The Everything NHL Thread

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Calgary was one of the teams who had some major acquisitions this year (with Cammalleri and Bertuzzi)
Why is Bertuzzi such a major acquisition? He's been a shell of his former self since the Moore incident, he's only been shuttled to 4 teams since then.

Why is Bertuzzi such a major acquisition? He's been a shell of his former self since the Moore incident, he's only been shuttled to 4 teams since then.
I just believe that Calgary is a place where he can regain that offensive touch he once had in Vancouver, but that's just my opinion. Also Bertuzzi played minimal time on the teams he's been traded to (except Anahiem), so it's hard to judge him based on that.

you're arguing with a canucks fan don't bother lol
As long as he doesn't bad mouth the Thrashers, we're cool. ;)

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Bertuzzi is done, he didnt do well in any of the teams he's been in since leaving Vancouver.

Plus...... he is going to get hurt again before long.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I agree with Bertuzzie being a shell of his former self since the Moore incident. A shame too. Watching that line play was amazing. RIP West Coast Express :(

While I don't think anyone is going to argue he's as good as he was, he was better for the parts of last year he wasn't injured... it's hard to blame him too much for what he did in Detroit since he was pretty beat up for the short time he was here, but 40 points in 68 games in Anaheim isn't terrible considering he only got consistent ice time for about half the season, although obviously that's not up to the standards he set in Vancouver. I still think if he stays healthy he'll get at least 50 or 60 this year, with the upside for a lot more.

I think the result that surprised me the most last night was definitely that Vancouver/Calgary game, not so much the result(although I wouldn't be surprised to see the Flames win the rematch on Saturday) as the margin... very, very uninspired way to start the season for the Flames. The Red Wings loss didn't surprise me nearly as much and I don't think anyone who saw the game is too worried about them - they pretty much handed Toronto the first and third goal with unforced giveaways and committed enough vital turnovers that they could easily have handed them more. Obviously it wasn't the type of play I was hoping to see but they lost because they played an incredibly sloppy game and frankly didn't seem to be working too hard out there... those two things, or rather, not doing those two things are most of why this team has been so successful and I think losing to Torontolol is a pretty ideal wake-up call for them.

On another note, I really wish I could see the Atlanta vs. Washington game. There are also some pretty tight matchups (i.e. Chicago vs. NYR, Columbus vs. Dallas).

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
i have to go soon but posting to inform everyone of two important tidbits

nhl gamecenter is finally free, from today to the 15th SO YOU CAN WATCH WASHINTON FOR 3 GAMES NOW

and maxim afinogenov started with kotalik and mair not vanek and roy I was wrong DM =( looks like they were just showing him off for tradebait

picked up ray whitney and dropped maxim with that news

EDIT: also feel bad for theodore two goals he couldn't do anything against...CAPS need to tighten up this is reminding me of early last year :(

i have to go soon but posting to inform everyone of two important tidbits

nhl gamecenter is finally free, from today to the 15th SO YOU CAN WATCH WASHINTON FOR 3 GAMES NOW

and maxim afinogenov started with kotalik and mair not vanek and roy I was wrong DM =( looks like they were just showing him off for tradebait

picked up ray whitney and dropped maxim with that news

EDIT: also feel bad for theodore two goals he couldn't do anything against...CAPS need to tighten up this is reminding me of early last year :(
That last goal was pretty fucking bad though ;/ fucking theodore is it too late to get kolzig back ?_? Not that I'm defending the rest of the team's defense so far...

also i debated on pointing that line assignment out when you mentioned it last night but i figured youd find out anyway!

edit: lol green jesus christ his be-a-pro positioning score would be like an F but man he was awesome on that double minor power play, two goals lol

Chill Murray

get well soon jacoby..
So the Islanders suck again. The only goal they scored tonight went off a Devil skate. My boy Park had a few good chances go off posts, though.

Okposo tried to beat Brodeur high glove side on a penalty shot, and Brodeur just went "lolno". Fucking rookie.

Man I should probably pick a team that doesn't suck complete ass if I'm going to be this upset over losing.

Articuno64

1 to 63 were taken
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
But with a score of 6-0? Calgary was one of the teams who had some major acquisitions this year (with Cammalleri and Bertuzzi), whereas Vancouver was getting shit on about how they don't have reliable secondary scoring. I also though Kippy would play decently, but 6 goals on 23 shots just doesn't cut it.
The people shitting on Vancouver's secondary scoring don't know what they're talking about, evidently. The Canucks have 3 lines that can score in different ways with the Sedins/Bernier line that can control the puck on the cycle, the Demitra/Raymond/Pyatt line that can burn teams with their speed, and the Kesler/Burrows/Hansen line that can check other team's top lines tenaciously while getting lots of chances on the counter-attack.

you're arguing with a canucks fan don't bother lol
!

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Burrows is the next Todd Bertuzzi ._._._.

Also, what do you guys think of some of those new rules??

1) A PP automaticly now starts with a face-off next to the penalised team's goalie.

2) There cannot be commercial breaks after an icing call anymore. No line-change for the team called for icing and now no break.

Little things, but in my opinion changes that make sense.

(got 10 assists in fantasy today!)

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
1) A PP automaticly now starts with a face-off next to the penalised team's goalie.

It wasn't already like this? I thought that was the rule.

2) There cannot be commercial breaks after an icing call anymore. No line-change for the team called for icing and now no break.

I remember seeing this happen and thinking, "Um, then what's the fucking point?" Glad to hear it's changed.

Both good changes, stuff that "makes sense" that I'm kind of surprised it took this long to change...

The second one in general is funny since it defeated the purpose of the no-change before, and the first one I don't really understand why they didn't make a rule right out of the lockout since obviously it "promotes scoring"...

For what it's worth there was at least one other change that has something to do with the puck not leaving the attacking zone on the PP if it hits a post and goes out of play but I'm not positive that's all there is to the rule.

It wasn't already like this? I thought that was the rule.
It just stopped in whatever zone it was touched up in before(so most teams just took it across center ice and dumped it), mainly penalizes teams more for penalties taken in the offensive zone or when in possession of the puck.

OrbitingDeath

formerly SkylarGreen
Watching the Canadiens game now, really cool game to see.

And bought a 360 so I can play the be a pro mode aswell, didnt want to wait any longer for the ps2 version. Still have to get used to it, but getting a bit better. Went pointless till the 4th game where I got my first assist and goal (empty netter lol ) after 7 games I'm currently at 5 goals and 3 assists. Not as bad as I expected after the first 3 games. Playing at the Left Wing as a Sniper, but with the hits im throwing around, I feel like a powerforward

So far it was worth every euro :)

It just stopped in whatever zone it was touched up in before(so most teams just took it across center ice and dumped it), mainly penalizes teams more for penalties taken in the offensive zone or when in possession of the puck.
Not completely. Depending on where it was touched it makes a difference. For example, if it was touched up in the offensive zone(for the team that is getting called) the faceoff will be outside of the offensive zone.

Not completely. Depending on where it was touched it makes a difference. For example, if it was touched up in the offensive zone(for the team that is getting called) the faceoff will be outside of the offensive zone.
except this should all be in past tense because thats not the rule now

also

Stall said:
Well, Gerber blew the game...again. Auld Auld Auld Auld?
I didn't think he was that bad really, the last one was kinda weak but it was deflected and it's not like he didn't stop quite a few shots that had a decent shot of going in... I'd be more a little more worried about the 41 shots than the 3 goals I think! Although honestly with the officiating in that game I'm not sure how much you can draw from it either way...

Articuno64

1 to 63 were taken
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Looks like Vancouver beat Calgary again! Much more interesting game this time, Vancouver fought back twice and Demitra from Burrows for the OT winner. 5-4

We've been scoring lots of goals in the pre-season and it's continued into the regular season so far. It's a whole new team...

Likely the same reason Price (Montreal) didn't play. If you open the season with 2 games in 2 nights, most coaches will opt to give each of their goalies a start.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)