Hey guys, First post ever. Big Noob seeks Constructive Critz.

Foreword:

Well, this is indeed my first post on Smogon. Needless to say, I am quite intimidated, as I know that there are many, many trainers here who have umpteen times the experience and wisdom that I do.

Knowing this, I would like to say first off, that I am here humbly, showing a team that, in my opinion, seems to fit the important criteria that has been discussed throughout the many pages of forum that I have read. The team has a starter, set up, sweepers, support, and a wall. It is important for raters to note, that my wall in Blissey is put there simply because I am not familiar with wall play, and from what I have read, she is one of the best.

With all of this said, I am quite aware that my team is unoriginal, and that the movesets I use are standard. The reason for this, is simply that all of my "original" movesets, which I had thought were good, were put to shame as soon as I read the strategic pokedex. Thus, I have used those movesets, as well as the nature and EV's that correspond with the specific roles of the pokemon selected. I will pose questions and variables as the team goes on, and I would love any input as far as improvement goes.
Another important note, I have been playing since R/B/Y and have become attatched to certain pokemon along the way. This team was formed in part, by my like of each pokemon specifically, with no real regard to how awesome the stats are. I also have to admit, that there is a certain amount of "shallowness" in my selection, as 1) I need to like the way that my pokemon look. 2) I don't really want to put amazingly powerful pokemon eg. Salamence etc. etc. just because they are quote-unquote "the best". I hope that all of this makes sense, and thanks for bearing with me.

The Team:

The Lead: Infernape @ Focus Sash - Naive

~ Fake Out
~ Stealth Rock
~ Fire Blast
~ Close Combat
48 Atk / 252 SpA / 208 Spe

Infernape is the newest addition, and made lead, because I realized that I most likely should have something to generate some extra damage. In actuality, my Jolteon who will come later was going to lead, and (hopefully) effectively set things up for my team. I like the fact that this guy has speed, and some neat moves that really make him quite unique. Stealth rock appeals to me for obvious reasons, and the combo of Fire blast and Close combat allow this guy to just step up, and let her fly. I don't really know, but I assume that this guy is meant to go out in a big blaze of glory, which seems fine, as the next pokemon sets up the possibility of my sweep.

The Support: Jolteon @ Leftovers - Timid

~ Baton Pass
~ Agility
~ Substitute
~ Thunderbolt
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Okie. Well, this is the only real original choice in a move, and by that I mean Agility. I don't know if this order is right but here is how I would think it should go: Jolt comes out, pops an Agility. Rolls into a Sub, and then throws the speed boost to the next poke. If I am going to my dragonite, I would forgoe the Agility, however, If I were going to Lucario, I would put it up, and give him superior speed for a sweep. Thunderbolt is obvious here as well, it's a great move. Next comes one of three possible choices for some total (i hope) domination.

The Old School Beatdown: Dragonite @ Lum Berry - Adamant

~ Dragon Dance
~ Outrage
~ Fire Punch / Fire Blast
~ Earthquake
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

So, Dragonite comes out with the substitute in place, and starts to dance, followed by his big moves. I went with the Adamant nature because I thought that a buffed speed from agility would be sweet, and let dragonite outrun a lot of quick opponents. The rest of the appearance is pretty standard

The New School Ankle Biter: Lucario @ Life Orb - Adamant

~ Close Combat
~ Swords Dance
~ ExtremeSpeed
~ Stone Edge
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

This guy is pretty similar, as he comes out and starts to dance, and then make hamburger out of the other team. Extreme for quick attacks, and Edge and CC for some nice damaging moves. Nice if he can come into one of Blissey's wishes (if that's the way I set her up.).

Twinkle Twinkle Little SpinStar : Starmie @ Leftovers - Timid

~ Ice Beam / Thunderbolt
~ Rapid Spin
~ Recover
~ Surf
160 HP / 132 SpA / 216 Spe

Well, after reading much of the forum chatter, and the strategic pokedex, I came to the conclusion that I would definitely need to have some sort of spinner on my team. I also needed something to help with a little special attack lovin' on the side. I don't really know which attack to remove when it comes to thunderbolt/icebeam, and therefore would ask someone to give me some advice. At any rate, I thought that Starmie was a solid choice, and also, have had a thing for her since the anime days of old.

Finally, a Big Ball of Wall: Blissie @ Leftovers - Bold

~ Ice Beam
~ Thunderbolt
~ Toxic
~ Softboiled
148 HP / 252 Def / 108 SpA

Finally, Blissey: I don't really know how to use her effectively in a team, and after much deliberation, I felt that she would be best set up like so. I realized that I couldn't get wish on her in actual game play, and therefore, declined the WishBliss set up. Like this, she seems to cover some remaining team weaknesses, while setting up problems, and walling at the same time. ClericBlissey also appeals to me as she could get rid of status effects though, I don't know how totally useful that would be. I was also wondering if the WishBliss would be most effective, and would play that in MetaGame while running this blissey set up in the real game or on Wi-Fi.

Conclusion:

So there it is, for your deliberation, and I hope that my first post hasn't been too embarrassing or hard to read. I really want to learn, and that is why I am doing this. Also, I know absolutely no one on this site, and am planning to partake in the tutoring program, however, I would love to use this post as an opportunity to meet some people that I could possibly play against and learn from. Thanks so much guys, If I left anything out that you need to have on here, make sure to let me know.

Perogie~!!!

Blissey just isn't as great without Wish. If you really need something to take status, try a ResTalker.

The rest of the team looks great. Baton Pass isn't the best of moves anymore, but if you'd like to keep it, I do have a couple of suggestions. First of all, you have a 3x weakness to ground type attacks. This is made even worse by the fact that one of these ground weaks is passing to another ground weak. Dragonite works great as a ground resist, but when it has been KOed, you'll be put in a tight situation by the fact you now have no resists.

Also, is there any reason for Lum Berry on Nite? Substitute will block status just as well. Yache Berry would probably work better to give Nite extra time to set up.

Hey, Thanks so much for the first response!

I actually thought the Lum would work well with the whole Outrage scenario, and liked how that seemed to play out. The 3x ground resist is an issue, now, would a different lead work, to remove the ground issue of the start? Or should something else take a hike, Like Jolteon for example, to be replaced with something not vulnerable to ground. That choice, however, doesn't give me any STAB electric kiddoes. LOL. This is why I am here, as I can't make the decisions myself.

***edit*** I know he is UU, but what about putting a Leafeon into the mix instead of the Jolteon? I would run him with this moveset:

~ Leaf Blade
~ Swords Dance
~ Baton Pass
~ Substitute

I don't know if that is just totally stupid, or if there are other options, but the thought just occurred to me.***

Thanks for giving me some stuff to ponder, Keep the Critiques comin! :D

Thanks for the advice. Now, would you say that Leafeon is a good choice for the swap, or would there be something else to use.

I'm not married to the whole baton pass thing, I am, however intrigued by the ability to set up a sub and let another poke set up.

thanks,

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm not too sure if I like Jolteon, especially because it adds an unnecessary weakness, for one, and two, you really don't gain much from Agility passing considering Lucario doesn't need the speed boost to sweep and Dragonite has Dragon Dance (and gets killed by mamoswine anyway). Since you're running a spinner - I would replace that Jolteon with a Bulky Gyarados - something that can give your team that extra offense, and a decent switch into Mamoswine. It can even work as a Restalker, giving you that status absorption you might have wanted. If you *really* want to Agility pass then I recommend getting something like a Zapdos instead, who can run that set without that EQ weakness, although I really find it a bit silly :|

I really don't like that Dragonite - I would consider running Bulky Mence instead so SD Lucario and Heracross doesn't rampage through your team. It can also set up and sweep, so I think Mence will give you a better bang for that slot.

The big issue with this team is that you have to be really careful not to let anything set up too much considering you have no "escape button". So keep that in mind when you play the team.

Man, I knew that I had improvements to make but holy!!! I like your ideas, however, doesn't the whole mence, gyarados, starmie combo put me at a weakness to electric? Or is it that there just isn't much of a market for ele anymore? As far as an escape button goes, would that same leafeon make a nice option in it's ability to Roar? I sure have lots to think about...any other advice is very very welcome.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
most electric users will be special, save electivire - which means Blissey can wall them fine. Leafeon is too slow to be an "escape button" - I meant stuff like Deoxys E or even scarfran.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)