Is there an "OK COMPUTER" of the 2000's?

Let me clarify my question. As alot of us already know, Radiohead's "Ok Computer" was a ground breaking album of the 90's. Many critics and websites consider it to be the best album of the 90's as well as myself. Do you feel, there is an album out from 2000 - 2009 that is up there with Ok Computer? Or, What do you consider to be the best album from 2000 - 2009?

Rules
- Any Genre will suffice

Personally, I feel that the top 3 albums of the 2000's would have to be:

Andrew Bird - Armchair Apochrypha

Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake and It's Morning

Oceansize - Effloresce

PROCEED

For me it's definitely Mew - Frengers, but I'm just a huge huge fan and many people don't even know of this band. Effloresce is pretty epic. On a global perspective, media included, I'd settle for Aracde Fire - Funeral for album of this decade (for now). Sigur Ros - Takk is my personal favourite #2 of this decade.

I've heard/listened to both Arcade Fire and Sigur Ros. I haven't really given either of them a chance but I may be missing out. Effloresce is very epic, probably one of the best debut albums I've ever heard.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

bunch of others

I wasn't into music when OK Computer came out, so I don't know the kind of praise and media coverage the album got. The album is well deserving of Album of the 90's though!

For this decade (which we have another year of, so maybe we shouldn't speak too soon!) Arcade Fire's Funeral is a good candidate. My absolute favorite album was praised by everyone. The media loved it but didn't rape it, and fans fell in love with it and now we all have to scream "Wake Up" as loud as we can at the end of all their shows (which is an absolutely amazing experience by the way, to sing along with that song as loud as you can with thousands of fans). Is this band really as ground breaking as Radiohead was in the 90's is the question.

I know it doesn't necessarily have to be a Radiohead album, but In Rainbows is also another good candidate. I think you also have to ask yourself "Is this album just really really good and is praised by the media, or has it had a huge impact on the music industry as a whole" when trying to come up with an answer to your daunting question. In Rainbows was praised both for it's music (impossible to rate the Radiohead albums in order, but In Rainbows for me is somewhere around third) and it's impact on the industry because of the way it was released. They not only released an amazing album, but they also completely flipped an industry that was slowly bleeding out.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Oof. Bright Eyes? Really?

Also, while Armchair Apocrypha is a really god album it is not as good as The Mysterious Production of Eggs and also Noble Beast (which is fantastic. Pick it up Tuesday).

I would argue that one of Animal Collective's albums (one of these three: Sung Tongs, Strawberry Jam, Merriweather Post Pavillion) will ultimately end up being billed as the most important album of the decade. It could really go to any of the three. MY personal choice would be Sung Tongs, but I feel like Strawberry Jam will ultimately get the nod as it signaled this "new direction" in Animal Collective's music, taking it away from "freak folk" and into just "weird pop."

Arcade Fire's Funeral will not end up the most important album the 00's in large part because of the failure of Neon Bible (not a good album). While Funeral is a great album, the backlash that came from Neon Bible has spilled onto Funeral and, honestly, it really doesn't stack up too well on repeated listens (relatively).

Godspeed! have long since faded into irrelevancy. Whereas post-rock was a strong player early in the decade it has really faded out of the conscience of the "mass" "indie" community.

In Rainbows will be forever remembered more for how it was sold and delivered than the actual music so that is out.

Sigur Ros falls under the same as Godspeed (though it should be noted that these two artists' most 'important' albums weren't mentioned, that is Agaetis Byrjun and Lift Yr Skinny Fists Like Antennae to Heaven respectively).

My "dark horse" candidate for album of the decade is probably The Microphones - The Glow, Pt. 2. I don't think there has been another album this decade as... complete as this one. Fantastic songs, fantastic atmosphere, and it works as an album.

(also, shout out to The Dismemberment Plan but Change won't be anyone's best of the decade ;D!)

I already have noble beast, and its good, but i just absolutely love armchair apochrypha, and theres a ton of hype about MPP (which i also have) Ill have to check out my dark horse though. Dismemberment plan owns!! Your avatar has been my desktop for about 2 weeks lol

CONOR OBERST OF BRIGHT EYES IS AMAZING!

Nevermind broke the 90s ground.

Mogwai's Young Team for the 00's, or, to go more mainstream: First Impressions of Earth, the Strokes.

As much as I love Godspeed, Sigur Ros, Mogwai, Arcade Fire, Andrew Bird, not-Bright Eyes etc., they aren't nearly as groundbreaking as both OK Computer and Nevermind, imo, and in order to even rival the aforementioned albums they should actually CHANGE THE FACE OF MODERN MUSIC, or at least be really, really popular.

"Elephant", by the White Stripes, "Is this it", by the Strokes, "Elephant eyelash" by Why?, "✝" by Justice, and "Kid A" by Radiohead were some of my favorite albums of the past decade, but lets be fair.

"Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots" is the album of this decade.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

This gets my nod for most important album of the 00s

my top 3 would be rounded out by: funeral - arcade fire, turn on the bright lights - interpol.

None of these three are my fav album of the 00s (that goes to Broken Social Scene - You Forgot it in People), but i am just going by what kind of effect the album had on the shape of music as a whole. To me, Modest Mouse's "The Moon and Antartica", though released early in the decade, was the most influential album.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For the genres of music I like, these have been some of the best and most important for said genre in recent memory:

Brand New - Deja Entendu
Fall Out Boy - Take This to Your Grave
Houston Calls - A Collection of Short Stories
Motion City Soundtrack - Commit This to Memory
The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus - Don't You Fake It
YouMeAtSix - Take Off Your Colours

"Elephant", by the White Stripes, "Is this it", by the Strokes, "Elephant eyelash" by Why?, "✝" by Justice, and "Kid A" by Radiohead were some of my favorite albums of the past decade, but lets be fair.

"Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots" is the album of this decade.
OMG I completely forgot about Yoshimi Battle the Pink Robots

and saying Kid A is better than OK COMPUTER is just a matter of opinion, i happen to agree but meh.

The simple answer is that there is no OK Computer of the 2000s. Funeral may be the closest, although Neon Bible did absolutely taint Arcade Fire and thus, as only the second full album, Funeral (as boy evan already said).

Why even bring up a band like Red Jumpsuit Apparatus or Fall Out Boy, havak? Neither of those could make a top 100 all time album if they became 10 times better than they presently are, so they are certainly irrelevant here.

The only album I can really think of any band I like is Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatarium, but that is nowhere near popular enough to go with it being critically good.

Blackwater Park is not in the conversation because metal is just not popular enough at present. The overwhelming rise of death metal as the most supported on tours like Ozzfest has not helped, as that is going to raise scorn with the rest of the masses more than regular old 'heavy metal' like Metallica and Megadeth and, if you want to count them as metal, the Guns 'n' Roses did. Nothing like Arcturus, Agalloch, whatever can be in the conversation. It it sad but cannot be helped.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
agalloch and arcturus and opeth are better than anything mentioned here period it is about quality not genre

I didnt see that post...

FALLOUT BOY? MOTION CITY SOUNDTRACK? RED JUMPSUIT APARATUS???

Cmon dude, thats not music, thats a buncha of teenybopper girl music which is shown on mtv...

wow

The simple answer is that there is no OK Computer of the 2000s.
I pretty much agree with this but...
The only album I can really think of any band I like is Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatarium, but that is nowhere near popular enough to go with it being critically good.
I woulda said Frances the Mute, imo its this where they really develop a unique sound. If only it got more commercial success

Oh and I also think OK computer is certainly > Kid A but both nice :P

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, when you say any genre, I assume any genre, and I'm comparing them to that genre only which I've obviously listened to a lot of.

But anyway, music is far too opinionated for a real debate to take place IMO. Each to their own.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
my vote would be for Arcade Fire - Funeral, who gives a shit about neon bible

flaming lips - yoshimi battles the pink robots was good

so was dj shadow - endtroducing...

interpol - turn on the bright lights is consistently awesome

pt - in absentia, lightbulb sun, deadwing

opeth - blackwater park is one of the best albums of all time

wilco - yankee hotel foxtrot

shins - chutes too narrow

the national - alligator

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i am finding it pretty retarded that a brilliant album is being slated because it's predecessor was simply amazing

sure it doesn't deserve to be considered as the iconic album of the 2000s (i won't call it the "OK COMPUTER of the 2000s" because that is fucking insulting), but Neon Bible is a damn good album with not a single bad track

agalloch and arcturus and opeth are better than anything mentioned here period it is about quality not genre
Good choices, but those bands don't have the mainstream appeal of something like OK Computer and I don't think they can be paralleled to them. It's not really a matter of genre but more of accessibility, and it'd be hard to call those albums albums of the decade. I'd also argue that they are musically superior, but I'm a metalhead so it doesn't really matter. For the hell of it, my 5 star albums of the decade (from Rateyourmusic) are:

Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors (prog metal)
Coldworld - Melancholie² (black metal)
Darkspace - Darkspace II (black metal)
Darkspace - Darkspace III (black metal)
Disillusion - Back to Times of Splendor (prog metal)
The Mars Volta - Amputechture (prog rock)
Monumentum - Ad Nauseum (trip hop)
Moonsorrow - Verisäkeet (folk metal)
Negură Bunget - Om (black metal)
Portishead - Third (trip hop)
Ulver - Blood Inside (electronic)
Virus - The Black Flux (psychedelic metal)
Void of Silence - Human Antithesis (doom metal)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)