Dragonforce

Dragonforce is meh.
I listen to them sparsely for several reasons: recycled drum beats, corny lyrics (just shut up dude), and... it's not heavy enough

pretty good speed metal though, there's not a lot of it out there.
In fact, what other good speed metal bands do you recommend?

I really like DoomMullet. He is my favorite moderator. I have only seen him edit one post, but it was a hell of an edit!

Valley of the Damned and Fury of the Storm are clearly their best two songs! There are other songs 'worth' listening to, but these outclass the others by a long shot.

If my only other options were Weird Al or All American Rejects, I'd probably like Dragonforce best too.

just saying.

Dragonforce is an aquired taste.

I like their riffs , their drumming and singing , as mentioned before is corny.

But I like the fact they play on trampolines live.

Epiic.

Dragonforce is meh.
I listen to them sparsely for several reasons: recycled drum beats, corny lyrics (just shut up dude), and... it's not heavy enough

pretty good speed metal though, there's not a lot of it out there.
In fact, what other good speed metal bands do you recommend?
If you want good metal, try Metallica, Judas Priest, etc. They pioneered '80s metal and are still making music today. If you don't mind some screaming, Shadows Fall and All That Remains is decent. All of them have respectable solos, not up to the speed of Dragonforce, but the technical work on the guitar for these bands is phenomonal. Many of these band's songs have heavy riffs, something you mentioned that you liked.

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Dragonforce really isn't that bad, but I agree with jrrrrrrr that their live performances are not nearly as good as their studio recordings. They still have a few good songs, but compared to other power metal bands, like Sonata Arctica, Helloween, Kamelot and hell, Children of Bodom (A band which, unlike Dragonforce, sounds as good live as they do in their recordings), they are really nothing special. They will be playing live for the Metal Mayhem concert in Chicago, but then again, they aren't my highest priority.

Holy shit could I go on for hours about how awful Dragonforce is.

When a band is only popular because of a videogame you know something's wrong.

Speed metal shit ain't art, man. It ain't fucking art.

If you want good metal, try Metallica, Judas Priest, etc. They pioneered '80s metal and are still making music today. If you don't mind some screaming, Shadows Fall and All That Remains is decent. All of them have respectable solos, not up to the speed of Dragonforce, but the technical work on the guitar for these bands is phenomonal. Many of these band's songs have heavy riffs, something you mentioned that you liked.
Yeah, Judas Priest is great.
All that Remains, i'm getting used to.
COB i love.

Holy shit could I go on for hours about how awful Dragonforce is.

When a band is only popular because of a videogame you know something's wrong.

Speed metal shit ain't art, man. It ain't fucking art.
I could go on for a few lines about how stupid that comment is, and it looks as if I will. The band was immediately noticed over Valley of the Damned, and it gained popularity, but then it exploded in popularity for such things as, gee, I do not know, touring aggressively as fuck and with big bands like Iron Maiden and at Ozzfest. They built up a ridiculously huge fanbase in the eastern asian countries on their own, Iron Maiden got them Europe, and they have toured plenty over here in North America. Since power metal is most popular of all in South America, I am sure they must have immense popularity there too, but I am ignorant as to that. My point is that this all came before Guitar Hero fucking existed.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
uhh "speed metal" goes much farther back than dragonforce. if your only impression of "speed metal" is from shitty modern power metal bands, you probably shouldn't be dismissing the genre so easily.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
uhh "speed metal" goes much farther back than dragonforce. if your only impression of "speed metal" is from shitty modern power metal bands, you probably shouldn't be dismissing the genre so easily.
Speed metal is just a term that throws together early power/thrash.

I mean what bands are actually speed metal?

Cacophony?
Early Helloween/Blind Guardian?

It's just power or thrash metal with which it all started anyway. Speed metal doesn't mean anything except the metal is played at speed (what sort of speed do you mean anyway?)

To me that's really an obsolete moniker.

Wow. I completely agree. You just named off practically all of my favorite bands in one paragraph (except for GnR and Ozzy).

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
@ altmer: probably the early power metal bands that have very little connection to the modern scene, like manilla road.

goddamnit no

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no why wont this fucking terrible band just die already

I could seriously go on for ages about all the bad things about Dragonforce but anyone into metal enough to care already knows how ubiquitous and annoying they are, even people not interested in power metal use them as an example of everything wrong with the poppy, keyboard drenched wankery of the modern style.

fuck it the main reason for looking at this thread involves liking power metal and/or not knowing any good PM bands so here Ima set you maggots straight 8)

PM bands you should be listening to instead of dragonforce-

Classic 80's scene from before Stratovarius and the shitty flower metal trend:
Slauter Xstroyes, Adramelch, Jag Panzer, Crimson Glory, Dark Quarterer, Running Wild, Grave Digger, Pretty Maids, Sortilege, High Power, Manilla Road, Fates Warning, Helstar, Omen, Brocas Helm, Satan, Metal Church, Savatage, Heir Apparent, Rage, Liege Lord

Seminal more recent stuff: Lost Horizon, Tad Morose, Persuader, Kiuas, Hibria, Burning In Hell, The Lord Weird Slough Feg, Twisted Tower Dire, Wolf, Outworld, Cauldron Born

that's leaving out the super obvious big names of course

dragonforce is really a joke; it's fun for a listen as guitar wank, but the band really has no artistic merit whatsoever

also, if you want to see a really good asian guitarist, check these guys out:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=354785850

i saw this guy at my little local music hub a few days ago, and he is quite literally one of the most amazing guitarists i have ever seen

hes so fucking intense, too; you wouldnt think to expect that deep blues growl from this scrawny asian guy, but goddamn, he gets into it: at one point, he started playing with his fucking teeth

HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN

Really though, I don't like them at all, playing that fast doesn't make you talented.

Also just to let you know anyone who complains about the GH3 intro, its played on a Spanish Acoustic guitar not a keyboard, and it's not that hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)