The Everything NHL Thread

Just went to the flames home opener. Wow, what a shock, the flames are off to a slow start.

The officiating was...unfair to say the least. Say what you will, that I'm biased, but a blatent trip is a blatent trip even if you happen to be vancouver. I'm so sick and tired of Mary-Kate and Ashley Sedin dismantelling everyone in the fucking NW division. The only purpose the canucks seem to serve is leeching all the interdivisional poinst away from teams that will actually make the playoffs.

As a side note, there was some AWESOME heckling at the game. Vancouver fans are now officially the worst fans in the NHL though, they started all kinds of actual fights all over the dome. Not even Edmonton and Toronto is this bad :(

Articuno64

1 to 63 were taken
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Just went to the flames home opener. Wow, what a shock, the flames are off to a slow start.

The officiating was...unfair to say the least. Say what you will, that I'm biased, but a blatent trip is a blatent trip even if you happen to be vancouver. I'm so sick and tired of Mary-Kate and Ashley Sedin dismantelling everyone in the fucking NW division. The only purpose the canucks seem to serve is leeching all the interdivisional poinst away from teams that will actually make the playoffs.

As a side note, there was some AWESOME heckling at the game. Vancouver fans are now officially the worst fans in the NHL though, they started all kinds of actual fights all over the dome. Not even Edmonton and Toronto is this bad :(
the burrows trip should've been called, but so should the bertuzzi elbow to sedin's head and conroy's interference on luongo behind the net (where luongo was actually called for a dive instead, if you can believe it)

anyone who knows anything about anything knows that the canucks missed the playoffs last year because their top 6 defensemen lost like 200 man-games to injury. we all saw how well detroit played when their defensemen were injured in the regular season last year.

the sedins are strong mother fuckers, by the way. they play a tough game along the boards more effectively than anyone.

Iginla did that fight rocky style. He took a beating then dropped the guy in one punch to the jaw.

I agree about the Sedins being tough fuckers, it doesn't mean I can't still dispise them for playing for Vancouver though. Vancouver doesn't have a terribly competative team this year, just looking at the roster. Who knows though, they could have some gems just waiting to show their skills that I really wouldn't know about.

Luongo should have been called for interference, not a dive, because that's precisely what he did. The refs were just total goofballs in that game. It is interesting to note that the flames got that soft penalty to Bertuzzi in the last two minutes of the 3rd as well as the missed tripping call in overtime (the play of course lead to the game winning goal). Don't you just love when the calls aren't made right just at the perfect time to fuck your team over? Heh, I guess it happens to every team now and then.

I suppose I'm really just miffed about the vancouver fans at the 'dome last night. Honestly, they won, do they really need to go about picking fist fights and beaking off horrendously to everyone? I don't see how that's even necessary. It's so unsportsmanlike.

Articuno64

1 to 63 were taken
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
yeah, i'm sure the fans were retarded. you get that everywhere though.

guys to watch on the canucks this year who you may not know: bernier, raymond, hansen, edler, kesler and burrows (though you should know the last two from last year!)

Thanks Arti. Yeah, I'm pretty sure the NW division will be the most competative again this year. Looking forward to it!

Also: hilarious that Naslund is kicking ass in his new home? Methinks a change of scenery did him well.

Great Game today against Colorado.
Frickin Budaj must be pissed, that was a really close match, and the 80s jerseys were a nice touch. Looking forward to a playoff spot this year!!

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I actually don't think Budaj played that badly this time.

Let's see how that goalie situation plays out.

I'm really liking how the Phoenix Coyotes are looking right now, btw.

Granted, we only have 2 games to look at, but in those 2 games they have looked very solid. Picking up Olli Jokinen was a great idea, as he really makes both their power play and their top line that much more potent.

I'm guessing a healthy Jovanovski and the development of Mueller / Turris along with continued expected contributions from Jokinen and Doan determine this year for the Coyotes.

They're now my sneak pick for 8th playoff spot in the conference!

I'm guessing a healthy Jovanovski and the development of Mueller / Turris along with continued expected contributions from Jokinen and Doan determine this year for the Coyotes.
The Coyotes are really good for having a few rookies/2nd year players. Turris and Porter are both going to put up solid numbers this year I think, and Gretzky really knows what he is doing with putting his team together. Porter is definitely going to be a pretty good assist man I think and from playing with and against him I can tell you he is hard as fuck to play against because he has a wicked shot as well. On a side note, I wish Gretzky would have sent Carcillo out against Anaheim though because fuck Anaheim...

Wow Yahoo screwed me over. Week 1 ended in my H2H league, and I scored: 4-6-0. However it should've been: 4-4-2. =[ Good thing Pronger got those hefty PIMs I so sorely needed. =P

Anyways, from what I saw of the Colorado game, 2 of the goals Budaj faced were redirected, so there wasn't much he could do. On the flipside, I think Edmonton will make the playoffs this year, that is if they manage to stay healthy.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Regarding the competitive division note, it depends on what you mean by competitive.

The Northeast division by far has the best teams competing against each other for the top spot (New Jersey, New York, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia), but the Northwest division could feasibly see ALL of its teams vying for the top spot.

Regarding the competitive division note, it depends on what you mean by competitive.

The Northeast division by far has the best teams competing against each other for the top spot (New Jersey, New York, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia), but the Northwest division could feasibly see ALL of its teams vying for the top spot.
That's Atlantic. I was talking Ottawa/Montreal/Toronto/Buffalo/Boston.

i yelled at my laptop during the anaheim/phoenix brawl but gretzky still didn't put carcillo out after >:( more like BITCH number 99

Also as far as the toughest division thing, the Northwest is probably the most open division as far as anyone having a realistic shot(although I'd disagree that Colorado actually has a chance), but it's definitely not the strongest division under the perspective of it being the division with the best teams - the Atlantic(which is the one that actually has NJ/NYR/PIT/PHI) and the Pacific(DAL/SJ/ANA/PHO) are easily the two strongest divisions right now I think, even with NYI and LA holding them both back... one division has only had four teams make the playoffs once(last year) since they changed the divisions, but I think both of those divisions have a decent shot this year - all eight of those teams are great.

And the remaining two are terrible which will help things along.

I'm not sure what I think about the goaltending issues most teams are having right now, a lot of teams that had bad goaltending week 1(Chicago, Colorado, Calgary, the entire Southeast division) haven't exactly been playing awesome team defense - there aren't too many goalies that are going to look good giving up the chances those teams have been giving up.

EDIT: oh look fucking hollweg just boarded someone. again. looking like pietrangelo is done for a while fucking hollweg should really just get suspended for the year

or traded to the flyers

Aldaron

geriatric
O whoops, yea I definitely mean Atlantic over Northeast lol. I see Montreal and Ottawa being competitive there with potentially Boston giving some competition, but Buffalo and Toronto this year are "lol"

Definitely the (Atlantic :P) division and Northwest division as the most competitive, though the Pacific could be just like the Atlantic and net 4 play off teams as well.

I say the Northwest division is most competitive in terms of all 5 teams feasibly fighting for the division lead (and probably 1 of 2 if not the only playoff spot from that division), but the Atlantic and Pacific are the most competitive in terms of most potential playoff teams.

EDIT: UGH, damn fast synre...

one division has only had four teams make the playoffs once(last year) since they changed the divisions, but I think both of those divisions have a decent shot this year - all eight of those teams are great.
Pretty sure there was a Montreal/Ottawa/Buffallo/Boston play-offs once. I know 2 years ago Ottawa/Boston/Buffallo made the play-offs with Toronto 0 points back and Montreal 1 point back.c

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)