^)

Begin Turn #20
Kingra withdrew Gligar!
Kingra sent out Donphan (Lv.100 Donphan)!
Snow used Return!
(210 damage)
Donphan's Leftovers restored its HP a little!
End of turn #20
Pocket's Snow: 40% HP
Kingra's Donphan: 151 HP

Begin Turn #21
Donphan used Earthquake!
(33% damage)
Snow used Return!
(151 damage)
Donphan fainted!
End of turn #21
Pocket's Snow: 13% HP
Kingra's Gengar: 323 HP

Pocket leads: 6-5

…and I manage to bring it down to 13% at the cost of Donphan. However, now it is in range of Gengar’s Thunderbolt. I know he’ll switch, so I Ice Punch as Raikou comes in, forcing it into range of my Explosion… This is all meaningless, however, as I make probably the biggest mistake in the game.

Begin Turn #23
Pocket withdrew Raikou!
Pocket sent out Snow (Lv.100 Snorlax)!
Gengar used Mean Look!
Snow can't escape now!
End of turn #23
Pocket's Snow: 19% HP

I hit the wrong target. It’s still without Thunderbolt range, but the chances are low…I T-bolt it for merely 15% as it Rests. My Donphan’s death suddenly becomes meaningless and I am left with no advantage.

Begin Turn #24
Gengar used Thunderbolt!
(15% damage)
Snow used Rest!
Snow went to sleep!
End of turn #24
Pocket's Snow: 100% HP (Slp)

I decide to send out my last unveiled Pokemon in attempt to recover from this mistake, Vaporeon, as fatty Rests. My faithful Vaporeon is the ultimate sweeper if a certain something on Pocket’s team falls… I Growth as Gengar comes in, and make my SECOND mistake:

Begin Turn #27
Gengar used Hypnosis!
Vaporeon fell asleep!
Vaporeon is fast asleep.
End of turn #27
Pocket's Gengar: 100% HP
Kingra's Vaporeon: 463 HP (Slp)

I had no idea what to expect, and I had left Vaporeon in so I could try my luck at a powerful +1 Surf. Now that I know Gengar can Hypnosis, I realize wasn’t worth it. I can still win, though. I have the Pokemon to do it!

I have no other option, now, but to switch to Hypno for more screens as Pocket’s Eggy enters the fray. I Reflect as Snorlax reenters, and immediately switch to Electabuzz as it continues to sleep, Cross Chopping the incoming Raikou in attempt to keep it in my Gengar’s Explosion range. I pray that it is will fully paralyze, for all the luck I’ve had this match, as I switch in Gligar. Nope.

Begin Turn #32
Kingra withdrew Electabuzz!
Raikou used Rest!
Raikou went to sleep!
End of turn #32
Pocket's Raikou: 100% HP (Slp)
Kingra's Gligar: 128 HP

Ugh. I lost another advantage. I am still certain I can win, though!

More switching occurs between Starmie and my Electabuzz as it attempts to bash Raikou with a large Thunders, until I eventually go back to Hypno for more screens. I do favor the fact that my Hypno has barely been touched, even though it can’t recover except via Leftovers. It proves that not everything in GSC needs to Rest to last forever!

I Light Screen as Raikou Sleep Talks a Rest at full HP, and Reflect as Snorlax enters the fray once again.

Begin Turn #40
Hypno used Psychic!
(16% damage)
Snow's Special Defense fell!
Snow woke up!
Snow used Belly Drum!
Snow cut its own HP and maximied Attack! (Just if you’re wondering, Netbattle spelled “maximized” wrong!)
End of turn #40
Pocket's Snow: 40% HP
Kingra's Hypno: 373 HP

Shit. Luckily for me, that sp. defense fall was very well placed. I get a little pity from God at last. I Psychic again, knocking fatty into Psychic’s -1 KO range at the price of a badly damaged Hypno. (<3 Reflect!)

Begin Turn #41
Hypno used Psychic!
(24% damage)
Snow used Return!
(251 damage)
Hypno's Leftovers restored its HP a little!
End of turn #41
Pocket's Snow: 22% HP
Kingra's Hypno: 145 HP

He switches to Eggy to absorb the Psychic. As I attempt to T-Wave, Raikou shows its ugly face again. (Well, at least I get Leftovers recovery!) I use the opportunity to set up another Light Screen, but I am outsmarted by Pocket as he brings Snorlax. Whatever, I say, as this is the perfect opportunity to bring in Gengar.

Begin Turn #45
Kingra withdrew Hypno!
Snow used Rest!
Snow went to sleep!
End of turn #45

I predict Raikou, Mean Looking it. It’s a trap!

I Ice Punch it once, bringing it into Explosion range, then…kaboom!

Begin Turn #48
Raikou woke up!
Raikou used Thunder!
Raikou's attack missed!
Gengar used Explosion!
(87% damage)
Raikou fainted!
Gengar fainted!

Pocket leads: 5-4

Pocket sent out Machamp (Lv.100 Machamp)!
Kingra sent out Electabuzz (Lv.100 Electabuzz)!
End of turn #48
Pocket's Machamp: 100% HP
Kingra's Electabuzz: 333 HP

Pocket reveals his last Pokemon, a Machamp. I play it smart by leaving Electabuzz, knowing Machamp cannot KO it unless it CHes, and I get lucky, my Thunder paralyzing it, leaving it crippled and unable to move.

For the next several turns, the battle is “standard GSC.” In other words, we switch, fire off attacks whenever we can, switch out, rinse and repeat. During these turns, I waste a lot of Electabuzz’s Thunder PP attempting to fell Machamp (whom is, by the way, the slightly crazy kind that talks in their sleep). My Thunder misses 8 million times as Pocket’s Machamp fails to Sleep Talk anything but Rest. =\

At one time during this switch war, Pocket gets a clear shot at Belly Drumming against my Resting Gligar and taking down one of my pokes, but doesn’t. I take note of that, and that he may be waiting for the time when his Belly Drum sweep will be flawless. Eventually, it’s Buzz vs. Machamp again, and my Thunder misses AGAIN, as I take heavy damage from Cross Chop. -_-

Begin Turn #82
Electabuzz used Thunder!
Electabuzz's attack missed!
Machamp is fast asleep.
Machamp used Sleep Talk!
Machamp used Cross Chop!
(206 damage)
Electabuzz's Leftovers restored its HP a little!
Machamp's Leftovers restored its HP a little!
End of turn #82
Pocket's Machamp: 74% HP (Slp)
Kingra's Electabuzz: 65 HP

Pocket attempts to outpredict me, sending in his paralyzed Snorlax against my Buzz, then switching to Gengar as I “predict” and Cross Chop his Gengar. I shoot another Thunder, which, AGAIN(!!!) misses!

Begin Turn #85
Gengar used Hidden Power!
(74 damage)
Electabuzz used Thunder!
Electabuzz's attack missed!
End of turn #85
Kingra's Electabuzz: 54 HP

Kingra: blargh

I retreat and save Buzz for later, bringing in Hypno to take whatever the hell that Hidden Power is.

Again, a switch war ensues. It’s not long, though, until something intriguing happens:

Begin Turn #94
Kingra withdrew Vaporeon!
Gengar used Thunder!
Gengar's attack missed!
End of turn #94
Kingra's Gligar: 222 HP

Begin Turn #95
Pocket withdrew Gengar!
Pocket sent out Star (Lv.100 Starmie)!
Kingra withdrew Gligar!
Kingra sent out Hypno (Lv.100 Hypno)!
Star's Leftovers restored its HP a little!
End of turn #95
Pocket's Star: 83% HP
Kingra's Hypno: 163 HP

Good, so I know his Gengar cannot Ice Punch, meaning I am free to switch it in whenever I want. I just wish my Vaporeon wasn’t the one sleeping to it.

Old rivals Starmie and Hypno are out again, so I set up both a Light Screen and a Reflect and eventually get my low health Electabuzz inn against Starmie. Here, Pocket miscalculates, forgetting I have Light Screen up, and suffers the consequences as Thunder FINALLY hits at the right time and sends the gem back to the refinery.

Begin Turn #100
Star used Surf!
(63 damage)
Electabuzz used Thunder!
(89% damage)
It's super effective!
Star fainted!

Pocket: o shit
Pocket: light screen x_x
Kingra: !
Pocket sent out Gengar (Lv.100 Gengar)!
End of turn #100
Kingra's Electabuzz: 33 HP

Kingra: I ran it in the calc first :x

Tie: 4-4

My Electabuzz is barely alive, but I don’t feel like sacrificing it yet! I switch in my newfound Gengar counter, Gligar, Earthquaking the incoming Snorlax to 76%. It’s still paralyzed, so I prey for some luck. I get it, CHing Snorlax to low health!

…Too bad it Rests.

I take this moment to send out Electabuzz, whom only has 2 Thunders left to spare. I mispredict as Snorlax stays in against Electabuzz to take an Ice Punch. I Cross Chop it as it wakes up, leaving it at 64% for my Gligar. Rest in peace, Electabuzz.

Pocket leads: 4-3

Vaporeon, oh Vaporeon…why haven’t you done anything?

More “standard GSC” occurs. Eventually, Hypno is out against Snorlax, Reflecting while it sleeps. Then, Snorlax finally does the expected but unexpected:

Begin Turn #111
Hypno used Psychic!
(15% damage)
Snow woke up!
Snow used Belly Drum!
Snow cut its own HP and maximied Attack!
End of turn #111
Pocket's Snow: 41% HP
Kingra's Hypno: 200 HP

… :( I have literally no offense to take it down. I can still get lucky with a paralysis, though. Maybe!

Begin Turn #112
Hypno used Thunder Wave!
Snow is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
Snow used Return!
(200 damage)
Hypno fainted!
End of turn #112
Pocket's Snow: 47% HP (Par)
Kingra's Gligar: 261 HP

Or not.

Pocket leads: 4-2

I send out Gligar for an Earthquake. For the love of God, fully paralyze!!!

Begin Turn #113
Gligar used Earthquake!
(25% damage)
Snow used Rest!
Snow went to sleep!
End of turn #113
Kingra's Gligar: 282 HP

Nope. After sleeping a bit, Snorlax downs Gligar in one fell swoop.

Pocket leads: 4-1

I send out my Vaporeon, who has been sleeping the entire game. Wake up, so I can acknowledge you did something!

Begin Turn #117
Vaporeon is fast asleep.
Snow used Return!
(463 damage)
Vaporeon fainted!

Meh.

End Battle! Pocket wins!
Score: 4 to 0

Good game, Pocket. You outplayed the most offensive GSC team I will ever make.

You might want to edit out the FONT tags. Also, where's my mention in your story??? Also, shame on you Kingra, no props and slops?! Nevertheless, it was a good game. It's too bad that you lost; what happend to the Victreebel sweep one? I really liked that one :)

Karrot

plant
is a Past WCoP Champion
If you really want, I will post that one, too, as both were really great games. Also, I was ahead of you about the font tags. :) Notepad CPing to Microsoft Word really sucks.

No props and slops because, well, there were none, tbh. Well, except when I let Vappy fall asleep. I guess that's a HUGE slop. And Electabuzz's luck, too. I wasted 14 Thunders, 9 of which missed.

GreenPikachu

pumpkin pieco
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
pretty good battle.

also, just a note, but if you two are considered old school, im not sure i want to know what i would be considered.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I am surprised to see this battle being written into a warstory instead of the battle with Victreebel, but it was still a great read!

I have made three huge mistakes, too, and I should’ve lost except I was very lucky in the battle. The first huge mistake is when Gligar CHs its EQ while Lax’s BDrum “fails”. I forgot that Starmie’s Reflect vanished in the previous turn(s)! Even with the Reflect, BDrumming was a risky move, leaving only 13% after it absorbs an EQ and takes down Gligar. I must have really wanted to dispatch those grounds that wall my Raikou, heh!

My second major mistake was letting Lax survive and Raikou to die in Gengar’s kamikaze mission. You had Vaporeon, but it was asleep (yay!), and Gligar and Hypno provided opportunities for Lax to BDrum. I caught on to your intention of fainting Raikou with Gengar, but Lax’s capability to sweep won me over, especially when I contrasted Raikou’s sweeping capabilities against one (sleep talking!) Ground supported by Hypno’s T-Wave and Light Screen.

But then Electabuzz! The CurseTalking Champ I used barely survived through Electabuzz’s assaults, and it needed timely misses and Sleep Talking Rests to do this. However, having Sleep Talk choose Rest in the two turns that Machamp is alive is not THAT improbable (66%, right?) and Thunder missing in the three turns needed for knocking out Machamp is not THAT improbable either (90% for it to happen). I was still a fool to think that Machamp could prevent Buzz from breaking in. Additionally, 9 of your 14 Thunder missed, saving Machamp, Lax, and Gengar’s health, which I believe is the only way my team past through Buzz without being on a desperate defensive and getting crippled. Despite recognizing your Electabuzz as active and devastating, I complied with your plan and let Raikou go, and this is the greatest mistake where I played poorly, and in consequence, should have lost the match.

The third mistake: Starmie dies because I forgot this time that your Hypno’s Light Screen was up, preventing a kill on Buzz.

All in all, I think you played better than me, and thus should have won. If it wasn’t for those Thunder misses you probably had the match. You also had a solid plan, which would have worked if it wasn't for my Gengar's unpredictable Hypnosis sleeping your ultimate sweeper. In the other hand, I wasn't putting much thought and time into my moves as I ought to, using gut feelings to decide between choices that were game-breaking. Remembering whether Reflect was up when I BDrummed Lax and whether Light Screen was up to save Electabuzz are two embarrassing examples. Such carelessness should have stripped my chance of winning that match. More importantly, however, I didn't bother looking up whether Gengar's Explosion kills Raikou or not - I assumed that it was an OHKO - which was dumb of me, because I could have saved Raikou and possibly bring it back to wall Buzz again. If I played this smart, at the level you were playing, then my win would have actually worthed something desirable. I still <3 this game for some rather undeserved Lax action, though xP.

I hope you weren't discouraged because of this match, cuz I really liked this team, and I enjoyed playing against it. Beating this team, albeit with some good fortune to compensate for my mistakes, meant a good deal to me. Keep working at this team, and GG!

Can't say I am in love with your team's synergy to be honest it seems to lack that killer edge I like from most of my offensive teams. Although it is always cool to see people trying to be more offensive, I still am a big believer that Marowak can destroy any stall team if you have good timing, and thus Waky is a staple in my run and gun offense teams.

A good effort, I'll grant you, but I think your team just had too many flaws (and a few bad breaks) to overcome bog.

Karrot

plant
is a Past WCoP Champion
Thanks for responding, everyone! I'll reply to posts directly addressed towards me, now:
Very long post!
Haha. I can't say I wasn't doomed from the start, though. Drumlax gets an easy set up on a lot of my pokes, so, what can I say?

And, no, you didn't discourage me at all! In fact, I made some pretty prodigious changes to my team last night.

Can't say I am in love with your team's synergy to be honest it seems to lack that killer edge I like from most of my offensive teams. Although it is always cool to see people trying to be more offensive, I still am a big believer that Marowak can destroy any stall team if you have good timing, and thus Waky is a staple in my run and gun offense teams.

A good effort, I'll grant you, but I think your team just had too many flaws (and a few bad breaks) to overcome bog.
I couldn't agree anymore. Yesterday, after I posted this warstory, I did a little fine-tuning with this team. I noticed when I was writing this that Gligar and Donphan were actually slowing the team down rather than supporting its core strategy. Basically, all they did was stall and bring more opportunities for my opponent. Forretress (Curse/Explosion/HP: Bug/Spikes) has now replaced Donphan to fulfill the role of a sort of Drum/Curselax without Fire Blast counter and secondary Explosion, not to mention the added bonus of spikes to help Gengar's suicide mission on opposing electrics. Marowak (Earthquake/Rock Slide/Rest/Sleep Talk) has replaced Gligar as a Sleeptalker, ridding me of a horrible Zapdos weakness that was omnipresent in the original team and providing a backup sweeper and a way for my opponent to bring in non-electric counters for my new sweeper, Tentacruel (Hydro Pump/Sludge Bomb/Substitute/Swords Dance).

Actually, this set up makes me slightly more vulnerable to Nidoking, but that shouldn't be hard to play around, right?

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yea, you're right about having trouble handling Bellylax.. Gligar and Donphan were hard hitters, but Marowak and Forretress really provide hits that break the opposing team and its Belly / Curselax; Forretress also substitutes well for Gligar as a counter for EQ Heracross. Great improvement, Karrot =]. I'm not too sure if you had to remove Growtheon for Tentacruel, although Tentacruel does have its advantages (a more flexible sweeper that doesn't have to be saved till the end of the game; harder for Suicune to Stall and Phaze).

Actually, this set up makes me slightly more vulnerable to Nidoking, but that shouldn't be hard to play around, right?
I don't see how this is any more vulnerable than your previous version.

Blizzard/Thunderbolt.Earhquake/Fire blast or Lovely Kiss kind of destroys it. I'm guessing _THAT's_ why he siad his team was getting a bit nidoking weak. *sarcasm :/

Pocket

I don't know how his current line up could include Umbreon without losing its offensive edge or defense against Heracross / Machamp. I'm pretty sure that Hypno could switch into a Fire Blast aimed for Forretress or Ice Beam aimed for Marowak to come in and Psychic Nidoking or protect others with Screens. Vaporeon > Tentacruel would have provided some extra defense, though.

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
I don't know how his current line up could include Umbreon without losing its offensive edge or defense against Heracross / Machamp. I'm pretty sure that Hypno could switch into a Fire Blast aimed for Forretress or Ice Beam aimed for Marowak to come in and Psychic Nidoking or protect others with Screens. Vaporeon > Tentacruel would have provided some extra defense, though.
It was a sarcastic comment deriving from the fact that Umbreon is my favorite Pokemon.

cool war story. pictures are for babies!!

i liked the your thought processes; really made it interesting.

hope there's more to come (ie maybe advanced =D ?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)