CAP 2 Smogon "Create a Pokemon" Part Deux: Poll 2

What should the type of our new Pokemon be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Add Fire/Grass!
Not needed, as the majority wanted Ghost to be the main type and we MUST work with Ghost/[something] only.

Oh well, I still hope Nintendo will create a Fire/Grass (either as a Cherrim evo or not) in the next generation >_> It's too amazing to not be added to the UU/OU metagame... and they'll probably make it somewhat cute (look at Cherubi and Cherrim), so the fanboys will be happy anyways.

A huge Overheat with great speed would be amazing for the Ghost/Fire.
Many things can come in on it, the least of which would be Gyarados, Blissey (immune to Shadow Ball too), Heatran or Flash Fire and it would be tough to get in with SR weak and assumed weak defenses.

Sounds like fun.
Actually, sounds like we need the second part second poll with Ghost/Norm, Fight, Grass, and Fire.

Tanking is not really an option here. Fire adds a ton of weaknesses to ghost, including earthquake, stone edge, and surf, while taking none away.

On a different note, let's make this a master of status, with toxic, will'o'wisp, curse, thunder wave, confuse ray, and hypnosis.

People who monopolise and a poll should not be placed in charge of it. This is supposed to be for Smogon to create a Pokemon, and yet you have more say than anyone else by immediately taking away the option of Levitate without even letting it get voted upon. I'm not saying it should have Levitate I just think you should stop thinking you know best when this poll should be for the Smogon communities decision.

Well, he's the guy in charge, and there ARE a lot of levitating ghosts. Restricting Levitate justs keeps the project on-task: creating a new and interesting pokemon.

Seriously, ghosts with Earthquake immunity are old hat.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
People who monopolise and a poll should not be placed in charge of it. This is supposed to be for Smogon to create a Pokemon, and yet you have more say than anyone else by immediately taking away the option of Levitate without even letting it get voted upon. I'm not saying it should have Levitate I just think you should stop thinking you know best when this poll should be for the Smogon communities decision.
yea, we should be able to chose for ourselves. i beleve that we at smogon are inteligant enough to avoid giveing it crazy stats + typeing + awsome ability/s. i dont think a ghost/steel w levitate is a good idea, and would vote against it, but it should be an option if the artwork fits.

hyra what do you think?

Well, he's the guy in charge, and there ARE a lot of levitating ghosts. Restricting Levitate justs keeps the project on-task: creating a new and interesting pokemon.

Seriously, ghosts with Earthquake immunity are old hat.
I'd say Rotom has a very unique design and has a few cool tricks up it's sleeve (Trick, Oldschool Death Star combo are the first things that come to mind. IIRC Rotom's shiny form is based off of a previous game by gamefreak. The name eludes me right now.) I wouldn't say it's at all like Gengar or Mismagius.

By restricting levitate you are saying that the majority of smogon cannot create a unique pokemon with levitate; that the majority of smogon is dumb/stupid/unintelligent.

I could somewhat understand the restriction of levitate if it was this was going to be a defensive powerhouse like Ghost/Steel, but who's to say that it's going to be a defensive powerhouse? Shouldn't people be able to see such brokenness ahead of time?

Even for a sweeper it's somewhat broken and overused. Gengar and Rotom get another immune, this one getting rid of an EQ weak, which gives them more chances to switch in. Mismagius, though not weak to it, really appreciates the immune to a primarily physical type. A Fire/Ghost with Levitate would definately have more opportunities to switch in, which can be both a good and bad thing. Levitate could make it near-Uber or be its saving grace. We'll just have to see what the spread will be first

Ghost/Fire would be the most balanced. I can also easily seen a Ghost/Fire type much more easily than a Ghost/Grass or a Ghost/Normal. And quote what Sanjay said above me. We don't want anything broken.

I'd say Rotom has a very unique design and has a few cool tricks up it's sleeve (Trick, Oldschool Death Star combo are the first things that come to mind. IIRC Rotom's shiny form is based off of a previous game by gamefreak. The name eludes me right now.) I wouldn't say it's at all like Gengar or Mismagius.

By restricting levitate you are saying that the majority of smogon cannot create a unique pokemon with levitate; that the majority of smogon is dumb/stupid/unintelligent.

I could somewhat understand the restriction of levitate if it was this was going to be a defensive powerhouse like Ghost/Steel, but who's to say that it's going to be a defensive powerhouse? Shouldn't people be able to see such brokenness ahead of time?
qft everyone's all like ZOMG 1337 UBER WALL WITH 120/120/120 DEFENCES!!!!1111!!!!11111

yea, we should be able to chose for ourselves. i beleve that we at smogon are inteligant enough to avoid giveing it crazy stats + typeing + awsome ability/s. i dont think a ghost/steel w levitate is a good idea, and would vote against it, but it should be an option if the artwork fits.

hyra what do you think?
I remember you saying Syclant is still too powerful. Also, remember everyone who wanted Magic Guard on him? Cooper nixed that. I'm doing the same here.

Hmm... to be quite honest I approve of the no Levitate thing because it's true... there are a lot of ghost pokemon that have levitate and it gets a tad bit old. So its nice to have a small restriction to keep, mainly, variety among the pokemon and stuff.

For the pokemon itself, I think I went with water. Though it seems fire might eventually win. Hmm... perhaps I should think about how a ghost/fire should look like. I have and idea sort of.

Lol, looks like Ghost/Steel still has a chance to get in the next pool.
Which is why I am leaving this poll open to the end, lol. Ghost/Steel is teetering there, and it's a valid and interesting choice. I might not like it, but that's none of my business.

Another reason for me not including Levitate is that it is one of the most common abilities, period. It is up there in the ranks of Pressure, Chlorophyll, and Swift Swim.

I remember you saying Syclant is still too powerful. Also, remember everyone who wanted Magic Guard on him? Cooper nixed that. I'm doing the same here.
I was about to quote eric on the same thing. Who's the one who wanted Magic Guard again?

However, I'm going to have to agree that Levitate is a pretty signature Ghost ability. Of all the Ghosts in the game (even the per-evos, but not Arceus), 7 out of 18 have it, and most of those remaining have Pressure. I agree with not including Levitate as an option for a Ghost/Steel, which would leave it with only one weakness, but on a Ghost/Fire, it has plenty of other weaknesses to balance it out. And with that typing, it's pretty much guaranteed to be a Gengar-like sweeper. Stick Levitate into the poll.

I think we need to start discussion on tier. Syclant may have been OU, but I don't think we want an entire dex of them. Rotom is UU, perhaps we should stick this guy there with it? Or BL perhaps, but we should get into the habit of not assuming every pokemon designed on smogon is meant for the metagame.

I think we need to start discussion on tier. Syclant may have been OU, but I don't think we want an entire dex of them. Rotom is UU, perhaps we should stick this guy there with it? Or BL perhaps, but we should get into the habit of not assuming every pokemon designed on smogon is meant for the metagame.
How can you place a non-existing pokemon into a tier? I find it kinda hard to place a fakemon in a tier without some way to know if it actually deserve it.

I was about to quote eric on the same thing. Who's the one who wanted Magic Guard again?

However, I'm going to have to agree that Levitate is a pretty signature Ghost ability. Of all the Ghosts in the game (even the per-evos, but not Arceus), 7 out of 18 have it, and most of those remaining have Pressure. I agree with not including Levitate as an option for a Ghost/Steel, which would leave it with only one weakness, but on a Ghost/Fire, it has plenty of other weaknesses to balance it out. And with that typing, it's pretty much guaranteed to be a Gengar-like sweeper. Stick Levitate into the poll.

Yes, I wanted Magic Guard until we determined the stats.

Even though Levitate might be a signature Ghost ability, we are trying to create NEW ORIGINAL pokemon. I feel Levitate is the most unoriginal ability out there. It's basically add a free Ground immunity to anything, which not everything needs. There were people who wanted Levitate on Syclant even though it resisted Ground already. I'm sorry but Levitate is the easy way out on abilities. It was novel in RSE, but now it isn't.

And to tier, people will vote for the BST they want. I'm already going to probably exclude anything above 545 BST. This is the start of a new generation. We need a few solid, average OU strength Pokemon (5-10) to start it out with. We can add in a trio (580 BST), the 600 BST legends, and the BL/UU Pokemon later. That is, unless people vote for a BL/UU Stat total this time.

Also, you can't exactly make a UU Pokemon. Heracross has some of the lowest Stat Totals in the game, yet it is still OU. UU is determined by usage, which we have been proven to inaccurately predict (Rhyperior/Tentacruel).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)