A New Era : The End of Garchomp and the Rise of.....

For as long as I have been playing competitively in DP, one Pokemon has always stood out to me as overrated and overused. That Pokemon is no doubt a great Pokemon, but talk of it being banned and that it should be Uber simply is not true. That Pokemon is Garchomp. A Pokemon that is overused even for OU, and overrated by most in my opinion. My point is, there is a Pokemon, just as powerful, if not more, and my friends, that Pokemon is Dragonite, a Pokemon who stands in shining glory as it smirks at garchomp.

Now that I'm done with my constant bantering, lets get on with the show!

Bronzong@Leftovers
Levitate
Sassy
252 HP / 128 Def / 252 Sp.Def

- Hypnosis
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Gyro Ball

Description : Bronzong is a great lead, walling most leads and hurting them with Gyro Ball. Notice the lack of attack EV's? Well that is because Bronzong usually only has 3 or 4 turns to live when I use him on Shoddy.

Strategy : The moves are used as follows : Use Hypnosis to incapacitate an opponent straight off, then use Stealth Rock as they (hypothetically) switch, or even if they don't. If they do switch, use Toxic to hamper an opponent, and if Bronzong is still alive, use Gyro Ball to rack up some damage. Now you see why I use no attack EV's - because Bronzong usually wont have the opportunity to attack with Gyro Ball.

Purpose : Bronzong's purpose is simple - to effectively put an opponent to sleep and set up Stealth Rock to make life easier for Dragonite. Toxic and damage from Gyro Ball are added bonuses.

Gallade@LifeOrb
Steadfast
Adamant
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

- Swords Dance
- Psycho Cut
- Shadow Sneak
- Close Combat

Description: Gallade is a great Pokemon, especially after a Swords Dance. It has great survivability thanks to its handy HP EV's, and can rack up serious damage

Strategy : Using Gallade is not hard due to its good survivability and resistances. You send Gallade in on a foe you doesn't like Gallade and Sword Dance on the switch. Then start attacking with its two powerful STAB moves, and its priority move. Simple and effective.

Purpose : To be a physical asset like Dragonite and to weaken opponents whose typing could hamper Dragonite, such as Ice types.

Gengar@FocusSash
Levitate
Timid
4 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spe

- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Destiny Bond

Description : A great special sweeper, thanks to its great speed and special attack, and also because of its diverse moveset. No Hypnosis because I believe one pokemon with Hypnosis is enough.

Strategy: Gengar is easy to use. Keep on attacking and when you DO get hit, use Destiny Bond (due to Gengars pitiful defense, enemy attacks should take off more than 50% of its HP, if not 100%, for which i have Focus Sash). This means Gengar should take out at least two opponents before dying.

Purpose: Gengar should take out at least two opponents before dying making life easier for my other sweepers.

Azelf@LifeOrb
Levitate
Timid
4 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spe

- Nasty Plot
- Flamethrower
- Grass Knot
- Psychic

Description : Azelf after a Nasty Plot is something no one should take lightly. It is after all, practically unstoppable, save priority moves and such. Its moveset allows for a Super Effective hit on many opponents and is overall just great.

Strategy: Nothing much to say. Set up Nasty Plot and sweep. Its better to use Azelf when knowing most of your opponents team.

Purpose : To gain knowledge of the opponents team, and to hit hard.

Deoxys@LifeOrb
Pressure
Rash
6 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spe

- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Superpower

Description: I know, it isn't maxed at speed. But why would I? For other Deoxys is the only reason, for which I already have other counters. The 252 in Spe is to outrun choice scarf abusers.

Strategy: What is there to say other than just sweep late game with a super effective move.

Purpose: Again a short statement - To clean up what Dragonite did not finish off.

Dragonite@YacheBerry
Inner Focus
Jolly
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

- Dragon Dance
- Fire Punch
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Description: The star of the lot. What can stop him after a Dragon Dance? hardly anything, especially since I reserve him till the end of the match when i know my opponents team.

Strategy : Use Dragon Dance, then sweep from there. It helps that most attacks hit for neutral.

Purpose: To take out as many enemies as possible.

Well there you have it, my team! Please rate and make corrections WHERE NECESSARY. And Thank You!!

Sorry for no pics, my computer acted weird.

You may want to rethink your formatting. People will respond alot better to that. Pictures help too. Maybe go browse some of the other ones and check for yourself what is condusive with getting a rate.

You have HP listed twice in gallades EV's, by the way.

The Edit button should be in the bottom right corner of your post.

Looking at your team, something that jumps out immediately is your extreme overlap of types. You have 4 ghost weaknesses and 3 dark, and no resists. Gengar, Azelf, and Deoxys all fill similar roles, so you can consider swapping one out for a different pokemon.

Gengar-Azelf-Deoxys-S-Gallade means half of your team is weak to Shadow Sneak, and something like Dusknoir can Burn the rest of your team (or can opt to burn Gallade as well). Spiritomb Pursuits them as well, or Sucker Punches for a good STAB super effective hit, and like Dusknoir, can inflict Burn on the rest of your Pokemon.

Status in general seems to be an issue. NOBODY here but Bronzong can take a Thunderwave and a Burnt Bronzong is essentially set-up bait. Will-o-Wisp also screws your physical sweepers and your special sweepers can't take one for them because it makes Gengars sash worthless and 12.5% burn damage plus Life Orb recoil damage adds up VERY quickly for Azelf and Deoxys. So to address your status and Spiritomb/Dusknoir issues, replace Azelf with a standard RestTalking Heatran straight from the analysis:

Heatran@Leftovers
Modest
252 HP / 96 DEF / 100 SpA / 60 SpD
~Lava Plume
~Earth Power
~Rest
~Sleep Talk

Heatran maintains your offensive theme while eating status that would otherwise annoy you. This guy can also revenge opposing Deoxys in a pinch, granted he's healthy. I only mention this because nearly all Deoxys run max speed and Shadow Ball simply to pound other Deoxys into the ground, namely your Deoxys. I'm aware Bronzong is a superb counter as well as Gengar with his Focus Sash, but under the assumption that your Bronzong dies early, as you mentioned, and with SS teams everywhere to break Focus Sashes, neither are very trustworthy.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
For such an offensive team, I would honestly make better use of resistances.

I'd add Heatran over Azelf at this point. You already have two EQ immunities in Gengar and Dragonite, and Restalk Heatran or even just Specs/Scarf Heatran will do you good especially considering that sexy Dragon/Fire/Ice resist/immunities it brings :) I just don't think Azelf does anything Gengar doesn't do anyway

Speaking of Gengar - turn that Sash, which will never be activated considering sandstorm/SR is everywhere (since you're not leading) and replace it with Life Orb. Add in Explosion over Destiny Bond and you're golden. Finally I'd use HP Ice over Thunderbolt mostly because of "Garchomp" whom your team isn't stopping after it gets a SD

Finally - Mamoswine over Gallade. Sure it's a bit random, but it can take the supposed worrying electric attacks, and STAB EQ is as good as STAB Fighting Attacks considering the steel heavy metagame. Ice Shard is always a plus considering Garchomps and Salamences and enemy Dragonites galore. Gallade's Shadow Sneak is just outdone by STAB Ice priority (Your team needs more Ice attacks!)

Hurray! Even more love for Dragonite!!

I think you need a rapid spinner, since Dragonite is weak to it, perhaps Starmie?

I think your team may be a little too offensive, but looks pretty good none the less.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)