CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Poll 14 (the ACTUAL last poll)

Ice Shell or Mountaineer?

• Ice Shell

Votes: 79 32.2%
  • Mountaineer

Votes: 166 67.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking of doing it the simple way and halving everything. But then again, that would make it moderately useful ingame.

For reference, these would be the stats:

35/ 58/ 35/ 57/ 32/ 60

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Mountaineer FTW. I think both abilities are very powerful, but Mountaineer has a more cohesive concept behind it. I think Mountaineer makes sense. If you are familiar with mountaineering, you can avoid being surprised by rocks. That statement, in its base form, makes sense. Sure you can nitpick with questions like "How does it enable you to avoid getting hurt when the sharp edge of a stone is smashed into your head?" I'll answer that with another question, "How does levitating allow you to avoid damage and effects of a jet of mud shot at you? How about a bomb made of mud?" It doesn't make sense. But the general concept of levitation making you ignore effects on the ground -- that simple concept makes sense. Unfortunately, type immunities are not move-specific. For example, Ninty wouldn't say, "Hey, let's make levitators still get smacked with mud attacks, losing accuracy and all that." No, it's ground immunity -- plain and simple. Mountaineer is immunity to surprise rock damage (ie switching in). That fits.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I was thinking of doing it the simple way and halving everything. But then again, that would make it moderately useful ingame.

For reference, these would be the stats:

35/ 58/ 35/ 57/ 32/ 60
Fortunately such a method does have in-game precedence.

Hariyama's Base stats are literally double of Makuhita's values.

Makuhita: 72/60/30/20/30/25

Hariyama: 144/120/60/40/60/50.

I voted Ice Shell just because this thing switching in on TTar is wierd. It also makes it an almost perfect Gyarados switchin (resists Ice+Ground, immune to Rock, not weak to anything else). I see how both abilities are broken and have their flaws, but Mountaineer has no real precedent in term of how much it effects this things ability to switch-in.

But thank you Cooper for making this poll. I don't care who wins, its just the formality that needs to be followed to keep this in the spirit of the entire idea.

And another thing. How does a shell of ice protect you from sharp and possibly poisonous spikes and floating pointy rocks. It doesn't make much sence if you ask me.
How does Beedrill, a flying insect type pokemon get hurt by spikes which are layed on the? How does Dodrio, a bird which can't fly but is classified as an Normal/Flying, not get hurt by stepping on some spikes? How the fuck Bannette and Dusknoir even get affected by fucking rocks, spikes, and a how bunch of shit in the first place when they're freaking ghost? Alot shit don't make alot of sense so saying that a shell of ice protecting you from rocks and shit isn't a good agruement point.

I ssy mountainer. Ice shell would be more useful IF he was a spinner, but seeing as his typing isn't the strongest defensvely, and on top of that its defences arn't great, he needs a easier way to get in there. Just about every physical sweeper uses Stone edge, while Special sweepers can atleast 2HKO with any attack that isn't a x2 resistance. The effect isn't broken, think of it as getting more mileage then Infernape can ever get.

Also, Since it's ice is ___ times harder then pokemon bones. It should be hard enough to protect it from Some pointy rocks

Voted mountaineer.
Both abilities are powerful, being immune to spikes and rocks or being immune to rock attacks for one turn makes it much easier to switch in. I think Mountaineer is a little weaker than Ice Shell though, so thats my reasoning for voting for mountaineer

Wait, would Ice Shell protect Syclant from the effects of Toxic Spikes on subsequent turns after it switched in?

Wait, would Ice Shell protect Syclant from the effects of Toxic Spikes on subsequent turns after it switched in?
From the wording, I surmise it would prevent the poisoning, so yes, Syclant wouldn't take toxic damage on subsequent turns (unless it was poisoned by something else, of course).

Cooper:

Thank you for the poll. I think it is now obvious that Mountaineer will win, but ti also shows that you were a fair and mature leader in letting us vote on it. Now that you have been vindicated, don't be an ass about it (not that you have, just dont).

Thank yuo for hearing us out AND letting the entire community decide. It was the right thing to do.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Voted mountaineer.

It was kinda my favorite of the suggested abilities, plus it can be adapted to any other future pokemon, should we make any.

Why can't Mountaineer just be Stealth Rock immunity again? That would make the most sense, and be the least broken. I mean, does Nintendo even realize the prevalence of Stealth Rock? If their tournaments aren't 6v6 OU, they never really see SR at all, so making something immune to it would be no biggie.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Why can't Mountaineer just be Stealth Rock immunity again? That would make the most sense, and be the least broken. I mean, does Nintendo even realize the prevalence of Stealth Rock? If their tournaments aren't 6v6 OU, they never really see SR at all, so making something immune to it would be no biggie.
To make an ability specifically targeted for one single move doesn't make sense. Competitively, it's viable. But, it's not like any other pokemon ability. Imagine an ability that didn't affect evasion in general, but specifically Double Team only. Who would make an ability like that? Someone who plays competitive battling Pokemon exclusively, that's who.

To target Stealth Rock as a specific move is just announcing that we really aren't making a general pokemon here. But instead, we are making a laser-precise tool to be used in the competitive Pokemon metagame. If we're going to do that, why are we bothering with pre-evos and dex entries? Let's just come up with some movesets and put it on Shoddy. We don't even need a sprite...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)