EVOlution 1 - Part 2 - Pokémon Poll 3!

obama or mccain?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I voted for Farfetch'd, even though I agree with Doug about his concerns.

First of all, nobody has put the typing of the Farfetch'd evo in stone. When all has been said and done, its evolution can be Normal/Flying. In fact, that would make complete sense.

Secondly, there IS already a precedent where a Normal/Flying Pokemon changes type when evolving: Swablu's Normal/Flying type changes to Dragon/Flying when evolving to Altaria. So making Farfetch'd change types when evolving is not that farfetched (excuse the pun).

So, when all has been said and done, both a Normal/Flying Farfetch'd evo and a ____/Flying Farfetch'd evo (replace ____ by any type other than Normal or Flying) would make sense. I'm sure that we as a community are intelligent enough to create an evo that isn't horribly broken and that still has Farfetch'd's traits overall.

However, I wouldn't be disappointed if it loses, as I see a Houndoom evolution to be quite an exciting project as well! A Houndoom evolution would offer us with such a great opportunity to create something very viable to the OU metagame. So I wouldn't mind doing either evolutions, to be honest, but I kinda prefer Farfetch'd more only for the reason that it is requires much more help than Houndoom right now.

Guys why Houndoom?

t is BL now and he has a good ability and offesnive stats already? Why making it stronger with an evo, he doesn't need any.

Farfetch'd has been in pokemon from the first gen, and didnt get an evolution in the folllowing generations. He needs it the msot he has like crappy stats, not to good movepool it''s jsut the better choice and it's really *** that Houndoom is winning just because Heatran outclasses it. Blissey outclasses Clefable, now Clefable needs an evo?? No.

Guys why Houndoom?

t is BL now and he has a good ability and offesnive stats already? Why making it stronger with an evo, he doesn't need any.

Farfetch'd has been in pokemon from the first gen, and didnt get an evolution in the folllowing generations. He needs it the msot he has like crappy stats, not to good movepool it''s jsut the better choice and it's really *** that Houndoom is winning just because Heatran outclasses it. Blissey outclasses Clefable, now Clefable needs an evo?? No.
I could easily ask, why Farfetch'd?

Bear in mind that this isn't just about making a pokemon better. It's about adding something to the metagame. What could Farfetch'd possibly gain from an evo that would make it a worthy addition to the metagame? At least Houndoom could be, as I said earlier, a slightly slower, fire type, special counterpart to Weavile, a role that no other pokemon truly has at the moment.

Well for instant, Farfetch'd can abuse his item. And he can have new moves he won't learn now like i dunno lol ehh Brave Bird and Close Combat like that. I mean it's a weak pokemon why not just upgrade it so there's a new pokemon in the metagame. I'm not really trying to start discussions, and if i did im sorry, i just dont feel houndoom needing an evo.

Farfetch'd soley for the possibility of it becoming a samurai duck. Also, Houndoom is already evolved and is technically in the OU tier(just the bottom half). I also don't like what a Houndoom evo might look like, it would be too much like Rhydon > Rhyperior, not an improvement, just a mutation.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Voting Farfetch'd on this one.

Houndoom is already usable in OU...even if it isn't a main competitor, it has a unique niche as a pursuitor immune to WoW, and as the game's only Dark Type Nasty Plot user. His dual STAB's are certainly usable, and while he could certainly use an upgrade, after we evolve him, I really doubt his role would change much. What's 10 more SpAtk if you're still stopped by Blissey, Snorlax, TTar, and Heatran; and even adding speed would only allow him to tie with Salamence. Also, it isn't like we could justifiably change its type, and Fire and Dark types generally have their moves set in stone. So honestly I think Houndoom would be a lot more boring than some people are thinking.

Farfetch'd, on the other hand, has no purpose in any metagame right now, and its small stats give us free reign to take it in several diffrerent directions. I know there was discussion about doing something "easy" for the first EVO project, but honestly a Houndoom evolution would not produce and real change in the metagame without us really stretching the upgrades.

I like Houndoom, but I don't really see what much he has to gain from an evolution. He's already got a healthy movepool and S.Atk, so as far as sweeping goes, the only thing going against him is his speed.

So, really, a Houndoom EVO will probably end up giving him 110 Speed to tie with Gengar, or perhaps 115 to tie with Starmie, with maybe slightly more S.Atk, and some more HP. Toss in a new sprite, and we're done.

At the end of the day, I don't really see much changing. He'll basically still kill everything he could kill before and have all the same counters that he did before.

In spite of the ferver with the poll-jumping Fighting-Flying Staraptor clone, with Farfy, I feel there's more room to work with, more directions you can go to make something interesting, so I'm voting for Dux.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd also like to ask Doug, if we're not allowed to Evolve Farfetch'd, someone who doesn't have a role at all really, does that mean that we're NEVER allowed to evolve an NU pokemon?

NU Pokemon never have real "roles." With their limited stats and movepool (generally why they're NU), they rarely can carve out a roll. So we're going to have to define one for them. Of course when we choose an NU Pokemon for the EVO Project we're going to have to do a little more work, but that doesn't mean that they're off limits.

If you want the project to be like what you want it do be, Doug, you might as well rename it "Make a BL-> OU Project," because they have defined rolls and only need minor changes to be OU.

Unless that's what we're after... turning only BL Pokemon OU (which I don't think it is).

what is all this hate for fighting/flying? that's a good idea, natural for a possible farfetch'd evo
Grass/Flying, Water/Flying (He's a duck for fuck sake =/), Steel/Flying (actual sword(s) equal bitching awesome), and Normal/Flying sounds like natural evo typing for FarFetch'd as well.

Seriously, what would a FarFetch'd evo bring to the table that Staraptor, Togekiss, and any other part flying type can't do exactly? Note that we're not giving it Super Luck and/or the ability to use it's crit inducing Stick item anytime soon.......unless your idea on setting farfetch'd evo apart from other is it's ability to dish out critical hits like Halloween candy. If that's the case then gogo gadget crit abuser.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TAY, Darkrai gained Nasty Plot, so it isn't the only one, just the only one that's allowed in Standard.
Weavile can also Nasty Plot. However, both Weavile and Darkrai are completely irrelevant since we're only dealing with competitive OU.

who said farfetch'd has to be some physical sweeper, flying/fighting isn't a bad defensive typing and farfetch'd stats don't really lean in any direction; it could be made into something like gliscor with a fighting stab.

If Farfetch'd wins, we just need to think outside the box and NOT give it Fight/Flying typing. Maybe Normal/Fight...?
So we should give our possible Farfetch'd evo arguably worse STAB simply because we need to "think outside the box?"

Fight/Flying (Brave Bird/Close Combat) is a frightening STAB combo. Normal/Fight is resisted by ghosts. Why should we let the Rotom forms completely shit on this thing just to think outside the box?

In fact Normal/Fight is not thinking outside the box. Lets make it Water/Fire and give it wonder guard! That is really creative.

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Voting Doom. There are only 2 fire-types in OU. I think that that should, and can change.

EDIT: Yay Tiebreaker.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Voted farfetch'd.

Even though I don't like both of them, I figure farfetch'd would gain more from this, as houndoom doesn't really need to evolve. I don't want a special sweeper fire type, really.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Voted Houndoom

Farfy has way too much potential to be broken. You may laugh, I suppose, but do remember Farfy's Evo gets Farfy's movepool, which includes Swords Dance and Agility. So if the bandwagoners get their way and give this Close Combat and Brave Bird, you're already looking at a machine.

That being said, nothing would be particularly bad about making Farfy Evo a Baton Passer (finally).

However, I voted Houndoom because it has a unique typing without having to manufacture a new one. Fetch'd could end up being Normal/Flying Fully Evolved #7. Houndoom has NP and two great STABs, but lacks some speed. It's attack isn't totally impotent either, and I've used a surprise Subversal set on a number of occaisions. FF'd Fire Blast + Dark/Fite physical combo is awesome.

My only concern is regarding art, actually. Don't screw Houndoom up. It's one of the best looking pokemon ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)