Slowking (Curse) +

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Slowking , http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/slowking

Complete.

[SET]
name: Curse
move 1: Curse
move 2: Aqua Tail
move 3: Return / Zen Headbutt / Avalanche
move 4: Slack Off
item: Leftovers
ability: Own Tempo
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 128 Atk / 128 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This is an attempt by Slowking to go physical by employing a Snorlax-like strategy. While Slowking doesn't have a phenomenal Attack stat, it is just enough to effectively make use of Curse. Aqua Tail is for physical STAB and will be Slowking's primary method of attack. Return is used to complete the Water/Normal combination, which gives impeccable coverage. However, Zen Headbutt can be used over Return if STAB is of greater importance than coverage. Avalanche is also a great option for the ability to hit Celebi and the dragons much harder. Slack Off is used with Curse for a reliable recovery move to attempt to get as many Curses as possible and prevents it from being an inferior Snorlax. Unfortunately, Slowking is vulnerable to status such as Will-O-Wisp and Toxic, and so Rest can be used as well, but this isn't the best option since Slowking already has a reliable recovery move.</p>

<p>The EVs primarily concentrate on Slowking's impressive Special Defensive abilities. While the EVs can be easily adjusted to highlight more Special Defense the given spread is suitable for most situations. A few examples of what Slowking can survive with the given EVs are that Slowking will never be 2HKO'd by a Modest Porygon-Z's Thunderbolt and only be 2HKO'd by a Bold Zapdos' Thunderbolt 20% of the time. Furthermore, Slowking will almost never be 3HKO'd by a Bold Celebi's Grass Knot and will never be OHKO'd by a Timid Roserade's Leaf Storm. This allows Slowking to set up on many of its common switch-ins.</p>

I really think Trick Room would help this set:

Slowking:@ Mystic Water
Nature: (+Atk, - Spe)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Attack / 4 Defense
-Trick Room
-Curse
-Slack Off
-Aqua Tail

It wont have to worry about always taking hits before it can recover, and it can Attack first which is helpful, plus if threatened, it can provide Trick Room support to other teammates.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You say Slowbro in the description when you mean Slowking.

Anyway, is a topic for this really necessary? Slowking got Curse, Return, Zen Headbutt all in DP.

The only addition here is Aqua Tail.

You'll also note that Slowking is a high hp high special defense pokemon utilizing Curse...is there an optimal defensively inclined EV spread?

If you're going to bother with an updated platinum topic for one move, I'd prefer a little more in depth analysis =/

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Slowking never had Waterfall Aldaron, Aqua Tail is its only physical Water STAB. Having a decent STAB option actually lets Slowking do something.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Slack Off is pretty mandatory or Snorlax does this set better with almost double the HP and way more Special Defense and Attack. Emphasize it.

Also, I'd buff SDef, but that's just me.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Anyways, I think if Zen Headbutt gets an option then Avalanche might have a merit here. Although it's not good against Water-types it works effectively against Celebi if you don't want the hassle to switch out.

I'd still keep Zen Headbutt and Aqua Tail as a combo. Only real Pokemon in OU that wall it is Slowbro/king, Exeggutor, and Celebi. At least that I can recall from the top of my head. But in all seriousness this set needs Slack Off to keep going with Curse.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
I don't think surviving Shaymin-S's Seed Flare is a good baseline for Slowking's Special Defense, considering that when it's at full health, it's likely to have not boosted enough to harm Shaymin-S significantly anyways, and if it has a few Curses, more likely than not it also has at least some minor chinks. Furthermore, Shaymin-S could just use Air Slash first anyways, which, if it flinches, would nullify the entire point of the EVs.

There's a couple more moves that this thing learns that might be of merit that are not mentioned: Emopleon resists Water, Psychic, and Normal, but is weak to Earthquake. Avalanche and Ice Punch can badly mess up a Salamence that might try to come in and Intimidate you, thinking to either negate an attack boost from Curse or tak a resisted Aqua Tail. Then there's Fire Blast for a possible 2hko on skarmory and bronzong, and overkill damage on the immediately threatening Scizor. Overall having both stab or water+normal might be worth more, but it's at least other options worthy.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
I don't think surviving Shaymin-S's Seed Flare is a good baseline for Slowking's Special Defense, considering that when it's at full health, it's likely to have not boosted enough to harm Shaymin-S significantly anyways, and if it has a few Curses, more likely than not it also has at least some minor chinks. Furthermore, Shaymin-S could just use Air Slash first anyways, which, if it flinches, would nullify the entire point of the EVs.
Yeah, I was still playing around with the EV spread so I just put that up because it was a quick calc I remembered doing but then I found my old calcs so now I could justify this spread.

Anyway, was a WIP but I completed it.

@Yuki, Empoleon is set up fodder and while Fire Blast is an okay option, its nearly impossible to give a move slot up for it.

Slowking , http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/slowking

Complete.

[SET]
name: Curse
move 1: Curse
move 2: Aqua Tail
move 3: Return / Zen Headbutt / Avalanche
move 4: Slack Off
item: Leftovers
ability: Own Tempo
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 128 Atk / 128 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This is an attempt by Slowking to go physical by employing a Snorlax-like strategy. While Slowking doesn't have a phenomenal Attack stat, it is just enough to effectively make use of Curse. Aqua Tail is for physical STAB and will be Slowking's primary method of attack. Return is used to complete the Water/Normal combination, which gives impeccable coverage. However, Zen Headbutt can be used over Return if STAB is of greater importance than coverage. Avalanche is also a great option for the ability to hit Celebi and the dragons much harder. Slack Off is used with Curse for a reliable recovery move to attempt to get as many Curses as possible and prevents it from being an inferior Snorlax. Unfortunately, Slowking is vulnerable to status such as Will-O-Wisp and Toxic, and so Rest can be used as well, but this isn't the best option since Slowking already has a reliable recovery move.</p>

<p>The EVs primarily concentrate on Slowking's impressive Special Defensive abilities. While the EVs can be easily adjusted to highlight more Special Defense the given spread is suitable for most situations. A few examples of what Slowking can survive with the given EVs are that Slowking will never be 2HKO'd by a Modest Porygon-Z's Thunderbolt and only be 2HKO'd by a Bold Zapdos' Thunderbolt 20% of the time. Furthermore, Slowking will almost never be 3HKO'd by a Bold Celebi's Grass Knot and will never be OHKO'd by a Timid Roserade's Leaf Storm. This allows Slowking to set up on many of its common switch-ins.</p>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)