Defensive Walling Combinations

I have been working on a Empcor (Empoleon & Gliscor)

Empoleon is only weak to Fighting, Electric and Ground, Glis is immune to Elec & Ground and takes fighting hits like a champ. That being said Glis doesn't like Ice and Water in which Empleon is a x4 and x2 resist.

The only type they cannot resist completly is Grass/Fire.
The only problem with grass types here is grass knot, and both take neutral damage from it. Fire is also not a problem, since both of them can take out Infernape and Heatran.(Empoleon blocks heatran, Infernape is stopped by Gliscor)

I dunno. If something happened to Heatran, Mamoswine could rip right through those pokemon. Try a few less Ice weaks... just because Heatran could switch into powerful Ice moves doesn't mean the mamoswine user wouldn't catch on and EQ next time.
Actually, Celebi deals with Mamo pretty well, as Grass Knot OHKOs and Ice Fang/Blizzard are only 2HKO. Ice Fang is rarely seen and BLizzard has shit accuracy. I'd be actually worried about Mixape, as nothing counters it completely.

Edit: Boah could potentially be hard to deal with as well, as it hit SE on every Pokemon.

Actually, Celebi deals with Mamo pretty well, as Grass Knot OHKOs and Ice Fang/Blizzard are only 2HKO. Ice Fang is rarely seen and BLizzard has shit accuracy. I'd be actually worried about Mixape, as nothing counters it completely.

Edit: Boah could potentially be hard to deal with as well, as it hit SE on every Pokemon.
Well, a full HP Mamo with Avalanche could do alot of damage on the switch.

That's a whopping five walls, I thought this was supposed to be like two or three pokemon in combination. Sure, the ENTIRE TEAM might not get swept by mamoswine, but what are you gonna do about offense? Rapid Spin? Wish support? Five walls is all good and nice on paper, but it's impractical.
actually 5 walls+garchomp is a pretty standard strat

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That's true.... Hazing doesn't switch the pokemon out which means that the stat upper is free to continue statting up/kill your hazer. If you phaze them by blowing/roaring them away, the opponent now has to bring back in the pokemon which could risk being OHKO'd on the switch, or taking indirect damage from Rocks/Spikes.... All i all Phazing is better than standard hazing as they both do the same thing, but Phazing has the added benefit of switching out the opponents pokemon. The only benefit Haze has over Roar/Whirlwind is that it's not affected by the move Ingrain, which I suppose matters if you're battling a true baton pass team... but when trying to combat standard stat uppers I'd rather Phaze than haze.

I'd argue with that. Weezing is only weak to psycic type moves, which tend to be found on special threats that Blissey should be fighting, not weezing. Wezing can phaze like Skarmory and has access to Will O Wisp which helps Weezing deal with Phy attackers. Let's not forget that Blissey can use wish to ensure Weezing sticks around. Another benefit is that Magnezone can't trap Weezing, unlike Skarmory,

It also doesn't get decimated by SD Lucario and Heracross, which is a major plus in my eyes.

Basically what I said in more detail haha. Glad to see someone else agrees with me...maybe now I'll put it into action..

Blissey and Dusknoir can be pretty fun, dodge those nasty Close Combats.

I'll leave it to someone else to make a catchy name for it.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Something I have been enjoying is Togekiss + Swampert - They seem to cover each other really well, as Swampert seems to deal with electric types very well. But Zapdos + Swampert would probably work better.

Also Iggybot told me that between Magnezone and Gyara you have a resistance to everything in the game, something I'm dying to try out now.

(Hailstorm Team):
Walrein / Garchomp

Walrein covers them ice weaknesses pretty well. Garchomp covers electric and rock. Nice because people all switch out from Garchomp only for me to set up a free Stealth Rocks while scouting their team :-p

Yeah... I went there. Stop staring at me! >_>

Parasect and Magcargo:

Magcargo covers Parasect's 8x (!) weakness to fire with a sexy 4x resist (Edit: 5x weakness - dry skin adds +25%to dmg) (I think?)
Magcargo covers Parasect's 4x weakness to fly with a 2x resist
Magcargo covers Parasect's 2x weakness to ice with 2x resist
Magcargo covers Parasect's neutrality to normal with a 2x resist
Magcargo covers Parasect's neutrality to bug with a 2x resist

Parasect covers Magcargo's 4x weakness to water with a 2x resist (Edit: or immunity depending on trait)
Parasect covers Magcargo's 4x weakness to ground with a 2x resist (Edit: 4x resist - even more uber)
Parasect covers Magcargo's 2x weakness to fight with a 2x resist
Parasect covers Magcargo's neutrality to electric with a 2x resist.
Parasect covers Magcargo's neutrality to grass with a 4x resist

Throw in a Mawile to cover their shared 2x rock weakness and dark, ghost and dragon neutrality and you have yourselves a team!

Parasect and Magcargo:

Magcargo covers Parasect's 8x (!) weakness to fire with a sexy 4x resist

Parasect covers Magcargo's 4x weakness to water with a 2x resist
Parasect covers Magcargo's 4x weakness to ground with a 2x resist

Throw in a Mawile to cover their shared 2x rock weakness and dark and ghost and dragon neutrality and you have yourselves a team!
Dry skin parasect is immune to water btw.

One of my favorites that I have been playing around with lately has been

Stallstoise + SubSeedile/SubSeedlypluff

Blastoise can't do damage worth squat, but he does have amazing stalling abilities. The sleep set especially, his defenses are just really good and with only two weaknesses, both of which are resisted by grass he sets up a Sub Seeder nicely.

I keep toggling between these two sets on Stoise:
Rest
Sleep Talk
Toxic
Rapid Spin

or

Yawn
Rapid Spin
Surf
Ice Beam

the yawn set is less defensive but combos well with sceptile who likes to have his target already asleep or get in for free if they switch.

Grass Knot does next to no damage to Jumpluff who can then Encore and stall while Toxic kills them.

Uhh, well I pretty much use Gliscor + Vaporeon + Heatran on most of my teams, and usually Tyranitar thrown on as well, as they provide a pretty balanced defensive core, and then hopefully the other members of my team can help cover any major threats that those three can't take out. Like some people have said, you really can't cover all DP threats with 6 pokemon, let alone 2 or 3, so I pretty much try to make sure I have my major bases covered and that my team can survive long enough to get its strategy underway

Somebody give me thoughts on this

MegaStar

Meganium/Omastar

Havent gone it to it much, they cover eachother ok, problem is my meganium is special Def based with reflect to cover Def

Parasect and Magcargo:

Magcargo covers Parasect's 8x (!) weakness to fire with a sexy 4x resist (Edit: 5x weakness - dry skin adds +25%to dmg) (I think?)

Parasect covers Magcargo's 4x weakness to water with a 2x resist (Edit: or immunity depending on trait)
Parasect covers Magcargo's 4x weakness to ground with a 2x resist (Edit: 4x resist - even more uber)

Throw in a Mawile to cover their shared 2x rock weakness and dark, ghost and dragon neutrality and you have yourselves a team!
Aggron and Probopass work equally well there. Hmm... I gotta try this defensive combo next time I'm in UU... thats pretty darn good.

Magcargo/Parasect sounds better than it actually plays ... and to be honest I'd be very reluctant to descibe either as "walls".

Magcargo isn't bad, with Recover and Flame Body it can take a huge physical beating... it's one of the few UU walls that gets a reliable recovery move, so he needs some credit.

Sadly, Parasect can't recover himself, but as long as you avoid Stealth Rocks with a spinner, water moves will be easy to get into and get some HP back. Rain Dance sweeping is more common than you think, and Parasect could get in free. In fact, some people set up rain and then send in a Choice Specs water type using surf... that'd allow you to set up a sub while they're forced out as well.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Also Iggybot told me that between Magnezone and Gyara you have a resistance to everything in the game, something I'm dying to try out now.
You may resist every type, but that's not the best combination. I'm sensing a Rock/Ground weakness there, and both pokemon are fairly slow. Rock/Fighting also beats them together.

This may have been posted before:

Salamence+Metagross
Magnezone+Gyarados

Both serve a good defensive combo and still attack very well.

Magcargo isn't bad, with Recover and Flame Body it can take a huge physical beating... it's one of the few UU walls that gets a reliable recovery move, so he needs some credit.
I didn't actually say that Macargo was bad ... and believe me I am aware of his defensive capabilities

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35254
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33716

Rain Dance sweeping is more common than you think, and Parasect could get in free. In fact, some people set up rain and then send in a Choice Specs water type using surf... that'd allow you to set up a sub while they're forced out as well.
Again I am aware of this ... see the link in my signature.

My point wasn't that either pokemon are particularly bad individually, rather that the combination is quite difficult to play despite them covering each others weaknesses ... probably because they both have a fair few.
There are so many pokemon in the UU metagame that carry moves capable of severely damaging both, your prediction has to be constitantly top notch in order to make them work effectively, because with them both being so slow you rarely get the chance to rectify any mistakes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)