The Everything NHL Thread

Realistically, there is absolutely no way you don't lose a beat when losing all of those players and replacing them with younger prospects...

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Maybe it was the fact that your best players started playing for phillie (Briere) and new york (drury) at the start of last season? Just a thought but getting to playoffs usually means you keep your best players year to year.

Ahhhhh I shouldn't rip on the sabres, I love their logo.
What, the slug? Fucking terrible, I'd take the goat over the slug any day. (But give me the original blue and gold :/ )

Yeah, we blew it with Briere and Drury and almost with Vanek, that's why they changed their ways and signed guys now.

Speaking of Vanek I'm kind of surprised by how good he's been late last year and so far this year, I knew he was better than he looked most of last year but I'd been expecting him to drop-off when he became the main threat other teams would want to check - he's been awesome so far.

I'm not sure if I buy them continuing on how they have but I'd sure like them to. With the Sabres on top of the Northeast I'm enjoying the division leaders a lot at the moment, outside of the fucking Rangers we have the Sabres <3, the Canes tied with the Caps <3, the Red Wings <3, the Wild >:O, and the Sharks. I just need my Devils to jump a few games and really either the Oilers or Flames to pass the Wild and I'll have my favorite team winning in every division.

I suspect this will not last but if the playoffs started today the Flyers and Ducks are out of the playoffs and the Sabres, Devils, Caps, Sharks, Wings, Flames, Hawks, and Oilers are all in! Admittedly with most of those teams there's not too much threat of them missing the playoffs but I'm enjoying the early season quite a lot, haha.

I'm surprised at how well Toronto is playing. The team seems to finally be responding and playing Ron Wilson hockey. Guess we won't get Tavares =/
Not that surprising Wilson is a great coach and Toronto has a good goaltender, good defense and good team speed. That might almost guarantee that they finish out of the bottom 5 even though they will have trouble scoring this year.

The Leafs are another team I'm having a hard time making heads or tails of... I almost wonder if it would have been better for the franchise to wait a year to hire Wilson since he's going to get them to finish higher than their personnel would normally achieve which is bad for the future since they're not going to become a real contender without help, but they've been solid so far... some of their results are misleading (Detroit was incredibly flat in the opener and the Leafs got a W, the Leafs dominated the Blues but got scored on twice during a bonehead boarding major and got an OTL), but considering they've played the Habs, Rangers, and all four of the last Stanley Cup finalists already they have a pretty impressive record for what their expectations were.

Speaking of jerseys...I dont know if anyone has seen them but they blackhawks/wings are wearing retros for the classic.

Except me, why was I not informed?
because you clearly aren't old enough.

Speaking of retro, holy hell do I miss the likes of Pat Verbeek, Zarley Zalapsky (best name ever!!) and of course all the rest on the best team to grace the planet:

However the best logo of all time has to be the milwaukee admirals from the AHL.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
because you clearly aren't old enough.

Speaking of retro, holy hell do I miss the likes of Pat Verbeek, Zarley Zalapsky (best name ever!!) and of course all the rest on the best team to grace the planet:

However the best logo of all time has to be the milwaukee admirals from the AHL.
oh man this bring back memories

I was in an NHL 95 league with friends at the time and some tart picked the Nordiques before me so I ended up with the Whalers and it became one of my favorite teams for a while.

Sean Burke, Glen Wesley, John Cullen. Even Geoff Sanderson back when he could score 40 goals a season.

I did pretty good with them too, reaching the conference final

plus thats a great hockey logo

I was wondering if you'd comment. Don't forget about the NORDS!!!

Sean Burke was allegedly a wife beater by the way

I'm partial to the Manitoba Moose logo since we're using it for Team Smogon on NHL 09, personally! Moose are intimidating man those buggers are HUGE

HUGE

like Steelicks HUGE

i approve of the whalers logo though since it is in my yahoo logo atm! The Nords have pretty uniforms though, I'd be tempted to talk the team into using them instead except every french team ever uses it so it'd be awkward...

In other news, the Blackhawks D is very subpar.
These are the classic jerseys:

both pretty nasty in my opinion though I am more of a fan of the hawks jerseys that the big D

I hope Thomas can get the #1 job in Boston soon they have been alternating between him an Fernandez. He has been better than my #1 pick Luongo so far.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Sabres got fucked last night. They also got outplayed in the first and Auld stood on his fucking head most of the night, but we couldn't get any momentum due to all the bullshit penalties. Someone explain to me how Afinogenov can get attacked after the play is over and be on the bottom of a scrum getting punched repeatedly... and get the ONLY FUCKING PENALTY???

I think I'm glad I didn't get to watch that game after all =/ Kept seeing the scoreboard and getting progressively more annoyed, obviously they were going to lose some time but it sucks for it to be against the Sens. Losing did wonders for Detroit, though, maybe the Sabres will enjoy it too.

Speaking of said Red Wings, I'm not really sure I like this 'miraculously come back in the third period to win' script they keep repeating since for some reason they really like falling behind. Still, every third period lately they've conveniently remembered they're nearly an all-star team at this point and finished the game off so I guess it's just as well. I said for most of the playoffs last year that I thought Hossa was my pick for Conn Smythe and he's showing why so far this year, he is just amazing. It's interesting to see him on a line with Datsyuk since they are both so shifty but differently... Datsyuk is more deking and he does the shifty shit to make good passes where Hossa is bigger on toe drags and trying to beat people one on one(or one on three, like last night) to get good shots, with Datsyuk being a little better on defense. I enjoy comparing them since they are both so tricksy in their own special ways.

And then there is Tomas "Third Wheel" Holmstrom, who I love dearly but at this point am a little confused as to why he is located on Line 1 at even strength.

Sabres got fucked last night. They also got outplayed in the first and Auld stood on his fucking head most of the night, but we couldn't get any momentum due to all the bullshit penalties. Someone explain to me how Afinogenov can get attacked after the play is over and be on the bottom of a scrum getting punched repeatedly... and get the ONLY FUCKING PENALTY???
I didn't get to see the game, since it wasn't televised in non-Ottawa Canada. Was it really that bad?
it sucks for it to be against the Sens.
Should I take that to mean you think the Sens are a bad team? Or just division games being important?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)