CAP 5 CAP 5 - Part 8 (Art Poll 3)

Who's art should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still stand by my decision for supporting YDG as most fitted for speedy special sweeping, what with its Porygon-Z vibe. And yes I am aware that PZ is actually not very fast, but to me it feels looks faster than it is.

I voted for Cyzir because, quite honestly, it has the best design IMHO. I think it is creative and well-executed.

My only qualm would be that it doesn't quite look 130 speed (and yes, I know it's a queen piece), but imagination and design trump all in this case, and I feel this remains true in the finals.

Also, Cyzir's design was the last of my favorites (other than my own :P) to not be eliminated. But that's not to say the other designs are bad; rather, this is a testament to the quality of art this round.

Looking forward to the next art poll, hope you all will look out for me.

(Although, perhaps I won't spend quite so much time on a design, this one kind of wore me out...)

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Does anybody else get the feeling that yDG's actually looks more like a Rock/Steel type? =/

Voted Cyzir. Seriously, that one should win.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
Does anybody else get the feeling that yDG's actually looks more like a Rock/Steel type? =/

Voted Cyzir. Seriously, that one should win.
All those stuff about type or stat is relative.

Does Mewtwo looks fast?
Does Jynx looks like a Ice type?

Does Mewtwo looks fast?
I agree, to a degree. I tend to be very lenient when it comes to aesthetics and such -- gameplay mechanics, balance, and the like represent the artistic side of game design. Once those details are established, the conceptual artwork should be left up to the artist's own artistic interpretation.

But, it is desirable and logical to have a concept art be within imagination's reach of the projected gameplay mechanics. Just because there is an element of freedom in the design doesn't mean you should stray completely away from details such as type, stats, etc.

That's why I feel CyzirVisheen's concept has the best balance of these elements. I really can't see it any other way.

But I don't know why you bring this up, Caladbolg. If I remember correctly, you criticized many an artwork in the Art Submissions thread, saying things looked "too physical" or "too bulky" quite a bit. (I think you said Regi DS's design was too "Psychic-looking"...?) Well, it works both ways, ya know...

EDIT: And more people need to get in there and vote for CYZIRVISHEEN!

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Does Mewtwo looks fast?
Stats is one thing, yeah. Celebi doesn't look very bulky, I honestly wouldn't have expected Purugly to be so fast, etc. But generally, it's possible to discern at least one of the typings a Pokemon has, or at least get in the vicinity. While Jynx's Ice typing's difficult to see, you can generally approximate that it's probably a Psychic type (since it doesn't really look like any of the others. Rock? Nah. Ghost? Maybe, but it seems a little solid for that. Fire? Probably not. Normal? Maybe. But most normals are usually pinkish/white in coloring.). In yDG's case, the body seems a lot like it's made of Rock, but the claws give the impression of Steel.

It's relative, yeah, but it's much, much easier to look at something and think it's a Rock/Steel type, than to guess it's fast, or somesuch.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
I agree, to a degree. I tend to be very lenient when it comes to aesthetics and such -- gameplay mechanics, balance, and the like represent the artistic side of game design. Once those details are established, the conceptual artwork should be left up to the artist's own artistic interpretation.

But, it is desirable and logical to have a concept art be within imagination's reach of the projected gameplay mechanics. Just because there is an element of freedom in the design doesn't mean you should stray completely away from details such as type, stats, etc.

But I don't know why you bring this up, Caladbolg. If I remember correctly, you criticized many an artwork in the Art Submissions thread, saying things looked "too physical" or "too bulky" quite a bit. (I think you said Regi DS's design was too "Psychic-looking"...?) Well, it works both ways, ya know...
Of course, and I still thinking that. To explain that, please, read the Magmortified's post.

Why I post that in the Art Submission? 'Cause, the artist may change something of this stuff. Right now, Nobody can change anything.

I'm just going to say this honestly and to the point.

YDG's entry looks about 70% covered in a shiny metallic material -- therefore, I do find it awfully reminiscent of a steel type.

This isn't being biased or lying, I'm literally calling it as I see it. If the luster was cut down and the highlights diminished (so it looked more gravel) , I would say it was very rock type.

If it wasn't for that small detail I would have voted for him, as I find it a fantastic entry.

Why I post that in the Art Submission? 'Cause, the artist may change something of this stuff. Right now, Nobody can change anything.

Well, first of all, it should be irrelevant whether a person is able or unable to change a design -- the inability to change something doesn't make it inherently immune to aesthetic criticisms. If you felt one way before, it shouldn't change depending on something so arbitrary as whether they can or not.

Second (and I'm sorry, I didn't mean to talk this much about it), you brought up the "relativity" argument whenever your design was criticized by being called "slow-looking" before the art polls even began. That's what I meant when I said "it works both ways", and not just whenever it's most convenient for a person.

It looks like Caladbolg's got this one wrapped up, though I can still hope for a last minute surge.

I'd like Caladbolg's more if the typing was Rock/Psychic, not simply Rock, but ah well.

Go Cyzir!

yourDeadGrandad's picture appealed to me the most, so I voted for it. It just holds that unique feeling of a "special-based" Rock Pokemon. Also, the artwork itself looked awesome.

You have a problem with yDG looking like (maybe) a steel type, and you're voting for Cyzir?
To be perfectly honest with everyone, at the moment not a single entry look like a pure Rock type. Everyone has some hidden secondary type. Here are my opinions on each of the entries so far, note these are my honest opinions and in no way trying to insulting nor trolling anyone. :c

Caladbolg's (FFX fan or actually know the legend?) drawing looks like it could be a Rock/Psychic type. I mean it has that mystic vibe flowing through it and I mean literally, flowing through it. Someone compared it to a Hypno and I believe he/she may be right. Someone stated that speed doesn't always means you're a fast runner and that it could mean you have fast reaction type. Well Cally's creation looks like it could have really fast reaction skills and probably psychic powers to boot.

CyzirVisheen's drawing could be considered either Rock/Grass because most chess piece are made of wood, or Rock/Steel because of it's polished surface and sturdiness(?). In chess the Queen is the most powerful piece so it make sense for it to be a powerful sweeper. I personally love his design and I do see some Steeliness in it, but then again one could say that it's polished bone/ivory that got fossilized. Now since Bones = Rock type in the pokemon world, he could use that excuse to explain why it look like that.

YDG's drawing looks like a Rock/Steel type because of it's luster, those sharp scythes for hands/feet, and probably because it using magnetism to keep itself together and in Poke-logic magnets = Steel type. People believe it's fast because the lack of a true body nor limbs for that matter. Who needs to run when you throw your scythe body parts at opponents while having you important head and body far away.

CyzirVisheen got my vote even if his looks a little too much like a steel type I thought it was the best design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)