CAP 3 CAP 3 - Part 8 (Stat spread selection)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see it using Solar Power in the same sense it'd use SolarBeam...simply charging its cannons, perhaps in a same way as Hyper Beam in the anime.

Toxic, Burn, and Paralysis would be harder to have stick, so it'd be harder to stall.
But this thing would also be able to go on stall teams to beat off standard walls and cure the rest of the team of status. Aromatherapy works two ways. I'm for testing it though.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Solar Power sounds really awesome, but tbh this thing will be most likely running Sunny Day and a Satk boost every turn sounds a tad broken. I don't know, this thing seems bulky enough to do some insane damage with Solar Power, even if it is a tad slow. Flash Fire is just overpowered. It has few weaknesses as it stands, to give it an immunity to Fire of all types is just obscene.

Aromatherapy or Battle Armor sound good though. Aromatherapy would allow it to pull of Sunny Day sets without hindrance (paralyzed? just switch out and come back for more).

Aromatherapy or Battle Armor sound good though. Aromatherapy would allow it to pull of Sunny Day sets without hindrance (paralyzed? just switch out and come back for more).
I think you're confusing Aromatherapy (the move) with Natural Cure (the ability).

Hmm, no surprise on the stat spread victor.

I'm against Flash Fire, mainly because as Dane said it pretty much nullifies other Fire types as counters. I don't really see a reason for special Intimidate, it's a cool concept but it would be much better suited to an offensive Pokemon (preferably one with more resistances).

Battle Armor seems reasonable, as does Rock Head.

Solar Power sounds really awesome, but tbh this thing will be most likely running Sunny Day and a Satk boost every turn sounds a tad broken. I don't know, this thing seems bulky enough to do some insane damage with Solar Power, even if it is a tad slow.
edit: Don't forget, Solar Power saps 12.5% of your health in the sun each turn.

Karrot

plant
is a Past WCoP Champion
Pressure still stands as an outstanding ability choice for this Pokemon. What is everyone's opinion on this?

Other than that, I like a set of Battle Armor/Rock Head. Pressure could possibly be interchangeable with either one.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ok here is what I think of each suggested ability that has support as far as I can see.

Intimidate/Special intimidate (maybe Inferno?)
Useful and one of them is a new ability, but this thing already extremely bulky so it may be overkill, also intimidate is very OU already and we could put sp. intimidate on something more fiting.

Battle Armor
A interesting ability, it helps with crits but is that such an issue?

Solar Power
My favorite this thing has a low enough sp. attack for it not to be broken (using sunny day is the same as a growth boost that only lasts 5 turns) it fits the art well enough to work (imagine this thing drawing power from)

Chlorophyll
It would be very nice, but it doesn't fit the art.

Flash Fire
I don't see why this would be broken, it fits the art well enough and would be nice.

Rock Head
hmmmm.... it would make the odd CB sets almost usable but i dont realy like it, its wood not rock.

Natural Cure (Aromatherapy is an attack not an ability)
I don't think it fits very well.

so my ranking is
1. Solar Power
2. Flash Fire
3. Rock Head
4. Special intimidate
5. Battle Armor
6. Intimidate
7. Chlorophyll
8. Natural Cure

I hope this will have two abilitys.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In that case Solar Power seems reasonable, but it would have to be paired with a more defensive trait. Pressure sounds cool because it seriously punishes Stone Edge, one of the few things that hit it SE. Rock Head is redundant if this thing hasn't got the attack stat to abuse Wood Hammer (which it absolutely must get).

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Isn't there an ability that gradually heals HP in the sunlight? I'm sure there is, but I forgot the name. It would be just like Ice Body or Rain Dish.

Special intimidate are you fucking crazy.
I love how you explained in detail why you disagree with a special intimidate, leaving room for debate...

o wait... nevermind

Really what is so crazy about special intimidate? A Togekiss can sweep teams once Bliss is gone, and even with Bliss around thanks to the flinch hax set... With no other viable special wall to take these special threats a special intimidate would help a lot in dealing with Yanmega, and other deadly special sweepers once your Blissey is gone.

eric the espeon

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Isn't there an ability that gradually heals HP in the sunlight? I'm sure there is, but I forgot the name. It would be just like Ice Body or Rain Dish.
no but we could make one, what names would work....

Pressure sounds cool because it seriously punishes Stone Edge, one of the few things that hit it SE. Rock Head is redundant if this thing hasn't got the attack stat to abuse Wood Hammer (which it absolutely must get).
Too many things have pressure, most of them are legends, it would not be that much use on this thing, it does not fit the at that well.

not keen on pressure.

Karrot

plant
is a Past WCoP Champion
The problem with Flash Fire is that...
...it completely removes near every fire pokemon from it's counter list outside of Charizard and Moltres.
Most of these Fire types are found in the "Borderline" or "Underused" tier, and because we are trying to diversify the metagame with our creations limiting the usefulness of an already small pool of Pokemon seems...counterproductive.

And, if this Pokemon got Flash Fire, Heatran would immediately fall off the counter list.

Solar Power seems okay, I guess, but I don't support it.

Grawl said:
I see some people are making ability suggestions, so here are some of mine.

Woodman:
Battle Armor -> Armor
Anger Point -> I see him as a warrior, that doesn't like to lose
Heat Proof -> Seems like he could walk through fire all day long
Keen Eye -> fits a good warrior
No Guard -> He loses all his guard when attacking with his canons
Reckless -> ^
Rivalry -> warrior thing

This thing has enough weapons as it is. I don't think that we should try to put too much stock in its ability. Pressure, Battle Armor, stuff like that is fine. I do think giving it Aromatherapy would be a good idea, though.

Intimidate or a special intimidate in such a bulky pokémon doesn't seem like a very good idea, I think. The bulkiest things that get intimidate are Gyarados and Salamence, with 95/80 and 95/79 defenses. And both have a 4x weakness.

On the other hand, Battle Armor not only fits with the art, but also is a decent aid to a defensive pokémon, not having to worry about criticals.

Also, this might sound broken, or too difficult to implement, but an ability that prevented the chance to add a status of damaging attacks could be interesting. It would be the other side of the coin of Battle Armor, preventing "hax" (I hate the word) on the status side, instead of the critical side.

healing abilities won't make sense on this guy. nor does anything having to do with leaves (ie solar power, chlorophyll, etc.)

i can see the following

aftermath
battle armor
keen eye
mold breaker
reckless
rivalry
sniper
steadfast

maybe a few others...

eric the espeon

Photosynthesis, perhaps?
hmmm... no leaves.

The problem with Flash Fire is that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Dane
...it completely removes near every fire pokemon from it's counter list outside of Charizard and Moltres.

Most of these Fire types are found in the "Borderline" or "Underused" tier, and because we are trying to diversify the metagame with our creations limiting the usefulness of an already small pool of Pokemon seems...counterproductive.

And, if this Pokemon got Flash Fire, Heatran would immediately fall off the counter list.

Solar Power seems okay, I guess, but I don't support it.
Well fires are not really good counters for this, fire hits it for normal damage and this will use a secondary attack to hurt them.

Karrot

plant
is a Past WCoP Champion
With that kind of logic in mind, what is the point of Flash Fire, then? To limit the fires types even more?

Flash Fire is a definite "no."

EDIT: @ Time Mage: Actually, a custom ability like that seems nice. I think, however, we should save that for another CAP. This Pokemon already has a lot of options to begin with.

Battle Armor
A interesting ability, it helps with crits but is that such an issue?
I don't know about everyone else, but I get hit with at least 2 criticals a game. Usually at the most inopportune moments.

Solar Power
My favorite this thing has a low enough sp. attack for it not to be broken (using sunny day is the same as a growth boost that only lasts 5 turns) it fits the art well enough to work (imagine this thing drawing power from)
Wouldn't this + sunny day = 75% special attack increase on fire moves? Or does Sunny Day count like a stat up, effectively making it +100% special attack on fire moves? Plus, with the one item sunny day can last 8 turns. Add a life orb or choice specs/scarf and this thing would be beyond powerful.

Flash Fire
I don't see why this would be broken, it fits the art well enough and would be nice.
Of the three groupings of counters, one is fire Pokemon for the shear fact that it resists both STABs, and then hits back neutral with STAB. Flash Fire would negate this counter grouping.

Rock Head
hmmmm.... it would make the odd CB sets almost usable but i dont realy like it, its wood not rock.
Steelix has it, and he's metal not rock. Sudowoodo has it, and he's wood not rock. Marowak has it, and she's bone not rock.

We can call it Synthesize, Recharge, or Sol Heal.

Going off a list of abilities:
Battle Armor
Flame Body
Inner Focus
Pressure
Rock Head
Sniper

These are the only things I can really see fitting this guy without being overpowered or stupid weak. Two are offensive (Rock Head, Sniper), one is neutral (Pressure), and three are defensive (Battle Armor, Flame Body, and Inner Focus).

It should have one defensive ability and one offensive ability, likely with Pressure falling more in line under defensive abilities than offensive. All of these are fine choices, though a couple do stand out.

Steelix has it, and he's metal not rock. Sudowoodo has it, and he's wood not rock. Marowak has it, and she's bone not rock.
Odd, I assumed Sudo was rock.

Anyway I'd say that Battle armor would be a sure choice for this guy, the other is up in the air.

ok the name of the project is called "Create A Pokemon" not "Create A Pokemon as close to Uber as You Possibly Can". Just because it could get a special intimidate doesn't mean it should, this thing could get battle armor and will still see plenty of use why do we have to go over the top. Special initimidate can come in a later project and not on something that really doesn't need it, stop blowing your load in one go.

Don't know if anyone remembers me, or if anyone cares, but sorry I ditched in the middle of Revahnk and now this one. I won't be voting with this one, since I don't know anything about it, but the image that won, wow, is all I can say. I assume Gothic Togekiss is now leading this one? Well, even if you don't care, I will be more active next Pokemon around. Sorry!

I agree that this does not need a special Intimidate, but I do think that Battle Armour and Rock Head are perfect and doesn't make it broken at all. Back to the moveset discussion, I think that this should only get the better fire moves from its prevo (similar to how Blaziken gets Fire Spin and Infernape gets Nasty Plot). The prevo should learn Overheat and/or Heat Wave, but not Woodman. I know this has no bearings competitively because of Heart Scales, but it makes more sense to me (This is also the reason Togekiss gets Focus Punch). I'm thinking Monster and Dragon for Egg Groups as well. What do you guys think?

I agree that this does not need a special Intimidate, but I do think that Battle Armour and Rock Head are perfect and doesn't make it broken at all.
After looking up moves, I'm also liking Sniper for the offensive ability. Not sure how good it'd be on this guy without Blaze Kick, but it makes sense thematically. Rock Head is still likely superior though.

Back to the moveset discussion, I think that this should only get the better fire moves from its prevo (similar to how Blaziken gets Fire Spin and Infernape gets Nasty Plot). The prevo should learn Overheat and/or Heat Wave, but not Woodman. I know this has no bearings competitively because of Heart Scales, but it makes more sense to me (This is also the reason Togekiss gets Focus Punch).
I'd say let the movepool decide, though like you said it doesn't matter in the long run. Only time I can see it mattering is if you had a low stage move at high level, a high stage move at a low level, and an egg move all on the same set. THAT'S why I say let movepool decide.

I'm thinking Monster and Dragon for Egg Groups as well. What do you guys think?
I'd say let movepool decide what groups it needs to fall into to get moves yet not certain combinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)