DP Azumarill

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I mentioned this in the underrated sweeper topic...before realized this wasn't a sweeper >_> Anyway, I hinted at it there but I figured it would be off topic, so I'm putting it here.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/azumarill

[SET]
Name: RestTalk Azumarill
Move 1: Rest
Move 2: Sleep Talk
Move 3: Waterfall
Move 4: Double-Edge
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SPe
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Huge Power

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This helps absorbs status for the team, while also hitting the opponent from 438 Attack with two 120 BP attacks that hit all of the standard metagame besides Empoleon for neutral damage. This Azumarill is also bulkier than the standard Starmie, by 18.6% on both sides of the spectrum.</p>

<p>To better understand how effective this Azumarill is, a simple comparative analysis can be made with a similar set, Rest + Sleep Talk Machamp. Speed and Special Attack are going to be ignored for this analysis because both Pokemon are essentially "expected" to go last and neither is ever going to use a Special move. This Machamp generally runs 252 HP / 252 Attack Adamant for 384 HP / 394 Atk / 196 Def / 206 SpD, and has Dynamicpunch and Stone Edge as its two main attacks. This Azumarill reaches 404 HP / 438 Atk / 196 Def / 196 SpD, and has Waterfall and Double-Edge as its two main attacks.</p>

<p>Azumarill is 5% more physically bulky, about as specially bulky, and 11.1% more powerful. Its Water + Normal attacks have at least as efficient coverage as Machamp's Fighting + Rock attacks. Machamp's advantages are in Dynamicpunch's Confusion and the fact that Fighting is such a useful offensive attacking type. Essentially, Azumarill and Machamp perform this Rest + Sleep Talking job comparatively well, and both have their slight advantages.</p>

<p>Other options for Azumarill include Superpower and Ice Punch, yet note that Azumarill cannot have both on the same set. Return is also a possibility if the recoil of Double-Edge is not desirable.</p>

with two 120 BP attacks that have perfect coverage in OU (besides Empoleon)
Although I clearly understand what you mean, I think it would be more grammatically correct/clear to say "with two 120 BP attacks that hit all of OU besides Empoleon for neutral damage." Although technically Empoleon is BL and not OU according to Smogon.

To me, your comparison to Machamp seems a bit overly drawn out. I think all the important information can be reduced to a sentence or two, like "This Azumarill is both bulkier and more powerful than a similar RestTalking Machamp, and with a more defensive typing, although Machamp's Dynamicpunch provides confusion and a better attacking type."

Also, I think Huge power needs to be listed in the actual set since Azumarill also has Thick Fat.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Another dredge set that should probably go up. Any comments?

Testimonial: After I read the stat calcs, I got interested in this and checked it myself but replacing my own STalking Champ. I defiantly prefer this over him because of his typing and the added bulkiness. Plus Water and Normal offer good coverage where as champ might not with DPunch and Stone Edge/Ice Punch

Another dredge set that should probably go up. Any comments?

Testimonial: After I read the stat calcs, I got interested in this and checked it myself but replacing my own STalking Champ. I defiantly prefer this over him because of his typing and the added bulkiness. Plus Water and Normal offer good coverage where as champ might not with DPunch and Stone Edge/Ice Punch
from my playtesting his water typing really comes in handy.

i've seen these kinds of azumarill before and when ever they are not getting 2hkoed by stabbed SE moves they tend to be annoying sturdy thanks to azu's water typing and 100/80/80 defenses it also still can hurt like hell thanks to huge power which is better than alot of sleep talkers can say thanks to stab physcial water (which gets really good coverage alone) and a normal attack usally return because when your 100/80/80 you want to last a while and double edge while having plenty of power with huge power behind it does cause alot of recoil which with azu's mere 50 base speed may cause too much to rest it off in time before something uses it to get a OHKO off azu which would normally be a 2hko.

This helps absorb status for the team
Remove the "s" at the end of "absorb".

with two 120 BP attacks that hits all of the standard metagame
Add an "s" at the end of "hit".

besides Empoleon for atleast neutral damage
Small nitpick but it sounds better.

neither one is ever going to use a Special move
Sounds better.

Azumarill is 5% bulkier physically
I'm thinking a comma might be needed here but I'm not sure so I'll wait for a 2nd opinion.

about as bulky specially
Sounds better but I'm not too sure all up to you.

has at least as efficient a coverage as Machamp's Fighting + Rock attacks.
Sounds better imo.

but note that Azumarill cannot have both on the same set
"but" > "yet".

Return is also a possibility if the recoil from Double-Edge is not desirable
"from" > "of".

Good job thanks have a nice day ^^.

As a final option Mega Kick can be suggested over Double-Edge as it packs the same base power but no recoil. Granted, its accuracy is 75%, but if one were to want to have no recoil while still maintaining a 120 Base Power Normal-type move, Mega Kick would be the way to go.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As a final option Mega Kick can be suggested over Double-Edge as it packs the same base power but no recoil. Granted, its accuracy is 75%, but if one were to want to have no recoil while still maintaining a 120 Base Power Normal-type move, Mega Kick would be the way to go.
While this is true, you lose coverage that you gain through Normal - Water. Plus, I'm not a huge fan of 75% acc moves.... (stupid Hypno)

I already pointed out it is a "120 Base Power Normal-type move", so it wouldn't be losing that Water+Normal type coverage.

Check my quote in your post.

You could always mention Body Slam in the other options for a bit of para support since Azu is quite slow and providing some team support is quite nice.

Yeah, but Return almost has the power of Mega Kick, and considering that Mega Kick has so low accurcy, there really isn't a point using Meta Kick. Just saying.

I would consider using Body Slam as an option over Double-Edge. Since the set is durable enough to take a few hits, it will more than likely be able to Paralyze something and try to flinch it to death with Huge Power STABed Waterfalls.

Ice Punch could also be an option to take the popular dragons, but Water/ Ice doesn't give the best coverage.

In your EV section, it should be "Spe", not "SPe". That's all I have really. I'm more accustomed to the Banded set.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Agreeing Ice Punch or Body Slam to be options over Double-Edge. Actually I almost prefer Body Slam since Paraflinching is very possible with this set... so could King's Rock work too (can't remember if it stacks with Waterfall, sorry). I know the goal of the set but I think Life Orb could be a possible option as well since he's not bad at taking hits and adding more power is never a bad thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)