Haven't played for months.

INTRODUCTION

Since I'm not sure how the current metagame is working out, and since I can't seem to get Shoddy working right now, I figure I'd see how my team would work these days. Not that it's perfect, which is another reason why I'm asking for it to be rated.

THE TEAM

Azelf @ Choice Scarf
Rash - Levitate

252 SpAtk / 252 Speed / 6 Atk
~Thunderbolt
~Flamethrower
~Explosion
~U-Turn

This thing works wonders. Anything that can be potentially swept? Thunderbolt or Flamethrower. A definite threat to the team? Explosion. A problem to Azelf? U-Turn. This thing hits fast, and hard.

Choice Scarf allows it to outspeed most unscarfed (and scarfed!) leads, and Rash emphasizes its immense SpAtk.

I chose to only use 6 Atk since the physical moves which Azelf will be using will mean that Azelf will only be on the field for one turn and therefore will have no physical sweeping potential.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Adamant - Intimidate

216 HP / 16 Atk / 176 Def / 100 Speed
~Earthquake
~Waterfall
~Dragon Dance
~Ice Fang

BulkyDos designed to DD, and nothing more. This is designed to swap into things like ScarfCross and CBChomp (provided they're not using Stone Edge), set up, and absolutely dominate the team.

I run Ice Fang instead of Taunt, purely for type coverage. The bulky aspect of this set allows you to set up a couple of DDs, and then lets you eliminate anything coming your way. With 2 or more Dragon Dances, it's hard not to 6-0 an opponent.

Electivire @ Expert Belt
Lonely - Motor Drive

112 Atk / 252 Speed / 144 SpAtk
~Thunderbolt
~Ice Punch
~Cross Chop

~Earthquake

I finally caved in and added this instead of a MixApe. This has really great coverage, and as stated on the analysis hits 13/17 types for super-effective. This is my take on the mixed set, running maximum speed as well as a +SpAtk nature and a lower amount of SpAtk EVs, which IMHO is acceptable since the only Special move also has STAB.

Dugtrio @ Life Orb
Jolly - Arena Trap

252 Atk / 252 Speed / 6 HP
~Aerial Ace
~Earthquake
~Stone Edge
~Sucker Punch

My new revenge killer, and this has so-far served me very well. Aerial Ace for things like Infernape and Heracross, EQ for STAB, Stone Edge for fliers and Sucker Punch for Deoxys-E removal.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Relaxed - Levitate

252 HP / 128 SpDef / 128 Atk
~Gyro Ball
~Stealth Rock
~Hypnosis
~Earthquake

Replacement for Donphan. Helps resist Deoxys-S, and adds a dragon resist. Used to set up Stealth Rock to help deter Focus Sash users, and can alternatively be used as a lead to do so, whilst also having Hypnosis as another option.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Bold - Natural Cure

252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpDef
~Aromatherapy
~Thunder Wave
~Seismic Toss
~Softboiled

Another uber-tank.

Special sweeper? No problem. Swap in Blissey, take the hit, and Thunder Wave on the enemy switch. Used to cripple sweepers, heal friendly status problems and overall be annoying. Using this set, I've out-stalled and killed a CBDugtrio locked into Earthquake. It's another very durable feature of this team.

SUMMARY

There's my team. It was primarily used in early DP, however, I'm not too sure how it would fare now. Please no "this has problems with Create-A-Pokemon X", because I don't care about them, and I (had) this team built on my Pearl cartridge, too. I'm absolutely useless when it comes to identifying threats to teams, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys. :)

I recommend replacing Donphan with Bronzong because from the looks of it, your team is very weak to Deoxys-S. Bronzong helps take care of that problem and gives you a dragon resist.

I recommend replacing Donphan with Bronzong because from the looks of it, your team is very weak to Deoxys-S. Bronzong helps take care of that problem and gives you a dragon resist.
Deoxys-S or Deoxys-E? I'm only concerned with OU gameplay.

e: Unless they're the same thing? Heh.

The fast deoxys is overuse now. Also I like hiddenpower ice on infernape instead of np. Also icebeam for aromatherapy is better option really imo.

I've added a standard support Bronzong, and will now hope to experiment with it a bit, as well as changing Aromatherapy to Ice Beam on Blissey. Any other suggestions?

Also I like hiddenpower ice on infernape instead of np
I don't think I need it. Nasty Plot can be used on a predicted switch, though I suppose it does help curb a Garchomp issue.

Whilst I know it hasn't quite been 24 hours yet, I won't be online for the rest of the day, so *bump*.

Wow this team looks like every team I fought when d/p came out lol.

Right now deoxys-s(e) is in the metagame. Garchomp and that same deoxys are in debate.

Any way suicide leads are common. Azelf/Aerodactyl/Deoxys-s are the most common onces. Basically they are leads that SR/sash to ensure a SR. Azelf explodes, deoxys sets up screens, and aerodactyl doesn't do much...

Azelf you have right now will lead many to think it is a suicide lead on so you can have slight momentem becase of that. Be weary of scarf sleep powders/hypnosis. If a bronzong faces any of the above mentioned it generally gyro balls first.

This is all I could do to help sorry...

Wow this team looks like every team I fought when d/p came out lol.

Right now deoxys-s(e) is in the metagame. Garchomp and that same deoxys are in debate.

Any way suicide leads are common. Azelf/Aerodactyl/Deoxys-s are the most common onces. Basically they are leads that SR/sash to ensure a SR. Azelf explodes, deoxys sets up screens, and aerodactyl doesn't do much...

Azelf you have right now will lead many to think it is a suicide lead on so you can have slight momentem becase of that. Be weary of scarf sleep powders/hypnosis. If a bronzong faces any of the above mentioned it generally gyro balls first.

This is all I could do to help sorry...
Thanks for the current summary of the metagame anyways. I knew about the Deoxys-S being OU, and about the discussion of moving Garchomp into ubers, I'm just (or wasn't) sure about common teams and usage.

I'm a little confused as to why you don't run a STAB Psychic on Azelf, given that speed, but otherwise it looks good.

I think your Blissey is having a little identity crisis. Blissey can't really do a lot with ice beam unless you run Calm Mind as well, even on Pokemon that are weak to ice. I would suggest going one way or the other. For a Calm Mind Blissey, Bring CM in for Thunder Wave, or remove Ice Beam and go Cleric with Aromatherapy, because a couple of members of your team could potentially have their attack stat crippled if they get burned (namely Garchomp and Gyarados).

I'm not sure about cutting speed EVs on Garchomp. Having 3 more HP is never worth being Outsped by every opposing Garchomp, since I've seen a lot of Garchomp run max Speed and Jolly as well

I'm a little confused as to why you don't run a STAB Psychic on Azelf, given that speed, but otherwise it looks good.

I think your Blissey is having a little identity crisis. Blissey can't really do a lot with ice beam unless you run Calm Mind as well, even on Pokemon that are weak to ice. I would suggest going one way or the other. For a Calm Mind Blissey, Bring CM in for Thunder Wave, or remove Ice Beam and go Cleric with Aromatherapy, because a couple of members of your team could potentially have their attack stat crippled if they get burned (namely Garchomp and Gyarados).

I'm not sure about cutting speed EVs on Garchomp. Having 3 more HP is never worth being Outsped by every opposing Garchomp, since I've seen a lot of Garchomp run max Speed and Jolly as well
From my experience, having both Thunderbolt and Flamethrower as opposed to running Psychic has been a lot more beneficial. They offer more type coverage, and anything which Thunderbolt or Flamethrower can't hit, I'll U-Turn on or Expode.

I've restored my Blissey to the cleric set, and raised the speed on Garchomp to maximum. The set that was on there was the standard set from a few months ago for CBchomp, so I guess I just went with that.

Suggestions in bold
INTRODUCTION

Since I'm not sure how the current metagame is working out, and since I can't seem to get Shoddy working right now, I figure I'd see how my team would work these days. Not that it's perfect, which is another reason why I'm asking for it to be rated.

THE TEAM

Azelf @ Choice Scarf
Rash - Levitate
~Thunderbolt
~Flamethrower
~Explosion
~U-Turn

This thing works wonders. Anything that can be potentially swept? Thunderbolt or Flamethrower. A definite threat to the team? Explosion. A problem to Azelf? U-Turn. This thing hits fast, and hard.

Choice Scarf allows it to outspeed most unscarfed (and scarfed!) leads, and Rash emphasizes its immense SpAtk.

I chose to only use 6 Atk since the physical moves which Azelf will be using will mean that Azelf will only be on the field for one turn and therefore will have no physical sweeping potential.

Great choice, scarfing it. He looks like he can sweep wonders with the move coverage, he looks good.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Adamant - Intimidate
~Earthquake
~Waterfall
~Dragon Dance
~Ice Fang

BulkyDos designed to DD, and nothing more. This is designed to swap into things like ScarfCross and CBChomp (provided they're not using Stone Edge), set up, and absolutely dominate the team.

I run Ice Fang instead of Taunt, purely for type coverage. The bulky aspect of this set allows you to set up a couple of DDs, and then lets you eliminate anything coming your way. With 2 or more Dragon Dances, it's hard not to 6-0 an opponent.

Standard, although Taunt might be a better option.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Hasty - Blaze
252 SpAtk / 232 Speed / 24 Atk
~Nasty Plot
~Close Combat
~Grass Knot
~Flamethrower

The standard MixApe. This thing is used as a wallbreaker and to cover any weaknesses that the team already doesn't.

I run Hasty over Naive as you're much more likely (from my experience) to see special sweepers try to take this thing down than physical ones, and it just gives you a slightly better chance of survival. Anything physical trying to take you down will use a ground move, which will kill you anyway.

Yeah, Nape is quite frail. How about switching it out for the special Electivire set? You can take advantage of electric attacks aimed straight at your Gyarados. Besides, imo the specialvire is better than the physical one.

Garchomp @ Choice Band
Jolly - Sand Veil
~Outrage
~Earthquake
~Stone Edge
~Fire Fang

Revenge kill extroadinaire, and otherwise absolute powerhouse.

Stone Edge for taking out Gyarados (which would otherwise pose a significant threat to this team and this Garchomp set particularly), Outrage for all-out blasting power against anything which isn't steel, Earthquake for afformentioned steel-types, and Fire Fang for Bronzong and friends.

Not much can stand up after a hit or two from this thing.

If I were you, I would go Dragon claw > Outrage. Outrage may be able to kill one or two pokemon, but is it really worth sacrificing Garchomp? Most skilled players know how to counter Outrage, which is why I suggest Dragon claw over it.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Sassy - Levitate
~Gyro Ball
~Stealth Rock
~Hypnosis
~Earthquake

Replacement for Donphan. Helps resist Deoxys-S, and adds a dragon resist. Used to set up Stealth Rock to help deter Focus Sash users, and can alternatively be used as a lead to do so, whilst also having Hypnosis as another option.

Looks good. He's standard so...

Blissey @ Leftovers
Bold - Natural Cure
~Aromatherapy
~Thunder Wave
~Seismic Toss
~Softboiled

Another uber-tank.

Special sweeper? No problem. Swap in Blissey, take the hit, and Thunder Wave on the enemy switch. Used to cripple sweepers, heal friendly status problems and overall be annoying. Using this set, I've out-stalled and killed a CBDugtrio locked into Earthquake. It's another very durable feature of this team.

Standard.

Overall very good looking team. Keep up the good work.

SUMMARY

There's my team. It was primarily used in early DP, however, I'm not too sure how it would fare now. Please no "this has problems with Create-A-Pokemon X", because I don't care about them, and I have this team built on my Pearl cartridge, too. I'm absolutely useless when it comes to identifying threats to teams, so any help would be appreciated.

One minor nitpick: You seem to be weak to SDGallade. After one Sd, He can practically OHKO your whole team. To help with this problem, maybe swap out someone for a Sucker Puncher, as Deoxys S can do some hefty damage to your team as well.

The Dragon Claw swap is a good idea, thanks. I'll look at adding a Sucker Puncher and possibly adding Electivire. Any other suggestions, anyone?

INTRODUCTION

THE TEAM

Azelf @ Choice Scarf
Rash - Levitate
~Thunderbolt
~Flamethrower
~Explosion
~U-Turn

Standard

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Adamant - Intimidate
~Earthquake
~Waterfall
~Dragon Dance
~Ice Fang

Standard

Infernape @ Life Orb
Hasty - Blaze
252 SpAtk / 232 Speed / 24 Atk
~Nasty Plot
~Close Combat
~Grass Knot
~Flamethrower

The standard MixApe. This thing is used as a wallbreaker and to cover any weaknesses that the team already doesn't.

I run Hasty over Naive as you're much more likely (from my experience) to see special sweepers try to take this thing down than physical ones, and it just gives you a slightly better chance of survival. Anything physical trying to take you down will use a ground move, which will kill you anyway.

IMHO, Mixape is garbage. It's way too frail to get that Nasty Plot up. Physical Sweeper all the way.

Garchomp @ Choice Band
Jolly - Sand Veil
~Dragon Claw
~Earthquake
~Stone Edge
~Fire Fang

Revenge kill extroadinaire, and otherwise absolute powerhouse.

Stone Edge for taking out Gyarados (which would otherwise pose a significant threat to this team and this Garchomp set particularly), Dragon Claw for a solid stab hit against anything which isn't steel, Earthquake for afformentioned steel-types, and Fire Fang for Bronzong and friends.

Not much can stand up after a hit or two from this thing.

Standard...though Brightpowder Chomp is just better.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Sassy - Levitate
~Gyro Ball
~Stealth Rock
~Hypnosis
~Earthquake

Standard

Blissey @ Leftovers
Bold - Natural Cure
~Aromatherapy
~Thunder Wave
~Seismic Toss
~Softboiled

Another uber-tank.

Standard

SUMMARY

There's my team. It was primarily used in early DP, however, I'm not too sure how it would fare now. Please no "this has problems with Create-A-Pokemon X", because I don't care about them, and I have this team built on my Pearl cartridge, too. I'm absolutely useless when it comes to identifying threats to teams, so any help would be appreciated.

So I gave in and replaced MixApe for Electivire.

I'm currently kinda looking for a replacement for Garchomp since it's now (apparently) Uber (a ridiculous decision, since it's far too weak for Ubers and banned from OU, effectively removing it from competitive play), so any advice would be appreciated. Maybe something along the lines of CBHera?

There's a little nitpick with Electivire's EVs that requires fixing:

232 Atk / 24 SpA EVs Mild = 340 Atk / 255 SpA stats, correct? However, let's try changing the Nature into Lonely...

112 Atk / 116 SpA EVs Lonely = 341 Atk / 255 SpA stats, and you still have 28 EVs left.

What happens here is that you increase 10% in a higher base stat, meaning the stat gets a bigger boost without any EVs. This way you get more EVs leftover. It applies to any Pokémon, and should be taken into account.

There's a little nitpick with Electivire's EVs that requires fixing:

232 Atk / 24 SpA EVs Mild = 340 Atk / 255 SpA stats, correct? However, let's try changing the Nature into Lonely...

112 Atk / 116 SpA EVs Lonely = 341 Atk / 255 SpA stats, and you still have 28 EVs left.

What happens here is that you increase 10% in a higher base stat, meaning the stat gets a bigger boost without any EVs. This way you get more EVs leftover. It applies to any Pokémon, and should be taken into account.
Thanks for the fix. I've taken the extra EVs and put them into Electivire's SpAtk. :)

Any other suggestions, anyone?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)