CAP 2 Smogon "Create a Pokemon" Part Deux: Poll 6b

What should our new Pokemon look like?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
To the people who voted mummy, why did you vote for it?

Was it how "Cool" it was? Because "coolness" should not be the factor. It should be how it is related to its typing/stats. Since when have bandages been super defensive and cause of fighting physical capabilities.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Now that my design is officially out of the running, I have a long tl;dr rant directed at the other artists, Tea and Blues and RockoTheTaco, in particular. Everybody else can skip this wall of text if you're not interested in hearing me bitch about those two. But, I hope the Smogon artists that participate in the Create-A-Pokemon art polls will read this through.

I try to make a point not to comment in the art polls while my designs are still up for consideration. I think it's bad form to politic for my design, or in any way politic against the other designs while voting on my art is in play. Personally, I think other artists -- Tea and Blues and RockoTheTaco, in particular -- would do well to do the same. It's hard enough having art judged by a general public click-poll. When I see the artists themselves out there lobbying for and against pieces, while their own art is in the running -- it's low-class behavior, IMO. And I mean that to be every bit the insult that it is.

I also think that artists around here should be held to a higher standard of courtesy when posting opinions in the actual art poll threads. I think it's somewhat like "Honor among thieves".

Over in the art thread, we can tear each other's heads off, for all I care. That is the thread for artists to work with each other and hash out designs. It's a work thread for artists and other interested parties. It's over in Smeargle's Studio, away from the normal stuff going on here in Stark Mountain.

But, once the art poll starts, I think the artists themselves should be careful about what they say. Since all the artists' names are up on the designs posted in the poll and the OP, the artists have a certain temporary "celebrity status" for the duration of the poll. For many of the lurkers that drive by and vote, they think like most people when they see a good drawing, "Wow! That's great. I wish I could draw like that." In fact, they think that people who can draw like that, must know more about art than other people. As such, when artists post opinions, they have more weight and effect than the opinions of the non-artists in the poll. I think the art poll is really where the artists say, "We're done with our own private discussions and art workshop, we now leave it in the hands of the general public". The artists themselves should be "above the fray", so to speak. Personally, if I post at all in an in-progress art voting poll -- I prefer to only post compliments of the art that I like, and I don't mention the art that I dislike. For fellow artists to criticize in the art polls, is unseemly.

I really did not appreciate TaB and Rocko's incessant, multiple-posted bashing against designs by other artists, including mine. I don't mind it from everybody else. In fact, I really don't have much of a care about lay opinions of my art, in general. I take the compliments and take the criticisms and try to channel it into my future artworks. I really don't care if my designs win or not. Sure, it's always nice to win any competition, not just art competitions. But, I like doing art and showing it to people. This forum is a really nice way to do that. If my art makes it to the poll, I'm happy. Lot's of people get to see and comment on my stuff. That's a win for me right there. Whether it actually wins the most votes?-- eh, I can't control that. And opinions are so fickle and personal, that I can't really predict or otherwise reason why people like certain things over others. What's most important to me, is if I like my stuff. After that, if some other people like my stuff, I'm usually pretty darn elated. The people that don't like my stuff, I try to evaluate the criticisms, and not take it personally.

But, with TaB and Rocko -- you two really got under my skin, which is hard to do. I had no problems with the multiple criticisms you posted in the art thread. Like I said, that's what the art thread is for. But, you took those exact same arguments and criticisms, and brought them over to the art polls. And you repeated them over, and over, and over. On several occasions, someone would post a compliment to my design, and TaB and/or Rocko would immediately post a rebuttal to their compliment and repeat their criticisms that had already been posted ad nauseum. It's almost like you couldn't stand the idea that someone would like a design other than yours and you just had post a little negativity, to make sure that none of the designs you disliked could generate any positive sentiment. Rocko went so far as to post that he was quitting Smogon entirely, because my art was getting votes. And my design wasn't even winning! What the fuck is that all about?

Hey, it was bad enough me having to listen to the two of you acting like you are God's gift to pokemon art. Constantly dictating some pokemon style guidebook that obviously the rest of us never received. You repeatedly put yourself up on some high-horse, and vociferously bashed and complained when anything that didn't fit your "rules" would get a modicum of support. Tea and Blues had the audacity to suggest that he might redo my design himself, since I wouldn't make the changes he wanted. To even suggest such a thing to a fellow artist is so blatantly insulting, it is just incomprehensible to me.

Who the fuck do you think you are? Do you honestly believe that your artskills and design aesthetic are so superior to mine that you can not only criticize my work, but take it out of my hands and "do it yourself"? What a fucking ego you have there. And, by the way, for someone who generated ten billion designs -- none of which made it past the first round, I think you are seriously deluded as to how "good" you are in the eyes of everyone else. Maybe you are too accustomed to people saying "Ooooh. Ahhhh! TaB can draw clean curves and color shade properly. Wow. He's a fucking genius!" Well, you're not. You're a good competent artist. I like your stuff. I voted for your fencer. But, I didn't just pick up a pencil yesterday. I've been doing art for a long time. And I put a lot of time and effort into that piece of art I submitted here. For you to even insinuate that you could take my design and do it better than me, and then tell everyone on every poll that my art did not deserve any votes -- that is insulting beyond words. I find your brand of unfettered arrogance to be inexcusable. Shame on you.

As for RockoTheTaco, if you're still lurking around looking at this, I'll say it to you directly. For you to up and quit Smogon because my design was getting too many votes? I don't know whether to be insulted or to simply laugh at your childish behavior. "People don't agree with me, so I'll leave. Boo hoo." And you did so in a public forum, while basically saying "Not only is Doug's design not getting my vote, but it should not get any votes from anyone!" If you want to leave, that's just fine with me. Good riddance. Take your sorry ass back to DeviantArt where you came from.

And just to be clear, this rant is in no way influenced by the outcome of the polls. I actually liked all the designs, and would have been happy with any of them. I consider KoA to be a talented artist and personal friend. His mummy design is top-notch. I think it will be a great design for this new pokemon. I can't wait to see his sprite. If anyone thinks I am projecting bitterness over losing, that is not the case. I would feel the exact same way if I would have won by a landslide. And I also hold no ill feelings toward all the non-artists who hated my stuff and posted multiple criticisms. Yes, some of them were quite vocal in their dislike for my design. But there were also a lot of people who lauded me with compliments and argued strongly for my design to win. It was immensely rewarding to see my design in the running, and to hear the feedback. But, I hold the other artists in this project to a higher standard. I have different expectations of courtesy from them, and they offended my expectations completely.

There, I've gotten this off my chest. I won't bitch about this any more in the future. But, I will not forget it. For both TaB and Rocko, I wanted to be absolutely clear about how I feel on this matter. In the future, expect no kindnesses or well-wishes from me. I thought your behavior in this competition was despicable. I think both of you are very talented artists and you will likely do very well in future competitions, if you choose to participate. But, I will not be cheering you on ever again. I will not afford you any courtesies as fellow artists, because I do not consider you such. You are just a couple of arrogant jerks who can draw. Your attitude and manners are nowhere near as good as your art.

Actually, something so bulky delivering 1/8 HP worth of damage every time it's hit doesn't sound very well to me.

Specially considering said skin is made of CLOTH.

Anyway, I like Shed skin, definitely. Also Insomnia and Synchronize. Dry Skin is a no-no, in my opinion.

Also, this should not get WoW. Poor Dusknoir is already trembling in fear of dropping to BL oblivion because of it, let's keep some of its uniqueness. Pain Split and WoW should be Dusknoir exclusive (talking about bulky ghosts, that is).

EDIT:
Well deserved rant.
*Standing applause*

Was it how "Cool" it was? Because "coolness" should not be the factor. It should be how it is related to its typing/stats. Since when have bandages been super defensive and cause of fighting physical capabilities.
In my eyes, it fits the stats better. It at least looks slightly defensive, while the Marionette looks like it'd get taken out in one hit. It also looks more like it could be a true ghost/fighting type, while the marionette looks (to me) more like a pure ghost. If I'm totally honest I don't think either of the designs reflect the stats truly well (no offense to KoA's art, I'm pretty sure he drew these before we'd decided on stats anyways), but of the two it fits both the stats and typing better.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Will-O-Wisp is pretty much non-negotioable.

Even Shedinja gets it. Froslass is the only Ghost that doesn't.

I probably went overboard on TMs as a sounding board. I would like to keep Giga Drain and Energy Ball, as they go with the Dex flavor text I added earlier. Unless people are really going to lament that this enables it to beat Swampert decisively.

I'd also like this to learn at least one elemental punch. Fire is out of the question just based on design. I also don't want to develop this solely so Gyarados counters it (if it has Bulk Up and Rock Slide, Gyarados won't counter it completely anyway). Gyarados is top tier OU on its own, it doesn't need any coddling from us, and any "counter" business can be stopped by Hidden Power Electric. I've built a Bronzong set around 2HKOing Gyara with it, it wouldn't be difficult to do the same here.

I'd like then, if you really don't want this to say "Nuts to you Gyara," that we opt for Ice Punch. Bulky waters still stop it could for the most part, but Dragons can take a hike. It still won't be able to break Roaring Hippowdon or Taunt + Roost Gliscor.

What do you all think of Earthquake? Ground moves are mostly useless of fighting types, but in this instance it basically beckons to have it so it can take out Infernape with ease.

Revised learnset:

Level 1: Wrap
Level 1: Leer
Level 4: Sand Attack
Level 7: Astonish
Level 10: Karate Chop
Level 14: Scary Face
Level 19: Mean Look
Level 24: Shadow Punch
Level 29: Brick Break
Level 35: Confuse Ray
Level 41: Glare
Level 48: Electrolevitate
Level 53: Cross Chop
Level 59: Heal Block
Level 66: Aura Sphere

Egg Moves:
Grudge
Shadow Sneak
Curse
Destiny Bond
Pursuit
Ominous Wind
Knock Off
Ice Punch

TMs:
01 Focus Punch
06 Toxic
08 Bulk Up
10 Hidden Power
11 Sunny Day
12 Taunt
15 Hyper Beam
17 Protect
18 Rain Dance
19 Giga Drain
21 Frustration
26 Earthquake
27 Return
30 Shadow Ball
31 Brick Break
32 Double Team
39 Rock Tomb
41 Torment
42 Facade
43 Secret Power
44 Rest
45 Attract
46 Thief
52 Focus Blast
53 Energy Ball
56 Fling
58 Endure
60 Drain Punch
61 Will-O-Wisp
63 Embargo
66 Payback
68 Giga Impact
70 Flash
77 Psyche Up
78 Captivate
79 Dark Pulse
80 Rock Slide
82 Sleep Talk
83 Natural Gift
87 Swagger
90 Substitute
92 Trick Room
H4 Strength
H6 Rock Smash
H8 Rock Climb

Changes:

OK, Wrap is now an initial move, and it has all 3 of Scary Face, Mean Look, and Heal Block. It also has Glare, Knock Off(breed) and Electrolevitate, which should satisfy its design decently enough. Like Magnezone and Forry, EL is rather a formality but it's there. Boltbeam moves and Psychic fillers have been dropped. Ice Punch is the only elemental punch, and Stone Edge and Stealth Rock have been stricken. As far as egg moves, they are pulled solely from the Indeterminate egg group, since this thing just doesn't fit humanshape. Dark moves and weather changers remain. If you want Shadow Sneak and Ice Punch together you'll need to breed with Dusknoir.

I am adamant about keeping Aura Sphere. Screw you Evasion Chompy.

I sort of melded my ideas with Urza's and KOA's, trying to strike a decent balance.

My only concern with it now is that essentially we've built a better Dusknoir, save the lack of Pain Split (which is a big deal. Low HP + High Def + Pain Split = annoying). There's also the fact Pressure is an unholy stalling ability (ask the Syclant server players about my Aerodactyl ^_~) that this won't be getting.

If Will O'Wisp isn't on his moveset, he'd be less of a Dusknoir replacement. Plus, if Fire Punch is a definate "No", then Will O'Wisp should be too. He already has Grudge, Curse, and Destiny Bond as far as "curses" go on your moveset.

Yes, all ghosts but one get WoW. But it happens to make MUMRA so much better than Dusknoir in all accounts. Dusknoir can afford dumping most of its defensive EVs in SDef because it has WoW to rely on. If you give WoW to a bulkier pokémon that also has higher SDef than Def, then it is not only very good (not bad per se), but outclasses Dusknoir completely.

People need to stop over analyzing imaginary creatures the game has rat that shoot out electric bolts and fish that turns into octopus try to make sense of that.I know there is thing i will call it "Pokemon logic" it has no hands it does not get punches,It has no legs does not gets kicks,It has no wings it does get fly that type of stuff but People tend to go overboard and say stupid stuff like Diagla does not look a pokemon.Stop over thinking people

Also If you really want answer if bandages make you a defensive pokemon look at dusclops

I'll only post the few things I'd like to see changed.

Electrolevitate: I get the idea, but this thing has nothing to do with electricity, steel or anything magnet like.
Earthquake: Meh, maybe, but I don't really see this thing causing an earthquake. Maybe with his fists?..meh
Will-o-wisp: For the sake of Dusknoir and any non-Hera physical sweeper, don't light their fire.
Dynamic Punch: Any way you can fit this on him? I mean with those hands..

Everything else seems a-ok by me.

Also, this should not get WoW. Poor Dusknoir is already trembling in fear of dropping to BL oblivion because of it, let's keep some of its uniqueness. Pain Split and WoW should be Dusknoir exclusive (talking about bulky ghosts, that is).
What was Dusknoir's job in OU? Please tell me he does more than just sit there and stop rapin-spinner from working but that's kinda sad IMO.

Two thumbs up @ Doug.

Deck Knight

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'll only post the few things I'd like to see changed.

Electrolevitate: I get the idea, but this thing has nothing to do with electricity, steel or anything magnet like.
Earthquake: Meh, maybe, but I don't really see this thing causing an earthquake. Maybe with his fists?..meh
Will-o-wisp: For the sake of Dusknoir and any non-Hera physical sweeper, don't his their fire.
Dynamic Punch: Any way you can fit this on him? I mean with those hands..

Everything else seems a-ok by me.
Level 48: Electrolevitate --> Dynamicpunch

*dun-da dun-da dun-da da-da-da dun-de-de-dum de-de-dum de-de-dun da*

Congratulations! Your moveset evolved!

*doot-doot-do do-do-do-do-do-do-do!*

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
<Mom, me, and mummy alliteration>

this made my lol though :toast:

ps: can i use this as my sig?
Go right ahead and sig it. I just got a wild hair when Sikh Assassin posted "Mommy look, mummy." I stretched it out into a little rhyme. I was just in an odd mood, I guess....

In my eyes, it fits the stats better. It at least looks slightly defensive, while the Marionette looks like it'd get taken out in one hit. It also looks more like it could be a true ghost/fighting type, while the marionette looks (to me) more like a pure ghost. If I'm totally honest I don't think either of the designs reflect the stats truly well (no offense to KoA's art, I'm pretty sure he drew these before we'd decided on stats anyways), but of the two it fits both the stats and typing better.
Thank you for an answer with actual reasoning. I too think that neither of these fit the stats, and that the Djinn did a better job at keeping the stats.

I don't think it should get Will-o-wisp, for the reasons posted. Shed Skin would be intresting, Imsonia would be a good ability too.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
it has no hands it does not get punches
Lol, Wooper.

And out of curiosity, can we give this thing... Nasty Plot? C'mon, it's a mummy, I'm sure it used all that time locked shut in its sarcophagus planning on how to beat Blissey without even touching her, say "lol fuck you" to Dusknoir one-on-one, etc etc.

And out of curiosity, can we give this thing... Nasty Plot? C'mon, it's a mummy, I'm sure it used all that time locked shut in its sarcophagus planning on how to beat Blissey without even touching her, say "lol fuck you" to Dusknoir one-on-one, etc etc.
That would work perfectly thought I alway believe that their not evil, just misunderstood XD

Deck Knight

The last part of my sentence was a joke though you're right....so what does a Togepi think when it using Nasty Plot?
"MAN I *&%$ed up the Anime sooooo bad when I was in it. I totally screwed with Misty's head, and was a general nuisance to everyone! BAHAHAHAHAHA!"

hey people, as nice as movepool is and all, I can't post the next poll without ability options. Here's what I got so far

Dry Skin
Shed Skin
Rough Skin
Sand Veil
Insomnia (all though dropping rest would be a cooler and more discrete way to do this)
Immunity
Synchronize
No Guard (Gibdo trait)
Shadow Tag (j/k)

I will edit more in but the fact that I am typing this keeps me from viewing other pages.

Sigging that
lol, I've been sigged!

Evil little Togepi.

On topic, I'm glad the mummy won. I've already thought of a (rather obvious) fainting animation for if it were to appear in a 3D game. It would just unravel and be a heap of bandage on the ground.

Kinda off-topic, I'm hoping we get to make an uber soon, so we can go nuts and make something hilariously overpowered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)