Failing team in Pt.

Because my old team was based too much on the D/P meta game, it somewhat failed in its attempts with the D/P/Pt meta game. So I decided to make a new team, which I actually kind of hurriedly. Yeah, and because it was made so hurriedly, it failed even in the D/P/Pt meta game, so while I get some help from you guys, I might just stick with my older team for a while. By the way, this is my first RMT – here and at any other forum.

At a glance:

Yeah, most of them are legendary.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf [Serene Grace]
24 Special Attack IVs
Jolly: 108 HP / 148 Speed / 252 Attack
- Ice Punch
- Iron Head / Zen Headbutt?
- Thunder Punch
- U-turn
---

So far, Scarved Jirachi has been a success as a lead. Then again, I have only battled a few times with this team so it may just be luck. Anyway, Thunderbolt chases away Gyarados leads and has worked against Ninjask leads. Psychic is mainly for Gengar, Machamp, and Infernape leads while U-turn deals some damage in the case I need to switch out, say against Alakazam, Azelf, Tyranitar, or Bronzong, getting rid of the sash pretty early on. I use Jirachi as a Revenge killer as well- 148 Speed EVs on a Timid nature gives him 450, which is enough to outpace Salamence after a Dragon Dance (which is what HP Ice is for). Therefore, Jirachi also gets to outpace DD Gyara, though switching in on Earthquake for the both of them is kind of risky. Jirachi also gets to outrun Scarfcross too, revenge killing with Psychic.

Celebi @ Leftovers [Natural Cure]
26 Attack IVs, 30 Speed IVs, 30 Special Attack IVs
Modest: 76 HP / 180 Speed / 252 Special Attack
- Earth Power
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunder Wave
---

Because I really do hate those CB Scizors that love to come in and U-turn, I decided to put HP Fire on Celebi. I’m just hoping I never run into one that has an Agility boost. Earth Power is actually mainly for Lucario, which Celebi beats as long as Lucario doesn’t use Crunch. Usually though, Lucario sees its chance to set up on Celebi and does Swords Dance instead, so since I get to out-speed Lucario, I ultimately win! Grass Knot is for reliable STAB of course, against Swampert and Hippowdon, while Thunder Wave is a filler for Gyara, Salamence, Kingdra- basically bulky sweepers that like to DD or Agility.

Heatran @ Leftovers [Flash Fire]
Modest: 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Substitute
- Stealth Rock
---

This is my first time using this kind of Heatran. Quite frankly, I found Scarftran very reliable for the late game, but putting another scarved Pokémon on the team is kind of dull. Besides, I thoguht I needed a Stealth Rock on my team. I’m thinking of making Heatran more offensive though, since Substitute + bulk doesn’t really appeal to me, especially when Heatran is already immune to poison and fire (WoW). The only reason I decided to put him at bulky first was because low speed + 252 Speed EVs didn’t really appeal to me … but whenever I did that, I would slap on a Choice Scarf.

[strike]Standard Tentacruel[/strike]
Oh yes, Tentacruel used to be here but I didn’t find him very useful. I thought I would need a bulky water to take water attacks, ice attacks, and a rapid spinner, but I found out that I didn’t really need Rapid Spin and Tentacruel was pretty easy to set up on (not really stellar offensively). So, I decided to use the awesome Tyraniboah.

Tyraniboah @ Leftovers [Sand Stream]
Quiet: 252 HP / 60 Attack / 28 Speed / 168 Special Attack
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Punch
- Ice Beam
- Substitute
---

Sand Stream messes up half the team, but I decided to pu Boah on the team anyway. I find him more reliable as a Special Defense wall, against boltbeamers that don’t carry surf (Porygon-Z, some Starmie, Crocune with Ice Beam, Magnezone with HP Ice) as well as Blissey/Dusknoir/Cresselia. That’s of couse, after I realized that most of my team was based on Special attackers, making Blissey pretty hard to take down. And I battled a Cresselia with my Scarfcross, failing miserably.

Rotom-w @ Choice Scarf
Modest: 32 HP / 224 Speed / 252 Special Attack
- Hydro Pump
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
---

First timers using this chump, though I used to have Rotom-c in this spot with everything the same barring Hydro Pump > Leaf Storm. I actually only had one battle with Rotom-c and thought Rotom-w would be more efficient. 224 Speed EVs allows me to beat Gyara in the who-goes-first race even after DD (with the Choice Scarf. I might lose the choice scarf in a battle against Gliscor though, since Knock happens to be super-effective, so then I at least I get to beat Gyara as long as he doesn’t have a DD). Shadow Ball helps against Gengar, Azelf, and Celebi, while Hydro Pump helps against ground-types/rock types (ground-types hit super effective on half the team and rock types get the SS Sdef boost). As for resistances, Rotom-w is supposed to help against Zapdos, Scizor w/o Night Slash, Lucario w/o Crunch, and ground attacks in general. With a resistance to electric, I usually would switch Rotom in on Electivire, hoping that I can somehow beat that thing.

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Adamant: 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Night Slash
- Stone Edge
---

I guess I just stuck this guy in, again, and like always. Heracross is my favorite Pokémon, and he’s probably the main reason for why I win most of my battles. Besides, he works well with Tyranitar (barring the residual SS damage) and provides the team with a Physical sweeper.

Flaws:
Too much choice, too much getting-out-predicted, too much phailure. My previous team had a very difficult time with Gyarados and I tried to get rid of it with this team, but it is still devastating. Jirachi and Rotom can try to revenge kill, but both have Choice Scarf and of course, who would switch in Jirachi or Rotom in on DD Gyara without a Choice Scarf? Having Jirachi as a lead may surprise at first, but in most cases, my opponent knows Jirachi has the choice Scarf and therefore out-predicts pretty easily. I’m thinking of putting Trick on Jirachi, but then I’m not all too bulky to take hits with the speed I’m left at.

A lot of Pokémon with good Sdef are a threat to the team as well. Cradily is very difficult to take down (I think, I actually haven’t encountered one with this team, actually) and Kingdra gets in DDs pretty easily, making it hard to take down without Celebi’s Thunder Wave. I just pray to god Rotom doesn’t get OHKOd by Ice Shard on Mamoswine and that Hydro Pump hits. Celebi is my only means of absoring status, and because Celebi is actually not extremely as bulky as it usually is, that status usually ends up messing up the team. Heatran and Heracross can take Will-o-Wisp/Toxic and I try to get Tyranitar to Sub up pretty quickly before getting Status as well. At least T-tar draws in Lucario, who I get to Focus Punch xD.

Maybe they aren’t as bad as it used to be, but trap teams raped my old team. Dugtrio still gets Heatran, Heracross, Tyranitar (well, not in Sub + Ice Beam xD) and now Jirachi, but I’m hoping Celebi + HP Fire reduces that proability because CB Scizor with U-turn used to be the main reason why.

I think I already mentioned it, but most of the team depends on Super effective attacks, so Pokémon that have pretty decent Special Defense are pretty annoying. Gallade, Spiritomb, Jolteon, Togekiss, and Metagross, to name a few. And without Zapdos, who I had on my old team, Togekiss, Yanmega, and Metagross are hard to get rid of. I usually try to kill Zapdos with Heracross on a revenge kill, as well as most bulky waters/metagross, since Megahorn usually 2-3HKOs these guys, who also usually 2-3HKO me, but are slower.

on your jirachi, you might want to consider trick over thunderbolt. While thunderbolt can make gyarados and ninjask afraid, trick makes them unable to set up and you can trick your scarf to both cripple another wall and give yourself the freedom to change moves after the surpise factor of the scarfed jirachi has been used.

Scofield

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
This reminds me a lot of my jirachi/celebi/heatran team, a solid core. On jirachi, if you're going to use u turn, you might as well make it a physical jirachi. The flinch rate on iron head is 60% the same as skymin's air slash. That alone has won me a lot of games.

On celebi, how much more power does earth power give you than hp fire? something like 20 points? Does that change the ko rate? I personally just go recover.

On heatran, if you want to bluff having a scarf, go ahead and use an attack boosting item like LO or expert belt.

If you want a bulky water in place of ttar still, try cursepert. Only gyarados can set up on it (and that's only once they figure out that you don't have roar) and even then you have celebi to counter, and hera, rotom, jirachi to revenge it.

3 scarfers seem like a lot, even if one has trick....

You can switch Rotom into Gyarados. It's bulky enough to survive a Waterfall, or anything Gyara can throw at him. I'd go for Max Speed though; netting you 271, after Choice Scarf you outspeed CS Hera and DDMence after a DD if it runs 270 Speed, which a lot of them do. You also outspeed Gyara.

Problems arise with DDMences who run Max Speed. 3 Scarfers is a lot; they're easy to come in on and set up. Mence could come in on Rotom's Hydro Pump or Hera's anything but Stone Edge, and set up a DD to prepare to sweep your team. After it gets the DD, it can OHKO every Pokemon on your team in one way or another if it has a Life Orb.

You have one pseudo-counter being Jirachi. However, it has to come in to revenge kill. Even Outrage does 58% - 69% damage to it, which means if you've taken some damage already you could be going down. Come in on Outrage if you have more than 69% health remaining. Otherwise, let something else die first. Of course, you could come in on the turn it DDs and kill it.

Another problem would be Dugtrio. Dugtrio can trap Jirachi if it's locked into Thunderbolt and deliver a OHKO with Earthquake if it's banded or Life Orbed. It's situational, but once Jirachi is removed (by anything) there's nothing to defend you from Mence. Heatran takes over 50% from Outrage, so depending on how the RNG is feeling you could die.

I'd recommend putting something like a Bronzong here over one of the Scarfers.

Bronzong @ Lefties
Levitate
Relaxed Nature
EVs: 252 HP/128 Atk/128 Def
~Gyro Ball
~Stealth Rock/Hypnosis/Light Screen/Earthquake
~Explosion
~Reflect/Hypnosis

Hypnosis is back to the shaky 60% accuracy in Platinum, but it's still an option. The second and fourth slots are for utility, but I'd recommend Reflect in the last one. The second one is totally down to you; if you go with Stealth Rock though, that frees up a slot on your Heatran. Reflect will help the rest of your team deal with Mence as well.

It's still a fine team, though. Good luck, hope I helped!

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Because my old team was based too much on the D/P meta game, it somewhat failed in its attempts with the D/P/Pt meta game. So I decided to make a new team, which I actually kind of hurriedly. Yeah, and because it was made so hurriedly, it failed even in the D/P/Pt meta game, so while I get some help from you guys, I might just stick with my older team for a while. By the way, this is my first RMT – here and at any other forum.

At a glance:

Yeah, most of them are legendary.

22 Attack IVs, 30 Defense IVs
Timid: 108 HP / 148 Speed / 252 Special Attack
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Psychic
-Thunderbolt
- U-turn
---

So far, Scarved Jirachi has been a success as a lead. Then again, I have only battled a few times with this team so it may just be luck. Anyway, Thunderbolt chases away Gyarados leads and has worked against Ninjask leads. Psychic is mainly for Gengar, Machamp, and Infernape leads while U-turn deals some damage in the case I need to switch out, say against Alakazam, Azelf, Tyranitar, or Bronzong, getting rid of the sash pretty early on. I use Jirachi as a Revenge killer as well- 148 Speed EVs on a Timid nature gives him 450, which is enough to outpace Salamence after a Dragon Dance (which is what HP Ice is for). Therefore, Jirachi also gets to outpace DD Gyara, though switching in on Earthquake for the both of them is kind of risky. Jirachi also gets to outrun Scarfcross too, revenge killing with Psychic.

Looks okay but IMO Physical Scarf Jirachi is better. Iron Heads flinch rate will save your ass so many times (i've won countless games because of it). Use the same EVs but replace atk with sp. atk (and change your nature to jolly). Should look like this:

24 Sp. Atk Ivs
Jolly: 108 HP / 148 Speed / 252 Attack
- Ice Punch
- Iron Head
-Thunder Punch
- U-turn

You get the same coverage but it comes with an awesome 60% flinching move plus U-turn has a lot more power. Scarf Jirachi is a great pokemon, good choice.

Celebi @ Leftovers [Natural Cure]
26 Attack IVs, 30 Speed IVs, 30 Special Attack IVs
Modest: 76 HP / 180 Speed / 252 Special Attack
- Earth Power
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunder Wave
---

Because I really do hate those CB Scizors that love to come in and U-turn, I decided to put HP Fire on Celebi. I’m just hoping I never run into one that has an Agility boost. Earth Power is actually mainly for Lucario, which Celebi beats as long as Lucario doesn’t use Crunch. Usually though, Lucario sees its chance to set up on Celebi and does Swords Dance instead, so since I get to out-speed Lucario, I ultimately win! Grass Knot is for reliable STAB of course, against Swampert and Hippowdon, while Thunder Wave is a filler for Gyara, Salamence, Kingdra- basically bulky sweepers that like to DD or Agility.

Looks good but Recover > Thunderwave.

Heatran @ Leftovers [Flash Fire]
Modest: 248 HP / 56 Special Attack / 204 Special Defense
- Earth Power
- Lava Plume
- Substitute
- Stealth Rock
---

This is my first time using this kind of Heatran. Quite frankly, I found Scarftran very reliable for the late game, but putting another scarved Pokémon on the team is kind of dull. Besides, I thoguht I needed a Stealth Rock on my team. I’m thinking of making Heatran more offensive though, since Substitute + bulk doesn’t really appeal to me, especially when Heatran is already immune to poison and fire (WoW). The only reason I decided to put him at bulky first was because low speed + 252 Speed EVs didn’t really appeal to me … but whenever I did that, I would slap on a Choice Scarf.

Looks okay. Modest + 252/252 sp.atk and speed gets the jump on tyranitar and things aiming to outspeed tyranitar and it lets you sub against them before they can status you (Thunder-wave Zapdos / Leech seed / Thunder wave Celebi, etc.)

[strike]Standard Tentacruel[/strike]
Oh yes, Tentacruel used to be here but I didn’t find him very useful. I thought I would need a bulky water to take water attacks, ice attacks, and a rapid spinner, but I found out that I didn’t really need Rapid Spin and Tentacruel was pretty easy to set up on (not really stellar offensively). So, I decided to use the awesome Tyraniboah.

Tyraniboah @ Leftovers [Sand Stream]
Quiet: 252 HP / 60 Attack / 28 Speed / 168 Special Attack
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Punch
- Ice Beam
- Substitute
---

Sand Stream messes up half the team, but I decided to pu Boah on the team anyway. I find him more reliable as a Special Defense wall, against boltbeamers that don’t carry surf (Porygon-Z, some Starmie, Crocune with Ice Beam, Magnezone with HP Ice) as well as Blissey/Dusknoir/Cresselia. That’s of couse, after I realized that most of my team was based on Special attackers, making Blissey pretty hard to take down. And I battled a Cresselia with my Scarfcross, failing miserably.

All Starmie and Suicune carry Surf. Standard.

Rotom-w @ Choice Scarf
Modest: 32 HP / 224 Speed / 252 Special Attack
- Hydro Pump
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
---

First timers using this chump, though I used to have Rotom-c in this spot with everything the same barring Hydro Pump > Leaf Storm. I actually only had one battle with Rotom-c and thought Rotom-w would be more efficient. 224 Speed EVs allows me to beat Gyara in the who-goes-first race even after DD (with the Choice Scarf. I might lose the choice scarf in a battle against Gliscor though, since Knock happens to be super-effective, so then I at least I get to beat Gyara as long as he doesn’t have a DD). Shadow Ball helps against Gengar, Azelf, and Celebi, while Hydro Pump helps against ground-types/rock types (ground-types hit super effective on half the team and rock types get the SS Sdef boost). As for resistances, Rotom-w is supposed to help against Zapdos, Scizor w/o Night Slash, Lucario w/o Crunch, and ground attacks in general. With a resistance to electric, I usually would switch Rotom in on Electivire, hoping that I can somehow beat that thing.

Looks good.

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Adamant: 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Night Slash
- Stone Edge
---

I guess I just stuck this guy in, again, and like always. Heracross is my favorite Pokémon, and he’s probably the main reason for why I win most of my battles. Besides, he works well with Tyranitar (barring the residual SS damage) and provides the team with a Physical sweeper.

You have nothing to absorb sleep (except celebi but things that carry sleep moves are usually supereffective against Celebi. Think Gengar, Yanmega, Roserade, Crobat etc.) so put Sleep Talk over Night Slash. Looks fine otherwise.

Flaws:
Too much choice, too much getting-out-predicted, too much phailure. My previous team had a very difficult time with Gyarados and I tried to get rid of it with this team, but it is still devastating. Jirachi and Rotom can try to revenge kill, but both have Choice Scarf and of course, who would switch in Jirachi or Rotom in on DD Gyara without a Choice Scarf? Having Jirachi as a lead may surprise at first, but in most cases, my opponent knows Jirachi has the choice Scarf and therefore out-predicts pretty easily. I’m thinking of putting Trick on Jirachi, but then I’m not all too bulky to take hits with the speed I’m left at.

A lot of Pokémon with good Sdef are a threat to the team as well. Cradily is very difficult to take down (I think, I actually haven’t encountered one with this team, actually) and Kingdra gets in DDs pretty easily, making it hard to take down without Celebi’s Thunder Wave. I just pray to god Rotom doesn’t get OHKOd by Ice Shard on Mamoswine and that Hydro Pump hits. Celebi is my only means of absoring status, and because Celebi is actually not extremely as bulky as it usually is, that status usually ends up messing up the team. Heatran and Heracross can take Will-o-Wisp/Toxic and I try to get Tyranitar to Sub up pretty quickly before getting Status as well. At least T-tar draws in Lucario, who I get to Focus Punch xD.

Maybe they aren’t as bad as it used to be, but trap teams raped my old team. Dugtrio still gets Heatran, Heracross, Tyranitar (well, not in Sub + Ice Beam xD) and now Jirachi, but I’m hoping Celebi + HP Fire reduces that proability because CB Scizor with U-turn used to be the main reason why.

I think I already mentioned it, but most of the team depends on Super effective attacks, so Pokémon that have pretty decent Special Defense are pretty annoying. Gallade, Spiritomb, Jolteon, Togekiss, and Metagross, to name a few. And without Zapdos, who I had on my old team, Togekiss, Yanmega, and Metagross are hard to get rid of. I usually try to kill Zapdos with Heracross on a revenge kill, as well as most bulky waters/metagross, since Megahorn usually 2-3HKOs these guys, who also usually 2-3HKO me, but are slower.

Okay, I never really thought of a physical Jirachi, but that's actually pretty cool. I might use Zen Headbutt over Iron Head, though the flinch rate is only 40%, since I won't have much to defend myself from SR Nape leads. But if someone can convince me to use Iron Head > Zen Headbutt, I'll see about it.

I don't really like putting Sleep Talk on Heracross, especially when he's scarved. Yanmega usually makes time to speed boost while I have a 66.6% chance of hitting Yanmega with a bad attack. But putting back in SLeep talking Zapdos and a Bronzong would make the team look almost identical to my old team >_>

And I'll be makig Heatran more offensive. Thanks for the re-assurance.

[edit]Okay, so I tried the new physical Jirachi and a few bad things:
- Intimidate leads screw me up, which means I don't get to OHKO Gyarados or Salamence leads.
- Once I'm burned, I'm practically useless. Jirachi isn't too strong and I'm on Jolly Nature, so with Scarf + Jolly Nature means attack isn't too strong.
- I don't get to OHKO Gliscor.[/edit]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)