Obsessing over music

Does anyone else here find themselves obsessing over music? Perhaps obsessing is too much of a strong word. What I mean is, has anyone here ever been addicted to music to the point of searching song meanings (if you do not get them on your own of course), a band's background, a band name's origin?

I do not mean "addicted" as in playing a song with 'repeat' turned on, over and over. I mean in actually understanding more of it, uncovering the lyrics or any references it might contain.

If I were to write a text on my musical taste's evolution, I'd have to mention that I've obsessed over various bands or songs in particular over the years. These 'obsessions', once again, for the lack of a better word, go from weeks to months, and after getting through them my liking for that particular band or song still remains, but it isn't the same as before.

If there's anyone out there like me, then please post some of the most peculiar episodes you've been through and I shall post mine!

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
When I was in middle school, I discovered the band Hum. I consider that to be the most important time in my life, because their music helped shape the person I am today, it affected me so deeply. Matt Talbott's words, Tim Lash's ridiculous guitarwork, Brian St. Pere's relentlessly amazing drumming and Jeff Dempsey's understated but steady bass have never been reproduced in any other band I've listened to since, and they probably ever won't. I was so into Hum that I searched endlessly on the internet until I had their entire discography (except for Fillet Show, which was so rare it didn't sell for less than $60 on EBay). I've owned almost every t-shirt they ever made. I would tell all my friends about them, make them listen to it, try to get them to like it, but many didn't like Hum, and those that did just didn't seem to GET it the way I did.

I do this a lot with particular bands, such as Why? and Modest Mouse, whose lyrics just seem to come from nowhere yet have some insane meaning behind them.

I find myself putting my MP3 player on shuffle, yet skipping every song until I reach one by them.

I've read the lyrics over and over, sometimes it starts to make sense, and sometimes the fact that it doesn't makes it even better.

Pink Floyd. I was stricken from the first time I listened to The Wall and I worked my way back to learn more about them. My journey to learn all I could about them matches the scenario you described to a key. I learned the meaning behind each lyric, I researched their background, and I found myself absorbed each time I listened to their music, despite the fact that they were before my time.

Actually, when I was younger, I heard this one song that I immediately loved, but I didn't know the name of the artist or the name song sadly. And not knowing would literally drive me insane. The singer of the song, had the most beautiful voice I've ever heard before. I think the first time, I heard it, I was hooked to it. When I was in the seventh grade, I actually found out the name of the artist was Sade and the song was Cherish the Day. Ever since that day, Sade has been my favorite artist and always will be. Her songs allow me to tone out the rest of the world, so that I can have some time to my calm myself and to think through so that I can sort out my life. I owe a lot to her and her songs because they literally shaped me into a better person that I am today. I only hope she will reappear in the future to make more life-changing, inspirational songs.

I have the tendency to go a Wikipedia runs where I read history of around 20 bands. Then I read some articles on song meanings, album covers, etc. When I'm done reading, I check the clock and it's 4:35.

Radiohead= addicting stuff to read about. I have all the articles I could find bookmarked, and quite a few magazines with Radiohead features; for example- this month's Q magazine.

right now i have an obsession with Ayumi Hamasaki and im finding myself downloading almost her whole collection. i havent really founf out much about her personal life though.

I used to be so obsessed with Jamiroquai, it'd be all I'd listen to.

Now I like everything, especially house.

Zero 7's mix of climbing up the walls by Radiohead is my fave chillout song right now. My other fave is writer's block by Just Jack, remixed by Thomas Gold. I don't find myself obsessing over anything as much as I used to. I primarily listen to music on my iPod when I'm traveling places.

Glad to see I'm not alone on this, however the amount of music I've been obsessed with is enormous. Here are some of the most prominent situations:

Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes From a Memory This album struck me right into my soul. Everything, from lyrics to instrumentals was perfect and each songs had the perfect ambient for each theme.
I used to lie down in my bed listening to this album thoroughly (something I never had done before or after this) and some songs made me shiver. First I researched about this album - google, wikipedia, everything. Most of my interpretations weren't far off, so i was pretty pleased with myself.
The next thing I felt was that I wanted to show my appreciation and support of Dream Theater; I wanted to buy the album, the real deal, t-shirts, go see them live, etc. Eventually it wore off, but I still think this album is brilliant and I still give it a listen from time to time.

Xystus - Surreal Most particularly, the last 6 songs which share a lyrical theme. Xystus is a very underrated and unknown band - I couldn't find many information on the internet, not even lyrics, which is why these few songs are still a bit of a mystery to me (I don't understand the theme completely, and the little stuff I do understand may be wrong).
Still, all of them are beautiful tracks that grew on me over time.

My most recent obsession comes in form of Remedy Lane, by Pain of Salvation. An album regarding love, sex, lust and loss, it is just perfect for someone like me who is discovering all of those things right now. I've been totally addicted to this poetic masterpiece - the lyrics are sublime, the music is great and it is a concept album which, as you've probably understood already, I enjoy.
I still don't understand this album completely, so i can safely say this addiction will last for a while as I'm still enjoying the album in its raw form, without any kind of research.
The highlight song of this album to me is the last one - Beyond the Pale. This song starts with a sole guitar and grows from there - however, the focus is on the lyrics; I've been completely absorbed by them lately. It's a song regarding betrayal, repressed lust and boundaries. It hits me deeply into my heart and soul.

Apparently PoS have lots more concept albums and some of them are related to this one, so I'm pretty sure I will enjoy this for quite a long while!

Way back when, I heard the song December by Collective Soul, its the one and only song that I have not gotten sick of. it has like 3000 plays on itunes, and who knows about my ipod.

I go through phases... my music tastes are very streaky, but whatever I am listening to I usually listen to along with the lyrics if i'm near my computer. The fall of troy has been raping my ipod lately, i can't stop listening to their shit it just boggles my mind. Another band that does this to me is dredg. These guys are musicians to the core and their songs hold so much meaning, their albums are so intricately put together.

I've been singing the chorus i guess you can call it from the fall of troy- the dark trail, for a good month...

silenced!! sleeping all day cause you know you cant escape the night
i dont have anything better to do then you
higher!! higher then i could ever get again in my life
cause i dont desire anything but you

I was thoroughly OBSESSED with dream theater when I used to frequent smogon around the last two years, but they have faded from my intrests. easily however, hendrix has taken over my room...i have about 7 posters spread all over my walls and i will forever worship him as a musician and as a person. he makes me want to do lsd...

edit oh and hendrix has taken over my ears too

I do this with Tool's music a lot... just because I imagine the meaning to the song and want to find out if anyone else agrees with me :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)