The Soccer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the real key to liverpool's future success is the play of Xavi Alonso and Robbie Keane. We all know that Gerrard/Torres will put up points, so there's no point in arguing that. However, unless Keane can find a way to reproduce with Torres what he did with tottenham with berbatov, i'm afraid it may be too much to ask. Alonso is going to have to continue to open up the defences and create opportunities. Haha, whatever the case, i'm quite content with that 5-1 thrashing of Newcastle. Let's hope gerrard gets off easy in court.

Unfortunately for you lot Alonso might be injured with a bunch of massive games coming up in the next few weeks. Even if he's fine, there's still the chance he'll go to Juve, and you'll sign... Aaron Lennon.

Unfortunately for you lot Alonso might be injured with a bunch of massive games coming up in the next few weeks. Even if he's fine, there's still the chance he'll go to Juve, and you'll sign... Aaron Lennon.

What! Alonso in Juve!

YAY!!!

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hope United can beat Derby and Chelsea this week, really looking forward to this weekend now.

We're still not in full flow yet, but we're winning and not letting goals in, so that's great to see.

What! Alonso in Juve!

YAY!!!
That rumour's been going since the summer.

I'm pretty apprehensive about my lot's FA Cup draw - Kettering away shouldn't be a problem for any prem team on paper, but we're a team that traditionally doesn't travel well, up against non-league opposition who will be desperate for a high-profile scalp.

Alonso won't move. We won't sign anyone. Although I'd like Valencia or a true right winger in the team even though Kuyt's done all right there.

Kuyt is a lump. And is you sign Barry like you seem determined on doing then Alonso's outta there. Despite the fact that he's actually younger and better.

if Benitez decides to get rid of a quality player like Alonso and replace him with shit like Barry after the season that Alonso has had, he'd be off his head. Even more so than in the summer when he tried to do it.

Well in the summer, benitez had a point. Alonso hadn't had a single decent game for us in the past two seasons and Barry was performing very well for Villa. That said, 80% of the Pool fans preferred Alonso to Barry because of his skill on the ball. But after the performances Alonso has put in this season, there's no way he will be sold.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Ugh, Manchester United are right on our heels now. Still, I'd rather have the points in the bag than a few games in hand.

Havak

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Glad we closed the gap, but losing Rooney could be costly. At least we have the cover, bring on Bolton.

its £100m which is even worse, not to mention £500k a week and the monstrous signing on fee that he would get.

Havak

Kaka won't sign for Manchester City.

He thought he was signing for Manchester United until his agent told him when they arrived in England for a meeting, he thought he was signing for a proper football team, so he changed his mind and went home.

Bolton is a tough game for us tomorrow... hope we win, any win will do, but I have a feeling we'll be knobs and draw it, but if Liverpool draw with Everton, which I think they still will, it won't be as costly.

Rooney, Ferdinand, Brown, Hargreaves, Evra, Fabio, Evans, and Tévez are all injured or major doubts.

Chester is being called up from the reserves team, but I'd probably expect Neville to start at centreback ahead of him. Giggs might start again, but he may be forced to play support striker with Berbatov if Tévez doesn't make it, and if Fergie is reluctant to start Welbeck. We've just sent Manucho off to Hull for the rest of the season too...

Maybe Sir Alex will risk going for a front three of Nani, Berbatov and Ronaldo, and utilize the energy of a midfield trio with Giggs, Fletcher and Park. Or perhaps have Park on the wing over Nani (I know Park will play) and use Carrick in the middle.

Goals might be even more difficult to come by now, I bet we fluke it with a Ronaldo penalty.

Bolton 0-1 Man Utd, anyway.

Kaka won't sign for Manchester City.

He thought he was signing for Manchester United until his agent told him when they arrived in England for a meeting, he thought he was signing for a proper football team, so he changed his mind and went home.

Bolton is a tough game for us tomorrow... hope we win, any win will do, but I have a feeling we'll be knobs and draw it, but if Liverpool draw with Everton, which I think they still will, it won't be as costly.

Rooney, Ferdinand, Brown, Hargreaves, Evra, Fabio, Evans, and Tévez are all injured or major doubts.

Chester is being called up from the reserves team, but I'd probably expect Neville to start at centreback ahead of him. Giggs might start again, but he may be forced to play support striker with Berbatov if Tévez doesn't make it, and if Fergie is reluctant to start Welbeck. We've just sent Manucho off to Hull for the rest of the season too...

Maybe Sir Alex will risk going for a front three of Nani, Berbatov and Ronaldo, and utilize the energy of a midfield trio with Giggs, Fletcher and Park. Or perhaps have Park on the wing over Nani (I know Park will play) and use Carrick in the middle.

Goals might be even more difficult to come by now, I bet we fluke it with a Ronaldo penalty.

Bolton 0-1 Man Utd, anyway.
This game is built for Anderson IMO. I don't see Scholes playing with Bolton's physicality and having played mid week. Hope to God that Evans is fit or we're screwed. I'm not too keen at Neville at CB as you can damn right guarantee Davies will be on his back the whole match, although Neville is ridiculously good at handling beasts like him with positioning and good play, he's still 3/4 inches shorter than Davies and I'm not confident in O'Shea and Rafael stopping the wings.

--------- VDS --------------
Neville - O'Shea - Vidic - Giggs
-Carrick - Fletcher - Anderson -
---- Nani ------ Ronaldo ---
----------Berbatov--------

Swap Tevez for Nani if fit, changing into a 4-4-2 at times with Fletcher on the right or 4-3-3 otherwise. Swap Evans for Giggs if fit and switch O'Shea to LB.

Edit: And the teams are:

1423: TEAMS Bolton v Man Utd
Bolton: Jaaskelainen, Steinsson, Cahill, Andrew O'Brien, Samuel, Davies, Basham, Muamba, Gardner, Taylor, Makukula. Subs: Bogdan, Smolarek, Riga, Puygrenier, Shittu, Sinclair, Obadeyi.
Man Utd: Van der Sar, Neville, Vidic, Evans, O'Shea, Fletcher, Carrick, Anderson, Ronaldo, Tevez, Berbatov. Subs: Kuszczak, Giggs, Park, Nani, Scholes, Welbeck, Chester.
Guess who predicted it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)