Status
Not open for further replies.
Raikou
Shaymin
Gallade
Straptor
Spiritomb
Crobat

Looking at the list of suspects i dont find any of those to be particularily broken in my opinion. The most broken one on there would have to be Shaymin as it has a base of 600 making it the highest based pokemon in nUU coupled with an excellent ability. It can do its damage, Rest and simply switch out and regain its full health. The only Pokemon that come close to Shaymins base 600 that I know of (correct me if Im wrong) are; The Regis weighing in at 580 each. Also the Legendary puppies Raikou and Entei both weigh in at 580. Im not sure what comes after that. But Shaymin and Raikou are both marked for elevation from what ive read.

I am surprised to see that nobody has talked about marking the Regis for elevation. For one, their base is plausable for OU. And they have to ability to Curse, Amnesia, and Rest it off to wall again. Infact, the Regis are the only thing that i've found to be over-powered in nUU. Take my word for it and check out this broken Regirock!

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP/252 SDef/8 Atk
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Curse
- Rest
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

The only attacks that can really stop this thing in a sandstorm are; Tricking a choice item, Haze, and Phazing whilst it sleeps, and critical hits which may still not even come close to finishing Regirock off. Coupled with his evil friend the Uxie-

Uxie @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/252 Spd/4 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Memento
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Stealth Rock

Thus giving the Regirock many a time to curse up because at this point attacking Regirock does effectively **** and Memento forces a switch.

Provided sandstorm is still in effect, boosting his Special Defenses to hights of up to 492 (and ever higher with Light Screen). Thus requiring Regis' opponent to change the weather to bring him back down to 328 special defense (massive) and proceed to attacking with super effective special attacks. By this point the Regirock may have a few curses under its belt and is more then capable to 2KO or even OHKO his supposed counter and rest it off. He cannot be shut down by status ailments due to rest.

As for Abomasnow being broken. Its been said before that STAB 120 base moves are nothing new at all. Thunder gets 100% accuracy in Rain with a 30% chance or paralysis. Blizzard still retains a 10% Freeze. Say a Crobat sets up Rain and uturns to a Specs Ludicolo with swift swim. 120 Hydro Pump + STAB = 180 + Rain attack boost = 270 plus Specs = 405. not to mention swift swim. I see nobody complaining about this weather effect being broken. Or overpowerd. Hail does not boost the power of Ice type attacks im certain. The only thing going for Hail is 100% accuracy Blizzard. Snow Cloak and giving Wailrein a 12% heal everyturn provided he has leftovers. Sandstorm on the other hand boosts all rock types special defense a whole stage. Making Cradily, Regirock, and Shuckle super tanks. Nobody complains about this either. It is, fair game.

As for Abomasnow being overpowered. Let me remind you of his weaknesses. He's only kept in check by Poison, Steel, Rock, Fire, Flying, Bug AND FIGHTING. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7!!!! weaknesses. 7 weaknesses that keep him checked. I think we can all agree on one thing. His typing is crap, and he can't come in on alot of stuff.

To take away a whole weather effect from the game just to appease people who have a hard time adapting to it is bogus. And for the reasons ive listed above, Sandstorm makes things more broken. Sandslash and Cacturn both have Sand Veil.

Anywayz... thats my rant for now. You all think about it. Maybe next we can... well, we can Ban Clefable ^__^
[/B]

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is the problem Regirock itself, or is it the Sandstorm that makes it impossible to kill it? Without SS I don't think killing it would be a problem at all, especially because stuff like Shaymin and Slowbro exist.

You also forget that Hail is permanent, Rain is not. And Abomasnow only needs to survive one turn to set it up, so he's already fulfilled his support duties simply by existing, regardless of whether he's weak to every type in the game or not.

Slaking has Truant, so you might as well say he's base 300 or something like that. Not broken by any means.

On Shaymin, more people should start trying Synthesis over Rest. You're not going to be Resting in the middle of Hail anyways (which would ruin Synthesis) because you'd be killed, and if you Synthesis on a switch or something, you're not forced to switch out or be useless for 2 turns. If you're statused, you can still just switch out the normal way.

Anywayz... thats my rant for now. You all think about it. Maybe next we can... well, we can Ban Clefable ^__^
[/b]
Seriously though... Clefable is perhaps the best Pokemon in the game. Hands down. She has solid stats, AMAZING movepool, and perhaps one of the best abilities in the game. Clefable for UBERs. Just kidding.

Also to make this a more productive post. How do you guys work around Registeel? I mean I swear the thing always has 6 moves while I play against it... T-Wave, Stealth Rock, Ice Punch, Explosion, Iron Head... Rock Slide. I mean he just sits there and does nothing but I want to be able to take advantage of that nothing.. Torterra perhaps?

Rock Polish/Swords Dance Torterra gets free set-up on many Registeel. The only things it can really do are Ice Punch or Explode, and it's nice to be able to set-up without getting hit with T-Wave, which I see quite often on Registeel. Camerupt gets around Registeel quite well also.

Gallade has a lot of aspects that make it broken. Even in LonelyNess's counter list, 2 of the 3 final counters are weak to its secondary STAB. Yes, Gallade is not awesomely fast, but it isn't slow either, and has great special defense. It can use SD, or can use Bulk Up to boost its defense at the same time. It has massive type coverage in its movepool, being able to hit anything super effective save Spiritomb. It can Twave or Hypnosis to get rid of its potential counters, since it really only needs 2 attaxcking moves.

Though one thing LN forgot in his calculations is that several of those Pokemon could paralyze/sleep Gallade and incapacitate him that way, it's risky though.

And on a side note, if a Pokemon has to run multiple Hidden Powers to beat all of its counters that will mean it has several counters, since you can only have one Hidden Power at a time of course. My point was that Raikou has a lot of counters, especially compared to some other things in UU (Staraptor,Gallade).

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Registeel was pretty annoying for me to face at first, but I found that it could be used as set up bait. Omastar, Steelix, Nidoqueen, Clefable, Chansey, Cloyster, etc. can all set up their various entry hazards in relative safety on it. For the more offensive minded teams, Torterra can easily switch in on it, as can Camerupt and Rotom.

It would be nice if people actually read through posts before responding, but I realize that's probably asking too much, eh?

As for the Regis and curse sets, have you ever heard of Encore? Clefable itself ruins every curser in UU and only is concerned about switching in on random t-waves (and even then it's not nearly as bad as a sweeper switching in on it). Taunt and Roar are always there as temporary solutions, too.

Also, BST means little and always has. Articuno has 580, is it too powerful for UU? Arcanine has the highest total of any non-legendary, what about it? Heracross and Bronzong have the same BST as Rapidash and Politoad. And so on..

Looking at the list of suspects i dont find any of those to be particularily broken in my opinion. The most broken one on there would have to be Shaymin as it has a base of 600 making it the highest based pokemon in nUU coupled with an excellent ability.
[/b]
Not to mention it's terrible move pool. Shaymin is no where near broken in UU, it's just a difficult thing to take down in terms of bulkiness.

Exclamation Point: Seriously though... Clefable is perhaps the best Pokemon in the game. Hands down. She has solid stats, AMAZING movepool, and perhaps one of the best abilities in the game. Clefable for UBERs. Just kidding.

Yeah. Its the best pokemon in UU by a long shot = too good. Ban it!

With Clefable out of the way... Muahahahahahah

On another note. Shaymin's movepool isnt that bad. Honestly. Seed Flare, Earth Power, Air Slash, Hp Ice/Fire Rest, Aromatheripy, Synthesis. It can really cover quite alot. But Im still not sold on banning it either. I want to ban as little as possible aswell.

Syberia

[custom user title]
Not to mention it's terrible move pool. Shaymin is no where near broken in UU, it's just a difficult thing to take down in terms of bulkiness.
Shallow movepool, maybe. Bad in terms of coverage? No way.
It can hit everything with at least a 140-power (super-effective Hidden Power) move with just Seed Flare, Earth Power, and HP Ice. Except Venomoth, Ariados, and Beedrill, but if you're really worried about those, you can use Air Slash.

^ Also Articuno, Moltres, Charizard, Abomasnow, Pinsir, Wormadam-S, Shedinja, Weezing, Volbeat, Illumise and Kricketune. Air Slash would cover all but 4 of these, but the best 4-move coverage would probably be Seed Flare, Earth Power, Air Slash and HP Rock. That would be able to hit all fully-evolved Pokemon except Weezing and Wormadam-S for at least 140 effective base power. Not quite perfect, but I guess that's more of a testament to how bad Grass STAB is overall in terms of coverage. Just an interesting aside.

I will say Marowak is a devastating wall breaking. It really damages pokemon that are slower than it. The swords dance set, OHKO's nearly every wall that try to wall it. With 100 Base Defense, a simple 252 HP / 252 Attack / 6 Def EV Spread is good enough to take unboosted physical attacks. I must say Porygon2 does a better job at OU than UU.

It would be nice if people actually read through posts before responding, but I realize that's probably asking too much, eh?

As for the Regis and curse sets, have you ever heard of Encore? Clefable itself ruins every curser in UU and only is concerned about switching in on random t-waves (and even then it's not nearly as bad as a sweeper switching in on it). Taunt and Roar are always there as temporary solutions, too.

Also, BST means little and always has. Articuno has 580, is it too powerful for UU? Arcanine has the highest total of any non-legendary, what about it? Heracross and Bronzong have the same BST as Rapidash and Politoad. And so on..
Infact, the most extreme example to demonstrate that Base Stat Totals don't mean everything is that Ponyta has a higher stat total than Dugtrio!!

Take my word for it and check out this broken Regirock!

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP/252 SDef/8 Atk
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Curse
- Rest
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

The only attacks that can really stop this thing in a sandstorm are; Tricking a choice item, Haze, and Phazing whilst it sleeps, and critical hits which may still not even come close to finishing Regirock off.
[/b]
Hey, that's the Regirock my brother added to my stall team! I agree it is pretty good, but not nearly invincible. Even in the sandstorm it is susceptible to strong STAB super-effective attacks, of which there are many, so I wouldn't vouch for Regirock in BL (facing these I've also had few problems). However, it does do amazing against the likes of Raikou, Staraptor, Spiritomb, etc.

Regirock is pretty good, but steelix can still roar or taunt it and you can always use cursing Quagsire or CMBro, :p. I personally think the best pokemon in UU right now is probably Clefable, unless you have a counter to it, it's pretty much indestructible in the right hands. But do to its massive amount of sets there is no real Clefable counter, besides maybe restalk hariyama. The most annoying or supportful sets are probably the ones that use encore and thunder wave. With those two moves clefable is able to ruin set ups for your pokes and cripple sweepers, while still being able to seismic toss your tanks to death (if they don't have recovery). Meanwhile Clefable can do this all day long since it is not vulnerable to entry hazards or most statuses.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys, did you miss me?

Here's my list of common things people talk about that I'm not going to vote BL on, if it comes to it. I'll try to explain them.

Crobat - I thought LN was joking when he first told me about this, but the "fast Weather support" it provides isn't in and of itself broken. Any Pokémon can accomplish what Crobat can, and the advantages he has over other tanks (fast Taunt and recovery) aren't exactly "pushing a borderline broken move over the edge". I think the Support criterion for Uber is the one to be taken most conservatively, and banning Crobat for the Sunny Day support would be the equivalent of banning Electrode for the Rain Dance support or banning Ambipom for NP passing.

Any Regi - Regice is nowhere near broken, as it's still pretty horrible in New UU. Basically, Ice is almost unslavagable as a typing. Regirock is much better all around, but the lack of Sand to support it as well as the slightly unfortunate typing prevent it from walling an extremely large amount of the metagame. Registeel would be the deal breaker here, as it's very, very bulky and has a really good typing. I can see it becoming potentially BL if the Fire types and Fighting types get the boot, but for now them (and many others like Hariyama) keep it very very firmly in check. Also, Torterra comes in on everybody but Regice and rapes them.

Spiritomb - People compare him to Lugia defensively a lot with Calm Mind and all (even though that's not even how Lugia plays, it's a good wall with Speed!), I compare it to Suicune. Crocune in OU and CroTomb in UU are basically the same: Effective sets that don't break the game. A lot of Pokémon can 2HKO Spiritomb and take one Dark Pulse, or CM up with it, or phaze it, that it ends up being roughly like Crocune; will do well against a weak or weakened team, but otherwise is perfectly counterable. If you stretch the analogy far, you can argue that Crocune has weaknesses and Spiritomb does not, but more things can 2HKO Spiritomb without using a weakness than can 2HKO Suicune. The other sets are not problematic for UU.

That's all I have for now.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hariyama needs Guts to handle the Flame-Orb Tricking, even if it has rest-talk. Too bad that Guts > Thick Fat pretty much takes out all the utility it's supposed to have against hail teams and all the hard-hitting fire types.

uu is getting boring. whle people seem to say nothing is worthy of being broken, it's probably cause the exact same 10 pokes are used each time. of course, every metagame and generation has a group of 'overused' things in it, but seriously, this uu is like literally 10 same things over and over again.

on another note sd abomasnow is awesome. it's like "lol did clefable seriously just switch in"

Sort of agree with that^^
Its true that EVERY team has one of either Raikou, Staraptor, Crobat or Shaymin. And theres not alot of variety between teams, as most of the offensive teams look similar and most of the stall teams look similar. Balanced teams though, they vary alot.
Old UU actually had more variation more often imho

Syberia

[custom user title]
Staraptor is the only thing I can see being completely broken at the moment, with the ability to 2HKO anything in the game, and backing all of that up with U-Turn. If you're slower and don't predict absolutely perfectly (not only predicting the U-Turn but predicting the switch-in as well), you're essentially at its mercy.

I just got into nUU, so I can't really say what is "broken" or not, but hail is a bitch to play with. I wouldn't be surprised nor upset to see it go (yes, preemptive judgement but it's brutal).

Hail is very good, so you kind of have to pre-empt it and put a counter on your team, like Clefable, a random weather changer ect.

On another note, I put skill swap on my Uxie as filler, and its not so bad. I lol at Clefables when they lose their precious magic guard and start taking toxic and weather damage

I use 2 different teams in UU, both with great success, and I don't use Staraptor, Shaymin or Raikou. The only "suspect" I use is Spiritomb, because I need a Gallade counter...

Anyway, how will be the vote about UU suspects?

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The OP gives a general lay-out Trust. Also, the details will come when the time draws a bit closer.

Residual damage is very important so far in this metagame. Spikes and Stealth Rock just ease a sweep so much in this UU. Also with near impenetrable anti-spinners like Spiritomb available now, it's quite easy to lay those entry hazards and laugh at any attempts Claydol or Hitmontop have to try to Rapid Spin away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)