First Warstory: Skin of the Teeth

Hey Smogon! I'm relatively new to competitive battling (unless you count Stadium against the cpu, lol), and have been using Shoddy for a few months now. I generally like to use more "creative" pokes and sets, eschewing most OU's and standard sets, but for this match I was using a new team I made last night which actually uses a few standards. I figure a good (or at least I hope so) warstory makes for a nice introduction to the community (and hey, everyone else is doing it). Anyway, let's get on with the battle. My opponent disconnected immediately after the battle, so I'll just refer to him as "Opponent."

urza220's squad (in order of appearance):

Garchomop, Milotic, and Claydol hold Leftovers

Opponent's squad (in order of appearance):

No one on my opponent's team was holding Leftovers

Opponent's moves will look like this.
urza220's moves will look like this.
other text will look like this.
Leftovers will be removed.
Nicknames will be removed.
Sandstorm/hail damage will be removed.
Scores will be shown after each KO (urza220-Opponent)

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause
Opponent sent out Bronzong (lvl 100 Bronzong).
urza220 sent out Om Nom Nom (lvl 100 Garchomp ?).

vs.

After seeing lead Bronzong's in nearly every match when I started, I haven't encountered one in quite a while. I'm using a physical wall Garchop with Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Stealth Rock, and Roar, so I can't actually do any real damage to his Zong. While I have MixApe, I don't want to switch it into a Hypnosis, and I'm not particuarly worried about anything it can do to my Chomp, so I decide to play it safe and lay out SR.

Garchomp used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around your foe's team!
Bronzong used Reflect.
A barrier was formed!

I don't remember seeing many Zong's use screens, but I guess it's not exactly unusual. Reflect doesn't really bother me as I only have two physical attackers (Chomp and Ape). I figure now he'll lay out rocks of his own, as he probably knows Chomp can't do anything to him. I have a spinner (Claydol), but he can't do anything to Zong either, so he'd just have to switch back out after spinning, letting Zong put up rocks again. I take this opportunity to Roar him out and scout out some of his team.

Bronzong used Stealth Rock.
Garchomp used Roar.
Opponent switched in Lucario (lvl 100 Lucario ?).

vs.

Pointed stones dug into Lucario.
Lucario lost 3% of its health.

Garchomp: 100%
Lucario: 97%

This is fine for me, as I know he can't take out Chomp with anything short of a specs'ed HP Ice, so I decide not to overpredict and just go with EQ, hoping maybe he'll overpredict and stay in or something.

Opponent switched in Bronzong (lvl 100 Bronzong).

vs.

Pointed stones dug into Bronzong.
Bronzong lost 6% of its health.
Bronzong makes ground moves miss with Levitate!
Garchomp used Earthquake.
Garchomp's attack missed!

Garchomp: 100%
Bronzong: 100%

Oh, well, back to where we started. I should have figured this, seeing as most Zong's run Levitate, plus he can probably guess that my last move isn't Fire Something, otherwise I would have used it already. As I'm still pretty sure he can't do anything to me, and I really don't mind if Garchomp gets put to sleep, I decide to just do a little more scouting.

Bronzong used Gyro Ball.
Garchomp lost 26% of its health.
Garchomp used Roar.
Opponent switched in Deoxys-e (lvl 100 Deoxys-e).

vs.

Deoxys-e is exerting its pressure!
Pointed stones dug into Deoxys-e.
Deoxys-e lost 12% of its health.

Garchomp: 80%
Deoxys: 87%

Damn, I hate that thing. Deoxys has been the cleanup to many a beaten team of mine. As he's only seen Chomp at this point, I know he'll play it safe and use Ice Beam, and I don't feel like letting her die to that stupid space virus. I don't have much that can take him on, but Milotic is my best bet, as I can at the very least stall out the Life Orb with Recover.

urza220 switched in Milotic (lvl 100 Milotic ?).

vs.

Pointed stones dug into Milotic.
Milotic lost 12% of its health.
Deoxys-e used Ice Beam.
It's not very effective...
Milotic lost 9% of its health.

Milotic: 85%
Deoxys: 87%

Milotic takes the Ice Beam like a champ, and I notice the lack of Life Orb recoil on Deoxys. I figure he's sashed, but it was rendered useless thanks to SR. I'm pretty relieved that this particular Deoxys won't be raping my team quite as hard as usual. Knowing that he doesn't have Life Orb, though, means I can't stall him out with Recover, so I decide to just start wearing it down with Surf.

Opponent switched in Suicune (lvl 100 Suicune).

vs.

Suicune is exerting its pressure!
Pointed stones dug into Suicune.
Suicune lost 12% of its health.
Milotic used Surf.
Suicune lost 16% of its health.
Suicune's reflect wore off!

Milotic: 91%
Suicune: 72%

My opponent plays it safe again and switches in Suicune. The lack of Leftovers and relatively high damage from my Surf make me think this is some sort of sweeper Cune, which I have been seeing more of lately. They usually carry HP Electric, but I'm confident Milotic can take it, so I stay in to use Hypnosis . . .

Suicune used Calm Mind.
Suicune's special attack was raised.
Suicune's special defence was raised.
Milotic used Hypnosis.
Milotic's attack missed!

Milotic: 97%
Suicune: 72%

. . . which of course misses. 70% accuracy my ass. This reminds be of when I used to play Stadium and had Thunder on Jolteon as I didn't have another TM for Thunder Bolt yet, and if that really had 70% accuracy, then Bidoof is the King of France. Okay, enough ranting. Back on track, his Cune uses Calm Mind, which isn't a huge deal, as I'm still not afraid of a potential HP Electric. I keep Milotic in to try once again to put Cune to sleep.

Suicune used Hidden Power.
It's super effective!
Milotic lost 51% of its health.
Suicune lost 10% of its health.
Milotic used Hypnosis.
Suicune fell asleep!

Milotic: 52%
Suicune: 62% Sleep

Now I see Life Orb on Cune, and Milotic takes a pretty big hit from HP Electric. At this point, I want to make sure that Milotic is healthy enough to switch in later, so I go with Recover.

Opponent switched in Bronzong (lvl 100 Bronzong).

vs.

Pointed stones dug into Bronzong.
Bronzong lost 6% of its health.
Milotic used Recover.
Milotic restored 48% of its health.

Milotic: 100%
Bronzong: 94%

Milotic can't do much to Zong, but I once again don't want to switch Ape into a potential Hypnosis, so I just decide to keep Milotic in and wear down Zong.

Milotic used Surf.
Bronzong lost 29% of its health.
Bronzong used Reflect.
A barrier was formed!

Milotic: 100%
Bronzong: 65%

Even without Leftovers on Zong, Surf still looks like a 4HKO. Might as well just get as much damage on Zong as possible.

Milotic used Surf.
Bronzong lost 31% of its health.
Bronzong used Explosion.
Milotic lost 100% of its health.
urza220's Milotic fainted.
(5-6)
Opponent's Bronzong fainted.
(5-5)

Well, it turns out we were both willing to sacrifice our walls at this point, and an Explosion just sped up the process. Milotic could have still been useful, but with Cune asleep, her work wasn't in vain.

Opponent switched in Garchomp (lvl 100 Garchomp ?).
urza220 switched in Little Ninies (lvl 100 Claydol).

vs.

Pointed stones dug into Garchomp.
Garchomp lost 6% of its health.
Pointed stones dug into Claydol.
Claydol lost 6% of its health.
Garchomp used Swords Dance.
Garchomp's attack was sharply raised.
Claydol used Toxic.
Garchomp was badly poisoned!
Garchomp is hurt by poison!

Claydol: 100%
Garchomop: 87% Toxic

I bring in Claydol to Rapid Spin, but for some strange reason I click Toxic. This turns out to be a key mistake, but I suppose it just adds more drama to the story. Le sigh, might as well just put Garchomp within range for a revenge kill.

Garchomp used Outrage.
Garchomp went on a rampage!
Claydol lost 94% of its health.
Claydol used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Garchomp lost 45% of its health.
The Yache Berry weakened Ice Beam's power!
Garchomp lost 12% of its health.

Claydol: 12%
Garchomop: 30% Toxic

Claydol redeems itself here by surviving a boosted Outrage from the possibly soon to be Uber. The Toxic damage turns out to be completely pointless, and if I had used Ice Beam the turn before, I could have taken Chomp out. But it doesn't really matter as his Outrage continues and he's forced to stay in for my revenge kill.

Garchomp used Outrage.
Claydol lost 12% of its health.
urza220's Little Ninies fainted.
(4-5)
Garchomp lost 18% of its health.

Claydol: x_x
Garchomop: 12% Toxic

urza220 switched in Alakazam (lvl 100 Alakazam ?).

vs.

Pointed stones dug into Alakazam.
Alakazam lost 12% of its health.
Alakazam used Psychic.
Garchomp lost 12% of its health.
Opponent's Garchomp fainted.
(4-4)
Alakazam lost 10% of its health.
Garchomp's reflect wore off!

Alakazam: 78%

Alakazam is meant for late game cleanup, but he'll take a revenge kill if he can get it.

Opponent switched in Metagross (lvl 100 Metagross).

vs.

Pointed stones dug into Metagross.
Metagross lost 6% of its health.
Metagross used Pursuit.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Alakazam lost 78% of its health.
urza220's Alakazam fainted.
(3-4)

Metagross: 94%

What a facepalm moment. I didn't want to stay in to Focus Blast Metagross as it wouldn't OHKO, and I knew that a Meteor Mash could knock Zam into 5th gen. However, I totally forgot about Pursuit, as I rarely see Gross carrying it. The crit wasn't necessary, but it just added a little insult to my misplay.

urza220 switched in Om Nom Nom (lvl 100 Garchomp ?).

vs.

Pointed stones dug into Garchomp.

Garchomp used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Metagross lost 77% of its health.
Metagross used Meteor Mash.
Garchomp lost 36% of its health.
Metagross's attack was raised.

Garchomp: 44%
Metagross: 17%

Chomp fails to KO Gross as it's a wall and doesn't pack any attack EV's. Gross does pretty sad damage with the mash, however, so I know I can finish it off . . .

Metagross used Bullet Punch.
A critical hit!
Garchomp lost 44% of its health.
urza220's Om Nom Nom fainted.
(2-4)

Metagross: 17%

. . . barring a CH Bullet Punch. It took me awhile to figure out how, even with a crit, Bullet Punch did more than mash figuring average damage, but then I finally realized he got an attack raise from the mash. Even with the attack raise, however, the crit mattered, as Chomp would have survived and KO'ed, so I was pretty upset by it.

urza220 switched in Infernape (lvl 100 Infernape ?).

vs.

Pointed stones dug into Infernape.
Infernape lost 12% of its health.
Metagross used Bullet Punch.
Infernape lost 25% of its health.
Infernape used Flamethrower.
It's super effective!
Metagross lost 17% of its health.
Opponent's Metagross fainted.
(2-3)
Infernape lost 10% of its health.

Infernape: 47%

Smogon standard MixApe with HP Ice. I normally try to not use standards, especially those with sets right off of Smogon, as I find them easy to predict. However, I have been fighting a lot of stall teams recently, and they always give me a hard time, so I figure why not use one of the best wall breakers there is.

Opponent switched in Lucario (lvl 100 Lucario ?).

vs.

Pointed stones dug into Lucario.
Lucario lost 3% of its health.
Lucario used Extremespeed.
Infernape lost 46% of its health.
Lucario lost 10% of its health.
Infernape used Flamethrower.
It's super effective!
Lucario lost 84% of its health.
Opponent's Lucario fainted.
(2-2)
Infernape lost 7% of its health.
urza220's Infernape fainted.
(1-2)

Infernape hangs on with 1% and gets the KO with Flamethrower. LO recoil takes him out, but if Extremespeed had KO'ed Ape, that would have been gg right there.

Opponent switched in Deoxys-e (lvl 100 Deoxys-e).
urza220 switched in Glacia (lvl 100 Glaceon ?).

vs.

Deoxys-e is exerting its pressure!
Pointed stones dug into Deoxys-e.
Deoxys-e lost 12% of its health.
Pointed stones dug into Glaceon.
Glaceon lost 25% of its health.
Deoxys-e used Superpower.
It's super effective!
Glaceon lost 74% of its health.
Deoxys-e's attack was lowered.
Deoxys-e's defence was lowered.
Glaceon used Shadow Ball.
It's super effective!
Deoxys-e lost 75% of its health.
Opponent's Deoxys-e fainted.
(1-1)

Glaceon: 1%

My opponent thought a long time about this move, though I'm not sure why, as Superpower was easily the best choice unless he was carrying the rare (as far as I've seen) Psycho Boost. I can only guess that he was running a damage calc to see which would have the better chance of a KO. This is actually a Scarf Glaceon meant to switch into and OHKO Yache Chomp, though I'm glad I saved it for the end instead (I didn't switch it in earlier as SR was on the field and I was afraid of Outrage, but that was probably just overcautious playing on my part). Now I just have to hope that Shadow Ball KO's Cune before it wakes up . . .

Opponent switched in Suicune (lvl 100 Suicune).

vs.

Suicune is exerting its pressure!
Pointed stones dug into Suicune.
Suicune lost 12% of its health.
Suicune lost 25% of its health.
Suicune is fast asleep!

Glaceon: 1%
Suicune: 25% Sleep

Please, RNG, be kind to me . . .

Suicune lost 25% of its health.
Opponent's Suicune fainted.
(1-0)
urza220 wins!
Opponent has left the room.

And Glaceon pulls it out! I was literally on the edge of my seat for the conclusion. I guess my opponent wasn't quite as excited about the finish as he immediately disconnected without as much as a gg. On to the seemingly obligatory props and slops section.

PROPS
-Glaceon and Infernape for surviving with 1% to get the crucial KO's
-My Garchomp for doing something other than sweeping an entire team :)
-Anyone who read through this entire warstory

SLOPS
-My opponent's Metagross for bitch-slapping Alakazam in the face and then finishing off my Garchomp
-Me for not just switching in Glaceon to KO Garchomp when I had the chance
-Some game-changing hax, but I think it made the end more intense

So that's it. Let me know what you think, and I appreciate any and all comments and criticism.

This log was formatted using Warmachine Version 1.0

heh, that was a good match. Glaceon did a surprisingly good job, cleaning up the shit.

and yeah, I read the entire thing.

You rarely see Metagross with Pursuit? Lucky you.
I've fought plenty of them, and this is the first time I can remember one using Pursuit. I know it's not an uncommon move (as far as the Smogon analysis shows, anyway), but I forgot about it as I haven't seen one use it before.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I actually remember battling this team once. Scarf Glaceon was a nasty surprise . . . I mean, I usually run -speed glaceon on my UU team so it really came out of left field for me. nice warstory, though I dislike colors . . .

Nice to see Shadow Ball get some nice use too. It's always been one of those moves that "fits" with glaceon, but I find in UU, the opponents it deals with well are opponent who can be beaten by ice beam/hidden power. Worked like a charm here though.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You can't really complain about Hypnosis missing on the first try. That is a very valid demonstration of 70% accuracy. It's like rolling a 3-sided die then complaining because it rolled a 3 on the first test.

The opponent's Deoxys was likely the "Counter" set.

TBH I didn't have high hopes going into this warstory that it would be any good as it's your first post, but this is pretty good. GG!

I like how Garchomp has Stealth Rock and it wasn't a sweeping type, like you said the props

I love it when people use Alakazam, or old R/B/Y Pokemon on a Team, besides Snorlax. ALso Glaceon, is a good one too

SceptileGen: Like I said, this is a new team, and I haven't really used Alakazam since 1st Gen (where he was amazing). He doesn't get much love anymore, despite being faster than and hitting harder than Azelf, while having some other fun toys, like Encore, that Azelf doesn't get. Lack of something to effectively deal with Blissey, though, like Explosion, doesn't help his cause.

ChouToshio: Shadow Ball is almost required on Scarf Glaceon for lack of other decent special moves. As it is, his 4th slot is Baton Pass for scouting out counters.

Chris is me: Yeah, I know Hypnosis doesn't hit every time, but I just seem to always have poor luck with 70% accuracy moves. I realize my little rant was probably a bit much, though! I also looked at the "Counter" set on the analysis page, and I'm not sure that's what it was running since he didn't have Leftovers and he also hit Glaceon with a Superpower. I think it was just a standard sweeper but had Expert Belt over Life Orb (probably not a sash like I said in my comments during the match as Deoxys needs a power boost and he wasn't running a spinner).

133tSneasel: I'm actually working on a team that will be my main team from Stadium with updated moves. :)

Thanks for all the comments so far, and I'm glad most of you seemed to enjoy the warstory.

Thought this looked familiar...

I was urza's opponent. The reason I left immediately after the battle is because I was on a losing streak at the time, so I was in a bit of a bad mood...sorry about that. It was a pretty decent match, in hindsight.

That Deoxys has the standard Superpower/Shadow Ball/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt moveset, with an Expert Belt. I was actually checking out Glaceon's stats on Serebii after you switched it in, because I forgot what its defenses were. Immediately after seeing 'em, I remember thinking "shit, this might not KO him..."

And whaddya know, it didn't. ;( Anyways, good game.

hmmm..you'd wonder why he wouldn't just go to suicune against infernape to just make it waste like 30%, making bullet punch and xspeed gaurantee to ko the infernape, then lucario just finishes up on glaceon

I'm guessing that with Metagross at 17%, he considered him fodder for a safe switch, and that Extremespeed would KO (which it very nearly did).

That's right...Though I should have at least switched Suicune in after Metagross for some extra Life Orb recoil to guarantee a KO with Extremespeed. Bringing Lucario in right away was a mistake.

Good warstory, I was actually contemplating running a similar Glaceon to surprise yachechomps.

nice warstory, though I dislike colors . . .
Oh dear, I hope chou doesn't resent me for making adding colors to warstories so easy >.> (to be fair, I actually prefer bold with no colors as well).

Do many people here dislike the colors? I ask because I might put up another warstory later tonight (also featuring some epic Glaceon).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)