A Pokemon Riddle

Malfunction

nice desu ne
why not starmie? Salamence will run away from the Ice Beam, raikou and pikachu can counter it. HP dark 70 could OHKO, I suppose. and the GK attack that couldn't take down the pikachu's sub... it makes sense, yeah?

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hmm yeah I screwed up. =( For this challenge, Hidden Power will automatically adjust the IVs to allow it to be any type. Sorry guys (so it doesn't have to be Dark). =(

I'm assuming items are not in play, because that would complicate things extensively.

Celebi fits. Celebi doesn't always break Pikachu's sub with grass knot. Celebi always kills Raikou in 2 turns if the second Grass Knot crits. Mewtwo can OHKO Celebi with HP Bug.

However, and I feel this may be more likely, Primeape also fits the scenario. Primeape never breaks Pikachu's subs with Low Kick after an Intimidate, but can kill Raikou if the second Low Kick crits. Mewtwo always OHKOs Primeape with HP Psychic. Also, if the Rest really did get no message, Vital Spirit Primeape would be the reason.

The real problem I have is why you claim only 2 pokemon can fit in the first scenario. Without Mewtwo needing to OHKO with no item, you then have Celebi, Shaymin, Espeon, Latios that fit using Grass Knot (The funny part, is Espeon/Latios have to hit Raikou for absolute max damage both hits). It could also be Primeape or Lucario's Low Kick.

You just suggested Mewtwo used HP Psychic?
If we're to take into account this being a reasonable battle scenario, a lot of this would be thrown out the window. I also assumed Vital Spirit Primeape used Rest. I assumed the Rain added nothing to this. I assumed bad switches and predictions were made.

Hell, we're assuming no EVs, neutral natures, and likely no items. HP Psychic works.

Lucario can still work here as well.....
Lacking an item, Mewtwo can't OHKO Lucario with a Hidden Power. The only reason it can OHKO Primeape with a 2x effective HP is because it gets STAB on HP Psychic.

HP Water would have been even more interesting, but I can't find a pokemon that works with it (Sudowoodo can't kill Raikou with Low Kick after the Intimidate). Houndoom would have fit the name and could have worked using Overheat, but only if Rain Dance lowered Overheat's power on the turn Pikachu used it. Then again, I'm sure a number of fire pokemon would work if that were the case.

I think it is leftovers celebi. It uses rest to abuse natural cure. It can 2HKO raikou but won't beat pikachu who has the sub. then mewtwo Spec HP Bug ohkos it.

Come on guys its kadabra or celebi

If the scenario really allows for items, tons of pokemon fit.

Infernape works with Specs, Azelf works with WiseGlasses, Sudowoodo works with Choice Band, and so on. Pikachu holds Macho Brace or Lagging Tail and it really opens things up. Not to mention specs Mewtwo can OHKO tons of stuff with a super effective HP.

Begin turn 24.
Trainer switched in Mewtwo.
Barkers used Rest.
Rain continues to fall.
Now the first thing I notice is a lack of sleep. So I am guessing that rest did not work.

Now for Rest to not work the pokemon must have Vital Spirit, Insomnia, or it must be Manaphy

Vital Spirit = Primape, Delibird (lol), and Vigoroth

Insomnia = Noctowl, Honchcrow, Hypno, Bannete, Ariados

Now we do not know the skill of the battler, so using rest and forgetting that the pokemon cannot actually use it is somewhat viable.

I am sure several of the above pokemon can be eliminated by looking into their base stats, compared to the ones on the opposing team.

Also it is clear that the pokemon is on the special side... otherwise I dont see Salamence switching anytime soon thanks to the intimidate.

My guess is Arcanine using Overheat. Barkers = Barking = Dog. Fire type could possibly draw out Pikachu to use Rain Dance. But using Rest... I can't see that on Arcanine. I'm sure I'm far off <_<.

(Apologies if this has already been guessed.)

Also it is clear that the pokemon is on the special side... otherwise I dont see Salamence switching anytime soon thanks to the intimidate.
First of all, the post never said that the moves they used had to make sense. Hell, we're using Rain Dance Pikachu, no EVs at all, etc. Secondly, it's a moot point anyways, as Salamence would be running from Weavile or anything with an Ice move.

Okay, I think I've got it after running enough damage calculations.

The "something" move is Low Kick.
"Barkers" in the first scenario can be either Primeape or Lucario.
In the second scenario, "Barkers" can only be Primeape.

And now, the damage calculations to prove it.

I'll start with a simple scenario. In this problem, assume all IVs are 31, all natures are neutral, and all EVs are 0. "Barkers" is an unknown Pokemon.

Begin turn 1.
Salamence's Intimidate cut Barkers's Attack.
Trainer withdrew Salamence and sent out Raikou.
Barkers used something.
Primeape's -1 Atk Low Kick: 29.28-34.89%
Lucario's -1 Atk Low Kick: 30.84-36.45%

Begin turn 2.
Raikou used Calm Mind.
Barkers used something. A critical hit. Raikou fainted.
Trainer sent out Pikachu.
Primeape's critical hit Low Kick: 88.79-104.67%
Lucario's critical hit Low Kick: 92.52-109.35%
(easy 2HKO)

Note: The Pokemon is slower than Raikou, i.e. 115 Base Speed or less.

Begin turn 3.
Barkers used something.
Pikachu used Substitute.
Primeape's -1 Low Kick: 17.54-21.33%
Lucario's -1 Low Kick: 18.48-21.80%

Note: The Pokemon is faster than Pikachu, i.e. 90 Base Speed or more.

Begin turn 4.
Barkers used something.
Pikachu used Rain Dance.
Neither one will break the sub, as indicated above.

Begin turn 5.
Barkers used something. Pikachu's Substitute faded.
The sub would be broken in two hits, however.

The question is: What move is Barkers using ("something" is the same move each time)? As an added challenge, Barkers can be one of two Pokemon. From the following scenario, which one is it?

Begin turn 23.
Player switched in Barkers.
Trainer switched in Pikachu.
Rain continues to fall.

Begin turn 24.
Trainer switched in Mewtwo.
Barkers used Rest.
Rain continues to fall.
Rest apparently failed, indicating Vital Spirit or Insomnia. Primeape can have Vital Spirit.

Begin turn 25.
Mewtwo used Hidden Power. It's super effective! Barkers fainted.
The rain stopped.
Mewtwo's Hidden Power [Psychic] on Primeape: 108.49-128.41%

Note: I somewhat gave away the answer on Shoddy, so if I was talking to you on Shoddy earlier, don't give away the answer.
If this isn't the answer, I really am out of ideas...

Now the first thing I notice is a lack of sleep. So I am guessing that rest did not work.

Now for Rest to not work the pokemon must have Vital Spirit, Insomnia, or it must be Manaphy

Vital Spirit = Primape, Delibird (lol), and Vigoroth

Insomnia = Noctowl, Honchcrow, Hypno, Bannete, Ariados

Now we do not know the skill of the battler, so using rest and forgetting that the pokemon cannot actually use it is somewhat viable.

I am sure several of the above pokemon can be eliminated by looking into their base stats, compared to the ones on the opposing team.

Not true. You forgot to add in Dewgong, the other Hydration pokemon. But Overheat Ape makes the most sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)