EVO 1 - Part 1 (Pokemon Submission)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no problem with Sableye getting Skill Swap. But does Skill Swap fail when used on Wonder Guard on Shoddy? I'm pretty sure it does in-game, but imagine if it didn't :\
Anyway, I vote Farfetch'd. I don't want to evolve a Pokémon by just increasing its stats; Farfetch'd could change type upon evolving, making the CAP process much more interesting.

And "evolve various 'okémon"? :S

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I know this is predictable as hell, but, yeah, I'm going to throw my support for Dewgong.

It is basically the worst fully-evolved Water/Ice Pokemon in the game, even with the addition of Hydration. Hydration itself sets it apart from the other Water/Ice Pokemon, though, and an evolution that would be able to fully utilise its potential, with the added weaknesses that all Ice types suffer from, would be dandy.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh man as much as I think Farfetch'd would be a bit dumb to evolve I really want to see the art made for it...

Anyway, I'm going to throw out support for one of my favorite pokemon, Mantine. I would like to see a good special wall that isn't a normal type, and Mantine fits the bill perfectly.

Tossing my support to Farfetch'd.

If he's picked, however, I agree with what's been said about Farfy getting a new typing upon evolution. Fighting/Flying is a cool typing, but makes me wonder if we'd just be making Staraptor++ (which I suppose some people might not have a problem with, but still.)

Also, Farfetch'd brings a unique item to the table in Stick, which I'm certain will make for all sorts of fun 'flavor versus balance' arguements. :P

Hum... Since Farfetch'd has already a lot of support, I'd like to nominate Gastrodon. Gastrodon is not bad, that's for sure. However, it is, sadly, just not good enough to be in OU, with all the offense that's going on. A substantial amount of extra base HP, some more defenses, and a small, testimonial, addition to the offensive stats will certainly make it a great alternative to Swampert, having the advantage of recover and counter/mirror coat but lacking Swampert's offensive power.

Gastrodon, Mantine and Dewgong are all pokes that i personally love, but I think we need to focus on something that will be truly NU for now. Gastrodon is clearly the second best Water/Ground, Mantine just needs a slight shift in stats and movepool to be a special Skarm, and I think we as a community need more experience before we tackle something so potentially game breaking. And Dewgong, I love ye, but Farfetch'd has more need. Dewgong has helped me immensely in every UU battle, and every time I've used ye ingame. Recommendation though, if we do use Dewgong, go physical with his attacking method. STAB Aqua Jet and Ice Shard could be game breaking if given the proper boost...

But still, for now, I support Farfetch'd, and the others later. Farfetch'd is the perfect 'mon for us to experiment the EVO project with.

I'm going to nominate Delcatty as a candidate for this project. Its unique ability and ridiculously large support movepool mean that an evolution with improved stats could give us an OU-worthy Clefable, even, with the option of Ground-hitting Thunder Waves or attacking power.

Farfetch'd has needed an evolution for 4 gens, and it's "logical" next step has alot of potential if we endow it with fighting/flying, a dual type previously unexplored. flying with no sr weak is awesome, and so is 4x bug/2x fighting resists (hera counter without 4x weaks, altohugh losing twave immune). it can also act as a great check to ttar, not dying to random ice beams (given decent def stats) and resisting dark attacks.

fight/fly is a great offensive stab combo too, only being stopped by zapdos and rotom forms. I think it would definitely muck up the metagame given the chance..
This has also made me vote for Farfy.

Posting again because another nomination popped into my head: Luvdisc; do I honestly need to explain it? Only decent stat is speed (97), with Swift Swim, Agility...you get the point. It could at last get better offensive or defensive stats or something.

EDIT: http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/luvdisc so yeah...just further proves my point

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I would like to throw my support for Banette.

D/P was not kind to Banette, removing its best STAB attack and giving an evolution to Dusclops (which, BTW, didn't really need it as much as Banette) and Misdreavus. But that is not why I want Banette to get an evolution.

Banette has a very good disruptive movepool, including moves like Thunder Wave, WoW, Knock Off, Trick, not to mention support moves like Trick Room. Both its abilities are fairly unique to the OU enviroment and extremely useful to give extra switch-in opportunities (Insomnia) or to make Trick an even more effective move and scout the opponent's poke (Frisk). Unlike Dusknoir, Banette has the potential to fight off its main enemies, the pursuit users, with a terrific 115 Base Atk and 4 more speed points than Tyranitar. The only things lacking are a good fighting move and the bulk necessary to survive one SE attack or two, two things that we can easily give Banette on this EVO round.

So vote Banette. It has a terrific support/annoyer movepool, the stats to fight his common counters, and it fills up the role of an annoyer/physical sweeper that is not even close to present on his fellow ghost pokes.

While we're re-examining the pile of overlooked pokemon, I want to throw out the idea of Sableye. In DP, as far as niche is concerned Spiritomb completely took any place that Sableye had before. Poor Sableye is left in the wake of Spiritomb even though it has just as viable a movepool, but without good enough stats to utilize any of it.

Let's see if I can make this sound convincing enough to get more support for the grinning imp
You already convinced me to support Sableye for EVO project #1. Sableye has always been one of my favorite R/S/E Pokemon and despite it's decent movepool and typing, it's lackluster stat bring it down big time. An evolution geared towards the physical side would not only fit a niche job within the metagame but will also differentiate itself from Spiritomb's shadow. Yes...I'm aware Revenankh is physically geared too, but he's bulky sweeper where as a Sableye evo would probably be a physical sweeper/disruptor (aka Trick, double status, etc)

An evolution of a hardly-ever-seen pokemon does sound like a good idea, and in that aspect Farfetch'd comes out on top, but I'd like to see an evolution of a UU pokemon that does well in the UU environment ... a pokemon like Primeape. It has the stats of a good physical sweeper and it has a decent movepool as well, allowing it to sweep via one of several strategies (my strategy isn't in the official Smogon list). Theoretically, it could be used in OU, so any evolution of this would surely be strong in OU.

Im going with Houndoom.

Hes got a great typing and good attacking stat with nasty plot to make it better. The only thing that deosn't make this pokemon OU is its Speed and mediocore defences, so an evolution could be the boost Houndoom needs to his speed to make him viabile.

Also his evo could look like Cerberus (a three headed Hell Hound)

I'm going to have to agree with Xenon, in that an evolution of Camerupt would be great. This thing would be very tankish, but could also very easily sweep from both sides of the attacking spectrum.

I support Electrode for the coming evolution. It has always shown itself to be a true member of the team and, if given the power of evolution, will prove itself to be more than capable of keeping all promises.

Electrode is known to use itself as a sacrifice to benefit its teammates, blessing them with the gift of weather, using the opponents' attacks to its advantage, and charging in and Exploding for them. And always with a smile.

With the power of evolution, Electrode will be able to do even more for its team. While it rarely gets a mention outside of early setup, it always aids in victory, gladly letting its teammates get the glory if that's what it means.

Remember, when you vote for Electrode, you vote for your team.

I'd like to nominate Kecleon.

First off, he has a great ability that is exclusive to him. Some could argue that the ability is actually a curse due to ruining his normal STAB, and that it can be disadvantaged by smart opponents meaning that Kecleon has to play smart and avoid pokemon that can exploit him for super effective hits - though in my opinion, this just means that he wouldn't change the metagame TOO much by needing specific counters in every team so arguing about brokeness shouldn't happen. So, when you couple this ability with Kecleon's impressive SpD stat and (soon to be decent hp stat) it's possible that Kecleon could discourage many choice specs users from staying in, with his possible resists (depending on the opponent's move type) and soon to be great SpD & Hp combination.

Kecleon also has a handy supporting movepool including moves such as trick room, thunder wave, stealth rock, snatch, magic coat, knock off and also trick - many of which would work well in tandem with Kecleon's possible anti-choice specs role.

Then we also have Kecleon's adequate Atk stat that means we could give him a slow bulky sweeper role; similar to Metagross if we chose - yet still keep himself a little different by relying on moves to ignore his awful speed such as his sucker punch and focus punch strategy that's already listed on his page.

... Oh and don't forget how cool a big green lizard covered in weird patterns could look. ^_^

Farfetch'd has needed an evolution for 4 gens, and it's "logical" next step has alot of potential if we endow it with fighting/flying, a dual type previously unexplored. flying with no sr weak is awesome, and so is 4x bug/2x fighting resists (hera counter without 4x weaks, altohugh losing twave immune). it can also act as a great check to ttar, not dying to random ice beams (given decent def stats) and resisting dark attacks.

fight/fly is a great offensive stab combo too, only being stopped by zapdos and rotom forms. I think it would definitely muck up the metagame given the chance..
And jynx... but farf will already make ours dreams come true!
But wont stick roost be too strong?

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
i chose
stantler cuz it got the moveset but needs better stats
luvdisc so it can get out of the weakest unevolved pokemon
farfetch'd wouldnt it be cool a pokemon a bird holding a gigantic vegetable
Farfetch'd

Even the fucking analysis says it needs an evo
The OP says this:

"People may post in support of Pokemon, but must back up their support with solid reasoning."

The above two posts are not examples of "solid reasoning". In fact, posts like that are just shitting up the thread. If you aren't going to make a competitive argument for an evolution -- then please don't post at all.

By the way, saying that a pokemon "needs an evolution" is not a logical argument. I've seen several people refer to pokemon "needing" an evolution -- what the hell does that mean? What is the basis for "need"? If your argument for an evo is that the pokemon "needs" it -- here's how I interpret what you are really saying ....

"I luvs this cute little underused pokemon so much! It's nearly as wonderful as Mudkipz, lolz! This pokemon has been my favorite ever since I started playing the game. I wish so badly I could play with this kewl pokemon in OU. C'mon guys, I LOOOVE THIS POKEMON SO MUCH!! Please, please, please vote for it!"​

Give me a break... no pokemon "needs" an evolution. There ARE many pokemon that would require an evolution to become viable in the OU metagame. But that can be said for every single pokemon on the list in the OP, so it's nothing special to point out that a pokemon is weaker than OU standards. That's the point of the entire EVO project -- to make non-competitive pokemon into competitive pokemon. So yeah, by that standard, every pokemon on the list "needs" an evolution. Of course it needs an evolution, why do you think we put it on the list? Stop using "need" as if it was a logical argument for any particular evolution candidate. It's not.

Whatever we end up evolving, I'd prefer it was something that gets used almost not at all, like pachirisu or farfetch'd or luvdisc, than something that is already perfectly usable, like electrode or camerupt.

I know this is predictable as hell, but, yeah, I'm going to throw my support for Dewgong.

It is basically the worst fully-evolved Water/Ice Pokemon in the game, even with the addition of Hydration. Hydration itself sets it apart from the other Water/Ice Pokemon, though, and an evolution that would be able to fully utilise its potential, with the added weaknesses that all Ice types suffer from, would be dandy.
And here I thought I would be the only one throwing Dewgong in as a suggestion.

Dewgong is basically a UU Manaphy without sweeping potential. It's offensive stats are too weak to make good use of it's ice typing properly and we all know how much of a blessing it is defensively *cough*SR*cough*.

I'd hate to see my perfect but sucky ducky evolve flavorwise, but it could be another cool evolution and I think it should be considered to fit the UU tier if it is (and seems like it'll be likely...) chosen.
why? It's not like something going form craptastic to OU with e new evo is unherd of (see weavile/togekiss/mamoswine etc)

I actually have more of a concept than a decided pokémon to bring up, that doen't exist yet in OU. That is an "Weather ender" aka my example from the Rules Workshop:

As a example, by giving Ledian an ability or move that would end weather. Not like Cloude Nine or Air lock that just stops the effect of it as long as the pokemon is on the field. More like Ttar switched in, "a sandstorm brewed". Next, Ledian switched in (with this new ability), "sandstorm ended".
Pkmn possible IMO that could fit to get something like this:
Ledian
Claydoll
Chatot

or an OU Rain/Sun inducer (i.e. pkmn with Drizzle/Drought)

Possible Drougth pkmn: Cherrim, Tropius

Possible Drizzle pkmn: Corsola, Lumineon, Masquerain

Teams that cant take all these passive dammage that runs around on the battle fields would bennefit greatly to be able to cleanse the sky from Sandstorm or Hail. Especially Claydoll would benfit with an ablility like this because it also has Rapid Spin to be able to clear from SR/Spikes.

Weather has become such a big part of pokemon now days and because there is no OU pokemon with Drizzle/Drought, Sandstorm and Hail is the ones that are used the most. Sun teams are really rare now days but Rain teams has become more of an attraction now with all of these Heaterans and Kingdras, but still is quite uncommon.

Other than this I also support Jynx and Luvdisc evos.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Gorm makes an excellent argument regarding Farfetch'd, which I would fully endorse (I even have a name for it prepared :toast:).

Something else that I feel would make an excellent addition to the OU environment is... a Castform evolution. It would be a versatile special attacker with access to an excellent special movepool, and be particularly useful on (or against) weather teams. If it always takes 12.5% from stealth rock (i.e. because it transforms after switching into weather) then it offers hail/sunny day teams some respite from entry hazards. Additionally, it could promote weather changing outside specialized teams (because it will fit as a stand alone Pokemon), thereby reducing the dominance of sandstream. Finally, a Castform evolution would be unique and add something entirely new to the current environment.

Edit: nevermind, Castform isn't even on the list ._.

why? It's not like something going form craptastic to OU with e new evo is unherd of (see weavile/togekiss/mamoswine etc)
It's not that I don't think it can, I just think it'd be interesting to see a UU CAP project, and it has mediocre enough stats for an evolution to end up there, though I have to agree if it became part fighting it'd have nice typing for OU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)